• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

I think Avengers is a good example of a book that wasn't ready for a new volume

It's not uncommon for shared universe stories to reference events in other comics, but it's rare for those events to be an essential part of the story. Here we have a case where a prior story in a prior volume is basically the first part of the story being told here. If a book is going to have multiple connected arcs driven by one storyteller, it should be one volume. A lineup change isn't enough to justify a new volume. ANAD Avengers was a bad title that wasn't built to last, but it would have been better to just drop the ANAD.

This probably sounds kinda nitpicky, but it bugs me that "Mark Waid Avengers" will always span at least two volumes for no reason

Cable creative team announced. James Robinson and Carlos Pacheco. Plot is Cable trying to fix time(can he go and kill the O5?) which is like the 5th time this "mission" has happened since AoU it feels like.

Hmmm, Robinson has done some good stuff but also last year's Scarlet Witch which was totally uninspired. Will try though. I like Pacheco just fine.

Time travel is kinda Cable's thing, they are at least leaning into it in a cool way

Slott apparently just confirmed on a live interview that the Jackal in Spider-Island was the new one as well
so Reilly has been back for a while.

Hagi

Whoa what the hell I finished the Age of X trade (which was awesome) and it ends with "Next the Aftermath". They didn't think to put that in the bloody book? Sound like it might be important. Lucky I have Marvel Unlimited.

Zombine

Banned
Walking Dead #161
at what point are the odds so entirely stacked against Rick that he loses everything?

I think we are almost there.

Robinson's main problem is that it's not the mid 90s and he's not writing Starman any more

T07uk2g.gif

Y'all savage in here.

Motor Crush was definitely a Cameron Stewart/Brenden Fletcher/Babs Tarr joint. Pretty to look at, but not much else
I was nicer to Batgirl than most here... But I'm kinda glad I didn't pick this up now, so thanks Tim lol. I thought it was a solid comic but not something I was really fiending for more of.

I read today's Shade and it was amazing. If it weren't for Doom Patrol this would easily be my favorite YA title. That one two page spread in this issue was fantastic. This is such a good follow-up to Milligan's run.

Hagi

Carey rights a nice Rogue. I should probably start Legacy from the beginning but I'm hooked on this Legion stuff so onwards and upwards.

Batman #13 may not be out yet, so I can't say for sure, but it's a safe bet you could miss #12 and not even notice

This issue accomplishes almost nothing and moves the story along by inches.

Batman #13 may not be out yet, so I can't say for sure, but it's a safe bet you could miss #12 and not even notice

It was also the single most emotionally resonant Batman story in 20 years so pick your poison I guess

I feel like you say this every two weeks. If everything is hype then nothing is hype. No?

This isn't about hype. It's about adding a dimension to the character that has only been hinted at for its 75 years of existence.

Why do people equate and dismiss critical analysis by considering it "hype"?

It's choking the life out of our cultural discourse.

If everything is hype than nothing is hype?

If everyone dismisses cultural analysis, then nothing is.

Owzers

This isn't about hype. It's about adding a dimension to the character that has only been hinted at for its 75 years of existence.

Why do people equate and dismiss critical analysis by considering it "hype"?

It's choking the life out of our cultural discourse.

If everything is hype than nothing is hype?

If everyone dismisses cultural analysis, then nothing is.
It sounds like you are hyping cultural analysis.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I've got 10, annual, 11 & 12 to read. Hope I enjoy reading them more together so I didn't enjoy reading one, waiting, repeat

From a 2015 issue of Howard:

Good lord. We've somehow slipped into the alternate timeline. We are clearly in a picto-fic and only Grant Morrison can save us.

Motor Crush was definitely a Cameron Stewart/Brenden Fletcher/Babs Tarr joint. Pretty to look at, but not much else

I'm not done with the issue yet, but it's not bad. It's quite possibly Tim is just wrong.

There was nowhere to go but down after Episode 3.

True. This may end up being a case of Marvel-itis where they fail to stick the landing.

It was also the single most emotionally resonant Batman story in 20 years so pick your poison I guess

How can it be resonant when the thrust of Batman's message relies on information we don't have?
Much of this is reliant on whatever happened with Selina and we know almost nothing about that. It's still a swerve for her character that I dislike
, thus all of that rings hollow. The rest is tired meta analysis, how
silly the concept of Batman is
, which oh my god let's not have THAT conversation again, complete with on-the-nose imagery like
Batman in the water with a shark just as we are talking about how ha ha funny this all is, a shark that does not serve the story in any way and is not there for any reason but to drive home King's point
, so I guess it's safe to say I completely disagree with you there

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Unworthy Thor continues to be great.

What a start to my comic week, only downhill from here

ElNarez

Banned
If you're not gonna be into a contemplation of Batman as a character while also getting a dope jail fight, I don't know what you're into Batman comics for, imo.

It's also the necessary counterpoint to #11, as far as putting into the text a lot of the questions that people had been asking after that issue, specifically
regarding that Catwoman would kill 237 people, or at least say she did.
It's layered character work done around a dope action setpiece, which is what people say they want from Tom King on Batman. But somehow it doesn't work for you guys, and for the life of me I can't figure that one out.

How can it be resonant when the thrust of Batman's message relies on information we don't have?
Much of this is reliant on whatever happened with Selina and we know almost nothing about that. It's still a swerve for her character that I dislike
, thus all of that rings hollow. The rest is tired meta analysis, how
silly the concept of Batman is
, which oh my god let's not have THAT conversation again, complete with on-the-nose imagery like
Batman in the water with a shark just as we are talking about how ha ha funny this all is, a shark that does not serve the story in any way and is not there for any reason but to drive home King's point
, so I guess it's safe to say I completely disagree with you there

dude
attempted suicide. dude considers becoming batman actual suicide.
period.

you're like superman leaping over that core point

If you're not gonna be into a contemplation of Batman as a character while also getting a dope jail fight, I don't know what you're into Batman comics for, imo.

It's also the necessary counterpoint to #11, as far as putting into the text a lot of the questions that people had been asking after that issue, specifically
regarding that Catwoman would kill 237 people, or at least say she did.
It's layered character work done around a dope action setpiece, which is what people say they want from Tom King on Batman. But somehow it doesn't work for you guys, and for the life of me I can't figure that one out.

that's the other thing

holy shit

we're just superman leaping over the best pages of sequential art since quitely drew the camping issue of New X-Men

i mean

ElNarez

Banned
The spread where you see more and more of Batman at the bottom of each panel, while an army of goons loses its shit, it's the simple stuff, it's a nice serving of beef.

I really couldn't disagree more with you guys, I'm sorry.

There is no sense of action in this art. There is a page that is just a
room full of dudes with Batman popping up through the crowd hitting this dude, hitting that dude, without convincingly portraying any event that would lead to Batman's victory over this veritable army, then the next page is just Batman standing completely victorious and totally unharmed in a room of knocked out dudes
. The art's primary function is to convey
Batman moving from place to place and here it is reasonably successful, but nothing here is connected to Batman's letter with any sort of subtlety

Of course I am into contemplation of the character but thinking of a novel way to say something that has been discussed to death doesn't make your idea clever or interesting. The notion that
Bruce Wayne doesn't exist/Bruce Wayne is the alter ego
is not new and this is effectively an angle on that same discussion

tim1138

I was nicer to Batgirl than most here... But I'm kinda glad I didn't pick this up now, so thanks Tim lol. I thought it was a solid comic but not something I was really fiending for more of.

I read today's Shade and it was amazing. If it weren't for Doom Patrol this would easily be my favorite YA title. That one two page spread in this issue was fantastic. This is such a good follow-up to Milligan's run.

Marley Zarcone is probably my new favorite artist. Her layouts and spreads are amazing. Shade is probably my favorite monthly book to be honest.

Motor Crush is honestly worth it for the opening logo spread alone.

It's a work of art.

That Tom Muller design

I tired reading Airman for some Starman-esque reinvention and got was a book about two comic book creators with giant dongs cheating on their wives.

The first issue was pretty good, but it went to hell really quickly

Has anyone checked out the new Midnighter & Apollo issue yet?

Yep, it was great as always. Orlando is mining that deep lore, I can't wait to see what he does with JLA.

Dusknoir

I loved this issue because of the because
the letter
but I will agree that it like nothing happen. People are safe to skip this but they will be missing out.
Unless your tired of Batman talking about his beliefs.

Top Bottom