• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

mreddie

I am already looking forward to the announcements of what these books will be replaced with.

:D

Squadon is likely done with Leonard Kirk jumping to Wolverine.
The recent "rumors" that Scarlet Witch will end and join a team are looking legit
Silk I think will be helped by trade and online since the line is thin.
Jessica is one book I fear will end any day now.
Spider-Man 2099 is likely to end with the rumor about the book spinning off from Clone.
Flintstones has people talking so it'll stay for a bit

GAMEPROFF

Banned
2099 has a couple of Trades announced that should go at least 10-15 issues after Clone Conspiracy.
Miguel should be safe for the next time.

Messi

asm2015025-immonen-var-217495.jpg

Stuart Immonen on ASM which will finally deal with Osborn.

Immonen fuck yes. More Bobbi!

Scarlet Witch should come back to Uncanny Avengers, she is an awesome foil for Rogue
She did at the time. I don't know if she will now. By the end of Remender's run, those two had made up, with Wanda acknowledging that she was callous and Rogue admitting that she was unbelievably angry and Wanda was an easy target.
They got that one inhuman girl who has the same powers I think.
Synapse? She has like, the worst version of telepathy/mind-control ever.

Shade :(

Flintstones ;_______;
It was always going to be just 12 issues. Not even it being Didio's favorite book on the market will give us more after that unless trade sales are amazing.
I don't think anyone really knows. They are just saying new artist.
Since they didn't announce it as the final arc(and the trade says Part 1) I'm guessing this'll be the team until Osborn is dealt with/Slott stops writing ASM(whichever comes first).

dan2026

One day Slott will stop writing Spider-man.

I swear it feels like he has been writing it since time immemorial at this point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I swear it feels like he has been writing it since time immemorial at this point.
I was in school when I bought the last book where Slott wasnt involved.
Now I have a job, a flat and and are going to be 25 years old D:

dan2026

I was in school when I bought the last book where Slott wasnt involved.
Now I have a job, a flat and and are going to be 25 years old D:

I guess some people really, really love his writing.

Personally I can't stand most of it.
But hey I guess the market has spoken.

The people love Slott!

I think there are things missing from Slott's Spider-Man that some people consider essential to the character

Like the best romance of the book was when he was possessed by Dr. Octopus

And sometimes supporting cast members act like caricatures of themselves when they do dumb things to move the plot in an obviously predetermined direction

Romance and the supporting cast have always been big parts of Spider-Man and I don't think Slott has ever had much of a handle on those things. The exception to all of this being Anna who is a terrific addition to the book. Bobbi has also been wonderful in her handful of appearances.

But I think there are other things he does very well. It makes for a book I find mostly enjoyable, most of the time. I rarely think it's great but I usually find it palatable at least.

dan2026

Is this Squirrel Girl art supposed to be a joke?
I don't think i have seen art worse than this in a good long time.
It looks like someone did a quick sketch on the back of a napkin and then some poor bastard has to colour it.

Hagi

I can't take this Regent arc of ASM seriously, If it's not the cockwaving between Peter and Tony it's the crippling awkwardness that is Pete and MJ. Plus there's Regent being all stupid OP and catching a bunch of heroes off screen like Hyperion and Rogue. Bring back Bobbi, even if the Zodiac stuff went on for too long at least we had her. Wtf he has Iceman and Quicksilver as well? Sweet Jesus.

I hope the next arc is better.

Sandfox

I can't take this Regent arc of ASM seriously, If it's not the cockwaving between Peter and Tony it's the crippling awkwardness that is Pete and MJ. Plus there's Regent being all stupid OP and catching a bunch of heroes off screen like Hyperion and Rogue. Bring back Bobbi, even if the Zodiac stuff went on for too long at least we had her. Wtf he has Iceman and Quicksilver as well? Sweet Jesus.

I hope the next arc is better.

The book picks up after that with Before Dead No More IMO.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, people hate Slott Spidey? I like it

IwwKjZL.gif

DANGER!

131 Future Quest (2016) 7 19,910
135 Shade the Changing Girl (2016) 2 19,525
136 Spider-Man 2099 (2015) 17 19,271
139 Silk (2015) 14 18,987
142 Prowler (2016) 2 17,617
145 Thunderbolts (2016) 7 17,269
150 Spider-Woman (2015) 13 16,386
151 Squadron Supreme (2015) 13 16,309
165 Scarlet Witch (2015) 12 13,206
173 Solo (2016) 2 12,722 1 30,589 -17,867
184 Flintstones (2016) 5 11,552

Spidey 2099 started off so well, and then went to shit

I think there are things missing from Slott's Spider-Man that some people consider essential to the character

Like the best romance of the book was when he was possessed by Dr. Octopus

And sometimes supporting cast members act like caricatures of themselves when they do dumb things to move the plot in an obviously predetermined direction

Romance and the supporting cast have always been big parts of Spider-Man and I don't think Slott has ever had much of a handle on those things. The exception to all of this being Anna who is a terrific addition to the book. Bobbi has also been wonderful in her handful of appearances.

But I think there are other things he does very well. It makes for a book I find mostly enjoyable, most of the time. I rarely think it's great but I usually find it palatable at least.

I still have the theory that the fanbacklash to Carlie Cooper ended up turning Slott off on trying to include romance again. Like, it's telling that only time he would commit to it again was during the Superior run. Hell, he did the absolute bare minimum with Pete's newest girlfriend and was quick to forget about her.

Sandfox

I still have the theory that the fanbacklash to Carlie Cooper ended up turning Slott off on trying to include romance again. Like, it's telling that only time he would commit to it again was during the Superior run. Hell, he did the absolute bare minimum with Pete's newest girlfriend and was quick to forget about her.

Prior to Superior he was teasing Peter and MJ getting back together until Otto chased her off. Slott always tries to include the romance stuff, but it clearly wasn't a big focus for him this time around.

Boogiepop

So I'm approaching the end of the Claremont Uncanny X-men omnibus 3, which means for me probably the end of the run in print and for a while for me in general. IE I'll wait till the next time a Comixology sale makes it feasible to grab the rest of what I need. I'm assuming everything for that run at least should be up on there no problem, right?

So that I'm prepared, do people have a solid reading order for this stuff? Like, obviously I need to jump on the rest of his Uncanny issues, and I'm thinking it'd make sense to of course grab New Mutants as well (though it'd be nice to have a guide to make sure I'm keeping things at roughly the proper pace so one doesn't spoil the other). But realistically, I'd also really want the easier to miss but still definitely important stuff too. Like, the big one in my mind is probably that King Size Avengers Annual that fleshes out the brotherhood, introduces Rogue for the first time, and sets up the status quo of Carol, as well as tying her in with the X-men for the time being. Plus the first four issues of Wolverine look like they'll tie in rather directly as well. So yeah, stuff like that where it could be easy to miss slotting them in despite it being important to do so.

IwwKjZL.gif

DANGER!

131 Future Quest (2016) 7 19,910
135 Shade the Changing Girl (2016) 2 19,525
136 Spider-Man 2099 (2015) 17 19,271
139 Silk (2015) 14 18,987
142 Prowler (2016) 2 17,617
145 Thunderbolts (2016) 7 17,269
150 Spider-Woman (2015) 13 16,386
151 Squadron Supreme (2015) 13 16,309
165 Scarlet Witch (2015) 12 13,206
173 Solo (2016) 2 12,722 1 30,589 -17,867
184 Flintstones (2016) 5 11,552

Not even sure why they published a Solo book in 2016.

Who else from Marvel is going to write it? Duggan maybe?

Hagi

Before Dead No More was pretty damn good. I'm not sure I vibe with the whole Jay thing, I get the thinking behind it but
I don't think that Peter would fuck around with his life like that when he has nothing to go on but his spidersense. You know if this was Aunt May he would go through with New U then figure it out afterwards. It was a clunky development but the end scene still hit hard.

I'm in for Clone Conspiracy.

Messi

Could we come together and maybe come up with 10 categories for books of the year stuff that I can feature in the op and Zombines thread. Stuff like best book, most improved, biggest letdown, best artist, writer ect. We kinda had rumblings of it and I think we should do it. It doesn't have to interfere with the people doing best of lists. I think it would be nice. GrandHarrier is banned from doing it though.

TheFlow

Banned
Could we come together and maybe come up with 10 categories for books of the year stuff that I can feature in the op and Zombines thread. Stuff like best book, most improved, biggest letdown, best artist, writer ect. We kinda had rumblings of it and I think we should do it. It doesn't have to interfere with the people doing best of lists. I think it would be nice. GrandHarrier is banned from doing it though.

I think we should automatically agree with the easiest categories first.

most improved

biggest letdown

best book

best written

best colored

best pencilled.

best book no one is reading.(the hidden gem award)

best surprise of the year

those to start.

I don't like "most underrated" or anything similar as a category because it's natural for a book that isn't underrated to win it

Best single issue and/or best arc

Best miniseries

Edit: and I think Jordie Bellaire would auto-win best colorist, though that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't do that I guess

Messi

I think we should automatically agree with the easiest categories first.

most improved

biggest letdown

best book

best written

best colored

best pencilled.

best book no one is reading.(the hidden gem award)

best surprise of the year

those to start.

Flow doesn't care about inkers confirmed

Best cover.

Top Bottom