• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

A potentially good new Shulkie and a potential good new Batwoman book... Woooow. I am getting back into the comic swing of things at the right time.

Messi

Then I wish I'd hoped aboard that when it started. Guess I can pick it up at the next arc.

I'd just pick up from where rebirth started #934. It's a fresh slate for the book and it's only like 10 issues in. The first Batwoman stuff from bennett is going to be in Detective also.

I'd just pick up from where rebirth started #934. It's a fresh slate for the book and it's only like 10 issues in. The first Batwoman stuff from bennett is going to be in Detective also.

I guess I could. I'd have to probably go digital for those back issues. Hmmm.

Messi

I guess I could. I'd have to probably go digital for those back issues. Hmmm.

What if I told you the art is incredible?

Detective_Comics_934_page_06_07.jpg

ceftigdwqaesxok.jpg

Owzers

I might have spoiled last guardian from googling its controls...never google? I have been liking this game in parts, still wind up with a lot of clumsy camera/control stuff.

Comics will be read after I beat this game but before overwatch Christmas event Tuesday. That narrow comics window...

Isn't Huntress a devout Catholic?

I'm going to read it with an open mind. I'm sure I'll get enjoyment out of it, what with all the praise it gets!
Yep, the solicit was confirmed a mistake a while ago and the initial one was corrected with Batwoman. Guess they just copy pasted the original and not the fixed one.

Marvel rumors(but not really rumors since we've seen trades):
We've seen the Osborn vs Parker Part 1 trade and the Sam and Steve Prologues to Hydra trades. The event will probably start close to the end of MU since Marvel wants as many events as possible and as close together as they can. Wanda and Squadron being done makes sense with their numbers. Bendis is on his final arc at last and of course they want a new #1 before the movie is out.

Moon Knight #9
So
Marc was too insane to fight Khonsu? Is that why killed himself? To regain control? Because this feels weirdly anticlimactic. He decides to go back to the hospital, but Khonshu wasn't at the hospital. What I also don't get is that he talks about him being put there because he was crazy, but that's not what really happened. Khonshu put him there and then framed Seth. Right? So my only conclusion is that Khonshu played him, and him getting rid of his personalities is the finishing touch. The only thing that doesn't add up is Marlene. Apparently she was the only one who saw what was wrong with him and the only one who never resigned herself to the reality outside of the hospital and, by relation to that, death. All of his other friends and personas are dead. And so my conclusion:

Marlene is Khonshu. Explains why Moon Knight in the Omega World timeline is a female instead of a male (a detail I had previously overlooked). Marlene is the new vessel.

Half-Life 3 Illuminati reptillians in the hollow flat Earth full of steel beams that jet fuel can't burn

This fucking book

The Unworthy Thor #2
This issue was dark. For me at least. It was dope seeing
Bill and Odinson fight side by side, if very short lived. Too short lived, Aaron you tease. But now we know Odinson is worthy, so that's good. The real question now is what Thanos' role to play here is.
It's also interesting to note that because of that, this takes place during Civil War 2

Good issue. Can't wait for more.

Zombine

Banned
So I picked up this today:

What's cool is that this was written as a direct sequel to Aliens before Alien³ was in the works. I may be the only one around here that likes Aliens comics, but I'm looking forward to reading this. The art is really solid too, especially when you consider this was originally published in the 80's. I've been meaning to pick it up for months, but the fact that Dark Horse announced another one pushed me to finally get around to it.

I read the alien comics and this is great.

The Problem With Comics

Lots of modern talk and critique around comics is focused around the stories therein, the people drawing and writing them, and for many years now, talking about representation in comics - where it succeeds, where it fails, where it could do with trying a hell of a lot harder, and a whole glut of other things about not just the stories in comics, but the decisions that are made in publishing them.

One factor in particular, however, tends to get passed over in talking about the way comics are now, and how they might change, and what we think of them or perhaps want out of them: the economics and the market of comics themselves, and how business decisions affect creative decisions affect representation and so much more.

By detailing a history of the relentless, seemingly never ending fuck ups in comics' economics history, it is shown where business and art connect, and how and why the business, the market, and how god awful it is run, directly impacts our creative and representational desires out of print comics. And, hopefully, how we might be able to be find solutions out of it.

-A 20k word history/essay in the format of twine on print comics markets and economics, starting the Comics Code Authority, moving into the 70s crash, the shift into the direct market, the speculator bubble, and how the hell we got to the point where X-Men comics sell less than they ever used to, despite never being more popular characters, among others.

Yep, the solicit was confirmed a mistake a while ago and the initial one was corrected with Batwoman. Guess they just copy pasted the original and not the fixed one.

Marvel rumors(but not really rumors since we've seen trades):
We've seen the Osborn vs Parker Part 1 trade and the Sam and Steve Prologues to Hydra trades. The event will probably start close to the end of MU since Marvel wants as many events as possible and as close together as they can. Wanda and Squadron being done makes sense with their numbers. Bendis is on his final arc at last and of course they want a new #1 before the movie is out.

On those rumors:

That Osborn Vs Parker trade ends with issue 28 which should release next year on June/July, since the movie is coming out we should see a new number one that will feature the Vulture and maybe Shocker.

This is just speculation on what happened with the last ASM film

Batman v7 Endgame was actually pretty good. And I thought it didn't have the problems the previous arcs had. And it looked awesome.

This felt like a good conclusion to the run actually. Any point in reading v8 and v9 (Superheavy & Bloom)?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That list looks pretty good. Biggest omission for me would be Nicola Scott.

If I were going to make changes I'd insert Scott, Emma Rios, and Leila del Duca in place of Henderson, Nguyen, and Cook.

Batman v7 Endgame was actually pretty good. And I thought it didn't have the problems the previous arcs had. And it looked awesome.

This felt like a good conclusion to the run actually. Any point in reading v8 and v9 (Superheavy & Bloom)?

JimBats was kind of a failed experiment, but I appreciated the experiment nonetheless. The difference in tone is jarring, though. In the end it's a story about how
Bruce gets his groove back
which makes the whole thing feel somewhat pointless. But the suit is cool, there are some nice callbacks and Bloom is a cool villain. I'd probably give the whole thing a B.

Ross61

Hell yeah, plus it contains what the all time greatest Batman issues.

That list looks pretty good. Biggest omission for me would be Nicola Scott.

If I were going to make changes I'd insert Scott, Emma Rios, and Leila del Duca in place of Henderson, Nguyen, and Cook.
He does name more female artist on his twitter but his reasons for not including them are "I only had room for 30."

What's cool is that this was written as a direct sequel to Aliens before Alien³ was in the works. I may be the only one around here that likes Aliens comics, but I'm looking forward to reading this. The art is really solid too, especially when you consider this was originally published in the 80's. I've been meaning to pick it up for months, but the fact that Dark Horse announced another one pushed me to finally get around to it.

I'd definitely like to jump on the alien bandwagon at some point, just something I haven't got around to, comicwise (love the alien ,aliens & Prometheus films). I expected big things when Dark Horse announced they were tentpoling them, but the creatives have shifted more than I expected. There was also a bit of strangeness withthe collections regarding the key issue that tied the four mini series together that put me off a little. Might try the Wood book though.

I really liked Superheavy for what it's worth, it's actually probably one of my favourite Snyder Batman volumes, I've enjoyed the elements of his run that have been *new* in the end more than the more tried and true elements. I totally agree though that it feels like a really good capstone, and superheavy is really just a fun thing with some insight into Gordon (obviously not as much the black mirror) before he has to put the toys back together for the next writer.

Yet to read Bloom since it's on my christmas list, but I definitely wouldn't put anything down about Superheavy as failed, just to riff off of what Echo said there.

As for the CC thing,
interested in Reilly being back but Peter David and Mark Bagley, not for me in the slightest

VanWinkle

Looks good, yeah. I just wish they drew her a little thicker, more muscular.

Ok, maybe I'll pick up the first issue and see what I think.

I'm trying to remember if you are the guy that dislikes teen characters in comics. If so, you may not be into Detective Comics since the whole team is teen except for Batwoman and Clayface. Great book, though.

Top Bottom