• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Hagi

Huh this Carnage solo book is weird as hell but I kinda like it. I just read issue 3 and well the
Man-Wolf stuff really came out of left field.
I had to google it because I thought it was something they made up for this but little did I know Conway came up with the idea in the 70's.

themoreyouknow.gif

I do believe pubs are wondering exactly how far they want to take a gay relationship. Like, was it clear from the writer and the editor and the higher ups that this is the direction they wanted the character to go? And if not then something was lost in translation.

I do think this is the case. All the pubs seem cool with LGBTQ characters at the moment, but gay relationships are another thing entirely. Consider the case of Northstar, whose marriage was a Big Gay Event for Marvel, they made such a huge deal about it, but as soon as they married him off he practically vanished and remains MIA. And of course there is the notorious story of Batwoman. Even Billy and Teddy only came back for a year before one of them was shunted to the sidelines. America has been in a relationship with the same woman for awhile now but you couldn't fill a comic with the number of panels this girlfriend has been seen in. And so on. Relationships are the problem now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Urgh. Justice League is so bad now.

A kid makes a new google and it becomes evil and fights the Justice League? Oh, fuck off.

A kid makes a new google and it becomes evil and fights the Justice League? Oh, fuck off.

Ooo is there a bunch of bullshit computer jargon and a fundamental misunderstanding of how software works? Because I live for that stuff

ENHANCE

Sandfox

I think Nova was a pretty good start but it's getting a little overhyped here. When your first issue is stolen by
Ego the Living Planet with a four page cameo
, things aren't quite coming together. They seem to have
Sam's character down just fine
, but the real question I had coming into this series is
how are they gonna handle/write Rich
, and I feel like we don't really know yet. Furthermore we have no idea whatsoever how
they will interact and work together
...which is a pretty important aspect of the book, so I can't praise it too highly given it didn't manage to get us there at all (and didn't really have a terrific reason to not do so). The issue also ends rather abruptly, in a weirdly unsatisfying way.

Motor Crush isn't my bag, baby. Dropped

Doctor Aphra was a spectacular start...as long as we ignore the backup story which was hilariously dumb.
You will never be a doctor, Aphra. Because I hate you and I'm a vindictive son of a bitch. Now, have I shown you my collection of highly illegal alien symbiotes? Follow me, I will show you exactly where they are because reasons

Spider-Man 2099 is always just barely good enough to stay on the pull list. Always. No more, no less.
I actually thought Sam stole the first issue of Nova.
No, Wil Moss (the other great editor at Marvel who we can partially thank for Squirrel Girl, Vision, Black Panther, the Thor books, Howard the Duck and the upcoming America). Dude is legit fire. Moss and Amanat are the ones at Marvel pushing the good stuff.
And Captain Marvel.
Champions #3: This series continues to be weighed down by Ramos' wretched artwork, which is a shame because this third issue is an incredibly well-written, thoughtful commentary on the general population's heavy reliance on superheroes to solve all the world's problems as opposed to standing up on their own and how they can inspire individual to make a difference in society.

I actually liked Ramos' art in this issue lol.

I do think this is the case. All the pubs seem cool with LGBTQ characters at the moment, but gay relationships are another thing entirely. Consider the case of Northstar, whose marriage was a Big Gay Event for Marvel, they made such a huge deal about it, but as soon as they married him off he practically vanished and remains MIA. And of course there is the notorious story of Batwoman. Even Billy and Teddy only came back for a year before one of them was shunted to the sidelines. America has been in a relationship with the same woman for awhile now but you couldn't fill a comic with the number of panels this girlfriend has been seen in. And so on. Relationships are the problem now.

I think it's the fact that they are in relationships that's causing the divide. We already know that pubs don't exactly want to publish books where half the story is the hero dealing with their relationship. It's filler to them that could be used for more action and more events. It's why Marvel and DC don't do romance comics. I bet they are constantly questoning, for every gay or bi character do they need to be in a relationship? Does this need to be the forefront of the comic? Do I want to advertise this as the main focus? Can't he/she just have a 12 issue story arc about some baddie?

Lashley

Ooo is there a bunch of bullshit computer jargon and a fundamental misunderstanding of how software works? Because I live for that stuff

ENHANCE

no but shes a master programmer because she watched her dad do programming as a kid

Bryan Hitch.

I actually thought Sam stole the first issue of Nova.

That's not possible since he was granted the majority of pages in the book, by quite a lot. It was his to lose...he did fine, sure, if those pages had been bad the book would have been an unqualified disaster.

That
dream/fantasy sequence
was the low point of the book, and it went on for two pages! What a waste of space.

ElNarez

Banned
my serious question about JL: I know Bryan Hitch isn't doing pencils because that book is still coming out on time, but: does he do breakdowns? because, I'd get why a comic laid out by Hitch would be as big as JL is.

Lashley

WUqBVRv.jpg

High praise

MvC hype has me wanting to pick up some Marvel comics again. I saw the recommendations for solo books, any team books I should try out?

Is Ultimates (2015) still good?
It's a super good book, and goes right into Ultimates2, which is currently ongoing. I'd also recommend Squadron Supreme.

my serious question about JL: I know Bryan Hitch isn't doing pencils because that book is still coming out on time, but: does he do breakdowns? because, I'd get why a comic laid out by Hitch would be as big as JL is.

I was talking about this with a friend, he can only write what he's good at drawing/wants to draw. Notice how every enemy somehow involves swarms?

It's a super good book, and goes right into Ultimates2, which is currently ongoing. I'd also recommend Squadron Supreme.

Missed that post. I agree with BK on Ultimates, though I'd go one step farther and say Ultimates/Ultimates2 is the only current team book at Marvel worth recommending. I do have high hopes for Occupy Avengers, solid first issue

Edit: fucking christ I forgot Uncanny Avengers which is at least as good as Ultimates. That is an awesome book

i dunno JLA is still going and he's not drawing that is he?

That book was a mess, he was drawing and writing. It got cancelled, then it came back and got delayed, then for I think the last two issues the creative team got replaced to take it to cancellation. The last issue came out just last week.

ENHANCE
I used to work at an online print shop and there were times when the images they wanted printed would be pretty bad quality so we would ask them to replace the images. The number of people who asked why couldn't just enhance the images until they were good enough would shock you (just a little bit probably)

I used to work at an online print shop and there were times when the images they wanted printed would be pretty bad quality so we would ask them to replace the images. The number of people who asked why couldn't just enhance the images until they were good enough would shock you (just a little bit probably)

Tell them to learn their CMYK and RGBs and that not all colors and images that appear correctly on a computer monitor will match on the printed version. TELL EM'.

Missed that post. I agree with BK on Ultimates, though I'd go one step farther and say Ultimates/Ultimates2 is the only current team book at Marvel worth recommending. I do have high hopes for Occupy Avengers, solid first issue

I think Squadron Supreme is dope as fuck right now. Every time I pick it up, I enjoy it thoroughly. The problem with recommending team books right now is that there aren't many going, and the ones that are either just started up (which makes them tough to recommend on that alone) or are just plain average. Like, I really enjoy Uncanny Inhumans and Extraordinary X-Men, but I can't bring myself to recommend those.

I think Squadron Supreme is dope as fuck right now. Every time I pick it up, I enjoy it thoroughly. The problem with recommending team books right now is that there aren't many going, and the ones that are either just started up (which makes them tough to recommend on that alone) or are just plain average. Like, I really enjoy Uncanny Inhumans and Extraordinary X-Men, but I can't bring myself to recommend those.

Uncanny Avengers is my favorite Marvel team book rn

I realized before you quoted me that I forgot Uncanny Avengers which is a MASSIVE OVERSIGHT on my part, that is probably Marvel's best team book right now and a much better rec for a casual reader than Ultimates.

Anyway...yeah I'm still pulling all three X-teams, Avengers, Uncanny Inhumans and Guardians...I wouldn't be pulling them if I was getting no enjoyment out of them but I don't think any of them are good enough to recommend to someone who is trying to hop back in.

You keep tempting me to jump back into Squadron Supreme. I was iffy on dropping it in the first place.

Edit: in fairness I don't think DC is doing a whole lot better with their team books right now, perhaps worse

Hagi

Is Uncanny Avengers reall that good? I wasn't really feeling the first arc then the Pymtron stuff made me tilt my head like I was in a Shaft anime.

mreddie

blastr (Syfy) comic rankings.

10. James Tynion IV
9. Scott Snyder
8. Kieron Gillen
7. Robert Venditti
6. Rick Remender
5. Jason Aaron
4. Nick Spencer
3. Brian K Vaughan
2. Tom King
1. Jeff Lemire

I'm just giving you shit. Put it back up.
MESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSI!

Is Uncanny Avengers reall that good? I wasn't really feeling the first arc then the Pymtron stuff made me tilt my head like I was in a Shaft anime.

Did you read the Pymtron arc or just tilt your head at it? Because I thought that was a great fucking story. If you read that and didn't like it, you can probably safely ignore it, though I am loving the current story arc as well, with
the team in shambles post-CWII and fighting zombie Hand-Hulk. Zombie Hand-Hulk is fucking rad

Hagi

Is the Marvel Unlimited app as shitty on IOS as it is on Android? starting to get a little pissed off with this piece of crap.

Sandfox

That's not possible since he was granted the majority of pages in the book, by quite a lot. It was his to lose...he did fine, sure, if those pages had been bad the book would have been an unqualified disaster.

That
dream/fantasy sequence
was the low point of the book, and it went on for two pages! What a waste of space.

Those pages made me smile because of the art, but I understand other people not liking it for the reasons you stated.

Ego didn't stand out to me as much as he did for you. The effect these two writers have had on Sam and how the two Novas contrasted are what stood out to me.

Everything from the Ultron stuff and on is good.

Hagi

Did you read the Pymtron arc or just tilt your head at it? Because I thought that was a great fucking story. If you read that and didn't like it, you can probably safely ignore it, though I am loving the current story arc as well, with
the team in shambles post-CWII and fighting zombie Hand-Hulk. Zombie Hand-Hulk is fucking rad

Everything from the Ultron stuff and on is good.

I jumped back in for that and didn't really like where it ended up but I went in with a negative view of how Pym was treated in Rage of Ultron so that likely coloured my perceptions. I should give it a re-read and see if I think different.

Ross61

It's Bryan Hitch writing. You get what you pay for when you see that name as writer and not artist.

Si Spurrier being on Suicide Squad gives me a gang of questions and ideas. On an outer level it seems like their putting extra care into this event going by then adding Si Spurrier to SS and kicking off Hitch for Seeley for the JL tie-ins. On an inner level, I wonder if this might be preparing for Spurrier to get his own title. Will he be co-writer on SS going forward? I personally have been enjoying it and think it's been doing okay even with the title being cut short. I have enjoyed the backups immensely but I definitely would prefer a full issue with a different artist. Also means DC has been playing close attention to what's being said as they changed She-Borg to Variant in Cyborg, amongst other things. Really curious of what's happening behind the scenes.

ElNarez

Banned
It's Bryan Hitch writing. You get what you pay for when you see that name as writer and not artist.

Si Spurrier being on Suicide Squad gives me a gang of questions and ideas. On an outer level it seems like their putting extra care into this event going by then adding Si Spurrier to SS and kicking off Hitch for Seeley for the JL tie-ins. On an inner level, I wonder if this might be preparing for Spurrier to get his own title. Will he be co-writer on SS going forward? I personally have been enjoying it and think it's been doing okay even with the title being cut short. I have enjoyed the backups immensely but I definitely would prefer a full issue with a different artist. Also means DC has been playing close attention to what's being said as they changed She-Borg to Variant in Cyborg, amongst other things. Really curious of what's happening behind the scenes.
I'm not putting too much on it until there's a formal announcement for something more than 2 issues. Remember when best-selling author and Comic-GAF favorite Ales Kot was the writer of Suicide Squad? For all of 4 issues? Yeah.

Yeah.

Ross61

I'm not putting too much on it until there's a formal announcement for something more than 2 issues. Remember when best-selling author and Comic-GAF favorite Ales Kot was the writer of Suicide Squad? For all of 4 issues? Yeah.

Yeah.

Yeah, but that's Kot. It's well documented his attitude towards the big two. I don't know about Si Spurrier, only he's worked on some great series as of recent. I don't see the point in adding to an already capable writer in Williams, especially for two tie-in issues. And I think this would be his first DC work. Just seems like a waste, especially with their plans of expanding the line in the future.

Logan would have sex with his own mom if he went back in time and she was hitting on him.

Friendly reminder that in the Ultimate universe Logan had sex with Magneto's wife about a year before the twins were born and when he joined Magneto years later he thought about having sex with Wanda while thinking she might be his before figuring out that she and Pietro were an item. The fact they later revealed he slept with Magda again later and she gave birth to his son just makes it more messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if Laura runs into one of his children before her book is cancelled going by how much he likes sex and redheads.

Friendly reminder that in the Ultimate universe Logan had sex with Magneto's wife about a year before the twins were born and when he joined Magneto years later he thought about having sex with Wanda while thinking she might be his before figuring out that she and Pietro were an item. The fact they later revealed he slept with Magda again later and she gave birth to his son just makes it more messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if Laura runs into one of his children before her book is cancelled going by how much he likes sex and redheads.

I read that Wolverine mini starring his son. It's weird. I forgot why she wanted to get pregnant again.

Huh this Carnage solo book is weird as hell but I kinda like it. I just read issue 3 and well the
Man-Wolf stuff really came out of left field.
I had to google it because I thought it was something they made up for this but little did I know Conway came up with the idea in the 70's.

themoreyouknow.gif

Haha this sounds kind of fun? I'm not really familiar with Conway's writing though.

Super interested in this. Hope it doesn't spoil monsters unleashed though.

Top Bottom