• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
to think of all the people out there who are buying Age of Ultron today since its named after the movie and are now convinced comics are trash

Tendo

What sucks about Age of Ultron evidently sucking is that not long before it was Annihilation Conquest which I thought was fantastic. Shame the follow up on Earth evidently blew.

What is Rage of Ultron?

I just got a PS4, comicgaf! Got Destiny for free, picked up Marvel Infinity 2.0, Alien Isolation, that middle earth game and diablo 3 UEEEE. Feel like I did pretty good.

I figure the Marvel Infinity makes this an on topic post, yeah? Just excited.

What sucks about Age of Ultron evidently sucking is that not long before it was Annihilation Conquest which I thought was fantastic. Shame the follow up on Earth evidently blew.

The only connection between these stories is that Ultron is in both of them.

...and some would argue even that is a really generous statement

What is Rage of Ultron?

Its an original graphic novel by the creative team of a very critically acclaimed run of X-men comics a few years back. Doesn't come out til March, but its got a great pedigree behind it, and should be very accessible to new readers giving its OGN/stand alone status.

avengers-rage-of-ultron-2-5747e.jpg
avengers-rage-of-ultron-4-33c69.jpg

avengers-rage-of-ultron-3-a540e.jpg
53d1a1f0a1db0.jpg
avengers-rage-of-ultron-1-1d453.jpg

Im in for the Stray Bullets club. $40 for 1200 pages of comics sounds like a deal.

you guys *sniff*

to think of all the people out there who are buying Age of Ultron today since its named after the movie and are now convinced comics are trash

That's actually the best-case scenario. More likely, they'll become these fuckers:

"Identity Crisis was the great DC superhero story of the decade, man. It feels like the Watchmen for a new generation, if you revisit it"
iy1PTPU4cQZL4.gif
"50 years from now, Civil War is gonna be the only Marvel comic anybody remembers from this generation."
iyA5SOZLNWWBQ.gif
"Like...I really just don't, do NOT, understand any of his(Grant Morrison) comics. WE3 was trash, All-Star Superman was trash, Batman RIP and Final Crisis were confusing mess....My daughter could draw like that guy(Frank Quitely)
BnDESKT.gif
"Only comic I LOVED was The Long Halloween. Everything else is just stupid and corny, *laughs*. Its the exception that proves the rule for me."
JYebX52.gif

Tendo

I just got a PS4, comicgaf! Got Destiny for free, picked up Marvel Infinity 2.0, Alien Isolation, that middle earth game and diablo 3 UEEEE. Feel like I did pretty good.

I figure the Marvel Infinity makes this an on topic post, yeah? Just excited.

The only connection between these stories is that Ultron is in both of them.

...and some would argue even that is a really generous statement

Yikes. Having come back to comics since 2005 I really liked Ultron in Conquest. I'll skip AoU so I don't have that image ruined haha.

Its an original graphic novel by the creative team of a very critically acclaimed run of X-men comics a few years back. Doesn't come out til March, but its got a great pedigree behind it, and should be very accessible to new readers giving its OGN/stand alone status.

That looks fantastic

Finally caught up on all my single issues. Having the flu and prioritizing Y The Last Man put me way behind. I love comics!

Next......Punk Rock Jesus.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Strangers in paradise is the best kind of thing.

Yep. Obviously this is redundant for the good folks in the Strangers in Paradise book club, but it should be known to all of Comics-GAF that Strangers in Paradise is an absurdly good slice-of-life comic. The art, dialogue, lettering, everything is just perfect.

Yep. Obviously this is redundant for the good folks in the Strangers in Paradise book club, but it should be known to all of Comics-GAF that Strangers in Paradise is an absurdly good slice-of-life comic. The art, dialogue, lettering, everything is just perfect.

told ya!

I recently read Age of Ultron on Marvel Unlimited.

It was the worst.

Like I have so many complaints.

It's pretty obvious the point of the comic changed like 5 times while it was being made. I remember when it was originally planned it was only going to be one extra sized issue. Angela really comes out of nowhere.

Black Panther goes out like a chump. (#1 complaint)

Cap only sits for like an issue. You mofos made it seem like it was for the entirety of the series. I was seriously looking forward to that.

Even the scenes I like in the first couple of issues end up being completely pointless.

It turns into some awkward space time continuum thing where Sue Storm kinda agrees to but doesn't agree to kill Pym with Logan.

A proper ultron fight never takes place.

Hitch is only on for about 4 issues. The rest of it has pretty subpar artwork even though both of the other artists are capable of putting in quality work.

It's a giant mess. There's probably a good story in there somewhere that got killed by a shift in editorial direction.

It's not Ultimatum level bad but it's as bad as Shadowland but worse since it was supposed to be a big event.

frye

Hitch also had apparently no idea what was going on in Age of Ultron. Not because he didn't understand it but because they literally didn't even tell him what the big picture was or even that it was a 10 issue series of which he was only drawing the first half.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Have they said how many issues they plan in the series?

Should be 6. It was planned as a year long event, with each issue coming out once every two months and then the "special edition", or whatever, of that issue coming out the month after.

Chinner

Banned
I dunno what the hell is going on with Mitch Gerads in Punisher. He went from this:

52caee8541a54.jpg

to this:

PUN2014005s-0d186.jpg

The fuck????????????????

Yeah I really prefer his earlier rendition. Although I do like this run, I do think it sinice the end of the first arc with issue #5, the series has been inconsistent throughout.

MG310

Amazon had Bombshells Supergirl in stock so I figured I might as well take the surprise out of waiting for BBTS to get her and just do it now. A 3 Bombshell week!

Messi

Amazon had Bombshells Supergirl in stock so I figured I might as well take the surprise out of waiting for BBTS to get her and just do it now. A 3 Bombshell week!

Cancelled mine a few days ago from bbts. Got tired of the lack of news. I'll put it back in the bombshell fund for a later date (Lois)

Hitch also had apparently no idea what was going on in Age of Ultron. Not because he didn't understand it but because they literally didn't even tell him what the big picture was or even that it was a 10 issue series of which he was only drawing the first half.
Just looked up an old interview in which he talks about this. Sucks how marvel kind of screwed on it.

He also talks about how Marvel turned down a Whedon and Hitch pitch for Spider-Man Smh

That literally would have been my favorite book ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom