• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

MvC hype has me wanting to pick up some Marvel comics again. I saw the recommendations for solo books, any team books I should try out?

Is Ultimates (2015) still good?

Thank God we don't have to go through another Kaare Iron Fist book

Damn lol. I know a lot of you guys genuinely disliked his iron fist book and I understand why but I was looking forward to that, and I really will not be reading a book by Brisson, after sheltered. This will probably be a wise move though, judging by folks feelings about that last run. Oh well.

Still bullish about power man and iron fist since it seems like the kind of book that Will be invaded by crossovers and lose momentum. Real want a good iron fist for the show coming out too.

Zombine

Banned
I just want to point out that it's probably a really bad idea to air your dirty laundry against your employer on twitter without both sides of the story. It's proooooobably not going to work out well for your career.

Sorry I thought I was posting on BC for a second

Heh, but speaking of BC, seems they dug up the cover to the Starlin/Davis mini-series on Amazon:
61fawjsal-lgxp3i.jpg

Reminder:
When the Guardians are entrusted with an important but seemingly straight-forward delivery, nothing can go wrong, right? Right! Until everything starts going very wrong. Things might get a little more chaotic when the team meets the mysterious Mother Entropy: Who is she and what is her business with the Guardians?

COLLECTING: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: MOTHER ENTROPY 1-5

Yep, Hellcat looks cancelled and Marvel doesn't seem to have treated Leth well.

So much for their LGBTQ+ friendliness but I guess that's what you get when your boss is one of Trump's best friends.

From her reply to others, it doesn't look like she's talking about Hellcat (which isn't cancelled). Leth has written a few Adventure Time OGNs and has talked about the poor working conditions at Boom in the past. She probably just had a script or pitch kibosh there.

From her reply to others, it doesn't look like she's talking about Hellcat (which isn't cancelled). Leth has written a few Adventure Time OGNs and has talked about the poor working conditions at Boom in the past. She probably just had a script or pitch kibosh there.

That would be kinda weird since she's allowing her fans to assume this is Marvel/one of the big publishers

Sadly he just responded to someone on twitter:
tumblr_inline_ohvno5PeM41s4sb1z_540.png

So Iron Fist gets: Iron Fist, Iron Fists and Power Man and Iron Fist.

Eh, I am getting another Iron Fist title so it's fine

There is no way Iron Fist can juggle three books though, so we will see where these books are a few months after they hit.

I just want to point out that it's probably a really bad idea to air your dirty laundry against your employer on twitter without both sides of the story. It's proooooobably not going to work out well for your career.

She doesn't seem to give a fuck, nor could I blame her in this instance. Is Sana Amanat editing that book?

Eh, I am getting another Iron Fist title so it's fine

There is no way Iron Fist can juggle three books though, so we will see where these books are a few months after they hit.

Only this new book will apparently crossover with Elektra, Kingpin, Bullseye, Daredevil etc in the new Daredevil/Hell's Kitchen line so if any book is going to go it's Iron Fists.

Many writers and artists(for example Leth right before her own thread) started sharing a Bennett thread on twitter but I(like many others in this thread) are blocked so I logged out, copied it and logged in again. I think it's somewhat about Angela and the way her book was ignored the moment it was cancelled:
is it queerbaiting if the writer or artist or actor fought for it with all of their might, energy, persuasion, and charm,
and lost anyway
and all that survived the purge of the work was lingering glances and a sense of loss
if the creator or performer loses the battle to have a queer romance fully realized, should they go back in and scrape out all traces?
If it won't be allowed to work, should it all be removed?
What does one do about episodes/issues already in the world that foreshadowed something that now won't be allowed to happen?
Nothing can be done about those. You are already locked in for a public shaming in addition to your disappointment and failure.

She doesn't seem to give a fuck, nor could I blame her in this instance. Is Sana Amanat editing that book?

No, Wil Moss (the other great editor at Marvel who we can partially thank for Squirrel Girl, Vision, Black Panther, the Thor books, Howard the Duck and the upcoming America). Dude is legit fire. Moss and Amanat are the ones at Marvel pushing the good stuff.

I think Nova was a pretty good start but it's getting a little overhyped here. When your first issue is stolen by
Ego the Living Planet with a four page cameo
, things aren't quite coming together. They seem to have
Sam's character down just fine
, but the real question I had coming into this series is
how are they gonna handle/write Rich
, and I feel like we don't really know yet. Furthermore we have no idea whatsoever how
they will interact and work together
...which is a pretty important aspect of the book, so I can't praise it too highly given it didn't manage to get us there at all (and didn't really have a terrific reason to not do so). The issue also ends rather abruptly, in a weirdly unsatisfying way.

Motor Crush isn't my bag, baby. Dropped

Doctor Aphra was a spectacular start...as long as we ignore the backup story which was hilariously dumb.
You will never be a doctor, Aphra. Because I hate you and I'm a vindictive son of a bitch. Now, have I shown you my collection of highly illegal alien symbiotes? Follow me, I will show you exactly where they are because reasons

Spider-Man 2099 is always just barely good enough to stay on the pull list. Always. No more, no less.

Ah nice that iron fists book happening anyway. It's clear it's being g pushed to the side though. Maybe thats due to response, maybe a schedule issue, maybe Andrews has no intention of taking part in the other books.

The new SS solicit with Spurrier credited(also on #10):
SUICIDE SQUAD #9
Written by ROB WILLIAMS & SI SPURRIER
Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO
Variant covers by LEE BERMEJO
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
A “JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD” tie-in! Finally, discover the true history behind [REDACTED BY ORDER OF TASK FORCE X DIRECTOR AMANDA WALLER].
On sale JANUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

No, Wil Moss (the other great editor at Marvel who we can partially thank for Squirrel Girl, Vision, Black Panther, the Thor books, Howard the Duck and the upcoming America). Dude is legit fire. Moss and Amanat are the ones at Marvel pushing the good stuff.

Surprised to hear he might be pushing back on that kind of content.

That doesn't make any sense. Boom is like one of the most friendly pubs for LGBT creators. They're pretty open to any ideas.

mreddie

Sounds like Leth is addressing how the big two are gay friendly yet hesitant about making someone else gay or pushing a gay lead book.

Or could be how licensed IPs can't have gay characters because that hesitant look from older fans.

The biggest anime right now is about figure skating with what could be a gay lead and one KS book is about gay sports and got funded by 250% past the goal.

Angela got supremely fucked over and I fear America might suffer the same fate. People can keep pushing back but the big two think the same shit sells.

Messi

Sounds like Leth is addressing how the big two are gay friendly yet hesitant about making someone else gay or pushing a gay lead book.

Or could be how licensed IPs can't have gay characters because that hesitant look from older fans.

The biggest anime right now is about figure skating with what could be a gay lead and one KS book is about gay sports and got funded by 250% past the goal.

Angela got supremely fucked over and I fear America might suffer the same fate. People can keep pushing back but the big two think the same shit sells.

Angela got 3 series. The book didn't sell. They supported it the same as the rest of their titles and buyers didn't want it. That's the reality.

The only person using Angela right now is Bendis. Who is known for being crap at pulling in stuff from other titles. Hell even his own books. I out that at Bendis feet.

But for the record Angela's return in Guardians has been handled fairly well. It's not a book that leans into the kind of stuff Bennett was working with.

Yuri on Ice's popularity will fade by the time Spring or Summer hits, which is normal for new animes.

Two iron fist books lol like I see what marvel is doing but man is that not going to end well.

They're banking on the show. That white boy better pull through. Although it is sketchy that Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil got current ongoings while Jessica Jones got nothing but reprints of Alias.

ElNarez

Banned
They're banking on the show. That white boy better pull through. Although it is sketchy that Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Daredevil got current ongoings while Jessica Jones got nothing but reprints of Alias.

Uh

she's got an all-new ongoing, still by Bendis and Gaydos, and it's actually dope as heck

That doesn't make any sense. Boom is like one of the most friendly pubs for LGBT creators. They're pretty open to any ideas.

Adventure Time is owned by Cartoon Network, not Boom. Still, I hear what you're saying, but Marvel doesn't make sense to me either. They have been terrible in the recent past on LGBTQ representation (RE: Treatment of Bennet's Angela and the various stupid things Alonso has said), but it seems that's changing because of editors like Moss. He went and headhunted a gay latino novelist to write America. He seems like a dude that'd be fighting for Leth.

Anywho, sub-tweeting your bosses is stupid.

ElNarez

Banned
Yuri on Ice's popularity will fade by the time Spring or Summer hits, which is normal for new animes.

I don't think it's just anime-popular. Like, it resonates with way more people way more deeply than that? Like, even South Park referenced it, which, that speaks for just how big this is getting.

To bring it back to funnybooks, one of DC's biggest sellers is still a comedy book about a bisexual woman in a poly relationship, which everyone has fully embraced. Midnighter got a new miniseries on the back of strong trade sales. There is a demand for some fucking gay-as-all-hell books, and objecting to that is super dumb, imo.

TheFlow

Banned
If the pay off is good alias season 2 will be so worth it

CazTGG

Champions #3: This series continues to be weighed down by Ramos' wretched artwork, which is a shame because this third issue is an incredibly well-written, thoughtful commentary on the general population's heavy reliance on superheroes to solve all the world's problems as opposed to standing up on their own and how they can inspire individual to make a difference in society.

I don't think it's just anime-popular. Like, it resonates with way more people way more deeply than that? Like, even South Park referenced it, which, that speaks for just how big this is getting.

To bring it back to funnybooks, one of DC's biggest sellers is still a comedy book about a bisexual woman in a poly relationship, which everyone has fully embraced. Midnighter got a new miniseries on the back of strong trade sales. There is a demand for some fucking gay-as-all-hell books, and objecting to that is super dumb, imo.

I remember when Attack on Titan was big and everywhere but maybe that has to do with the new season taking long to make. Gauging anime popularity is weird to me cuz too many shows go through there ups and downs. And South Park knows their anime audience.

I do believe pubs are wondering exactly how far they want to take a gay relationship. Like, was it clear from the writer and the editor and the higher ups that this is the direction they wanted the character to go? And if not then something was lost in translation.

Superman #12 was great as usual, awesome antagonists and potential allies popping up here, but man it must suck to live in a world where literally
anyone you talk to could easily turn out to be an alien/demon/monster/cosmic entity in disguise

Top Bottom