• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Merry belated Christmas Comics-GAF. As befits my semi-regular posting (and late reading of issues) I am late wishing you all festive good tidings. Hopefully you all got gifts you enjoyed. I got a lovely Spider-Man 3D mug, the most comic-booky gift his year. As all my comic purchasing is digital these days (aside from Multiversity) I don't mind.

I'm a fairly lurkish poster here, aside from when it comes to defending She-Hulk, but for those of you who care to hear it coming from me I've had an awesome time since following these threads around the start of Marvel Now beginning, and I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, the discourse, and the GAFly hijinks. Hope you all have an awesome new year!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the famous Hawkeye run over? Im dying to read it but not if its not all up on MU

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also, Kipp, can you put PSN back up I wanna sync my trophies. It's not just the comic industry you're killing now. :(

Nah, not yet. I want everyone to suffer just a tiny bit longer.

HpJkn4q.png

Fintan

Hey, guys I'm looking to read more DC comics. What New 52 books should I be reading? I've caught up on Batman, which was very good, but otherwise I've pretty much read nothing. Any other Batman books worth looking at? Any other character recommendations are cool too.

Hey, guys I'm looking to read more DC comics. What New 52 books should I be reading? I've caught up on Batman, which was very good, but otherwise I've pretty much read nothing. Any other Batman books worth looking at? Any other character recommendations are cool too.

azzarello's wonder woman (1-35)
Most of Action comics has been good
All of Aquaman
The Superman title now that it's been taken over by Geoff Johns from issue 32 onward has been good

From the top of my head

For the mainstream stuff, Justice League, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are good. Geoff Johns's Shazam! is good, too.

My mind is numb from all these image #1 comics I've read today. Trying to sift through the comics to find the hidden gems before the CMX sale is over. With many being 4-5 issue limited series that makes them $3-5 a mini. That's a whole marvel book!

Hickman FF - Reed Richards at the Singularity 2010 Conference. Damn; He may be right but he is such a dick about it. The Linus Torvalds of superheroes.

Zombine

Banned
I got a $25 gift card for Amazon from my Mom for Christmas (along with my Marvel Lounge Pants which are hella sexy) any recommendations for books or figures or anything? 100 Bullets or something? I don't know.

MG310

IST Order of I'm tired of waiting for this to get any cheaper.

Steranko Shield Artist Edition
Sunstone
Terry Moore artbook.

Also I have 40 dollars at Amazon...Trying to decide if I should use it towards one of the Uncanny X-Men Omnibii, some more Copic markers (which never get discounted anywhere) or maybe that Ninja Turtles Ultimate Visual History book.

Image sale is pretty awesome :D

Long Hot Summer
This is some early Jamie McKelvie work and it's pretty obvious, but it's amazing to see how far he's come since then.This is a sort of basic relationship comic, it's easy to relate to it.

Wild Children
Probably going to need to find a analysis of this to better understand it, but the overall theme was easy to get. Amazing art and coloring.

Image sale is pretty awesome :D

Long Hot Summer
This is some early Jamie McKelvie work and it's pretty obvious, but it's amazing to see how far he's come since then.This is a sort of basic relationship comic, it's easy to relate to it.

Wild Children
Probably going to need to find a analysis of this to better understand it, but the overall theme was easy to get. Amazing art and coloring.
Nice. I'm building up quite a list of hidden gems and stuff I should have gotten a while ago.

Don't miss out on Orc Stain by Stokoe.

Comics haul this year was simply my Wife pulling Sandman Vol 6 and Fear Agent Library Volume 2. All in all quite happy with it. I need to reread Fear Agent though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just an FYI to my SiP book club buddies, I didn't have time to do my reading today but I should be able to catch up tomorrow (or at the veeery least read three issues, but I've got the day off, so all six issues is very doable).

I got a $25 gift card for Amazon from my Mom for Christmas (along with my Marvel Lounge Pants which are hella sexy) any recommendations for books or figures or anything? 100 Bullets or something? I don't know.

I'm way late, but I don't care. You still need to buy this even though it's not a comic. Boom
Been wanting it for ages and I got it for Christmas and it's even better than I thought it would be. Just a gorgeous hardcover with gorgeous Ralph Steadman art. And the actual writing is one of my favorite books ever (already read it two or three times).

Oooh I didn't know that was so cheap. I may have to grab that too.

Yeah, I didn't realize it was that cheap either. Maybe I'll have to think about it.

Does anyone have any input on digital comics via Amazon/Barnes Noble? Was looking at getting a few trade paperbacks that way.

Sorry, I've got no answer to your question. Are you from North County San Diego too though? Also, have you had the Stone "Enjoy By" beer? I just had it for the first time a week or so ago and it might be my new favorite.

Sorry, I've got no answer to your question. Are you from North County San Diego too though? Also, have you had the Stone "Enjoy By" beer? I just had it for the first time a week or so ago and it might be my new favorite.

Sadly no, Houston. I drink plenty of Stone as you might guess. I have had a couple of the Enjoy by, personally, I think their normal run stuff is much better. AB, Oaked AB, Ruination, IPA...can drink it for days.

Just getting back into comics since the 90's so I really don't know where to even start. Went to Bedrock City with the intent of getting the 'new' Thor but they didn't have it. Picking up the first three TPB of Batman but was wondering if the digital stuff is even viable.

barrin87

Just read through The Wicked + The Divine TPB in one sitting. Story was pretty interesting and I thought the artwork was fantastic. Definitely looking forward to the second.

Think I'll start reading Fables next.

How is Y The Last Man? I've been looking at that for quite a while and think I might bite. Not sure if I should get the deluxe versions or just the TPB of the series though.

Just read through The Wicked + The Divine TPB in one sitting. Story was pretty interesting and I thought the artwork was fantastic. Definitely looking forward to the second.

Think I'll start reading Fables next.

How is Y The Last Man? I've been looking at that for quite a while and think I might bite. Not sure if I should get the deluxe versions or just the TPB of the series though.

Y is amazing. One of the best graphic novels out there. Go with the 5 deluxe volumes. They are really nice.

If you're buying digitally, you should go with Comixology.

Meh. I honestly don't see the reason to pay 1:1 for a digital comic. Dropping $4.99 for a 5 issue digital TPB via Amazon/BN is a solid starting point for me. I was mainly curious if anyone had any history/input with either of the two formats.

I'll eventually just set up a sub with Bedrock or Comic Cartel if I'm real lazy.

Meh. I honestly don't see the reason to pay 1:1 for a digital comic. Dropping $4.99 for a 5 issue digital TPB via Amazon/BN is a solid starting point for me. I was mainly curious if anyone had any history/input with either of the two formats.

I'll eventually just set up a sub with Bedrock or Comic Cartel if I'm real lazy.
If you buy from comixology sales you're pretty much paying a dollar per comic, which is like the best deal you can get digitally.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
How are the Spawn origin editions?

Local shop has vol 3 for $60...that's probably right around when I stopped reading the book in the 90's.

Worth a pickup?

barrin87

Well shit, I just discovered the fantastic low prices at In Stock Trades and just went on a buying spree. I just grabbed:

Fables Deluxe Volume 2
Y The Last Man Deluxe Volume 1-2
Alex + Ada Volume 1 TPB

Went for the $50 order to get the free shipping. Would have cost me close to $15 more on Amazon.

welp, graduated college and got a full-time job 10 mins from my house in my field, even with my zero internships/under 3.0 GPA/trash networking skills

#blessed
#thankyoukirby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom