• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

OM3RDwV.png

Hagi

As a Scot I have a hard time with reading say Moira in Uncanny X-Men but it's harder to get the flow of speech like that when it's written rather than spoken. Everybody speaks the same because it's more fluid to read but it does make it a but dull. Even if it comes off stilted in my head when I read it I love when characters have accents like Rogue and Gambit.

As a Scot I have a hard time with reading say Moira in Uncanny X-Men but it's harder to get the flow of speech like that when it's written rather than spoken. Everybody speaks the same because it's more fluid to read but it does make it a but dull. Even if it comes off stilted in my head when I read it I love when characters have accents like Rogue and Gambit.

May ye be in heaven a half hour a'fore the devil knows yer dead!

The only thing I didn't like about "White Bear" was how it left me confused about how I feel regarding the ending and twist. And yeah, "Man Against Fire" was too much on the nose and was just okay to me. But I thought "San Junipero" was almost excellent, save for the ending especially when
it seemed pretty clear the Kelly wasn't gonna change her mind
The fact that she did out of nowhere was just weird.
I just didn't like the story in "White Bear". The idea that
we have gone to such an extent to monetize other people's pain, even in the name of "justice"
is a good idea. I just wasn't feeling its execution.

I basically have the same problem with "San Junipero" as you do.
The idea of Kelly going in was ambiguous as to whether or not she was actually going to do it, but I also wanted Yorkie's side. We don't know the amount of time that's passed, and we assume Kelly and Yorkie are cool right off the bat? As if Yorkie didn't just insult her marriage and ask her to commit suicide? And as if Kelly didn't say it was all out of pity and there was nothing real there? Basically, that Yorkie was pathetic? Shit was heavy and I feel like the ending handwaved it with no consequence or weight at all.
Other than that it was great.

Hagi

May ye be in heaven a half hour a'fore the devil knows yer dead!

I just got to the arc where Banshee take some of the X-Men to his home in Ireland and his crazy cousin is there. I never really appreciated Banshee before starting the Claremont run but he's really fun. Him calling Logan a midget constantly cracks me the fuck up.

I just got to the arc where Banshee take some of the X-Men to his home in Ireland and his crazy cousin is there. I never really appreciated Banshee before starting the Claremont run but he's really fun. Him calling Logan a midget constantly cracks me the fuck up.
Best arc ever committed to the printed page

I do enjoy well written dialect actually. You just really have to know the dialect, run it by somebody who speaks it before you publish it

X-Men characters have perhaps the worst dialects in fiction. But in fairness, they developed in a very different era of comics.

tim1138

Sounds great! Haha. Nah I get that's not meant as a positive but I think I can read into that summary as if you like their other stuff, you're on good ground. I think their stuff has a lot of heart and fun. What did you/other folks who picked it up think of the Isola preview?

I don't even remember the Isola preview.

But yeah, if you dig their Batgirl stuff you'll like this, if you didn't, there's nothing here to convert you.

We really needed a canon "fun" X-Men book post-SW. I'm surprised a new Exiles or Excalibur wasn't announced among the new books.

There was Web Warriors, which was Exiles-but-they're-all-Spider-Man. It wasn't great. Guardians of Infinity was close as well.

I want the real thing back. Although I guess the original team no longer exists what with the multiverse collapsing and everything. But it would have been fun to have an Exiles book during Secret Wars with Blink, Morph, etc on Battleworld.

There was Web Warriors, which was Exiles-but-they're-all-Spider-Man. It wasn't great. Guardians of Infinity was close as well.

I want the real thing back. Although I guess the original team no longer exists what with the multiverse collapsing and everything. But it would have been fun to have an Exiles book during Secret Wars with Blink, Morph, etc on Battleworld.

Who do we want on the team? They can't be on any other teams or have their own solo book.

Who do we want on the team? They can't be on any other teams or have their own solo book.

Old Guard: Blink, Morph, Nocturne. I feel like they're the core of the Exiles team, well Mimic as well, but, y'know..... :( (that destroyed me when the book was coming out)
New Blood: Captain Britain (he's met the Exiles before), Hazmat, Smasher (Hickman version)

I find dialect writing extremely hackey in novels, might read better in short form stuff like comics.

I like how Stephen King will occasionally emphasis how a character has said a word a specific way to remind you of the character he's built in your head, accent and dialect etc, but otherwise he'll write it straight. Feels like a good compromise.

Sandfox

Lowe and Slott are doing a live chat about Clone Conspiracy with the comic press and it seems like a new book will be spinning out of it after a one-shot in March.

Messi

Curiously the rebirth omnibus that released today says Vol 1 on it. Whats all this about?

Also a Bendis Guardians Omnibus is kind of stupid right before he finishes his run...I suppose they will come back for a second Omnibus.

Love the cover though. Bendis always has the best artists.

Hagi

Jimenez 4 Jimenprez

It was a nice little story of accepting your place in the world and not letting the past hold you down. A feast for the eyes! This book has been firing on all cylinders from the get go, it shouldn't be but it's kind of ridiculous that I'm enjoying a Superman ongoing so much. Now we got some Frankenstein up in here.

Hah that Clayface is awesome.

Messi

Well, we have more Rebirth books on the way like Batwoman so probably those in Vol. 2.

I didn't realize she was getting a rebirth issue. I thought they were doing a two issue Detective arc co written by Bennett and Tynion leading into her book.

Ill try get a Harley page from that SGM Batman book but it will likely go in seconds and for a very expensive price.

Aquaman 12: This story is a mistake and this is a bad issue

Throne of Atlantis was less than five years ago in real world time, probably a lot less in comic book time, so the United States is preeetty much justified in disarming the Atlanteans for good. In Throne of Atlantis the King of Atlantis declared war, drowned thousands of people and caused countless billions in damage. In The Deluge the Atlanteans have lost control of so many weapons of war, including weapons capable of causing massive tidal waves and inflicting mass casualties, that a rogue element is able to perfectly simulate a large scale Atlantean attack. In this issue it is noted that an insanely powerful Atlantean warship was lost thirty five years ago with all hands, and now it is a part of this huge rogue fleet. What??? Pretty sure it is our policy to recover, say, the missiles aboard sunken nuclear submarines and such. I really want to know what happened to this ship that made it unrecoverable despite all of their tech?

Arthur looks like a terrible king here, too, insisting that his own people allow themselves to be murdered before firing upon the Americans who have literally declared war. And of course the Justice League show up at the end to make the Throne of Atlantis comparisons inescapable.

Also in this issue we meet a covert special ops unit called the Aquamarines and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a joke

Also in this issue Aquaman makes a casual racist joke to his fiancee and she looks at him like he just slapped her

Not the best.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Murloc Quest?

I got that a few days ago. I put together a Shaman (Morgul, naturally) Muloc deck with Send in the Finishers and Everyfin is Awesome and it's the most fun I've had with Hearthstone so far.

It only works if you get good draws, but I won three or four games in round 5.

About to hit chapter 9. Ben taking my sweet time. 25 hours in

I'm about 13 hours in, but I've been doing side quests for so long that I completely forgot that there were chapters.

As for comics I'm trying a thing where I put all the books I would normally buy into the shopping cart, and then putting all but two into my wishlist to be bought when they're on sale. Today's picks were Unworthy Thor and WicDiv. Hopefully this helps scratch my comic itch without spending all my money.

I didn't realize she was getting a rebirth issue. I thought they were doing a two issue Detective arc co written by Bennett and Tynion leading into her book.

Ill try get a Harley page from that SGM Batman book but it will likely go in seconds and for a very expensive price.

Will you try to get one of the JLA pages from the Killer Frost or Vixen issues or try to get a Epting page from Batwoman next year?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
HAHAHAHA These dudes on Slaent stole me and Freezas OT

It is a very pretty OT, but why did they straight up steal it?

It's even credited to you.

They also promise future stealing:

So, we have a comic book reading club, but no place to just talk comics. Let's talk comics.
Because I'm lazy and the info is the same, I'm going to lift GAF's OT every month.

Top Bottom