• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

We'll make a real January Comics OT and then a "floppies readers |OT| IN 2017"

Great idea, here is the page topper for the Floppy Readers OT:

tumblr_inline_n03a3dTr3x1r5sw8j.gif

Owzers

I will not stand by and let floppies be a joke around here. Although there was that one time I ripped the edge of a page just by turning it...

I will say Kev Walker's lack of backgrounds in Star Wars: Aphra is bugging me, tho. So much of sci-fi/star wars is in the backgrounds, the world as it were, and when that stuff is absent its harder to get into the story.

The unfortunate reality is that for every non-Jamie McKelvie Kieron Gillen book, I always think, "Boy, I bet Jamie McKelvie would've killed this page"
McKelvie is an artist that I think lacks the kind of pure drawing ability that many other top artists have but he does everything else so damn well. Might be the best planner.

Owzers

All digital atm, but I do buy random floppies then and now when I go into a store
Floppies deserve better.

I don't think it's appropriate to make an ot thread for floppies so I'm going to write down some stuff for January and mail it to people. Then if people buy books they can mail their thoughts to me and I'll compile them into...okay this might not work.

Floppies are cool.

Honestly, I love the idea of floppies, but I'm all digital at this point (helps when taking screenshots for reviews).

I think the industry needs to rethink the 22-pager at some point, because I'm not seeing the need there, outside of servicing the direct market.

Honestly, I love the idea of floppies, but I'm all digital at this point (helps when taking screenshots for reviews).

I think the industry needs to rethink the 22-pager at some point, because I'm not seeing the need there, outside of servicing the direct market.

Hmm, what do you mean by rethinking the 22-pager? Switching to longer, quarterly titles? Shrinking the regular issue size?

I'd love to see publishers start bundling lower-performing series into stuff like the Jump magazine releases.

Is Justice League 3000/3001 good?

Sorta. It's very... Giffen. Also extremely anime, the entire first arc coulda been pulled right out of a shonen series. Gorgeous art and an overall fun tone (despite featuring some horrific stuff) keeps it on the recommend list, but it's certainly not for everybody.

VanWinkle

Hmm, what do you mean by rethinking the 22-pager? Switching to longer, quarterly titles? Shrinking the regular issue size?

I'd love to see publishers start bundling lower-performing series into stuff like the Jump magazine releases.

Sorta. It's very... Giffen. Also extremely anime, the entire first arc coulda been pulled right out of a shonen series. Gorgeous art and an overall fun tone (despite featuring some horrific stuff) keeps it on the recommend list, but it's certainly not for everybody.

I think I'm going to go for it. I'm pretty open-minded in regards to what I like. And I can get all of 3000 and 3001 for a total of $20.79 on Comixology right now, sooo....

Basically, the 22-pager exists because that was the form that was good for the newsstands from a size/price standpoint. None of that really matter anymore and these days, we keep it because of tradition and the fact that direct market is built to handle floppies in their current form.

Once you move to digital, that goes out the door. Make the story the length you need to tell the story. Marvel's slowly coming to this realization with it's digital-only books. X-Men 92 is anywhere from 20-25 pages per issue, but there's room for more variance. You can see minimums for pricing purposes ("You'll always get at least 20 pages for $1.99!"), but otherwise, the format should fit the story being told, not the other way around.

And yes, like you point out, you can put lower performing titles in an anthology series. You can experiment with the format: maybe a monthly 100-page anthology with five stories is the best format for your smaller characters and new ideas. Maybe 6 pages released weekly, like Warren Ellis' FreakAngels is your best method. It depends on your story.

tim1138

Amazon has a deal where you can rent any movie for a buck, so I finally got around to watching Suicide Squad. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. It's super obvious where they re-shot the final third of the movie (from the bar scene and on), because boy does the tone change, it really felt like two movies squished into one. Viola Davis and Margot Robbie were easily the best part, aside from Lawton the rest of the cast was pretty underutilized. It's also worth noting my impressions are inherently tied to only spending a buck to see it.

Anthology books don't happen because they sell poorly.

I mean, everything sells poorly except for Spider-Man, Batman, Star Wars, and various combinations of those properties.

I argue that major publishers and the direct market are more predicated on not seeing them as a strong profit driver and so they don't really try on the format. There's nothing really preventing a collection featuring something like Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman, Adventures of Superman, and Legends of the Dark Knight in the same book alongside some smaller stories. Essentially, the industry has taught a specific demographic that this is what we offer as a norm and in doing so, alienated other demos. We sold pulp magazines until we decided pulp magazines weren't the thing we were selling anymore.

It's like manga. For the longest time, manga was either not published on Western shores, or sold in odd-cut floppy format. It wasn't that a market didn't exist for translated manga in the tankobon format, it was that existing publishers and retailers didn't try hard enough to sell the different format to new or existing audiences. Once someone really dug in, the format took off. And note, it flourished outside of the direct market, where the market itself wasn't trying to force the content to fit its existing format.

(As a random example of setting norms in a market, see the reception to Super Mario Run. Console players enjoy the buy once share model, but avid mobile players are used to free-to-play and micros, so the $10 asking price seems high and unnecessary to them.)

All of which has little to do with the rest of my post.

Sandfox

Star lord was definitely interesting but can't say it was good

I thought it was fine. Zdarsky clearly understands the character unlike certain other writers and he's putting the character in funny situations, which is what you would expect from his writing.

I would say the same is true for Captain Marvel because it shows that Stohl read Brian Reed's run and won't be running away from her flaws like KSD.

Ross61

I mean, everything sells poorly except for Spider-Man, Batman, Star Wars, and various combinations of those properties.

I argue that major publishers and the direct market are more predicated on not seeing them as a strong profit driver and so they don't really try on the format. There's nothing really preventing a collection featuring something like Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman, Adventures of Superman, and Legends of the Dark Knight in the same book alongside some smaller stories. Essentially, the industry has taught a specific demographic that this is what we offer as a norm and in doing so, alienated other demos. We sold pulp magazines until we decided pulp magazines weren't the thing we were selling anymore.

It's like manga. For the longest time, manga was either not published on Western shores, or sold in odd-cut floppy format. It wasn't that a market didn't exist for translated manga in the tankobon format, it was that existing publishers and retailers didn't try hard enough to sell the different format to new or existing audiences. Once someone really dug in, the format took off. And note, it flourished outside of the direct market, where the market itself wasn't trying to force the content to fit its existing format.

(As a random example of setting norms in a market, see the reception to Super Mario Run. Console players enjoy the buy once share model, but avid mobile players are used to free-to-play and micros, so the $10 asking price seems high and unnecessary to them.)

All of which has little to do with the rest of my post.

Is there a chance we could go full digital and still release trades in the near future?

mreddie

I thought it was fine. Zdarsky clearly understands the character unlike certain other writers and he's putting the character in funny situations, which is what you would expect from his writing.

I would say the same is true for Captain Marvel because it shows that Stohl read Brian Reed's run and won't be running away from her flaws like KSD.

Best heroes are flawed, I'm glad CM and SL are off to a good start if Star Lord had too much OLM.

TheFlow

Banned

I felt like the book didn't know what direction it was heading towards. Star lord on earth should be some A one story telling but I don't feel like I am going to get that

VanWinkle

JL3K was a lot of fun, JL3K1 started out pretty strong but ends on a total dud.

How come? Did it get caught up in an event or was it just a cappy ending arc?

A third of the way into CoIE, by the way. VERY dense read. Taking forever. It's good so far, though.

Sandfox

Best heroes are flawed, I'm glad CM and SL are off to a good start if Star Lord had too much OLM.
I like Carol better as a flawed character, and I remember ranting about that on here a while back.

We're also getting an issue for Star-Lord teams up with
Shocker, which could be fun if it's like the Superior Foes version.
I felt like the book didn't know what direction it was heading towards. Star lord on earth should be some A one story telling but I don't feel like I am going to get that

The first issue setup
the reason why he hasn't left earth and how things currently stand with Kitty
. So far it seems like the book will about
Star-Lord building up his contacts by teaming up with other characters from abound the MU while adjusting to life on Earth.

Rocket Raccoon is going to be a serious book so there should be a nice contrast there.

Is there a chance we could go full digital and still release trades in the near future?

The direct market prevents that. Most comic sales comes from comic stores, most comic stores need the weekly churn of floppies. Anytime the big publishers do anything that could hurt the direct market, comic store owners revolt and get angry because it's their goddamn livelihood. (See: The retailer backlash at the random Walmart comic bundles.)

Speaking to my earlier point about format and what sells in the direct market, here's a big rant by Big Bang Comics' John Hendrick in response to this article (which has some great points in it).

Comic store's are businesses. They're NOT meant to be your hobby, yes it's a fun job, it's the BEST job, I love it. But we have all the same concerns and constraints that any other store has, we can't and shouldn't just stock what WE like. And I feel for a long time there's a change coming to stores that are that way inclined, but you can't do that. It's 2016.

And we should be held to the same standard as any other store, if foot locker only sold Adidas and you don't like Adidas, why go there. The only way we're going to succeed is if we're able to diversify, respond to customers buying habits and be pro-active. We need to be better at what WE do as retailers and constantly try to be better, that's how we get new readers. And we ALWAYS have to try get new readers. That's how this industry will grow. And it's the only way.

And Ryan Higgins:

When Marvel and DC are on fire, that gives me so much more money to try new titles, restock GNs, experiment with new lines. Marvel and DC's sale absolutely affect my ability to order independent comics. They're all connected. If you're coming into a store every few months to pick up one indie comic, it's unlikely to be there. I've already cut my orders back. Do I like this? Nope. But how do I know that issue is going to sell? This industry dies on deaths by 1000 paper cuts.

And El Anderson:
I am getting REALLY tired of framing concerns about retailer survival through the lens of corporate welfare for Diamond & the big 2.

Part of reaching to new readers isn't just the content. It's also the format. Trying to sell people on just DC/Marvel is rough. Trying to sell people on floppies is hard. And the current direct market punishes retailers and publishers for trying anything new.

I honestly think Giffen ran out of steam. Cancellation could have been part of it, but it had been spinning its wheels for a little while before.

He seemed lost after the transition to 3001.

Ross61

The direct market prevents that. Most comic sales comes from comic stores, most comic stores need the weekly churn of floppies. Anytime the big publishers do anything that could hurt the direct market, comic store owners revolt and get angry because it's their goddamn livelihood. (See: The retailer backlash at the random Walmart comic bundles.)

Speaking to my earlier point about format and what sells in the direct market, here's a big rant by Big Bang Comics' John Hendrick in response to this article (which has some great points in it).

And Ryan Higgins:

And El Anderson:

Part of reaching to new readers isn't just the content. It's also the format. Trying to sell people on just DC/Marvel is rough. Trying to sell people on floppies is hard. And the current direct market punishes retailers and publishers for trying anything new.

He seemed lost after the transition to 3001.

Are there any propositions for inmorovement or reform?

Top Bottom