• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Merry Christmas everyone!

Ms. Marvel OHC comes out Aug 2015. Collects issues #1-#11.

Awesooome. It's great to finally have a release date for this. Will 100% definitely buy.

Yessssss! Dad comes through big!

Woohoo! Looking forward to hearing what you think of one of the best runs of all time!

Nice art, lame cover.

WHAT. How dare you.
Nobody talks bad about Brian Bolland and gets away with it.

Now I really want to see a series of "Multiversal Image Firsts" where they let a popular writer/artist team from Image recreate their own version of another team's #1 issue.

Hahaha. That'd be brilliant.

1nZuuPz.gif
XMAS
1nZuuPz.gif
opinions get inverted and shit* gets read haul

Captain Marvel - Down
Ms. Marvel - No Normal
All-New X-Men - Yesterday's X-Men
Fantastic Four - New Arrivals, New Departures
FF - Fantastic Faux
Batman and Robin - Born to Kill
Worlds' Finest - The Lost Daughters of Earth 2
Green Lantern - Sinestro
Green Lantern Corps - Fearsome
Saga of the Swamp Thing - Book Three
Hellblazer - The Fear Machine
The Sandman - Season of Mists

*A lot of it probably actually shit

I may look into that one once it ends. How is Detective since the writer change? I think it was the people who were on Flash previously, correct?

Wait, Catwoman got good?
Not sure about Detective, I dropped everything a little ways into the New52.
I only mention it for a weekly/bi-weekly book because I think it would be a better fit for that type of thing over any other batbook.

Eternal is the only New52 I have read after dropping everything, however I started the new arc of Catwoman the other day and the new direction is great so far.
The direction isn't something i'd want to last very long but its interesting while it lasts and the quality is good so far.

Rootbeer

Banned
No comics for Christmas for me this year, but I randomly had this memory of getting Angela #1 (her first miniseries drawn by Greg Capullo) back when I was a kid in my stocking (bagged and boarded of course -- mom knew what was up). I was elated with that. Good times.

Sometimes I miss paper comics, as I'm 95% digital now save for a trade here and there. But, I guess an iPad and a gift card for which to buy comics would be a better gift than a stapled together stack of paper for most kids these days.

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas ComicGaf!

I just read Batman Annual #3, that.....that was a mistake for Christmas morning. What a creepy issue. Seriously this is Joker creepiness on a whole other level. I'm going to go watch A Christmas Story to try and cleanse my brain.

Although I haven't much liked 52 version of Harley Quinn due to her just becoming DC's version of Deadpool. I have to say that Harley and Power girl are way too fun together. They shouldn't work but for some reason they just do.

Power Girl and Harley Quinn needs to be a permanent duo.

Merry Christmas ComicGaf!

I just read Batman Annual #3, that.....that was a mistake for Christmas morning. What a creepy issue. Seriously this is Joker creepiness on a whole other level. I'm going to go watch A Christmas Story to try and cleanse my brain.

Right? James Tynion hit it out of the park with that. Has a huge Animated Series vibe with more creepiness. It was also his first soley credited Batman issue.

Although I haven't much liked 52 version of Harley Quinn due to her just becoming DC's version of Deadpool. I have to say that Harley and Power girl are way too fun together. They shouldn't work but for some reason they just do.

Power Girl and Harley Quinn needs to be a permanent duo.
Yeah this has been my favorite part of the current Harley run so far. These last few issues have been super fun.

My only complaint is that I would prefer Conner on art. Peej isn't the same without her :(

Can't believe avertigo would let a comic superstar work like Northlanders go out of print. It's Brian Wood's love letter to mid 90's History Channel.

Merry Christmas, GAF. Here's a PAD quote:

No. I don't think there's a place for character-driven stories. Fans complain ceaselessly about how mega-events are taking over comics, and what they really want to see are character-driven stories, but their purchasing habits are the exact opposite. And now fans will say, "Oh, Peter's just bitching again," but I'm really just stating facts based on sales. That doesn't mean I won't continue to write the types of stories I want to write, but the continued resistance to them makes selling them problematic.

In the middle of Copra volume 1 and I really like the art and coloring. Everything manages to come across as stylish looking and just very cool in general. The design of Vitas in particular, is really awesome.

The material used for the trade is nice too!

I almost picked it up. I especially like that Darwyn Cooke variant my LCS had.

Also, Black Science went up from $3.50 to $3.99 with #11. Speaking of which, back issues of Black Science is 75% off at Midtown Comics. Not sure if any other notable series has that discount but it's $0.88 per issue including last month's (#10)!

It has 28 story pages though which is higher than usual.

Right? James Tynion hit it out of the park with that. Has a huge Animated Series vibe with more creepiness. It was also his first soley credited Batman issue.

Absolutely, it was by far one of the creepiest comics I've ever read in my life. This is a whole new side to the Joker that just literally makes me shudder.

Messi

Gotham By Midnight is incredible guys. Please give it a shot!

It's just gonna go the same was as Gotham Manor :/

I love Gotham Manor so far. It's just a shame dc didn't stick with it for a bit longer. The concept is stupid but the execution has been great.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Posted this Christmas haul earlier last night, already read Spiderman Blue and Murder mysteries which was awesome!
I really liked Murder Mysteries and only got it because it was about an angel. Happy it was chosen.
Can't make a decision on what to do next since the rest are all so long. Someone pick for me what to I read next? Kind of intimidated by Sandman. Picture again since it's easier than a list.

Posted this Christmas haul earlier last night, already read Spiderman Blue and Murder mysteries which was awesome!
I really liked Murder Mysteries and only got it because it was about an angel. Happy it was chosen.
Can't make a decision on what to do next since the rest are all so long. Someone pick for me what to I read next? Kind of intimidated by Sandman. Picture again since it's easier than a list.

I've only read Swamp Thing and Sandman from that list, but those are two of my favorite things that I have read so far.

Xis

Posted this Christmas haul earlier last night,

Can't make a decision on what to do next since the rest are all so long.

Awesome haul. Read Swamp Thing next; it's one of my all-time favorites (Sandman and Y the Last Man are great too though.)

My haul so far:

Hardcovers:
Avengers: Avengers World
Avengers: The Last White Event
New Avengers: Everything Dies
Infinity

Softcovers:
Uncanny Avengers: The Red Shadow
Uncanny Avengers: The Apocalypse Twins
Uncanny Avengers: Ragnarok Now

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
First issue of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is wrapping up the previous writer's run, but the second issue is where people started paying attention to him.
Thanks for letting me know! I now have volumes 1 3 and 5. Gotta track down and buy 2 and 4 before I read volume one I think.

Voror

Ms. Marvel OHC comes out Aug 2015. Collects issues #1-#11.

Neat, I'll wait on that instead of buying the trades for Ms. Marvel.

The latter. But there was also a reveal about who her father is, so it's all related.

Alright, sounds good. I was worried for a second it was one of those villain turns that would have felt forced. Like that whole thing with Black Cat in Spider-man.

Not sure about Detective, I dropped everything a little ways into the New52.
I only mention it for a weekly/bi-weekly book because I think it would be a better fit for that type of thing over any other batbook.

Eternal is the only New52 I have read after dropping everything, however I started the new arc of Catwoman the other day and the new direction is great so far.
The direction isn't something i'd want to last very long but its interesting while it lasts and the quality is good so far.

Yeah, especially sort of fell off regarding DC.

I could see it as something that could get old after awhile so hopefully they don't stretch it out for too long.

Voror

Oh, did they reveal what happened to Richard Rider? That was a thing during the whole Original Sin event, right? Was it disappointing?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo! Got Absolute Batman & Robin for Christmas! And a Kallax shelf!

Wait, Born Again and Man Without Fear have hardcovers!? How did I not know about this?
Anyways, read Born Again.

Splatt

Oh, did they reveal what happened to Richard Rider? That was a thing during the whole Original Sin event, right? Was it disappointing?

He became a dimensional portal through which both Thanos and Starlord escaped from Cancerverse.

It was extremely dissapointing.

Voror

Wait, Born Again and Man Without Fear have hardcovers!? How did I not know about this?
Anyways, read Born Again.

I've had both for some years now. Unless these are new hardcovers.

And agreed, Born Again is probably my favorite Daredevil story.

He became a dimensional portal through which both Thanos and Starlord escaped from Cancerverse.

It was extremely dissapointing.

Huh, that doesn't make any sense. So yes, disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom