• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

oni_saru

Oh shit! Glad i checked here. Almost forgot about the Love is Love comic! Definitely buying that one!!

Tempted to get that DC holiday special!

1upsuper

Yo, I came to you guys a few months ago for comic recommendations for a noob like me and I enjoyed what you guys had me check out so now I'm back. I'm interested in trying Spider-Man, but I've never read any of his comics before. My experience with Spidey is limited entirely to the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield films. What would you guys recommend as a good starting place?

Thanks a bunch!

Yo, I came to you guys a few months ago for comic recommendations for a noob like me and I enjoyed what you guys had me check out so now I'm back. I'm interested in trying Spider-Man, but I've never read any of his comics before. My experience with Spidey is limited entirely to the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield films. What would you guys recommend as a good starting place?

Thanks a bunch!
Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine

Thanks a bunch!

Peter Parker

In my opinion the original run is the best comic of the 1960s, bar none. If you don't mind old comics you really can't go wrong there, and it will give you a solid grasp of the character.

The JMS volume is pretty good but it goes to some weird fucking places and ends horribly with One More Day, the worst Spider-Man story ever. EVER, you guys. No arguments. Anyway Dan Slott does reference some of this crazy stuff in his own run.

Then there are the two big mega-runs: BMB's Ultimate Spider-Man and Dan Slott's Amazing/Superior Spider-Man. BMB's USM is the better book but it's all alternate universe and all of those characters are gone (with a few notable exceptions). OTOH it has the benefit of being a complete run. OTOOH some of it would feel redundant if you go straight from the original run to this, so don't do that.

Dan Slott's book is fun but there are a few rough spots and sometimes he lets characters act weird or dumb for an unearned moment. There are some really cool Spider-events sprinkled throughout like Spider Island and Spider-Verse. So far Clone Conspiracy is looking like another good one. I would at least check out Spider-Man & Human Torch which is widely considered his best Spider-Man story and if you like that check out his ASM work. A few good potential starting points would be the beginning of Big Time, ASM 700/Superor 1, or the beginning of ASM right after Superior ended. You could even go back to the beginning of Brand New Day, but that is a ton of comics, not all of it Slott and not all of it good.

Other Spiders

Miles Morales is the star of the current series Spider-Man. He and his supporting cast make up most of the refugees from the Ultimate Universe. You can't go wrong with this dude. You could start with his Ultimate book or just the current volume and you'll be fine.

There are two great volumes of Venom available, the Rick Remender run - and you should stop reading when he leaves the book - and the recently-concluded Venom Space Knight. Very different approaches to the character. I have read the first issue of the new volume as well but I can't recommend it yet.

Renew Your Vows is only one issue in but so far it's a FABULOUS take on the question: what if One More Day had never happened. You can read the Secret Wars tie-in to get some background on those alternate world, you don't need to read Secret Wars for it, though the way things turned out there were largely retconned for this book, so you can probably just grab the first issue of the new volume if you're interested.

Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine

Oh yeah this too

diaspora

IMO the best Spider books are post-OMD. Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth, The Gauntlet, Origin of the Species, Grim Hunt are all amazing. I'd also take a crack at Superior Spider-Man, and Spider-Verse.

IMO the best Spider books are post-OMD. Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth, The Gauntlet, Origin of the Species, Grim Hunt are all amazing.

Yeah the problem with starting at Big Time is you miss a couple of really good stories like The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt. Those are worth checking out at least but I would still skip most of it

Sandfox

Thanks a bunch!

Spider-Man: Big Time

It's basically a story about where things finally start to go well for Peter in life and it leads into the where the character is even now.

Marvel even made a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HihtJjZbE

I would also, recommend The Gauntlet as well, which about reintroducing the classic villains in succession.

Peter Parker

In my opinion the original run is the best comic of the 1960s, bar none. If you don't mind old comics you really can't go wrong there, and it will give you a solid grasp of the character.

The JMS volume is pretty good but it goes to some weird fucking places and ends horribly with One More Day, the worst Spider-Man story ever. EVER, you guys. No arguments. Anyway Dan Slott does reference some of this crazy stuff in his own run.

Then there are the two big mega-runs: BMB's Ultimate Spider-Man and Dan Slott's Amazing/Superior Spider-Man. BMB's USM is the better book but it's all alternate universe and all of those characters are gone (with a few of notable exceptions). OTOH it has the benefit of being a complete run. OTOOH some of it would feel redundant if you go straight from the original run to this, so don't do that.

Dan Slott's book is fun but there are a few rough spots and sometimes he lets characters act weird or dumb for an unearned moment. There are some really cool Spider-events sprinkled throughout like Spider Island and Spider-Verse. So far Clone Conspiracy is looking like another good one. I would at least check out Spider-Man & Human Torch which is widely considered his best Spider-Man story and if you like that check out his ASM work. A few good potential starting points would be the beginning of Big Time, ASM 700/Superor 1, or the beginning of ASM right after Superior ended. You could even go back to the beginning of Big Time, but that is a ton of comics, not all of it Slott and not all of it good.

Other Spiders

Miles Morales is the star of the current series Spider-Man. He and his supporting cast make up most of the refugees from the Ultimate Universe. You can't go wrong with this dude. You could start with his Ultimate book or just the current volume and you'll be fine.

There are two great volumes of Venom available, the Rick Remender run - and you should stop reading when he leaves the book - and the recently-concluded Venom Space Knight. Very different approaches to the character. I have read the first issue of the new volume as well but I can't recommend it yet.

Renew Your Vows is only one issue in but so far it's a FABULOUS take on the question: what if One More Day had never happened. You can read the Secret Wars tie-in to get some background on those alternate world, you don't need to read Secret Wars for it, though the way things turned out there were largely retconned for this book, so you can probably just grab the first issue of the new volume if you're interested.

Oh yeah this too
Sin's Past is worse than OMD, but that was written by JMS as well so your point still stands lol

diaspora

Yeah the problem with starting at Big Time is you miss a couple of really good stories like The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt. Those are worth checking out at least but I would still skip most of it

The "nobody dies" stuff was stupid, but even Slott recognizes that I think. He had Bobbi roasting him for it.

Spider-Man: Big Time

It's basically a story about where things finally start to go well for Peter in life and it leads into the where the character is even now.

Marvel even made a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HihtJjZbE

I would also, recommend The Gauntlet as well, which about reintroducing the classic villains in succession.

Sin's Past is worse than OMD, but that was written by JMS as well so your point still stands lol

IMO what was important about Big Time was more than things going well- it was about progress. His life still had shit go side-ways but in new ways now.

Legit forgot Sins Past was a thing

Forget I even mentioned that run

The "nobody dies" stuff was stupid, but even Slott recognizes that I think. He had Bobbi roasting him for it.

It's also come up in Clone Conspiracy in an interesting way. I think he has done a good job exploring the idea critically

Sandfox

IMO what was important about Big Time was more than things going well- it was about progress. His life still had shit go side-ways but in new ways now.

Yeah, that's why I love Big Time.

There are points where the "nobody dies" stuff got a bit annoying, but it came from one of the best issues Dan Slott has written during his run in addition to what echoshifting mentioned, so I can forgive it.

diaspora

Yeah, that's why I love Big Time.

There are points where the "nobody dies" stuff got a bit annoying, but it came from one of the best issues Dan Slott has written during his run in addition to what echoshifting mentioned, so I can forgive it.

aJqBqwR.jpg

Midnighter and Apollo #3
This book keeps on hitting. A great look into Apollo and what he believes. Why he does what he does, and it gives an interesting look into heroes who name themselves after other beings. Also the layouts in this issue in particular really caught my eye, although the whole series has been really great in that regard. Plus the visceral action...

Goddamn this book too strong

REVOLUTION #5
What a finale! Going out with a bang! And yet it still does a good job of laying groundwork for the future of the Hasbroverse. Can't wait for Revolutionaries

Also Rom still the best

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #9
Fucking dope issue as always. Obviously
that White Tiger Dragon hybrid Ranger is an alternate timeline Earth where the Green Ranger succeeded in beating Zordon and his Rangers and taking Earth. The question is who or what that Ranger is. The White Tiger powers, while they technically haven't been introduced yet, are supposed to come from pure light. How'd they merge with Dragon powers? Even better, how'd they come into existence UNLESS Zordon tried to make them as a last ditch effort OR he was working on them in ghe background the whole time? My bet is on him being Tommy, though.

Glitterbomb #4
Hoooooly shit. Who else is reading this? Because while it confirmed my suspicions about what happened to Farrah on Space Farers that forced her to leave, I was not expecting ANY of the rest of the issue.

My mind is blown. I have no idea where this book is going. Not like I did before, but I definitely don't now.

Interesting that I've always been pro-marriage for Peter yet almost all of the books I recommend to people are not from that era

Hmmmm!

Honestly, both of the major marriages - Lois/Clark and Peter/MJ - I haven't missed at all. I enjoy Peter screwing up at love and Lois/Clark I still don't really care for, but Clark-Jon dynamic is so good.

Cyclops and Jean? Emma was better.

Reed and Sue is probably the biggest marriage that feels inviolate and that's because the FF works well as a nuclear family plus their two kooky uncles.

Otherwise, let the characters play the field.

How would you guys feel if at the end of Clone Conspiracy
Kaine died and Ben took the mantle back?

The problem here is that
Kaine works as "Spider-Man But Angry"
Ben worked previously as "Spider-Man But Single", but we have that now, so there's no reason for Ben. Even now, we don't need Kaine because of Spider-Man 2099. Miguel is totally the current "Spider-Man But Angry".

Sandfox

The problem here is that
Ben worked previously as "Spider-Man But Single", but we have that now, so there's no reason for Ben. Even now, we don't need Kaine because of Spider-Man 2099. Miguel is totally the current "Spider-Man But Angry".
I'm kinda expecting the marriage to come back in 2017.

PsychBat!

Banned
The problem here is that

Well
, at least angrier than Peter.

diaspora

Good lord, I hope not- it was awful.

The problem here is that

Miguel is... capable though. He's far ahead of the curve compared to everyone in 2016 thanks to being almost a century ahead technologically. Kaine is literally a few years old and has no idea what he's doing normally.

MartyStu

Me too.
Single Peter has not been the promised land of unique stories that editorial hoped for. Most of the most important Spider-Man stories since that would have been workable with Peter married and with a daughter.

Superior Spider-Man is perhaps the only exception, and I think even that could have been workable.

diaspora

Me too.
Single Peter has not been the promised land of unique stories that editorial hoped for. Most of the most important Spider-Man stories since that would have been workable with Peter married and with a daughter.

Superior Spider-Man is perhaps the only exception, and I think even that could have been workable.

None of that has to be spoilered :p

But the value in OMD is that mercifully MJ was removed from the picture. Sure a lot of the stories would have been possible with them being married, but they're better without them together.

kmfdmpig

"Wow, I really gotta read this Flintstones comic" is not a thing I thought I'd be saying at the start of this year

I remember deciding to give the first issue a shot, assuming that it would not be for me. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, and now it's always one of my favorite comics each week that it comes out.

Messi

Can we get Pepe Larazz on an X book featuring Rogue like tomorrow? What a wonderful artist. His issues on Uncanny Avengers have been so beautiful.

He actually makes Rogues current costume work

None of that has to be spoilered :p

But the value in OMD is that mercifully MJ was removed from the picture. Sure a lot of the stories would have been possible with them being married, but they're better without them together.

Truth.

Also, Peter needs to get some romance in his life. Miles understands this. His prospective list of ladies is strong.

Sandfox

I just checked Larazz is solicited up through #20. Hopefully he is the new ongoing artist now that Stegman is out.
I think he is.

Truth.

Also, Peter needs to get some romance in his life. Miles understands this. His prospective list of ladies is strong.
One thing I don't like about the current run is that Peter's personal life is nonexistent and his current relationship is extremely weak.

mreddie

Nova is good but I have some beef.

Didn't Sam have a girlfriend already?
I thought Rich became the worldmind and let him go after the last volume ended?

So Birdie gets to by hyperbolic and everyone loves it. I'm hyperbolic and I catch fire.

Birdie reviewing comics is like you're drunk uncle on New Year's Eve. Everything is WONDERFUL AND I WANT TO KISSSSS YOU! Hope springs eternal.

We all love him to death, and merely subtract 4 points from his scores to reach an objective review.

Sandfox

Nova is good but I have some beef.

Didn't Sam have a girlfriend already?
I thought Rich became the worldmind and let him go after the last volume ended?
That love interest hasn't been mentioned since before Secret Wars.

There are theories out there for the Rich thing, but we aren't supposed to know the details yet.
I actually thought the book was ending. Glad to see its not. Duggan is doing great work as you said. Just a great team book.
I think the book will go on until next year when
the Red Skull is eventually taken down by either them or Steve.

Top Bottom