• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Yeah, we can totally do this after SiP, and I'm sure we can hammer out all the details in a bit. I'm definitely excited about having a thread with people following along and reading a specific book. Should bring about some great focused discussion.

I'm looking forward to it!

Stray Bullets for book club #2? I'd be down for that.

I'd want to do this too!! I bought that Uber edition when it came out, so I'd love to sit down and read it with you guys.

frye

See if there are any Greg Rucka comics you think she might like.
For that matter I sadly have no Thread creation privileges to make a Greg Rucka thread.
I should write up one though :V

I remember Spike had a really long post that went into basically everything Rucka did until Punisher/Lazarus

oh neat

to anyone: I've never read Joker by Azz/Bermejo, is it worth $5?

yes its really good. A different take on Joker (more of a Ledger version of Joker) and a perspective of the character. It follows one member of his gang and the tight wire act it is being part of his crew

And Bermejo's art is great. Definitely worth $5

ah shit i forgot to download Inhuman #1
yes its really good. A different take on Joker (more of a Ledger version of Joker) and a perspective of the character. It follows one member of his gang and the tight wire act it is being part of his crew

And Bermejo's art is great. Definitely worth $5

all i needed to hear. bought!

aaaaand shit of course i immediately notice Deadpool: The Gauntlet being on sale right after i buy it. I've been wanting to read it digitally but couldn't justify 13 $3 issues. And the sale is apparently going on til the 4th of January? Huh, that seems like a mistake, but i'll take it

frye

yeah, it's not as good as it sounds. Christina Strain's colouring is pretty garish and doesn't complement Rios's art which needs a finer touch than a lot of other artists and Waid's take on Strange is ehhhh.

The Oath and Defenders #4 remain the high watermarks for modern Strange, I think

yeah, I figure if i don't hear it talked about as a "great Doc Strange story" given how few of those there are, it's probably better on paper. At least there's Rios on Doc Strange Season One, which looks good from previews.

Defenders #4 is great though. The only issue I read of Fraction Defenders that i actually liked

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Yes, yes I do.

Check out Superior Foes of Spider-Man! It's so good.
I've read it, and it is so good!

Wood's run has been... okish. It started well enough, but it got more boring with every new issue. It doesn't help that he dropped the one story per issue format in favor of a longer arc...

I think you're better off finishing the run at #6
Alright, I didn't know it was one story per issue-- that'll make it easier to stop at #6.

Tizoc

I skimmed the first page of that thread and WTF there was a Mark Waid/Emma Rios Dr Strange mini?

yeah, it's not as good as it sounds. Christina Strain's colouring is pretty garish and doesn't complement Rios's art which needs a finer touch than a lot of other artists and Waid's take on Strange is ehhhh.

The Oath and Defenders #4 remain the high watermarks for modern Strange, I think

Yeah and it was really good, one of my fav. Waid minis too. It was at the time Strange wasn't Sorceror Supreme.
Thanks for the link.

Yo this comics book club is turning out to be pretty hype. Definitely down for SB next.

This is one of the few times I'm happy I haven't read Sandman yet. By the time I get around to reading Sandman, Overture will be completed.

God dammit Kipp there is absolutely no time you should be glad you haven't read Sandman yet.

Napoleon-Dynamite-slaps-kip-and-runs-GIF.gif

Ugh. The Oath is so good. BKV ma' boi!

We should do Stray Bullets for the next reading club! I bought the omnibus in the summer, i still need to go through it. I was reading through the Stray Bullet trades back in the day but lost track of them, and I felt given how he weaves the timelines, characters, etc that reading it all in one go is the better method.

In other news, SiP is sooooo good. Re-reading it again has been awesome. The only problem is its tough to switch back to my other comics after reading it.

I should be getting Stray Bullets Uber Alles Ed for Christmas. Looks awesome, I love black and white books.

Mindwipe

If you don't already have All-star Superman and don't bite for five dollars I don't know what to tell you.

Thinking of picking up Stray Bullets, always willing to help a budding comic superstar in need. Don't know what else to add to my order other than manga......

I think I'm starting to get over Gotham Academy. Latest issue felt... meh? Art is fantastic, but the characters are starting to grate and feel a bit cutesy for the sake of feeling cutesy. There's no feeling of danger or real mystery here.

That said, I was a bit shocked (in a good way) at the connection between Gotham Academy and Arkham Manor. That at least answered one of the big questions about Gotham Academy.

Arkham Manor also feels good, but not living up to its potential. Art is weird, but I like it well enough. I don't really get much of a horror vibe here when this series would be perfect as a psychological horror tale.

Gotham by Midnight #1 was fantastic though. Loved the art, the creepy horror vibe, Corrigan is cool, the scare at the end was effective, and everything is so goddamn moody. Love it.

Sex Criminals #9 was great as well. I liked the shift to Jazzmine St. Cocaine, that shit was really well-written, and great (sexy, fucked up sexy) art. This series continues to make me laugh out loud.
I hope John and Suzie recruit and Ocean's 11 of sex time freaks to take on the Sex Police

lol, horology.

Then unfortunately I got interrupted and didn't get a chance to read the rest of my stack. Today will be Southern Bastards, Wytches, Black Widow, Punisher, and Moon Knight. Was Deathlok 2 released yet? Wasn't in my pile.

I like the second one more. Big ass Parlov Punisher is the best. This giant hulking brute of a man.

v04.04.jpg

I love Parlov's work. He turned out to be my favorite MAX artist, but I love Gerad's work and depiction of Frank in the current series.

But the quality in the latest issues just seems weirdly inconsistent, and yes, a little Parlovian.

Love the last sequence in 12 though:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/8250df1f56dc022cc5598b982a925861/tumblr_nfenmfXwWQ1rwjzsco1_1280.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/1908ede260a5306c12e17866ce2e7445/tumblr_nfenmfXwWQ1rwjzsco2_1280.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ef0f7bdbb6c9112663c4a56509759969/tumblr_nfenmfXwWQ1rwjzsco3_1280.png

http://41.media.tumblr.com/37c46280be292a3b79f39aa9c5d1f341/tumblr_nfenmfXwWQ1rwjzsco4_1280.png

Gerads fucking nailed that one. I'd just put the images up, but I dunno if that'd constitute a spoiler, even though it's baller as fuck.

Yeah, the earlier issues were consistently great, but the later ones are inconsistent. It's weird, cause Frank looked so awesome in the earlier issues, but now he barely looks like that?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Was craving a bit of Joker so I re-read a couple issues of Batman RIP. Morrison is too good. After I started reading it I remembered all of the amazing stuff that was going to happen. So many awesome moments.

This is real.

THIS IS REAL.

Amazing.

I dunno what the hell is going on with Mitch Gerads in Punisher. He went from this:

to this:

The fuck????????????????

Maybe he started tracing a different artist.

Cheska

Ms. Marvel is still really good if you were wondering. Issue 10 was a delight.
How funny, I literally just finished reading that before leaving for work a few minutes ago. Love the book, but I am excited for this storyline to end.

Haven't seen much talk about Black Widow this week. Did anyone else read the issue? It's so damn beautiful. Also features an appearance by everyone's favorite bro bro.

lol,, he is starting to look like Johnny Brovo
It's not Mitch Gerard, just a fill in.
Does suck tho theres always fill in artist. Main reason I like the books is Gerard's art.

No, that's from Issue 12. Not a fill-in, Gerads did it, cause the same issue has that sequence that I posted links for which is definitely Gerads' work (freaking awesome sequence).

Unless there are two artists?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really hope Marvel releases an OHC with a reprint of Star Wars: Dark Empire soon. I already own the hardcover Collection of Dark Horse, but its even smaller than a ordinary Tradepaperback...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom