• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

VanWinkle

Reading Nightwing (Dixon) Vol. 2 FINALLY, after having read Vol. 1 like a year+ ago. Forgot how awesome this run is. This stuff would be amazing even if written today, if it had newer/bettter art. I'm not a McDaniel fan.

Seems really shortsighted when we've had multiple threads in Off Topic lately about MTMTE/Lost Light. But ye have your biases, and that's fine. Everyone does. If I was making it I'd change the format entirely and it'd probably be like the Steam thread with people submitting blurbs for upcoming books. 54 books in an OP seems like madness to me. The "make it yourself" argument will be invoked and we'll go around in circles on this. Again. Yet again.

Bring back sillymonkey, goddamnit.

Wait, what happened to sillymonkey? Do they still post here?

Up to All-New Wolverine #13 and this series is good shit.

oh shit, I didn't realize the new Walking Dead from Telltale starts this month.

Wait, what happened to sillymonkey? Do they still post here?

A terrible fate befell Sillymonkey, unfortunately. He became addicted to Overwatch.
And then he had a mod change his username to Owzers. Terrible, terrible.

PsychBat!

Banned
KgpldjP.gif

kmfdmpig

In hindsight, it's kind of amazing Frankenstein even got that New 52 series.

I agree, but I thought the various series filled an interesting niche for DC that nothing else really fills for them. That Hellboyesque monstrous horror/action niche that they haven't really had other than through Frankenstein.

I agree, but I thought the various series filled an interesting niche for DC that nothing else really fills for them. That Hellboyesque monstrous horror/action niche that they haven't really had other than through Frankenstein.

I think they were just trying to throw together some drastically different books in an attempt to pull in new readers. A move that Marvel would later echo with the ANAD line.

kmfdmpig

I think they were just trying to throw together some drastically different books in an attempt to pull in new readers. A move that Marvel would later echo with the ANAD line.

Agreed. Nu52 was very diverse to start with the Hex book, the war book, Demon Knights, etc...

While I think that the average quality of books is higher with Rebirth it's a shame that DC is so narrowly focused on traditional cape books for the most part.

I guess they at least have their other lines (Young Animals, Hanna Barbara) to give them a bit of breadth.

So I've been watching 2 (3 I guess) comic book related TV shows.

X-Men: Evolution is amazing starting at S3 when it becomes more of an X-Men, but high schoolers rather than X-Men as high-schoolers. Goth Rogue is the best thing ever.

I've also watched like 3 episodes of X-Men: TAS and holy crap the animation sucks and Wolverine is a loser. I also realized we've had only 3 X-Men cartoons in the span of 25 years, screw you Marvel.

Jessica Jones is good but it feels like everything not directly focused on Jessica/Kilgrave or Luke Cage kinda sucks. Maybe some of these subplots matter later on but they feel like a waste of time.

Platy

Just received my Sandman Overture Deluxe edition that I bought online at black friday and ... time for a Neil Gaiman collection pic !

GjFMNQY.png

...and to discover that Little Endless Storybook and Good Omens are lent to someone I don't remember =P

Fun facts here : Overture Deluxe is the only english edition there because it is taken so long to translate that, Brazil never got a translated version of absolut sandman volume 5, Dustcovers (the sandman cover artbook) here was published in 2 editions but I could only track down the first one since it had a very limited run, since the "not so good state" of the book (the one between Delirum's party and Overture Deluxe).

Messi

I honestly have no idea what is happening in this Moon Knight book. But it is fascinating. Francavilla seems to have been doing a fair bit of work for this.

MartyStu

Agreed. Nu52 was very diverse to start with the Hex book, the war book, Demon Knights, etc...

While I think that the average quality of books is higher with Rebirth it's a shame that DC is so narrowly focused on traditional cape books for the most part.

I guess they at least have their other lines (Young Animals, Hanna Barbara) to give them a bit of breadth.

I think what they are currently doing is making sure that the core of their business is strong again before experimenting.

They learned their lesson with DCYou.

drop DC

we can stop pretending we care about Suicide Squad and Supergirl now
Hey now! I care about Supergirl!

I put in the ROM Annual. I swapped out some dumb Transformers book for it.

:D
Rom is best book
Reading Nightwing (Dixon) Vol. 2 FINALLY, after having read Vol. 1 like a year+ ago. Forgot how awesome this run is. This stuff would be amazing even if written today, if it had newer/bettter art. I'm not a McDaniel fan.
Well FUCK you.

Seriously though I can understand the dislike. I enjoy that art style, but even then I have some difficulty following some action sequences.

Ok, all caught up on Wolverine. The most recent two issues had horrendous art *shutters* But I ended with the annual and that was so much fun. Gwen in Laura's body impaling herself had me rolling.

So now I've caught up on that, Black Panther, Jonsey, Hulk, and Spider-Man/Deadpool. Jonsey and Black Panther are awesome. Hulk is getting dropped (good, but not good enough).

Next up Rebirth Superman and Old Man Logan.

Messi

Don't worry, the Flow is wrong. Just ask the guys over at Slaent.

Those dudes got blown up.

Young Animal publishes 4 books a month. We can't have 4 books and keep it looking neat. 3 max. So one book a month misses out. Also the intent isn't to showcase every book. If that's what some of you are after then each company has monthly solicits.

So instead of starting X-23 (I said I was last night but got only about three pages in before zonking out), I decided to start Ewing's Mighty Avengers (I bought all of it from my LCS. 3 trades at like, $15 apiece).

Honestly, Land's art isn't too bad here. Though I'm sure Ewing helps, as he's certainly a step up from Bunn on Uncanny X-Men
Those dudes got blown up..
I looked for the thread that had the OT wholesale lifted from here, but I couldn't find it.

Did some reading this weekend!

Bought all of the Rebirth Superman comics on CMX after reading the first few at a friend's house. Really enjoy it, which is odd as I've never gotten into Supes in comic form. The issues with Jorge Jimenez art are gorgeous. Added Super Sons to my pull list :)

Wonderwoman #10 and #11 were good, as usual. Things are coming together there.

Doom Patrol #3... I'm dropping Doom Patrol. I enjoy the art, but the story is just gibberish to me. I think I have 2 more issues pre-ordered so I'll read those, but it is not for me.

I've started A.D. After Death, but wasn't in the mood for it. Will try again :p

Eidjinn

Can you guys help me with a few doubts?

1)Never read Watchmen. So, should I try to buy the absolute, or wait for the collector's box edition?

2)Should I get Green Lantern Brighest day omnibus, or this arc is included in the Green Lantern Omnibuses by Geoff Johns?

3)Aside insock trades and Nobles and Barnes, any other great comic book store that ships internationally?

4)Will Top 10 from Alan Moore ever be republished in Absolute format?

5)How about Criminals by Bendis (I think)? Will it receive a omnibus?

6) Everything related to Sandman is found in the 5 absolutes? Anything else I should buy to have the entire material of Sandman?

7) Is Promethea worth buying absolutes? (I think I saw a place that was selling numbers 2 and 3!)
Thanks! XD

Ross61

DC Comics Announces Hanna-Barbera Crossover Annuals

ADAM STRANGE/FUTURE QUEST ANNUAL #1
5585319-adam_strange_fq_annual_1.jpg

Written by Marc Andreyko and Jeff Parker

Art by Steve Lieber

Backup Feature: TOP CAT

Written by Dan DiDio

Art by Phil Winslade

BOOSTER GOLD/THE FLINTSTONES ANNUAL #1
5585321-bg_flintstones_annual+1.jpg

Written by Mark Russell

Art by Rick Leonardi and Scott Hanna

Backup Feature: THE JETSONS

Written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti

Art by Pier Brito

GREEN LANTERN/SPACE GHOST ANNUAL #1
5585322-gl_sg_annual+1.jpg

Written by James Tynion IV and Chris Sebela

Art by Ariel Olivetti

Backup Feature: RUFF AND REDDY

Story and art by Howard Chaykin

SUICIDE SQUAD/BANANA SPLITS ANNUAL #1
5585324-ssbs_cover_final1.jpg

Written by Tony Bedard

Art by Ben Caldwell

Backup Feature: SNAGGLEPUSS

Written by Mark Russell

Art by Dale Eaglesham

TheFlow

Banned
Just received my Sandman Overture Deluxe edition that I bought online at black friday and ... time for a Neil Gaiman collection pic !

GjFMNQY.png

...and to discover that Little Endless Storybook and Good Omens are lent to someone I don't remember =P

Fun facts here : Overture Deluxe is the only english edition there because it is taken so long to translate that, Brazil never got a translated version of absolut sandman volume 5, Dustcovers (the sandman cover artbook) here was published in 2 editions but I could only track down the first one since it had a very limited run, since the "not so good state" of the book (the one between Delirum's party and Overture Deluxe).

this is hot. I gotta read sandman before I die. Lord let me see that day.

1)Never read Watchmen. So, should I try to buy the absolute, or wait for the collector's box edition?

2)Should I get Green Lantern Brighest day omnibus, or this arc is included in the Green Lantern Omnibuses by Geoff Johns?

3)Aside insock trades and Nobles and Barnes, any other great comic book store that ships internationally?

6) Everything related to Sandman is found in the 5 absolutes? Anything else I should buy to have the entire material of Sandman?

7) Is Promethea worth buying absolutes? (I think I saw a place that was selling numbers 2 and 3!)
Thanks! XD
you can never go wrong with an absolute. I would get the deluxe or the absolute If I had to go physical. that box set is cool but 12 hc books is not something I am into.

brightest day should be included, but Vanwrinkle and timm are our experts on that.

there is facebook group that I will pm to you called the omnibus collectors. they not only help people find hc all over the world but people are more than willinging to trade/sell overseas.

top 10 probably won't

criminals by Bendis already has an omnibus that just came I think. and lord is it thick.

sandman has 5 absolutes but there is another called death with the side stories, then sandman overturn.

Also check out instock trades com. also called IST around here. it is a great comic online store to buy omnibus, trades, and hc.

tim1138

Thanks! XD

1. I'd just get the regular tpb unless you absolutely need it in hardcover

2. The Brightest Day omnibus collects the 26 (?) issues of the Brightest Day series, it's not a Green Lantern story. There is a Green Lantern Brightest Day collection, but it's an arc that was actually titled New Guardians and would be in either the 2nd or 3rd omnibus

4) Probably not

6) There's the recent Sandman Overture series from a year or two ago that as far as I know hasn't been released in Absolute format

Amazing

Top Bottom