• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

I just finished The Flintstones #5.

Hmm what did I love most about this comic.

Was it learning more about the Rubbles, who haven't been around too much yet? Was it getting to see more of the war that haunts Fred and Barney? Was it the incredibly fucking spot on political and social commentary? Was it how it managed to be both hilarious and heartbreaking from cover to cover, like no exaggeration you guys, the last page of a Flintstones comic had me choking up???

HOLY SHIT WHAT A GREAT COMIC

At least you discovered another great comic, eh?

Great comic. So good. I'm so glad you guys were buzzing about it or I never would have checked it out.

Edit: I must confess, I'm kicking myself for not trying any of these out on my own. I should have known Hanna Barbera characters are a perfect vessel for social commentary and humor. I've seen Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. I've seen Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

Shoulda known.

Yeah, the book looks really good.

I don't know too much about man thing other than reminding me of swamp thing Hah so nothing is so sacred for me, looking forward to whatever Stine comes up with. All I remember about man thing is him showing up near the beginning of heroes return when I was a kid, and having some sort of important role in the two universe joining again early on?

Edit: I must confess, I'm kicking myself for not trying any of these out on my own. I should have known Hanna Barbera characters are a perfect vessel for social commentary and humor. I've seen Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. I've seen Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

Shoulda known.

Honestly, I wouldn't have given two shits about the new Hanna-Barbera books if they didn't veer so far away from the originals in terms of content. I mean, Apocalyptic Scooby? Mad Max-style Wacky Racers? Who would have thought? And Flintstones is so spot-on with the commentary it feels like the spiritual successor to Prez. Although I would rather still have Prez.

JimBats was kind of a failed experiment, but I appreciated the experiment nonetheless. The difference in tone is jarring, though. In the end it's a story about how
Bruce gets his groove back
which makes the whole thing feel somewhat pointless. But the suit is cool, there are some nice callbacks and Bloom is a cool villain. I'd probably give the whole thing a B.

Hell yeah, plus it contains what the all time greatest Batman issues.

I really liked Superheavy for what it's worth, it's actually probably one of my favourite Snyder Batman volumes, I've enjoyed the elements of his run that have been *new* in the end more than the more tried and true elements. I totally agree though that it feels like a really good capstone, and superheavy is really just a fun thing with some insight into Gordon (obviously not as much the black mirror) before he has to put the toys back together for the next writer.

Yet to read Bloom since it's on my christmas list, but I definitely wouldn't put anything down about Superheavy as failed, just to riff off of what Echo said there.

Cool. Was afraid v8 might be a bit of a chore to get through like v6 - just odds and ends. But as long as it has a coherent plot, might as well give it a shot.

Also started reading something called Growing Up In Public. By writer Ezequiel Garcia about his life in Buenos Aires but a bit too simplistic and self involved for my liking. The writing style is very "X" happened then "Y" happened with a lot of name dropping of music to set the mood. Maybe it'll improve, will read a little more before I make a decision on dropping it.

Sandfox

I don't know too much about man thing other than reminding me of swamp thing Hah so nothing is so sacred for me, looking forward to whatever Stine comes up with. All I remember about man thing is him showing up near the beginning of heroes return when I was a kid, and having some sort of important role in the two universe joining again early on?

I don't know anything about the character, but the preview makes me really want to read it.

Cool. Was afraid v8 might be a bit of a chore to get through like v6 - just odds and ends. But as long as it has a coherent plot, might as well give it a shot..

Oh nono it is a proper arc of the book. Volume 10 is a bit like that I think though, the way they decided to pace out collecting them, but superheavy and bloom are another full mega arc from Snyder.

My favorite story featuring Man-Thing is Daydreamers, a three-issue limited series that spun out of the events of Generation X 25 and sent Franklin Richards, Leech, Artie, Tana Nile, Man-Thing and Howard the Duck on a craaaazy interdimensional adventure.

The New Avengers #18

Best issue of any comic I've read.

NjkrWlP.jpg

Owzers

Wonder Woman #9; True or False, Messi liked this issue because it involved mild girly hijinx in the form of shopping.

I tried to replace the light bulb in my small ceramic christmas tree. It has an awful bracket set-up, it resulted in me getting superglue on my finger tips and a replacement bulb that was smaller and only lights up half the tree.

Also, there was a long hair in my dcbs shipment and i'm pretty sure i didn't order it. Fairly sure...maybe sure...i will use it as a bookmark.

It's worth it. Detective Comics has been great, particularly if you're interested in Batman's various sidekicks.

I'm trying to remember if you are the guy that dislikes teen characters in comics. If so, you may not be into Detective Comics since the whole team is teen except for Batwoman and Clayface. Great book, though.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I generally try to avoid comics featuring teen characters.

Read the first issue of the current Detective Comics run. Unf, I cannot resist Kate Kane. The book looks good. May have to catch up on this. Arg... Just when I'm starting to get my pull under control, I come back here.

It was actually an amazing issue.

It definitely was

But I was just doing the math. I've probably read about
15,000-20,000
single issues in my lifetime. Could not pick a favorite if I tried.

I'm sure he's being facetious though. I mean...PRETTY sure. Hence the image. I can never tell with BK and that book

Sandfox

It definitely was

15,000-20,000

I'm sure he's being facetious though. I mean...PRETTY sure. Hence the image. I can never tell with BK and that book

Yeah, I couldn't pick a favorite either.

My favorite story featuring Man-Thing is Daydreamers, a three-issue limited series that spun out of the events of Generation X 25 and sent Franklin Richards, Leech, Artie, Tana Nile, Man-Thing and Howard the Duck on a craaaazy interdimensional adventure.

That sounds great! The whole heroes return thing involved him protecting Franklin I think, maybe that's how they knew each other lol

Yeah, they met in Daydreamers. Heroes Return was right after that book.

You learn something new every day! Heroes return and its context was baffling to me as a kid. The UK comic reprint collections I followed kicked off their avengers, cap, ff and hulk book with heroes reborn, so when heroes return happened, it was a genuine swerve to me that they had all *died* fighting onslaught and these guys were the real deal from the original 616. I understood it was a modern reboot but not that it was connected story wise. Even more mindfuck was that the sister Xmen book hadn't reached reprinting onslaught yet.

Messi

Wonder Woman #9; True or False, Messi liked this issue because it involved mild girly hijinx in the form of shopping.

I tried to replace the light bulb in my small ceramic christmas tree. It has an awful bracket set-up, it resulted in me getting superglue on my finger tips and a replacement bulb that was smaller and only lights up half the tree.

Also, there was a long hair in my dcbs shipment and i'm pretty sure i didn't order it. Fairly sure...maybe sure...i will use it as a bookmark.

False

How many Astro City issues has Busiek done now? It must be close to #100 by now, right?

Close. I think #100 comes out next Feb.

Edit: Yep.

http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/astro-city-2013/astro-city-41

It’s our 100th issue celebration! This 40-page extravaganza introduces Astro City’s most revered hero—the Astro-Naut! Learn his secrets! See him in action! And in the heat of World War II, see the stunning sacrifice that inspired a grateful populace to rename a city after its greatest hero. Also featuring the All-American, the Lamplighter, Zootsuit and the debut of the Gentleman, as our tour through Astro City’s history continues!

Wonder Woman #9 was great because it had a great fucking action sequence through which it expressed the central themes of the character

Edit: I'm thinking of #10.

Wonder Woman #9 was great because it explored Diana and Steve's relationship and
persuaded me they should be back together and then THEY WERE <3

Catching up on All-New Wolverine and the Laura/Squirrel Girl team up was the cutest thing ever. And of course it was, because Squirrel Girl is the best.

The Avengers #2
I'm really enjoying this book. The art in particular is great, but I am put off by the coloring. It just looks so washed out, and I'm not a fan of that. Constantly makes me feel like I left every page of my book in the sun for too long.

Also Hercules is the best.

Shade the Changing Girl #3
We just keep getting pulled deeper and deeper. That's the great thing about this book, because as the madness grows, you have to try not to lose yourself as the visuals get more and more psychadelic. We also learn more and more about Megan. We also learn a little bit more about Wes, and that he may be
just as bad as Megan, based on their "burn the world down" mentality. But fuck man, it's so difficult to be against Megan because then that means ascribing to the idea that she deserved ridicule for coming out of a coma and not being able to swim properly. Granted we know the real reason, but still.

This story is intense.

Superman #12
This book remains one of the single most enjoyable ongoing books. It's just fine, and it seems we've finally hit an arc that pushes Lois more to the forefront.

I feel like Tomasi and Gleason have a thing for classic movies. If every single arc in this book is going to alternate between focus on the Super family and classic movie tropes: DCU Edition, then this is the greatest book ever written.

Nightwing #10
Pretty good issue. A lot of nice callbacks (
Redhorn Distric is named for Chief Redhorn; Dixon Park named after Chuck Dixon
) and a nice bit of Dick's character that's reinforced: that he wants to be a superhero. And that's why he does it. I also enjoy the interpretation of Blüdhaven being more like an Atlantic City type of place. I'm not familiar with
Defacer, but I do feel like she's kind of homage to Dick's landlord in Blüdhaven as far as her role goes.

Shade the Changing Girl #3
We just keep getting pulled deeper and deeper. That's the great thing about this book, because as the madness grows, you have to try not to lose yourself as the visuals get more and more psychadelic.

When things get psychadelic, I don't have to worry about losing myself because the book does it for me. Shade is really the one Young Animal book I just can't get into. Even Cave Carson is on thin ice after #2, though.

Messi

So I am working on the thread for February (Sue me, I work ahead) and I came across this. How come no one mentioned it?

DEADPOOL: BAD BLOOD OGN-HC
Written by ROB LIEFELD, CHRIS SIMS & CHAD BOWERS
Penciled by ROB LIEFELD
Cover by ROB LIEFELD
Deadpool&#8212;more popular than ever before&#8212;in his first Original Graphic Novel! Deapool&#8217;s been shooting, stabbing and otherwise annoying people for a long time now. He&#8217;s made a lot of enemies. One he can&#8217;t quite place is the brutal Thumper, who keeps showing up out of the blue to pound him into jelly. What is Deadpool&#8217;s past connection to this beefy face-masher? And what&#8217;s up with Cable, Domino, and the others on the cover? Are they going to show up in the book? (Hint: They are!) Deadpool co-creator Rob Liefeld on pencils and inks teams with writers Chris Sims and Chad Bower (X-MEN &#8217;92) to tell the tale of his greatest creation (just roll with me here) getting his heinie handed to him! Check it out&#8212;before Deadpool checks YOU out!
112 PGS./Parental Advisory &#8230;$24.99

It definitely was

15,000-20,000

So Birdie gets to by hyperbolic and everyone loves it. I'm hyperbolic and I catch fire.

Well shit. Yes, I love New Avengers. It's been one of my favorites since it started, and I thought that particular issue was amazing.
When things get psychadelic, I don't have to worry about losing myself because the book does it for me. Shade is really the one Young Animal book I just can't get into. Even Cave Carson is on thin ice after #2, though.
I enjoy the psychological aspect of Shade. Part of whag makes it so unique. I wasn't feeling Carson after one, though. Not up my alley.

So Birdie gets to by hyperbolic and everyone loves it. I'm hyperbolic and I catch fire.

Well shit. Yes, I love New Avengers. It's been one of my favorites since it started, and I thought that particular issue was amazing.

Oh, Birdie catches all kinds of shit for being hyperbolic. At least I didn't respond with a giant wall of text this time?

It was a great great book though, I liked it a great deal despite myself. Great ending.

Green Arrow #12
And we're finally back! Back to the quality of writing that this book delivered with the first two arcs. It's basically the SamCap of DC comics and I love it for that.
Oh, Birdie catches all kinds of shit for being hyperbolic. At least I didn't respond with a giant wall of text this time?

It was a great great book though, I liked it a great despite myself. Great ending.

Me too. It's close to exactly what I want out of a classic-style Avengers book. Also Del Mundo is drawing the hell out of it.
Feels good to like superhero comics, doesn't it?

15,000-20,000

Very random use of spoiler tags. You got me.

I can't rank individual issues. Too many to track, and usually a small piecemeal of a story.

Sandfox

Me too. It's close to exactly what I want out of a classic-style Avengers book. Also Del Mundo is drawing the hell out of it.
Yeah, The book is really good with a classic feel, but both Waid and Del Mundo are delivering in a way that makes the book stand out from others. This is basically Waid Flash with Weirdworld art.

Top Bottom