• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

VanWinkle

Man I love this image. Francavilla is so good. I just wish he worked on more/longer stuff. :(

PIkgL0c.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really confused as to why LEGO White Tiger has a glowing disc:

Like, were they upset with her being the only superhero in the Spider-Man line to not have something to hold on to? Ghost Rider has a chain and all the Spiders have webs, etc. And if so, then what is that supposed to be? Her Tiger God powers? Power shield? Lite Brite? Can't be the amulet, because it's on her chest on the fig.

Pretty sure it's her glowy hand power from the cartoon

white-tiger.jpg

How do you guys kick people out of your house on Christmas? These fucks are staying too late. :|

We struggled with this for a few years until we just started going out for dinner on christmas day, literally just so that extended family could not come over and sit in our house all day, but avoid any awkward your not welcome stuff. Actually grown to love the going out part too, wasn't keen at first, but it's nice skipping all the dishes and hours of cooking and we're just a small family so all the effort was hardly worth it anyway. 2 adults and a kid cannot eat a full turkey, no matter how hard I tried.

We got stuck about an hour after everyone left due to my grandfather staying late to speak to everyone and his car was parked behind our car so we couldn't leave.

Oh yea, I did receive very randomly a copy of Deadly class volume 2 from a relative which is not only not the first volume or the newest but one I have lol. They tried, I appreciate that. Anyway, it's just an extra, I don't really know what to do with it, so I thought as a magical Christmas present, if there is anyone in here who happens to only have volume 1 physical and is in need of it, I will ship to them for the grand total of zero. If a regular is interested, just pm me. As long as your comfortable giving me your address that's all I'd need. Any random people on gaf that have never posted in here before please don't pm me.

arkon

Huh, I guess that does cover most of the gap (36 seems to be missing still then in the void, if nothing else). Weird that they didn't parcel those out and put them up as the separate issues as well, since I thought Comixology generally at least did that much whenever they put up a trade. But that'd still leave like 20 issues missing at the end, right?

They didn't release all the trades for that run. Volume 6(?) was that last one before the other trades were cancelled. That may explain the missing issues

Huh. Read Paper Girls vol 1, honestly much weirder than I expected from BKV. Felt like he was trying to stretch some different storytelling muscles. Hard to say if it paid off yet, felt a little morning glories to me, that I'm not even nearly fair enough in to be able to judge the book yet. Definitely interested but probably would have expected a more satisfying volume in itself from BKV. The art is gorgeous though, can definitely Intel judge that as a success

Boogiepop

They didn't release all the trades for that run. Volume 6(?) was that last one before the other trades were cancelled. That may explain the missing issues
I guess that makes sense, but it really is a shame.
One more question real quick, too: For the Dixon era where he was essentially covering the line, I've already picked up his Batman stuff and the Birds of Prey run, but how intertwined was all that stuff? My gut feeling was initially to try out what I have and see how I feel about his writing first, since that should definitely give me a solid sample. And then assuming I'm interested enough, I'd go for his big old Robin and Nightwing runs. But am I going to kind of ruin the experience on any of those titles by doing so? Or should that be a totally acceptable way of approaching things? (IE was he playing the line of Batfamily stuff as one big interconnected story, or is it more that occasionally you'll get a character referencing some event or another alongside a footnote?)

I've never read Superman: Birthright or Secret Identity. Are both of those classics, or just one? Because for some reason they seem to have fused together in my head and I can't recall what I've heard said about each one.

Can anybody help out with either of the above? Think I want to place one more Comixology order, but I think I need to figure these things out before finalizing what I go with.

VanWinkle

Can anybody help out with either of the above? Think I want to place one more Comixology order, but I think I need to figure these things out before finalizing what I go with.

Superman Birthright and Superman Secret Identity are both amazing, and they're both very different. Birthright is a wonderfully told origin story, and Secret Identity is the story of a boy named Clark Kent who is constantly teased about having the same name as the guy in the comic books, until he himself gets the powers of Superman. It goes through his whole life and it's incredible.

As for the Dixon stuff, I have only gotten into the early trades of his work so far so I haven't really seen any crossover stuff yet.

Huh. Read Paper Girls vol 1, honestly much weirder than I expected from BKV. Felt like he was trying to stretch some different storytelling muscles. Hard to say if it paid off yet, felt a little morning glories to me, that I'm not even nearly fair enough in to be able to judge the book yet. Definitely interested but probably would have expected a more satisfying volume in itself from BKV. The art is gorgeous though, can definitely Intel judge that as a success

I've been meaning to read that one. I need to order it soon.

Read Dixon's Nightwing and Robin runs. Don't question it, just fucking do it

Boogiepop

Read Dixon's Nightwing and Robin runs. Don't question it, just fucking do it

Are they THAT good, then? I'll admit a part of me is tempted, but limited exposure combined with the rather meaty size of both (70 of one and 100 of the other as the baseline, plus some extra odds and ends) has me a little intimidated, especially when I don't really have experience with the author. (Also admittedly I'm not a big Robin or Nightwing guy, so as a baseline the idea of solos for them doesn't sound especially tempting).

Also, unrelated, but holy crap is Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader good. I mean, I was reading the DC Universe by Neil Gaiman and it all was great stuff, and just from pedigree it was of course going to be good. But daaaaaamn, that was some powerful stuff.

Edit: Aka "damn I'm probably going to have to do this now, but at least sell me on it a little harder so I don't have to debate spending the money on it..."

Edit x2: Trades being a better proposition on what's out of them combined with the event stuff already covering part of them cut into those 2 enough that I said screw it and picked them up, so I'm done with the Dixon stuff at least. But seriously, back into the spending lockdown now.

Finally sitting down to watch Rogue One. So stoke

Completely full theater at 10 AM. If we hadn't reserved seats I don't think we would have gotten any!

Friend's boyfriend gets him the first volume of Coates' BP for Christmas...

Inner Me: Yes!"

...says it's really good even though he hasn't read it and because it's by a real author. "Real" here meaning "can write more than seven words a page."

And now I'm sad
Are they THAT good, then? I'll admit a part of me is tempted, but limited exposure combined with the rather meaty size of both (70 of one and 100 of the other as the baseline, plus some extra odds and ends) has me a little intimidated, especially when I don't really have experience with the author. (Also admittedly I'm not a big Robin or Nightwing guy, so as a baseline the idea of solos for them doesn't sound especially tempting).

Also, unrelated, but holy crap is Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader good. I mean, I was reading the DC Universe by Neil Gaiman and it all was great stuff, and just from pedigree it was of course going to be good. But daaaaaamn, that was some powerful stuff.

Edit: Aka "damn I'm probably going to have to do this now, but at least sell me on it a little harder so I don't have to debate spending the money on it..."

Edit x2: Trades being a better proposition on what's out of them combined with the event stuff already covering part of them cut into those 2 enough that I said screw it and picked them up, so I'm done with the Dixon stuff at least. But seriously, back into the spending lockdown now.

MY BOY

Let me put it this way: Dixon knows how to tell good stories and his versions of those characters are considered by many to be the definitive versions. And by "many" I mean me

Timo

Liked Omega Men. Loved Sheriff of Babylon. Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe was ok, the tiny text on the bottom of the page doesnt work so good when you read that much of the comic at the same time, worked better in singles.

Friend's boyfriend gets him the first volume of Coates' BP for Christmas...

Inner Me: Yes!"

...says it's really good even though he hasn't read it and because it's by a real author. "Real" here meaning "can write more than seven words a page."

And now I'm sad

MY BOY

Let me put it this way: Dixon knows how to tell good stories and his versions of those characters are considered by many to be the definitive versions. And by "many" I mean me
It's a shame he quit writing superhero comics and built a bunker in the woods to "protect his family from Hillary".

Edit: From twitter a thing that all writers and artists are doing thanks to SGM:
GIVE ME YOUR TOP 3 pet peeves when looking at comic art? What does an artist do that takes you out of the story?

Holy fuck I completely forgot about this week's list. This is terrible!

Aliens Defiance #8
Aliens vs. Predator Life and Death #1
Frostbite #4
Wonder Woman #13
ROM #6
Saga #41
Deadly Class #25
East of West #30
Elephantmen #74
Monstress #9
Shutter #25
Wayward #19
Hulk #1
Generation Zero #5

Edit: From twitter a thing that all writers and artists are doing thanks to SGM:

I usully don't have too many nitpicks about art or narrow expectations of what the art should be likes. Saying that, my peeves!

1) When the characters don't feel like they are part of the world. A disconnect between characters/background giving it an 90s adventure game feel.

2) Poor caption box/speech bubble placements. I've seen so many cases where the flow of the words on a page seems to fight with what the artist intended with his/her art.

3) Undeserved One-page/Two-page spreads. (though this is an issue of writer + artist)

When people say comic authors aren't real authors, how do you respond? Existential crisis? Retorting by stating what an author literally is, and therefore anyone who has written anything at all ever is technically the author of what they wrote? Going on a diatribe about how comics are a different medium and that the same techniques aren't totally transferrable?

Or just ignore them and slowly murder them within your mind?

Or maybe actual murder?

When people say comic authors aren't real authors, how do you respond? Existential crisis? Retorting by stating what an author literally is, and therefore anyone who has written anything at all ever is technically the author of what they wrote? Going on a diatribe about how comics are a different medium and that the same techniques aren't totally transferrable?

Or just ignore them and slowly murder them within your mind?

Or maybe actual murder?

It's not worth getting upset over. Ignore them and move on.

I will say Kev Walker's lack of backgrounds in Star Wars: Aphra is bugging me, tho. So much of sci-fi/star wars is in the backgrounds, the world as it were, and when that stuff is absent its harder to get into the story.

The unfortunate reality is that for every non-Jamie McKelvie Kieron Gillen book, I always think, "Boy, I bet Jamie McKelvie would've killed this page"

Owzers

How does it do that when it has exactly zero of those things?
I find it to be a silly movie with constant reaction shots, I'd rather Han and Leia not been in force entirely and I get the whole "Chewie, we're home" moment is good for applause but it just sets up the rest of the film to be sprinkled with things that annoy me. I'm currently rewatching force awakens to give it a chance after getting stuff spoiled before I saw it in theaters, halfway through and i still equate it with Jurassic world.

Top Bottom