• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

The New Bendis Five would be literally perfect as Exiles, since they've been exiled by editorial.
I want an X book with the Stepfords, Goldballs, Hijack, Triage, Tempus, and Benjamin Deeds lead by Emma Frost.

But I don't get what I want.
Cable creative team announced. James Robinson and Carlos Pacheco. Plot is Cable trying to fix time(can he go and kill the O5?) which is like the 5th time this "mission" has happened since AoU it feels like.
"Fixing the future" is never not going to be a go-to plot in a universe full of potential shit futures. AoU made it interesting by making it so time travel into the past ACTUALLY alters things.
Yeah he did. Rulk 2 sounds like a last minute change. But at least now it makes sense he has a mustache. Rulk 2 already the superior Rulk

Sunspot for Citizen V is a cool choice, I'm interested in seeing how that pans out
It makes sense given the current state of his powers.
James Robinson on Cable is a goddamn kiss of death. This book is as dead as All-New Invaders.
How was that book, by the way? Seemed like a dope concept.
If you're not gonna be into a contemplation of Batman as a character while also getting a dope jail fight, I don't know what you're into Batman comics for, imo..
Seems applicable to superhero books in general
Messi and I have just come now up with the title for the January OT

COMICS! January 2017 Bad Opinions: The Thread
COMICS! |OT| January 2017 Your opinion's fine unless it's not mine
Amazing. Shade is my favorite "cape comic" right now, if you can even call it that. I'm pulling all four books and I think they're all spectacular.
I would describe it more as a sci-fi thriller
Define cape comic

They're all set in the DCU. Mother Panic is definitely a cape comic. The line is a bit blurrier with the other three but Cave Carson can't stop name dropping Superman
Superheroes/supervillains. Shade doesn't really have that.
What are the best solo (non-group/team) books currently going at Marvel?
Old Man Logan
Moon Knight
Captain America: Sam Wilson
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel
You know, I'm almost at Inferno and I admit I'd be pretty curious to see how Marvel Studios would handle adapting the X-Men into kid-friendly movies. I don't really care for worrying about how they'd integrate them, they can just pull an X-Men: Evolution (which I'm also currently watching) and have them hiding out for decades (even with Iron Man creeping on teenage kids like Peter Parker).

But man, essentially every single major X-Men story is absolutely not kid friendly at all lol. The Dark Phoenix Saga would be incomplete without planetary genocide, DOFP has genocide, the Brood Saga has the Broode, the Mutant Massacre has uh, a massacre, Fall of the Mutants is probably too out there for MCU adaptation, and Inferno about a bunch of demons escaping what is essentially hell. Crazy amounts of death in all of them. I'm probably forgetting a few of the big ones. It's definitely apparent Fox is okay with heavy violence and darker themes, so I'll give them that.

Meanwhile the MCU tells us that like 20 people died in both Avengers movies combined or whatever lol

That was a trailer thing. The numbers were altered in the actual movie if I recall. Besides, you bring that up, yet *X-Men Apocalypse SPOILERS*
Magneto gets magically handwaved for murdering continents. I'd rather have collateral that the heroes were forced to take responsibility for, regardless of how minor, than a villain who murders whole cities and then at the end goes, "Well I fixed your house, so I'll be on my way. Cheerio." Like, come on.

And besides, you say they'd be too violent, but: First Avenger was still a war movie, and Civil War several instances of death and violence
like Tony's parents crashing and then getting CHOKED THE FUCK OUT AS WE WATCHED. Or multiple instances of gatherings of people getting bombed.
It's not graphic, but it doesn't mean it wasn't dark. Granted I know it's not as dark as some would like, but relative to a lot of brighter superhero films it certainly is. They could show those storylines, but they just wouldn't go AS hardcore. That's about it.

Guardians also showed a planet exploding while tons of people on said planet ran away. Like, we saw them incinerate. You act like having people getting killed in the background or in a massive explosion hasn't happened in the MCU movies.

Bane

I Am Suicide continues to be a screaching halt in King's run for me.
Batman is a form of suicide for Bruce? No shit, he's said many times through the years that someone will likely take him out and has had plans for someone to take over. And I just could not give one fuck less what's up with Catwoman. I really do hope King pulls off something great to end it, it's easily the worst main Batman book right now.

Hats off to CBR for spoiling Clone Conspiracy for me on their front page today. God, all comic sites fucking suck now, it's a shame.

Black Widow
Captain America Sam Wilson
Daredevil
Dr. Strange
Unbelievable Gwenpool
Mighty Thor
Moon Knight
Spider-Man
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Just started but looking pretty great:
Foolkiller
Infamous Iron DOOM
Invincible Iron Man
Jessica Jones
Unworthy Thor (mini)

All of Marvel's best stuff right now are solo books and the best of the best are Black Widow, Gwenpool and Moon Knight
Edit: if you're looking for more traditional books, though, you want Mighty Thor, Sam Wilson and the Iron Man books. Those other three I listed are not conventional super hero books

Superheroes/supervillains. Shade doesn't really have that.

Is Seven to Eternity a cape book then? Or Birthright?

I dunno I think it is hard to pin down a definition for a cape book. There are cape books with no powers or alter egos and non-cape books with both of those things, even costumes. It's further complicated by the fact that "cape book" doesn't really describe a book's contents at all...like Black Widow and Detective Comics are both cape books but they could hardly be more different

Edit: what about Gotham Central? Is that a cape book? They're just cops. Sometimes they do cop stuff, sometimes they fight super villains (though, usually with an approach more suitable to cops than, say, Batman).

That was a trailer thing. The numbers were altered in the actual movie if I recall. Besides, you bring that up, yet *X-Men Apocalypse SPOILERS*
Magneto gets magically handwaved for murdering continents. I'd rather have collateral that the heroes were forced to take responsibility for, regardless of how minor, than a villain who murders whole cities and then at the end goes, "Well I fixed your house, so I'll be on my way. Cheerio." Like, come on.

And besides, you say they'd be too violent, but: First Avenger was still a war movie, and Civil War several instances of death and violence
like Tony's parents crashing and then getting CHOKED THE FUCK OUT AS WE WATCHED. Or multiple instances of gatherings of people getting bombed.
It's not graphic, but it doesn't mean it wasn't dark. Granted I know it's not as dark as some would like, but relative to a lot of brighter superhero films it certainly is. They could show those storylines, but they just wouldn't go AS hardcore. That's about it.

Guardians also showed a planet exploding while tons of people on said planet ran away. Like, we saw them incinerate. You act like having people getting killed in the background or in a massive explosion hasn't happened in the MCU movies.

Yeah, I'm sure as hell not defending Apocalypse lol. I was entertained, but Fox would be in a much better position with their X-Men movies had that never existed, both financially and in terms of creating sequels that make sense within the timeline.

I was just reading some UXM and was realizing how fucked up X-Men stories really are. Far darker than anything in the MCU at least. "Killing mutants because they're mutants" is like a core X-Men story/theme (at least when written well, lol modern Marvel) and it's still deeply disturbing. It's like the least kid-friendly of all of Marvel's major franchises/series.

edit: unrelated but that Spider-Man trailer announcement thread went exactly how I thought it would. trailer thread(s) and the OT are going to be shitshows.

Man, James Harren Cover for an upcoming Clone Conspiracy issue, amazing:

Clone-Conspiracy-Omega-Cover.jpg

Love this guy.

Don't read Spider-man/haven't read CC, but
Ben Reilly haha. Reilly made up a lot of my spiderman reading as a kid, the bleach blonde daily grind era. Kind of an epic moment for him to be back. I wonder if he will outlast this event. Surely Spider-Carnage is not far behind.

Black Widow
Captain America Sam Wilson
Daredevil
Dr. Strange
Unbelievable Gwenpool
Mighty Thor
Moon Knight
Spider-Man
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Just started but looking pretty great:
Foolkiller
Infamous Iron DOOM
Invincible Iron Man
Jessica Jones
Unworthy Thor (mini)

All of Marvel's best stuff right now are solo books and the best of the best are Black Widow, Gwenpool and Moon Knight
Edit: if you're looking for more traditional books, though, you want Mighty Thor, Sam Wilson and the Iron Man books. Those other three I listed are not conventional super hero books

I cosign this entire list, though you need to add Steve Rogers Cap, because it and Sam are two halves of the same story. And add Ms. Marvel.

Man how I could I forget Mighty Thor when recommending Marvel solo books? I'm really missing the ball here. Infamous Iron man has been pretty cool, though it has only been two issues.
Is Seven to Eternity a cape book then? Or Birthright?

I dunno I think it is hard to pin down a definition for a cape book. There are cape books with no powers or alter egos and non-cape books with both of those things, even costumes. It's further complicated by the fact that "cape book" doesn't really describe a book's contents at all...like Black Widow and Detective Comics are both cape books but they could hardly be more different

Edit: what about Gotham Central? Is that a cape book? They're just cops. Sometimes they do cop stuff, sometimes they fight super villains (though, usually with an approach more suitable to cops than, say, Batman).
I would say if the protagonist(s) of the book is(are) an actual superhero/supervillain in a traditional sense (hence the "cape" part), and regularly does superhero things i.e. saving people/the world/the universe as we know it to be, then it's a cape book. I'm talking costume, persona, codename, all that jazz. Gotham Central is a cop book taking place in a superhero setting, but not necessarily a superhero book.

I wouldn't pin it down to just "superheroes" either, because some superheroes don't do that kind of thing. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for instance, is most definitely a superhero book, but not a cape book. Same with Angel, Hellboy, Death Vigil, so on and so forth.

It's effectively a subgenre. So while Shade does take place in a superhero world, and she does have powers, I wouldn't call it a cape book. In fact, I wouldn't put it in a superhero genre at all.

Is Tom King's Vision a cape book, though, is the real question.
Man, James Harren Cover for an upcoming Clone Conspiracy issue, amazing:

Love this guy.

Don't read Spider-man/haven't read CC, but
Ben Reilly haha. Reilly made up a lot of my spiderman reading as a kid, the bleach blonde daily grind era. Kind of an epic moment for him to be back. I wonder if he will outlast this event. Surely Spider-Carnage is not far behind.
Rhino on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man as a THREAT.

What year is it?

Yeah, I'm sure as hell not defending Apocalypse lol. I was entertained, but Fox would be in a much better position with their X-Men movies had that never existed, both financially and in terms of creating sequels that make sense within the timeline.

I was just reading some UXM and was realizing how fucked up X-Men stories really are. Far darker than anything in the MCU at least. "Killing mutants because they're mutants" is like a core X-Men story/theme (at least when written well, lol modern Marvel) and it's still deeply disturbing. It's like the least kid-friendly of all of Marvel's major franchises/series.

edit: unrelated but that Spider-Man trailer announcement thread went exactly how I thought it would. trailer thread(s) and the OT are going to be shitshows.
They are dark and messed up, but I think you're overestimating how much actually needs to be shown to get the points across and match tone. They aren't going to show demons eating people in the streets, but having demons running around and people screaming gets the point across well enough on its own.

Sandfox

Man how I could I forget Mighty Thor when recommending Marvel solo books? I'm really missing the ball here. Infamous Iron man has been pretty cool, though it has only been two issues.

I would say if the protagonist(s) of the book is(are) an actual superhero/supervillain in a traditional sense (hence the "cape" part), and regularly does superhero things i.e. saving people/the world/the universe as we know it to be, then it's a cape book. I'm talking costume, persona, codename, all that jazz. Gotham Central is a cop book taking place in a superhero setting, but not necessarily a superhero book.

I wouldn't pin it down to just "superheroes" either, because some superheroes don't do that kind of thing. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for instance, is most definitely a superhero book, but not a cape book. Same with Angel, Hellboy, Death Vigil, so on and so forth.

It's effectively a subgenre. So while Shade does take place in a superhero world, and she does have powers, I wouldn't call it a cape book. In fact, I wouldn't put it in a superhero genre at all.

Is Tom King's Vision a cape book, though, is the real question.

Rhino on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man as a THREAT.

What year is it?

Rhino has been a threat since The Gauntlet tbqh.

Every time a new issue of Shade comes out I read it and get bummed because I have to wait a whole month for the next issue of Shade to come out

Edit: I can't friggin believe I forgot Silver Surfer

Reading through X-Men Supernovas. Got to Hecatomb. I'm wondering how Bobby knew what the Shi'ar called Nova, since he wasn't present for all of her bullshif. I'm sure they have it on file, but since when does Bobby do extra credit on his own time?
Rhino has been a threat since The Gauntlet tbqh.
But when was he last on the cover like that? That cover invokes an old-school feel to me.
Hydra Cap is the best the character has been in years. That guy is a tactician and planner.
He's Hydra, yet he's still 100% Steve. It's amazing.

Hydra Cap is the best the character has been in years. That guy is a tactician and planner.

yeah, Old Man Cap was a fake ass wannabe Nick Fury, he couldn't pull off the crusty old bastard when you could feel he was still that boy scout underneath.

Hydra Cap though? oh boy, best villain in Marvel. You just love it when he interacts with Tony, Sam, or Bucky, knowing he's just playing them all like fiddles while they trust him 100%. It's going to pop the fuck off when Cap is exposed, it'll be like Jesus getting outed as a Satanist.

In other books every scene with him is compelling because he acts so much like normal Cap but you know there's that sinister manipulation underneath it all.

Sadist

Both Cap titles are good.

And I agree on Old Man Cap. Dude was terrible. While he and Tony were wrong during the time runs out thing, Cap's saltyness reached critical mass while talking to Reed and the others.

tim1138

I read the first volume of Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning.

3162781714_1_2_yrkNBsKW.gif

Oh I get it.

The Guardians don't all talk like they are the same people. Rocket is much much better. Gamora too.

I bought the Bendis omni today also :/

I figured you'd like it. Now you can see why Cosmo is the best! :D

PsychBat!

Banned
I read the first volume of Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning.

3162781714_1_2_yrkNBsKW.gif

Oh I get it.

The Guardians don't all talk like they are the same people. Rocket is much much better. Gamora too.

I bought the Bendis omni today also :/

huh... I didn't see this post.

Glad you like it though. :D

And I'm glad you're seeing where we're coming from now.

Hah, I know everyone loves it, but reading through the Annihilation saga a number of years ago, back when I purchased the OHCs, I always thought it was fine, but not very much more than that, very meat and potatoes style writing, not much flair to it or anything. Much better than what could be offered, for sure, but not exceptional either? Just my opinion of course. Do you guys love it purely because it does the characters justice oppose to utter shit, or do you think it would stand up even if Marvel put out consistent quality cosmic stuff? (loaded question, I know). Not sure if I got onto conquest, was that a big jump up?

Batman

I've read this issue twice and I just keep going back and forth on what I thought of it. On one hand I like what I read, but on the other hand it seems like there was no real reason for it to be a full comic issue. Getting bits of a letter while paging through near inconceivable action spreads just irritates me with how much it feels pointless and worthlessly drawn out.

I don't have any real issues with what is said in the issue, and it also kind of clears up a problem people had with past issues, but in a way it just feels like such a pointless issue. It just annoys the hell out of me because I like what I actually read of it but I just question why was it done this way.

Also, I still don't think we're seeing Batman. Calling it being Bronze Tiger on venom.

Shade the Changing Girl

Maybe the issue of Shade with the least amount of crazy? Still loving it and it seems like were learning more about the combination of the characters of Shade/Megan and learning River can for some reason see what others aren't.

Really loving all of Young Animal

Seven to Eternity 1

The character designs, the art, and just about everything of this world that we get in the first issue interests the hell out of me. I just feel like we didn't get a ton story wise in the first issue. I'm not complaining because it more than makes up for it in the art.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Fantastic finale for Agents of SHIELD

Hah, I know everyone loves it, but reading through the Annihilation saga a number of years ago, back when I purchased the OHCs, I always thought it was fine, but not very much more than that, very meat and potatoes style writing, not much flair to it or anything. Much better than what could be offered, for sure, but not exceptional either? Just my opinion of course. Do you guys love it purely because it does the characters justice oppose to utter shit, or do you think it would stand up even if Marvel put out consistent quality cosmic stuff? (loaded question, I know). Not sure if I got onto conquest, was that a big jump up?

That's some of it.

Also, I wouldn't like it as much if cosmic marvel was usually great

Conquest has started off well, I've just finished reading the Quasar tie in

Not sure if you're just referring to the events only or DnA's GotG specifically.

Neither, I'm asking about all of that era of cosmic marvel, I don't think I've read the GOTG run, I was just thinking about it because of the GOTG talk. I've read everything that kicked off and was included in the initial *annihilation* wave, looks like GOTG kicked off out of conquest? There's a reading order graphic I'm referring too that bands all of the cosmic books into categories, Annihilation, conquest, WoK etc

Fantastic finale for Agents of SHIELD

That's some of it.

Also, I wouldn't like it as much if cosmic marvel was usually great

Conquest has started off well, I've just finished reading the Quasar tie in

Youre working your way through conquest right now? I'll keep an eye on your feedback then as you go man. I'm just interested if I can take Annihilation as a fair indicator of the rest.

Lashley

Neither, I'm asking about all of that era of cosmic marvel, I don't think I've read the GOTG run. I've read everything that kicked off and was included in the initial *annihilation* wave, looks like GOTG kicked off out of conquest? There's a reading order graphic I'm referring too that bands all of the cosmic books into categories, Annihilation, conquest, WoK etc

Youre working your way through conquest right now? I'll keep an eye on your feedback then as you go man. I'm just interested if I can take Annihilation as a fair indicator of the rest.

Yeah, I've got that, war of kings etc

excited to read through them

Yeah, I've got that, war of kings etc

excited to read through them

Awesome! Don't get me wrong, I'm not Trash talking them, as mentioned, it could be much worse. I just personally never followed up after the Annihilation era books and everyone seems well read on these so was interested if it out better as it went and so on.

Trying to read volume 6 of Snyder's batman run. (Not really a big fan of the first five volumes either but wanted to complete the run). Feels like a bit of a mess to be honest. Very directionless. Batman and Robin handled the same stretch so much better. The art is also very up and down. Hopefully volume 7 is better.

Also, finally picked up the greatest Lego minifig ever created.

Squirrel Girl

I might be out with the next issue of Champions. I liked it initially but it's been really preachy with the social justice issues lately. To the point where I'm cringing from this dialogue.

TheFlow

Banned
seven to eternity is not a cape book.

Also if you don't have black panther on a list that list is invalid in the eyes of wakanda. Not many team books can beat out a solo title now a days. Doom patrol is one clear example.

I think I already dropped champions because I forgot to buy this issue.

As someone as else said "the book is more interesting than actually good" also guys hory shit at nova. I hope this creative team last the whole run

I know you guys are going to be happy when they finally give plastic man an ongoing title. Also that kamandi omnibus sounds amazing. Too bad I don't collect like that anymore. Will buy digital

Lashley

Awesome! Don't get me wrong, I'm not Trash talking them, as mentioned, it could be much worse. I just personally never followed up after the Annihilation era books and everyone seems well read on these so was interested if it out better as it went and so on.

I thought the prologue of Annihilation:Conquest legit felt like the start of a sequel movie. Where you're catching up with the characters, and then shit gets real.

I might be out with the next issue of Champions. I liked it initially but it's been really preachy with the social justice issues lately. To the point where I'm cringing from this dialogue.

Same here, it's losing me.

But also, Cyclops. So I'm torn.

I thought the prologue of Annihilation:Conquest legit felt like the start of a sequel movie. Where you're catching up with the characters, and then shit gets real.

Same here, it's losing me.

But also, Cyclops. So I'm torn.
Drop it and pick up that new X-Men book with him in it before dropping that one like 3 issues in most likely. :p

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Annihilation was a little bit better than Conquest IMO. I still think both were pretty good in their own right though and I had no real attachment to any of these characters going in.

Hagi

That Han Solo mini was fucking spectacular. Just finished it.

Wow.

That's great to hear! If I wasn't collecting all the Star Wars trades I'd have been on it already. Only a few weeks to wait though till it hits stores, I'm loving how fast Marvel has been at pumping the tpb for these.

The more I think about Batman the more it annoys me.

The last issue Batman was above Bane in a vent, what did he do hang out in the vent and wait until Bane left and went all the way across the castle and then wait until they did whatever with the rest of the crew? Then he finally decided he would start his trek to Bane?

This issue bothers me.

Hagi

Shame they never kept Afu Chan. I like Danny but to be honest I've no real interest in reading a solo about him right now. Power Man and Iron First is dope as hell and that is enough for me.

Top Bottom