• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cade

I lifted its fucking arm and it came off with barely any force. I was pissed.

This happened when I got the Man of Bats action figure. I was mildly upset, but not $90-figure upset.

EDIT: Grats VJC. Glad you got out of University before Kipp killed higher education.

Nice. I'm building up quite a list of hidden gems and stuff I should have gotten a while ago.

Don't miss out on Orc Stain by Stokoe.

Egads, dropped like $200 on this Comixology Image Sale. As you said, wanted to point out some hidden gems:

Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker - Joe Casey & Mike Huddleston had a falling out over this book, so this is it for sexy surrealistic sex superheroes.
Burn the Orphanage - Streets of Rage the comic
Popgun Anthology - Mike Allred. Paul Pope. Tara McPherson...A huge anthology series featuring an insane line up of writers and artists.
Danger Club - Grim and bloody take on teen sidekicks having to save the world, but secretly super fun.
I Kill Giants - Joe Kelly gonna make you cry.
Infinite Horizons vol 1 - Early Phil Noto and Gerry Duggan joint in which they retell the Odyssey but with the correct genders and in the future
Nightly News - the Jonathan Hickman book that started it all
That's Because You're a Robot - Buddy cop scifi comedy featuring a robot cop and a human cop, but nobody knows who is who. Written by a writer from Veep.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have mixed feelings on Marvel Unlimited, at least with the mobile app. The service itself is great, great value, but the app is pretty shit

lots of crashes, lots of "we cant download this page check your internet". ive had to download a couple of Nextwave issues to even be able to read them (which is fine, but not exactly working as intended I guess)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Sadly no, Houston. I drink plenty of Stone as you might guess. I have had a couple of the Enjoy by, personally, I think their normal run stuff is much better. AB, Oaked AB, Ruination, IPA...can drink it for days.

Ah, gotcha. And I guess that would make sense. I don't really care for most of Stone's other beers but I love Enjoy By. It's really different from their other stuff (or at least what I've tried of it).

Btw. My Darkseid figure broke 4 minutes out of the box. Being returned.

You have really, really bad luck with figures. What are you gonna buy when you return it?

Ok, I'll give the sales a look. I just pulled it up and checked the price on the few books that I wanted.

Comixology has $1-per-issue sales all the time, and on really good stuff as well. You won't have to wait around for sales too long before you have too many comics to read that you bought for $1 each.

welp, graduated college and got a full-time job 10 mins from my house in my field, even with my zero internships/under 3.0 GPA/trash networking skills

#blessed
#thankyoukirby

So jealous. Congratulations!

EDIT: Grats VJC. Glad you got out of University before Kipp killed higher education.

And most importantly, before I kill job searching. Get those jobs while they're hot, folks. Probably in a month or two I'll be hardcore searching for jobs, so you know what that means.

Congrats brah.
Hopefully Kipp doesn't kill the industry you work in.

I'll spare him for now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Secret Origin #6 which was during the Azz/Chiang run and might be collected with it

Also I appreciate the intent but that writing is a bit hamfisted innit
Thanks, I really love the art and need to read this :D Wonder Woman was a character, I wanted to go more involved with anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
after finishing Nextwave, I started Hawkeye, and its 2 for 2 on good recomendations from the thread, first issue was fucking awesome. It goes up to #18 on MU, how many more are there?

tim1138

I got caught up on Low this morning, and while it is stunning to look at the writing isn't clicking with me. The low/risen lines that pop up once a issue really award thin as well. Outside of Fear Agent, Uncanny X-Force, and Uncanny Avengers Remender just doesn't do it for me.

Rhaknar

22 issues total of the run, counting the unreleased two.

so missing 2 currently out then? thats better than I thought actually.

Im trying to think of the best way to enjoy this MU sub. Probably for the best if I just stick to reading certain runs that you guys recomend, its almost impossible to go back to where I stopped many (MANY) years ago and try to read everything. Most would be filler anyway, and the search on the MU app isnt the best.

So yeah, Ill probably just stick to runs or big arcs, its still a whole of a lot more than what I used to read these past few years, which was zero.

Im really liking Hawkeye (but I knew I would), has this team worked on anything else before this? I love both the writting and the art

I have mixed feelings on Marvel Unlimited, at least with the mobile app. The service itself is great, great value, but the app is pretty shit

lots of crashes, lots of "we cant download this page check your internet". ive had to download a couple of Nextwave issues to even be able to read them (which is fine, but not exactly working as intended I guess)
Reloading the comic seems to work for me really well. It's probably never going to be as good as comixology but I don't think it's that bad. Sometimes dialog is cut off though. That gets annoying. Otherwise I'm pretty happy reading comics on my note 3

I went and did a small bit of post Xmas shopping and picked up some trades and video games

My small haul:
Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Hickman vol 1
Silent War by Hine
Secret Avengers by Remember

Mass Effect 2 & 3
Assassin's Creed brotherhood

All for $25. God bless bargain bins

I read Ultimates by Hickman and it reminded me what a waste of potential the ultimate universe was. This book is really solid. Ribic and Dean White are on the art so it looks phenomenal. The story was engrossing so I read vol 2 on unlimited. Unfortunately you can tell the focus shifts to regular Marvel for Hickman as he is moved to co writer on the book. Luke Ross comes in for a few issues and book loses its edge on its way to the resolution.

Silent War was really interesting. I think Frazier Irving was a really good fit here while I think he's generally an odd fit on cape books. It did feel incomplete even if it was a semi self contained story. I will probably read what comes after on Unlimited

Rhaknar

Reloading the comic seems to work for me really well. It's probably never going to be as good as comixology but I don't think it's that bad. Sometimes dialog is cut off though. That gets annoying. Otherwise I'm pretty happy reading comics on my note 3

yeah reloading works usually. And the dialogue cutting off only happens in the smart reading, which really annoys me because I think the feature is great :(

Ive been sticking to just normal page and I zoom as needed

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

Zombine

Banned
Sooooo I bumped into my Rick statue and some of the little pieces of brain matter from the headshot zombie broke off. Krazy Glue saved the day though.

Messi was right, finding a place for him right now.

Edit: yoooo is VC gonna join the ballers club now? Working close to home is the shit.

Owzers

is Jupiter's Legacy really 4 issues in atm? I was debating giving the book a second chance on cmx's sale but there's not much there.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
the Zombine baller club accepting members?

Just bought some $250 headphones
(for $150 on Amazon natch)
can I get in

Which headphones did you get? I like headphones.
Frugal me spent $350 on one pair and $250 on another last year... So worth it.

Tizoc

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

LAST DAY FOR VOTES!

Gotta remember to submit my list then...

I got caught up on Low this morning, and while it is stunning to look at the writing isn't clicking with me. The low/risen lines that pop up once a issue really award thin as well. Outside of Fear Agent, Uncanny X-Force, and Uncanny Avengers Remender just doesn't do it for me.
Feel that way about Si Spurrier. Can't stand his style.

Damn Brian Wood comics holding up my IST order.....

Messi

Sooooo I bumped into my Rick statue and some of the little pieces of brain matter from the headshot zombie broke off. Krazy Glue saved the day though.

Messi was right, finding a place for him right now.

Edit: yoooo is VC gonna join the ballers club now? Working close to home is the shit.

Damn man, I wish I hadn't been right.

So yeah, Ill probably just stick to runs or big arcs, its still a whole of a lot more than what I used to read these past few years, which was zero.

Im really liking Hawkeye (but I knew I would), has this team worked on anything else before this? I love both the writting and the art
Not the same team at all, but if you dig Hawkeye try out Mark Waid's Daredevil and The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (recently ended so the remaining issues will be on Unlimited over the next several months).

And like Baron said, definitely check out Immortal Iron Fist. It's awesome.

Rhaknar

Not the same team at all, but if you dig Hawkeye try out Mark Waid's Daredevil and The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (recently ended so the remaining issues will be on Unlimited over the next several months).

And like Baron said, definitely check out Immortal Iron Fist. It's awesome.

how would one go about looking for "Mark Waid's Daredevil" on MU I wonder. its not like thats the name :p

Finally! I'm done with reading all the free image #1s I have acquired over the years on CMX. After going through 40+ issues I've culled down the list to what I'll get with my last pass through the CMX image sale. My brain is fried from so many pilots in a row.

Time to read SiP and get to some stories in progress and with some meat! No more intros!

Rhaknar

this $10 I spent might end up being the best $10 I spent in a long time

Finished: Nextwave

Reading: Hawkeye

Next up: Immortal Iron Fist, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Remender's X-Force

hit me up with more stuff Gaf

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
this $10 I spent might end up being the best $10 I spent in a long time

Finished: Nextwave

Reading: Hawkeye

Next up: Immortal Iron Fist, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Remender's X-Force

hit me up with more stuff Gaf

Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

MG310

FAV5 2014!

Silver Surfer
She-Hulk
The Wicked & The Divine
Harley Quinn
Uncanny Avengers

Honorable Mentions
Ms. Marvel
The Fade Out (Too early to tell though)
Daredevil (Still good, just not as good as it was prior to moving to San Francisco)

Favorite OGN
Zatanna/Black Canary: Bloodspell

Favorite Cover Artist
3 way tie: Wada/Noto/Conner

The "Why does this even exist?!" issue of the year:
The Black Widow version of the Punisher/Black Widow crossover issue.

The Favorite response to something controversial of the year:
Yanick Paquette vs. Art History in response to people "fixing" Manara's Spider-Woman rather than just questioning why it existed in the first place.

"Why isn't this person on a book that people will actually read?!" of the year:
Mike Del Mundo

Zombine

Banned
the Zombine baller club accepting members?

Just bought some $250 headphones
(for $150 on Amazon natch)
can I get in

You're doing it right brother. It's not about big ticket items, it's about amassing a ton of shit at that price point.

I hope you got some sennheiser's though.

Damn man, I wish I hadn't been right.

All is good though. It would have happened even if it was on a shelf. Those pieces are super brittle. My cat could have rubbed against it and they would have fallen off. You can't even tell I fixed it.

H3l9ef2.png

1ONHJRH.gif
AXIS #9 - THE MOST IMPORTANT COMIC BOOK OF OUR LIFETIME
1ONHJRH.gif

I really enjoyed how Remender embraced the general goofiness over the last few issues, the highlight being
the interactions between Spidey and Carnage
. Watching the characters act like cardboard cut-outs was really entertaining and at least there was a reason for it this time. Not sure how I really feel about the consequences of the whole event, especially with
Havok and Tony staying inverted. I'm not really a fan of asshole Tony and I started to like Havok over the course of Uncanny Avengers so I'm a little disappointed to see him with Scott now. I'm interested in seeing Sabretooth on the new Unity Squad though, so I got no problems there.
My biggest complaints mostly come down to the art. The final issue was kind of ugly in spots. There were quite a few times where I saw Steve and he looked young again and it threw me off. I wish we could have had Opena/White on art duties, but thank god for Rage of Ultron!

All in all, it was a fun event if you're willing to accept the general silliness of the premise. It's far from the worst Marvel event ever and it was certainly more enjoyable than most of the ones I've read. Not sure if I'd recommend it, but if you can find the inevitable trade for cheap, it's a fun read at least.

Bring on the relaunch of Uncanny Avengers. I'm ready for more Unity Squad drama.

H3l9ef2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom