• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

image.php

also is this the deer version of Olivia Wilde be honest

Yes.

She plays a deer in Bojack Horseman. The eyes were based on hers. So I'm assuming that's why it looks like her.

Boogiepop

So no proper comic haul for Christmas outside of the awesome previously reported V for Vendetta Absolute Edition I got from a friend (and I am indeed finding it really cool!) Though I did get a ton of Tezuka manga, like I now own all of it that's been released in English except the terribly out of print stuff and Buddha. Oh, and not a Christmas present (unless we're counting gifting to ourselves), but my Nendoroid Red did arrive and is super awesome!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Spent like 5 hours of Christmas day re-organizing my room and also cleaning it (the wooden floor was disgusting underneath where my bed and drawers were) so that I could put up my new Kallax shelf. Totally worth the time and effort. The shelf looks awesome (and my room seems to have way more space now).

The lighting is bad so it doesn't look as good as it does in real life, but you get the idea.

I was pretty shocked that I basically filled it all up. I thought my other shelves were small, but I guess they weren't that small. Plus I did have kind of a ton of comics stacked on top of it too. And now I have that smaller shelf for overflow too. Although once the Kallax fills all the way up, I'll probably just buy another one.

Also, you all will be happy to know that my comics are now perfectly organized by Publisher and then Titles. Well, basically.

But yeah, I'm super pleased about it. My comics finally look as good as they ought to.

Messi

Kipp what library did you steal all them books from? Cause I know you ain't buying books to support the industry.

Sweet looking shelves though.

So much room for activities!

Great pick-ups. I can't recommend Invincible enough as a superhero book, but it seems like barely anyone around here reads it.
I read it! I read it! (But then I read most things...just delayed) Always an enjoyable read.

So I've basically bought everything I know of that's good in the CMX image digital catalog. Even things not good for nostalgia reasons (Battle chasers!). Anyone have image deep cuts series to recommend. I know about all the more recent series talked about here. What about less discussed but good image comics. I apparently have a ton of image series #1 that I'm testing out stuff but reading #1 are tricky at times assessing quality.

I wonder if I should finish godland. It was a fun homage to Kirby but midway through I felt it was loosing steam. What about fringe Kirkland stuff. Tech jacket, science dog, wolfman, etc

I just read New Avengers 28 and it was glorious. The entire issue is Based Reed going
"All according to keikaku" On Steve. There is just something about Captain America getting out maneuvered that puts a smile on my face every time.

ElNarez

Banned
I just read New Avengers 28 and it was glorious. The entire issue is Based Reed going
"All according to keikaku" On Steve. There is just something about Captain America getting out maneuvered that puts a smile on my face every time.

That's what happens when you try talking shit about THE FIRST FUCKIN FAMILY, son

Spent like 5 hours of Christmas day re-organizing my room and also cleaning it (the wooden floor was disgusting underneath where my bed and drawers were) so that I could put up my new Kallax shelf. Totally worth the time and effort. The shelf looks awesome (and my room seems to have way more space now).

I reorganized my bookshelf a bit today, too. Still have more to do, but I'm not too concerned with doing it on Christmas. I has too many books. :O

Boogiepop

Tomorrow shall be the day of the great clean-up for me, since I didn't want to do it on Christmas (and I was waiting till Christmas so I could get everything organized once I had it all in). I got my comics reorganized in a satisfactory manner actually the other day, but the manga... the manga is in serious need of some help. I've got multiple big old floor stacks and that's just not okay, so I'm going to have to make the tough decision of boxing some stuff up for storage (which isn't a huge deal, but it's always still a tough call for me and I wish I had that space that I didn't need to do it.) This is especially imperative since the influx of Christmas cash has me casting my eye on some import manga, since I've been dying to pull the trigger on a number of series...

Messi

Just finished cleaning up my personal space. Feels good to have everything back in the right places. Lifts the mood right up. Thanks Kipp.

Merry Christmas, GAF. Here's a PAD quote:

PAD said that?? Wuhhhhh. Do you have a link to the full convo? I'm actually curious now.

He became a dimensional portal through which both Thanos and Starlord escaped from Cancerverse.

It was extremely dissapointing.

Hold on are you fucking serious???

I've finally gotten back to my Essential Doctor Strange collection. It pains me so much that the edition I have is in black-and-white, this would look amazing in color. In black-and-white, a lot of this artwork is hard to make out.

Only reason I can't buy the Essentials line. Like come on don't make me sacrifice the colors for beefy organized goodness. EsPECIALLY with Strange.

arkon

Read the first series of Tech Jacket yesterday. That's certainly some Kirkman dialogue. Hilariously bad. Hope the brehs on the new series are better since I've already bought those issues.

Also bought the entirety of Stray Bullets on comixology. I am fully prepped for the book club thread now.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp what library did you steal all them books from? Cause I know you ain't buying books to support the industry.

Sweet looking shelves though.

So much room for activities!

You know what's scary? All but like 10 of those books were purchased this year...
I honestly don't know how it happened. Just one or two books here and there reeeally add up. Haha. No regrets!

And thanks!

I think you could use that Big Damn Sin City as a murder weapon

Pssh. I'll dual wield that and Colossal Conan.
I still need to finish Sin City sometime soon though. After the first two stories I wasn't digging it at all, but then it reeeally picked up for me and I've been loving it.

Kipp, those shelves (and comics) look awesome. I am using the smaller Billy shelves and they are a pain to arrange well.

Thank you!
You should do yourself a favor and grab some of the Kallax shelves. I'm so happy with them.

Between that and Conan, I wouldn't want to mess with him

Hey Kipp... I see you don't own Power Girl...

It is true. I don't.
It's waaay down the list for me. I'm not really sure it'll do much for me.
However, I'll happily accept it as a Christmas gift if anyone here wants me to read it that badly. Haha

Christ Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Grant Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, and Annihilation.

Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and Daredevil are all fantastic choices (and in that order, too). My personal opinion, obviously.

Just finished cleaning up my personal space. Feels good to have everything back in the right places. Lifts the mood right up. Thanks Kipp.

It's so hard to get yourself to start cleaning, but once you do it's hard to stop and really enjoyable (for me, at least). And it's so, so satisfying.
I think in another life I was a housemaid.
Anyways, I'm glad you were inspired to clean and organize some stuff and I'm happy to hear it made your Christmas a little better!

Messi

I had 4 or 5 trades last July. Now I have 50-60 I'd say easily. It's scary how quickly it has risen. I buy stuff on a whim all the time.

I had 4 or 5 trades last July. Now I have 50-60 I'd say easily. It's scary how quickly it has risen. I buy stuff on a whim all the time.

Tis the way of the empty wallet, embrace it. Not so big a deal with trades but with Omnis/OHC you have like a year tops to grab them or they are gone with the wind =(

MG310

Midtown order is still intact *Crosses fingers for blank cover madness*

Got my Strangers in Paradise and Young Avengers Omnibi this morning. Long Halloween Noir, Kinski, and Dream Logic didn't make it in time for Christmas but oh well.

I make it a point not to look at the order history page.

One time I made the mistake of looking at the yearly purchase spreadsheets you can get from Amazon.

I read Big Time complete collection vol 2. Wasn't really feeling it until Spider island is the bomb diggity. It's one of my favorite superhero stories now.

I'm really loving this, can't stop looking at it:

Love how Reed is punching Doom :p
I got the exact thing from my grandparents in law! Except the DC version which is cool since I'm not as thoroughly knowledgeable about DC history and mythos.

It's a really good looking book.

Also got the Wicked + Divine vol 1. And Blacksad Amarillo. It's like my fam knows I'm a huge nerd

CBTech

Just read All New Xmen and uncanny x-men up through Battle of the Atom. I'm really enjoying it. I love the call backs to uncanny x-men #1 during the finale. I also know what you mean when someone said Bendis's writing makes it sound like characters are talking with themselves. Characters pointlessly interject and make jokes where it is inappropriate or out of character.

MartyStu

Just read All New Xmen and uncanny x-men up through Battle of the Atom. I'm really enjoying it. I love the call backs to uncanny x-men #1 during the finale. I also know what you mean when someone said Bendis's writing makes it sound like characters are talking with themselves. Characters pointlessly interject and make jokes where it is inappropriate or out of character.

Ultimate Spider-Man is the only time he restrains himself.

Consequently, it is the only thing he writes that I find readable.

PsychBat!

Banned
And that's most of his writing when it comes to team books. His worst team book being GotG. It's nothing but blah.

Oh and Battle of the Atom is fine when it starts. That's all I can say about it.

ElNarez

Banned
Couple of words on the Miracleman Annual: Man, 1984 Grant Morrison was really trying way hard to copy T.O. Writer, except he had some playfulness to him. Also, DANG, this Joe Quesada guy? He can fucking DRAW. It's Beast Mode. WHOA.

PS: The Allred/Milligan story is also pretty dope, in the "hey let's re-explore what the Miracleman twist is" kind of thing.

Messi

So Amazon has a listing for Sunstone Vol 2 and Sejic says it ships in April (not may) . Seems these are gonna come out fairly quickly.

I read my Matt Fraction Fantastic Four trade yesterday. Yeah, the Fantastic Four issues in there were pretty bleh. The FF issues in the same trade were fairly entertaining, though.

Tizoc

Robin Rises #1
So Robin has super strength now. Pretty sure they'll fade away but it'll be interesting to see how he goes about using it

Daredevil #11 was interesting, Stunt-master appeared in Daredevil #58.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just bought 2 months of Marvel Unlimited. I stopped reading comics around the time warren ellis / quietly were on New X-Men, with Xorn and shit (I didnt actually read that arc tho), so lets say I missed the last... 10-12 years or so?

So with that said, hit me with what I need to look for :p

Hawkeye and Nextwave are 2 of the things on top of my list. I also want to see Cyke become and be an asshole, and Mags being an x-men. And anything with Emma

just bought 2 months of Marvel Unlimited. I stopped reading comics around the time warren ellis / quietly were on New X-Men, with Xorn and shit (I didnt actually read that arc tho), so lets say I missed the last... 10-12 years or so?

Hawkeye and Nextwave are 2 of the things on top of my list. I also want to see Cyke become and be an asshole, and Mags being an x-men. And anything with Emma

You can finish that run on new x-men if you want. Recent X-Men events did at least reference Xorn.

You missed a LOT, but based on your post you can start with Avengers vs. X-Men and go from there. Bendis' Uncanny X-Men is the team with Cyke, Mags and Emma. His All-New X-Men book is better IMO but both are solid reading.

Read Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender

This, best X-Book you missed.

is that the dude that did the xforce run with deadpool?

speaking of, I should read that too right?

PS: just read Nextwave #1... its amazing.

Yeah the team (at the start at least) is Wolverine, Psylocke, Fantomex, Deadpool, and Angel/Archangel. It's really good and worth reading.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, I just realized, is that Boom Boom / Boomer on Nextwave? This Tabitha chick, wasnt boom boom called tabitha? and she was obviously a mutant with exploding powers :eek:

edit: oh shit and this is X-51 / Machine Man, I remember him!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sat down and finished Remender's Punisher. Shame about the In the Blood arc. Left a bad taste after the entire Frankencastle saga, which was pretty awesome. Should've ended after Frankencastle. Dat Daken fight tho

wait, I just realized, is that Boom Boom / Boomer on Nextwave? This Tabitha chick, wasnt boom boom called tabitha? and she was obviously a mutant with exploding powers :eek:

Yeah same character. I think all of the Nextwave team except the Captain are previously established characters

Rhaknar

Dirk Anger might just be my new favorite Marvel character

"Monica, quick, Captain America just called to invite you back into the Avengers!"
"...nothing. She must really be unconscious"

lol

ReAxion

received the Locke & Key trade slipcase set, which I knew I'd get, and the Marvel 75 Years of Cover Art hardcover, which was a total surprise.

Tizoc

Grant Morrison's X-men is where Cyke and Emma relationship starts.
It has a successor being Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Give Daredevil by Mark Waid a try it is my FAVOURITE Marvel book atm.
There's also Superior Foes of Spiderman, and if you want a good Spiderman series, try Ultimate Spiderman, being a modern (for the time) retelling of Spiderman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom