• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

mreddie

Best Book: Vision
Trash Ass Book: Flash
Vailant Book of the Year: NONE OF THEM
Best IDW Book of the Year that isn't Revolution: Jem
Rebirth of the Year: Arrow
ANAD of the Year: Moon Knight
Olivia Wilde of the Year: Anna Kendrick because what is Olivia doing?
Worst Tweet of the Year: Dan Slott
Best Art: Mike Del Mundo's art
Greg Land Art of the Year (Worst Art): Champions
Best Adaptation: Civil War
Forced Push of the Year aka the YAS QUEEN: SWERVE, It's Harley Quinn.

oh ma gawd

Prime 1 Studios Spiderman 2099
522881.jpg

Messi

Best Book: Vision
Trash Ass Book: Flash
Vailant Book of the Year: NONE OF THEM
Best IDW Book of the Year that isn't Revolution: Jem
Rebirth of the Year: Arrow
ANAD of the Year: Moon Knight
Olivia Wilde of the Year: Anna Kendrick because what is Olivia doing?
Worst Tweet of the Year: Dan Slott
Best Art: Mike Del Mundo's art
Greg Land Art of the Year (Worst Art): Champions
Best Adaptation: Civil War
Forced Push of the Year aka the YAS QUEEN: SWERVE, It's Harley Quinn.

Just having a kid and directing movies. No biggie.

They don't have to force Harley anymore. That's a train that they can't stop now.

Messi

I'm sure Kate Leth will survive the injustice of having two side characters removed from her books.

Tess Fowler lost her job because her writer was a fucking asshole.

Sandfox

Alan Moore is still getting screwed over the most IMO given Rebirth and how crazy the Watchmen reprints are getting.

I'm sure Kate Leth will survive the injustice of having two side characters removed from her books.

Tess Fowler lost her job because her writer was a fucking asshole.
Forgot about her.

Messi

Movie directing? Huh. Oh, you mean the RHCP video. It's a start.

BUT GUESS WHAT I FOUND!

Drinking_Buddies_poster.jpg

#ItsAllConnected

Nah there is a movie also. She also produced Meadowland with Reed Morano. By the sound of it the movie only happened because of the two of them.

That movie is good, but Kendrick is terrible in it lol.

Fun fact. That's where this gif is from

giphy.gif

This Olivia Wilde movie is not going to be what I want it to be.

A Vigilante (2018): A woman helps victims seeking revenge against their domestic abusers

VanWinkle

Best trade paperback release: The Omega Men
Best standard-size HC release: Superman: American Alien
Best OHC release: Green Arrow by Lemire/Sorrentino Deluxe Edition
Best omni release: War of Kings by DnA/Brubaker/et al
Best over-oversize release: The Goon Library Edition Vol 2

Best writer in a 2016 book: Tom King - The Omega Men and The Vision
Best artist in a 2016 book: Otto Schmidt - Green Arrow

Most surprisingly good series of 2016 - Green Arrow by Percy/Schmidt/Ferreyra
Most disappointing series of 2016 - Batman by King/Finch/Janin

Alan Moore is still getting screwed over the most IMO given Rebirth and how crazy the Watchmen reprints are getting.

We named the damn category for that:
The Watchmen Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fucking Over a Creator

Just assume it's won every year for 30 straight years, and nominate the second biggest example this past year.

frye

Watchmen is approaching Sandman levels of increasingly absurd and unnecessary reprints

actually that slipcase with the single issues in hardcover format might have put it over the top

jurgen

We named the damn category for that:
The Watchmen Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fucking Over a Creator

Just assume it's won every year for 30 straight years, and nominate the second biggest example this past year.

I don't know, Steve Ditko's a dark horse in this category for the past 54 years.

1nZuuPz.gif
TYRANT RAVE'S FAVORITE COMICS THAT I'VE READ IN 2016
1nZuuPz.gif

Hellboy in Hell - I've talked a lot about this series since getting into it last year, and for a good reason! While I'm not going to repeat myself yet again, I'll just say that it's a fantastic comic with a lovable protagonist. In Hell serves as the finale to the series and it's beautiful, really. It's a really fitting ending that serves as a perfect conclusion to the character for now. Mike's art is beyond gorgeous here and you can really see how much he loves art just from the last few issues of this alone. Can't wait to see more of his paintings during his break from the series.

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - The best team comic you probably aren't reading. While the overall story is pretty dark for this mega arc, there's still plenty of optimism and humor mixed in to make you care for the cast. Who would've guessed the spin-off of Hellboy would end up being just as good? On top of the great writing by Mignola and Arcudi, the series also features a wealth of fantastic artists. You've got Cameron Stewart drawing the wonderful Ashley Strode arcs along with the very talented James Harren killing it on action scenes not long after. If you enjoy team books in any capacity, you owe it to yourself to read this comic.

Face - One of the most horrific comics I've read, and it's only a single issue! Face shows how strong of a writer Milligan is (or, was), and it's pretty damn amazing. I don't think I've ever read any comic this suspenseful and I was just completely blown away. It's a fucking shame that you can't buy it anywhere except eBay auctions. Classic comic.

X-Force / X-Statix - My new favorite X-Comic. Milligan turns the famous X-Force series into a full-blown parody of superhero comics and it's perfect. It's the kind of comic where you're sad to finish it because of how good it is. This is a perfect example of creators at the top of their game and a great example of what superhero comics should strive to be creatively. Don't wait as long as I did to read this, I feel pretty stupid for not reading it until this year.

Daredevil by Frank Miller - Probably the best run to be published by Marvel straight up. Miller completely reinvented the character and is still probably the best rendition of the character yet. It's insane how much of his history has stemmed from this, and it's also not surprising after finally reading this. Daredevil #181 is one of the best single issues I've read. And Elektra Assassin and Lives Again are equally amazing comics with stunning artwork.

Doom Patrol by Gerard Way - This is how you revive a series successfully. In just three issues Way has successfully turned Casey into one of my favorite new characters with one of the best origin stories I've read. It feels like a fantastic homage to the history of the team while still doing something new and fresh. This is the most exciting comic out right now and something I look forward to each month.

The Flintstones - Biggest surprise of 2016 hands down, and one of my favorite ongoings right now. It manages to be incredibly relevant in today's world and hilarious at the same time. Don't sleep on this comic.

Megg and Mogg In Amsterdam - The followup to the also fantastic Megahex came out this year, and it's just as good as the last book. Megg and Mogg continues to be a hilarious, yet depressingly relatable series of short stories. Not for the faint of heart due to how crude and offensive it can be, but if you can deal with it you'll find something special here. It provides great insight towards mental illness and what it's like to live with it and it's infinitely rereadable.

Catwoman by Brubaker - I was honestly always neutral towards the character, but this book made me fall in love with Selina's character. She's cunning, funny, strong, and caring. This series is a great street-level cape book with some great writing and art. Plus it opens up with some art by the great, late Darwyn Cooke. And in classic Brubaker fashion, you'll get some "dammit..."s thrown in for good measure.

Shade, the Changing Man - The biggest crime that DC has committed is not collecting this series entirely in print. The relationships here are fantastic and this comic is really progressive for one published during the 90s. The various scenarios Shade and Kathy get into are insane in all the right ways. Hopefully the new Young Animal book gets just as crazy.

Other favorites that I couldn't fit into a top ten:
Starfire
Zenith by Grant Morrison
The Authority by Warren Ellis
Hitman by Garth Ennis - Secret best DC comic??
Enigma by Peter Milligan
5000KM Per Second
Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka (original run including the Hikiteia)
Squirrel Girl and her OGN - Best Marvel ongoing and a great OGN
Love & Rockets
Deadly Class
Black Widow
Midnighter
Snotgirl

Read a lot of cool stuff this year and I bought too much... again.

That
last page made it seem like she was unhinged. The art also made her look crazy although I could be wrong as the art was shit.
I didn't see it as her being insane at all. She just fully bought into Scott's dream. She had to in order for this all to work, and she always has been. She's immensely hurt by it all, and she's struck with grief. She lost the love of her life and had to spend however long creating a psychic projection that she used to lead a mutant to his death to stalemate the group that had released a toxic genocide cloud. Oh, and said projection was killed again, this time by the king of the Inhumans, who have now basically gotten away with everything. So even if she is insane at this point, I'd say she's experienced enough mass trauma to justify it.

And yeah, the art was shit. Absolutely terrible.

EDIT: Totally forgot I could add manga.

Best Book - My Hero Academia *was Vision*
Trash Ass Book - Extraordinary X-Men
Best IDW Book of the Year that isn't Revolution - Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
Rebirth of the Year - Superman
ANAD of the Year - Black Panther
Olivia Wilde of the Year - Felicity Jones
Best Art - My Hero Academia * was Black Widow*
Worst Art - Civil War II
Forced Push of the Year - Inhumans

The Harley Quinn Award for Worst Comic Character: Beast
The Tom King Award for Character Development (aka The Vision): Captain America
The Tom King Award for Character Regression (aka The Batman): Captain Marvel
The Watchmen Award for Outstanding Achievement in Fucking Over a Creator: EHHHH
The Brian K. Vaughan Award for the Best Writer in Comics: David Walker or Kieron Gillen
The Fiona Staples Award for Best Illustrated Genitalia: Inuyashiki

Superman #11
A nice conclusion to the World's Smallest arc. At first I was a bad scared that Damien and Jon would have too similar of a dynamic to Bruce and Clark, but this arc proves that this is not the case and I definitely look forward to Super Sons when it drops. Very charming arc, much like this book as a whole.

Green Arrow #11
A lot of great action and tension in this issue. This is some serious blockbuster shit going on here. I also appreciate how toned down it is compared to the previous two issues as far as ham-fisted political preachiness being shoved in my face. About the same as the first arc. That said, the
Hillary Clinton insert was laughable. Looked weird and out of place as fuck. Like a bad photoshop combined with bad dialogue. Didn't work for me at all

Solid issue and a decent way to come out of a slump. Hopefully it rises further

Detective Comics #945
Interesting issue. I kind of wish we would have
more of the psych evals other than just Basil and Steph. Now, as much as I know Bats can be a huge dick, I thought he was completely in line to lay in to Steph. Playing at the idea that he doesn't care.

Now, I do have a theory that someone on the crew is a sleeper agent, and I'm going to assume that, based on the ending and the fact that the psych evals focused only on Clayface and Spoilet that it's one of those two OR in a massive twist: Luke Fox.
Either way that's what I'm going with.

And while I like the idea of the Victim Syndicate, and I enjoy them so far,
I feel like Bruce being as shaken as he is right now is sort of...too much? Like I get it: Bruce blames himself for everything and has a massive chip on his shoulder, but by this point he should be well enough to know that these people can't claim to be the just party and then terrorize people. Victims or not. Like, come on Bruce.

Solid issue aside. Although Barrows was severely missed.

Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #1
This was a fun issue. I liked the fan service and the art did a good job of capturing the feel of both respective animated series. There are some solid jokes here (Alfred's nothing) and it definitely has that heartwarming cartoon feel. I feel like it could be something special, like Lil' Gotham, so I might just check out the next issue.

Well, reading by collections and thus having not touched Rebirth, a good deal of ANAD or Young Animal, highlights of 2016 were:

---

Hellboy In Hell & BPRD: Both Mignola & Arcudi steered their long running epics to conclusion, and completely stuck the landing. The highpoint in storytelling in comics for me this year. If the Mignola line up and closed tomorrow with those two as the capstone I'd be perfectly happy, it was that good. Anything that comes next does have the risk of undermining such a fantastic finale.

Tom King's arrival: King's debut and subsequent proliferation reminds me of Scott Snyder's rocket to the top. King managed to go from someone I wasn't aware of to Batman writer, and he did it by putting out the best books of the year - for BOTH Marvel & DC. Omega Men & Vision were both just a breath of fresh air, taking familiar toys and doing something different with them. And I haven't even read Sheriff Of Babylon yet!

Image comics: Well, it's not really a 2016 thing, Image have been providing the framework for creators to put out the most incredible books and in large quantity for years now, but I think at this point I just take for granted the sheer amount of books Image put out that I consider to be 10/10 reads and it's worth noting that we still have them and they really do make up the backbone of my comic reading experience in 2016. Rucka, Lemire, Brubaker, Hickman, Remender, Hickman, Aaron, BKV. They tore the house down AGAIN this year with their books, and Image gave them the house to do it.

DCYou: Yup, while everyone has moved onto Rebirth, my DC reading experience this year was defined by the DCYou collections still making it to market. Gotham Academy, Batgirl & Black Canary were all fucking awesome and I really liked the Superheavy volume of Batman getting in on the shake-up by putting Jim Gordon on the driver's seat. Special mention too for Scott Snyder landing his Batman opus, even if I'm still waiting for it to round out in collection. He may not be done with the character, but again, like the Image point, it's been easy to take for granted how high in quality his run has been since it's been around so long. King's run seems to be wildy varied in how people have taken to it, so yea, pouring one out for Snyder.

Thor & Dr. Strange: So yea, last but not least. I mentioned I haven't really got to read a good few ANAD series yet that I suspect will be favourites, but after Vision (and King consequently leaving Marvel anyway), Jason Aaron carried Marvel for me this year. Thor & Dr Strange were brilliant, some great creative additions to the mythos of both characters that allows each book to have it's own very specific spin on the characters that Aaron can make his own and then he runs with it. Great writer, the art was to die for (particularly Dauterman), great books.

---

I probably missed some stuff, but these jump out at me as the things that really defined my reading experience this year and came right to mind. Not much mentioned outside of the big three because I just didn't really get to read much outside of Dark Horse's Mignola stuff otherwise, and I didn't even read a lot of DC or Marvel books hah, I followed about 5-6 titles each. Hoping DH's latest creator owned book push comes to fruition and I can rave a bit about Black Hammer or Ether etc next year.

Also, sad absence that would have defined my list 5 years ago or so probably would have been Vertigo books. The only Vertigo book I bought was whatever volume of American Vampire came out and I haven't got to it yet so yea. I would like to see that change, but knowing my DC books will likely go up a little in the next year with Young Animal trades & a few rebirth books, I'm not sure I'd have a willing budget anyway. Image really ate their lunch, or DC put it in the bin first and Image let everyone know the ice cream truck was outside.

Yay, 2016. A good year for comics anyway.

Zombine

Banned
Watchmen is approaching Sandman levels of increasingly absurd and unnecessary reprints

actually that slipcase with the single issues in hardcover format might have put it over the top

Sandman has only two formats that matter:

Absolute and the two omnibus collections.

I already see end of year lists. Have y'all given up on comics being released in December?!

http://i.imgur.com/qQj16QN.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

I really like this. Where is this from?

[quote="Sandfox, post: 225885686"]I need to tackle my backlog.[/QUOTE]

Gwenpool is suck a fascinating set-up and I can see so many interesting ideas being explored through it. I need to start reading it.

[quote="Tyrant Rave, post: 225890536"][img]http://i.imgur.com/1nZuuPz.gifTYRANT RAVE'S FAVORITE COMICS THAT I'VE READ IN 2016

Good list! Love & Rockets and Milligan's Shade will be on my list too. Still waiting for my Squirrel Girl OGN to be delivered but I have a feeling it will be on there too.

Found on Amazon: Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III is getting reprinted.

So that means Cass, Steph and Kate will all have runs reprinted like people wanted.

It's actually even better than just a reprint, it has the final few issues of Rucka's run that were never collected. Really decent.

I already see end of year lists. Have y'all given up on comics being released in December?!

Hah fair point. I go on comic ban from around half way through November so I don't step on the toes of any gifts that may be bought for Christmas haha my year is effectively over for comics.

Tizoc

X-Statix gives me so much strong FEELS I can't re-read it.
It was such an experience that to revisit it would be so heartbreaking T_T

Any of you guys psyched for psx? I'm about to order a huge spicy chicken pizza to hunker down with for the presser

I'm in for Mahvel and any other games that may also come to PC.

Might buy a PS4 after Christmas, there's no Pros to be got anywhere and it seems pointless buying a regular one now. VR might be easier to get after the holidays as well.

Might buy a PS4 after Christmas, there's no Pros to be got anywhere and it seems pointless buying a regular one now. VR might be easier to get after the holidays as well.

Well I wouldn't say it's pointless, I just picked up the slim myself and I'm very pleased with it. Depends what you value and what you're after. I think for you though, definitely the pro. You just got the TV and as a pc gamer, I doubt noise or heat or even power usage will bother you.

Just as a side note, I am super fucking impressed with the slim. I hated playing my og Ps4, but this thing is really nice. Noise is very low and genuinely unnoticeable outside of the disc spinning up at the very beginning of boot for physical games. I think the rubber on the sticks is better too.

VanWinkle

Man, I'm reading through the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Fantagraphics books and I just love Rosa's insanely detailed line work. Wonderful looking stuff.

BVLdQYt.jpg

EgupVma.jpg

rFrzvf6.jpg

pbFGifo.jpg

Well I wouldn't say it's pointless, I just picked up the slim myself and I'm very pleased with it. Depends what you value and what you're after. I think for you though, definitely the pro. You just got the TV and as a pc gamer, I doubt noise or heat or even power usage will bother you.

Just as a side note, I am super fucking impressed with the slim. I hated playing my og Ps4, but this thing is really nice. Noise is very low and genuinely unnoticeable outside of the disc spinning up at the very beginning of boot for physical games. I think the rubber on the sticks is better too.

Yeah, I should have said "pointless for me". My PC is pretty quiet and cool though, I don't skimp on the cooler or case. It'd be silly to drop €400 on a GFX card or an i7 and then it melts six months later because the airflow is rubbish. Power usage is definitely a thing, though.

Getting VR is a big thing for me as well, and it just seems like that'd be better on the Pro. Even on PC, I don't want to give Oculus money, and I haven't got the floor space or budget for a Vive, especially since I'll likely change GPU and main monitor when the 1100 series arrives.

And I have to find budget space for a Switch as well. The most first world of first world problems.

Man, I'm reading through the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Fantagraphics books and I just love Rosa's insanely detailed line work. Wonderful looking stuff.

That's some gorgeous stuff. My ex's dad was super into the old Donald Duck comics and when he died he gave them all to her and I read through a bunch of them. Don Rosa was a really tremendous artist.

And I have to find budget space for a Switch as well. The most first world of first world problems.

Do you, though? My confidence in the Switch (and my need for one) is extremely low. Nintendo has a lot to prove to me.

If you're already a die hard fan of their first party stuff, I suppose they've got your money either way. I'm not interested in a new Smash or Mario Kart. Zelda...maybe?

Top Bottom