• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I find it helps if you actually read the comics after the buying part is done.

I'm reading Marvel stuff right now. I don't have time for that indie nerd stuff!

I'll probably let the Image stuff go all the way to X-mas now. I get two days off for each X-mas and New Years so I'll have plenty of time to read then.

Velinos

What are you looking for in a comic specifically? I got some recommendations but need to know what your preferences are.

Mostly just looking for any other must reads that are current or recently released as trades outside of what I listed above. Looking for a good story, preferably something non-superhero.

Hagi

Very hyped for this book.

New writer AND Ramon Perez????

His art is fantastic in the book, especially with the colouring it has. As for the issue itself well I quite enjoyed it but it felt short? could've done with a little more to it. I'm excited for where this goes though. It's great to have Rich back.

Uh
he also got ECT in Year Zero. The focus on mental illness at the root of his choice to be Batman has been there for a while.

Batman #12-

He didn't go actually go through with it in the end IIRC. Spotlighting Batman's mental health in depth is rare though and interesting
. Snyder's
picking it up again with Bruce's time at an Arkham facility with Harvey Dent
in All-Star Batman.

Batman #12-

He didn't go actually go through with it in the end IIRC. Spotlighting Batman's mental health in depth is rare though and interesting
. Snyder's
picking it up again with Bruce's time at an Arkham facility with Harvey Dent
in All-Star Batman.

It's SUPER interesting and very admirable.

We need to talk about Janin's work this week though. In depth. All of us.

Hagi

The last part of Nova is really cool

Issue spoilers
Rich is still tied to the Cancerverse? Could be a doorway or has some gnarly other dimension disease.

ONmYqfT.png

THERE IS NO DOC OCK IN HR.

"You know what Rhino? Give this guy a cigarette, he's freakin' out."
"What, who?"
"Rhino. He's the guy who crashes through walls."
"RHINO? WHO THE HELL IS RHINO?"
"You don't see Rhi -- oh shit."

Mindwipe

I find it helps if you actually read the comics after the buying part is done.

Lies!

Being very hungover in Christmas party week is not helping my reading at all, but I've been trying to get through The Last Days of American Crime, which I think so far I like more as a concept than an actual book. Then maybe Wayward. Which I bought aaages ago.

Lies!

Being very hungover in Christmas party week is not helping my reading at all, but I've been trying to get through The Last Days of American Crime, which I think so far I like more as a concept than an actual book. Then maybe Wayward. Which I bought aaages ago.

I feel mostly the same way about Last Days. I bought it mainly for the Tocchini art. Wayward is excellent, though. As is the backmatter on Japanese culture in every issue.

"There's no Peter Parker? You gotta be kidding me! I got boxes full of webbing! All right. So I start marchin' my way down to The Jackal in New U and I knock on his door and I say, 'Jackal! Jackal! I gotta talk to you about Parker.' And when I open the door what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office!"

"That right there is the Spider-Mobile. Now let's talk about the Spider-Mobile. Can we talk about the mail, please, Anna Maria? I've been dying to talk about the Spider-Mobile with you all day, OK?

Motor Crush was definitely a Cameron Stewart/Brenden Fletcher/Babs Tarr joint. Pretty to look at, but not much else

Sounds great! Haha. Nah I get that's not meant as a positive but I think I can read into that summary as if you like their other stuff, you're on good ground. I think their stuff has a lot of heart and fun. What did you/other folks who picked it up think of the Isola preview?

Is there like an editorial mandate at Marvel against any dialogue written in dialect ever?

I understand why the practice can be insensitive in literature, or just plain hackey if it doesn't tell you anything about the character. And I know very well what a joke the speech patterns of characters like Gambit and Rogue were in the past. But it seems like there's just a complete ban on it. It's almost jarring when Gambit shows up in Uncanny Avengers and just has zero dialect at all. Or when I forget that Friday has an Irish accent.

Yes, it's dumb when that stuff is so thick you have to stop and translate it in your head as you go, but I think just a bit of it sprinkled in here and there is kind of nice to remind you that someone has an accent.

Maybe there is still some and I just never see it.

"There's no Peter Parker? You gotta be kidding me! I got boxes full of webbing! All right. So I start marchin' my way down to The Jackal in New U and I knock on his door and I say, 'Jackal! Jackal! I gotta talk to you about Parker.' And when I open the door what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office!"

HIDkvw8.png

Sandfox

Is there like an editorial mandate at Marvel against any dialogue written in dialect ever?

I understand why the practice can be insensitive in literature, or just plain hackey if it doesn't tell you anything about the character. And I know very well what a joke the speech patterns of characters like Gambit and Rogue were in the past. But it seems like there's just a complete ban on it. It's almost jarring when Gambit shows up in Uncanny Avengers and just has zero dialect at all. Or when I forget that Friday has an Irish accent.

Yes, it's dumb when that stuff is so thick you have to stop and translate it in your head as you go, but I think just a bit of it sprinkled in here and there is kind of nice to remind you that someone has an accent.

Maybe there is still some and I just never see it.
Rogue in is written with her accent in Uncanny Avengers.

Top Bottom