• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Batman #12.

You made a mistake. But so have I. We're the same, you and I. Cut from the same cloth. Molded from the detritus that is Gotham. Unable to rise above the foul mist that envelopes the city. Drowning. Gasping for air. Yet drowning all the same.

The wind was howling off the water the night my parents were killed. It chilled me to the bone. As if it was calling his name, summoning him. Joe Chill. I shudder when I recall that woeful night. From anger. But also from procedural memory. I am now suicide embodied.

Bane broke my back, Selina. But you broke my soul. We're cut from the same cloth, but we're different. I am Batman. I am Thomas and Martha's son. And I'm coming for you. I fight because I must. I must. And I'm going to break your damn back.

--------

Absolute trash. Zero stars. Do not pass go, do not collect my future $2.99.

Hopefully it's Good James Robinson rather than Bad James Robinson.

Still, I'm interested to see what he does, because Cable feels like a very un-Robinson like character. Probably the most intriguing creative team on the new X-books overall.
Ha, let's be real though, when was the last time we had good Robinson? I tried Invaders and found it very underwhelming. Sounds like Scarlet Witch is equally bland despite the killer artists it gets. Would be nice to see him do something good again, but I feel like this will be a pretty dull comic.
Marley Zarcone is probably my new favorite artist. Her layouts and spreads are amazing. Shade is probably my favorite monthly book to be honest.
The layouts in today's issue were so damn good. Zarcone is incredibly talented and she's the perfect artist for this book.

I'm between this and Doom Patrol for my favorite right now. I'm still excited over the last issue of that. Super happy with both of them.
What are the best solo (non-group/team) books currently going at Marvel?
Squirrel Girl

You know, I'm almost at Inferno and I admit I'd be pretty curious to see how Marvel Studios would handle adapting the X-Men into kid-friendly movies. I don't really care for worrying about how they'd integrate them, they can just pull an X-Men: Evolution (which I'm also currently watching) and have them hiding out for decades (even with Iron Man creeping on teenage kids like Peter Parker).

But man, essentially every single major X-Men story is absolutely not kid friendly at all lol. The Dark Phoenix Saga would be incomplete without planetary genocide, DOFP has genocide, the Brood Saga has the Broode, the Mutant Massacre has uh, a massacre, Fall of the Mutants is probably too out there for MCU adaptation, and Inferno about a bunch of demons escaping what is essentially hell. Crazy amounts of death in all of them. I'm probably forgetting a few of the big ones. It's definitely apparent Fox is okay with heavy violence and darker themes, so I'll give them that.

Meanwhile the MCU tells us that like 20 people died in both Avengers movies combined or whatever lol

Ha, let's be real though, when was the last time we had good Robinson? I tried Invaders and found it very underwhelming. Sounds like Scarlet Witch is equally bland despite the killer artists it gets. Would be nice to see him do something good again, but I feel like this will be a pretty dull comic.

I think his Marvel stuff has generally been decent. It's hardly peak Robinson, but it's also far from being bad on the level of his Justice League stuff.

Squadron Supreme is probably his best comic since Earth 2, if nothing else.

He's wildly inconsistent, but he's a far more intriguing writer than just about anyone else on the new X-books save for possibly Pak (and they stuck him with Land).

Cyborg #6:

tumblr_mktgtpoyve1rk91a4o1_500.gif

didn't really care too much for Reggie and Me #1 but i like the Ben Caldwell and Ron Frenz covers, 'cause he looks like such an asshole

it doesn't come off as much in the actual book, where he's just kind of a bland jerk

I actually really liked Motorcrush #1 and I only thought Batgirl was decent, maybe 'cause there's not much shoehorned ~social media commentary~ in Motorcrush, just bike gangs and combat racing

Nova #1 was also really good, bought it on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Fun teen cape book

VanWinkle

Just finished the Gotham City Sirens series. It was really good. Kind of odd, as the Dini portion was like this hi-jinxy comedic stuff that I was expecting out of the series, and then the Bedard and Calloway stuff from the last 2/3rds of it was really serious story arcs. I don't know which I preferred, but the series as a whole was pretty great.

Moon Knight, easy.

Ms. Marvel, for sure. Moon Knight is fantastic, too. Sam Cap and Black Panther are also pretty great.

The layouts in today's issue were so damn good. Zarcone is incredibly talented and she's the perfect artist for this book.

I'm between this and Doom Patrol for my favorite right now. I'm still excited over the last issue of that. Super happy with both of them.

Squirrel Girl

Earth 2 was great.

Off the top of my head I would the Captain America books. I'll probably make a list.

Thanks for the recs, guys.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone else pick up that Ody-C hardcover today?

wew

Also, Phonogram getting a complete hardcover release next year! Rue Britannia will be colored too.

ElNarez

Banned
Motor Crush is BIKE DRUGS DEATH RACE FIGHT ACTION from the people who made the defining comic of 2015. How much are you into that? There IS a wrong answer.

JTripper

Short reviews of the day:

Batman #12 - King wtf you talkin' about, bruh

Nightwing #10 - Yay Dick is in Bludhaven!

gimme more Ace The Bat-Hound stories

Messi

I read the first volume of Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning.

3162781714_1_2_yrkNBsKW.gif

Oh I get it.

The Guardians don't all talk like they are the same people. Rocket is much much better. Gamora too.

I bought the Bendis omni today also :/

http://cd.img.v4.skyrock.net/6989/67126989/pics/3162781714_1_2_yrkNBsKW.gif[/img

Oh I get it.

The Guardians don't all talk like they are the same people. Rocket is much much better. Gamora too.

[spoiler]I bought the Bendis omni today also :/[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I'm glad you now understand where we were coming from the discussions years ago

And Cosmo is the real star

Messi

Yea. He has no feel for the characters. Bendis struggles with team books but guardians is probably his weakest of the bunch. And as much as I enjoyed the movie that doesn't help.

I really loved his X-Men but can see what people didn't like. I'd sure as hell take it over what we have now.

I really loved his X-Men but can see what people didn't like. I'd sure as hell take it over what we have now.

I expected not to like Bendis on X-Men, but I actually really enjoyed his run for the most part. He started stronger than he finished, and All-New really started to sag as the O5 stuff went on, but he actually seemed to have some sort of an idea of what he was doing on X-Men, unlike his Guardians stuff (unreadable) or Iron Man (just plain boring).

I would say his xmen is probably his strongest team book. Not something I'd say great but it held my interest. But stuff he did with avengers was just so middling (except dark avengers was pretty good)

Oh wow, I didn't even know Robinson was on Earth 2. A lot of those New 52 books just kinda blend together in my head now lol

Oh I get it.

I bought the Bendis omni today also :/
It's really fun. Wes Craig actually does some art later on too, it's neat.

I will say that Bendis's Guardians has a great lineup of artists at least. Pichelli's Gamora is so pretty.

Messi

Oh wow, I didn't even know Robinson was on Earth 2. A lot of those New 52 books just kinda blend together in my head now lol

It's really fun. Wes Craig actually does some art later on too, it's neat.

I will say that Bendis's Guardians has a great lineup of artists at least. Pichelli's Gamora is so pretty.

Bendis has an all-star lineup of artists. It's fucking nuts. It's why I bought the omnibus. Pichelli, Schiti and Del Mundo Duke it out for best Gamora.

Del Mundo tho

Top Bottom