• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

shingi70

Banned
It was weird people were up in arms about a fictional character, who wasn't taking a spot for a real woman. Dunno plus the petition came off as double sided sexist, which is inherently a problem when talking about certian issues like body shaming.

Also it's funny that Gaf redeeming this is using straight up sexist rhetoric to defend Wonder Womans removal.

Owzers

Power Man and Iron Fist #10: Although it benefits from the set-up of the last 9 issues, those last 9 issues are also why this is my last issue monthly and i'll continue the next time i subscribe to MU. I like the Danny/Luke interactions much more than the book as a whole, and this issue still didn't really change that, the last page is way too
"yes, i liked the Runaways a lot, and now i'm struggling to remember just what happened in it so i can be surprised about this character showing up"

Flintstones...i am debating ordering the trade because of the talk here but the pages i've seen seem "oscar-baity" to me and i'm struggling to find scenarios where i enjoy this kind of book. It sounds like its earned a try though.

mreddie

I'm considering dropping some books by the New Year

Champions
Uncanny Inhumans
The Punisher
TK Batman
Teen Titans
Jem

Make a convincing case for each one why I should stay with it.

TheFlow

Banned

Champions
Uncanny Inhumans
The Punisher
TK Batman
Teen Titans
Jem

I think I have dropped everyone on that list but teen titans.

I am willing to pick up batman again just to see what "I am suicide" is all about.

TheFlow

Banned
wooh glad to know BEN^

Also guys for the first time ever I am mostly caught up on Both my Marvel, Image, and DC pull. gotta read them of course but it feels good not needing to buy anything till next week. I even made sure I picked up the last couple of deadly class and future quest.

Flintstones, Giant days, and Archie are now the only things I need to buy up. I am still holding out on All star batman till #7. I almost bought deathstroke but I was like next time

I am most excited this month for Slam #2 .

Hagi

I bought the two Uncanny Avengers trades because of the CMX sale, turn out this was a good idea. No clue why I didn't click with this the first time I read it but it's really good so far. My man Cable just appeared!

mreddie

I think Uncanny is the best Avengers book, New Avengers has some issues but not big issues, just enough where Uncanny edges it out.

Cable puts the series in a good place and then post Pymtron is where things hit.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
tfcxkip.png

pi4uh9I.png

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Champions
Uncanny Inhumans
The Punisher
TK Batman
Teen Titans
Jem

How did Punisher last you this long? Yikes. Issue 1 & 2 were bad.

I'm hoping Batman reads better in trade format. I've dropped the rest.

Messi

Champions
Uncanny Inhumans
The Punisher
TK Batman
Teen Titans
Jem

Why? If they are on this list you already know you aren't getting enough from them. Drop them.

mreddie

How did Punisher last you this long? Yikes. Issue 1 & 2 were bad.

I'm hoping Batman reads better in trade format. I've dropped the rest.

Actually, I dropped Pun but after Dillion, I decided to catch up, I'm just in it for art at the moment.

Sadly, the opposite is for Jem, damn, that book took a nosedive after Campbell, the Misfits actually looks better.

Why? If they are on this list you already know you aren't getting enough from them. Drop them.

I feel I need to give one book as Biggie would say "One More Chance."

Okay, the backup singers said it.

Messi

Actually, I dropped Pun but after Dillion, I decided to catch up, I'm just in it for art at the moment.

Sadly, the opposite is for Jem, damn, that book took a nosedive after Campbell, the Misfits actually looks better.

I feel I need to give one book as Biggie would say "One More Chance."

Okay, the backup singers said it.

Too many good books to be giving second chances to dodgy books imo.

TheFlow

Banned
ayye you right^ I am going to sit down one day and count everything I buy monthly.

anyway guys I am about to spam you all with tons of reviews/summaries. I will try to group them up as much as possible.

TheFlow

Banned
Detective comics #942night of the monster men part part 6/finale.

let's talk about the best thing in this book. The art and panels. Now lets talk about the worst thing: the plot. the tower turrets are w.e were underwhelming. Strange plotting for all those issue lead to this: he is nothing but a smaller fish.

Night of the monster men is a great concept that fell apart due to the villain, batman's dialog, and how the final issues played out.

Snotgirl #4.

ah snap I am still not not sure what quite happened in the bathroom. I thought everything was alright till the last couple of pages. This is basically the confrontation. The next issue is the final and I am excited. The mystery will finally be revealed. p.s this wasn't a halloween special.

Deadly class #23

this issue was amazing. like pure drugs. I was sad it was over. Oh man I didn't think Remender could make saya being the lead work but he does. Shit is about to go down.

Deadly Class #24

Ok guys Deadly Class is back to being one of the best things to ever come out of Remender hell make that Image. This issue was some how miles above the previous one which is crazy. I want to say more but I will wait till this arc finishes.

One thing I can is I am loving the new students maybe more than the first cast

Joe Kelly would be the best

Ehhh, I like Kelly a lot but a year into Spider-Man & Deadpool I'm not feeling him for a Spidey book, least of all ASM.

We've had three guest issues (including the worst single issue I read this year), and eight issues of a single story that shows no signs of ending anytime soon. That is not great. I'm close to dropping it.

Edit: you know what. Why wait. Dropped.

VanWinkle

Why do artists leave books so much more often than writers? It's so crazy how there's so few large runs with the same artist on it for the vast majority of it.

Why do artists leave books so much more often than writers? It's so crazy how there's so few large runs with the same artist on it for the vast majority of it.

Drawing is far more time-consuming than writing, so it is easier to get conflicting schedules.

In addition, we're talking more about the big two and their properties right, oppose to a co-owned creation between partners on a self owned book. You're unlikely to often see Staples come off Saga, or something. So within the big two, you have to consider who's vision and who is driving the storylines you see. Writers & artists definitely have a huge impact on the quality, but the nature of things is the push for where the property needs to go can be coming from higher up. Even if it's not, a lot of the time the writer has pitched to Marvel his or her vision and then gets partnered with an artist already under contract, they don't really come up with it together, the artist is on the tail end of the creative process despite being arguably the number one factor in success of execution. So the book doesn't come to an end when the artist is burned out, needs a break or wants to do something radically different, because the writer's vision or edtorial vision isn't necessarily in tune with how long the artist can work on that project... so they depart and the writer doesn't necessarily suffer the same labour intensive issue (not that writing isn't a super hard gig) and keeps going.

That'll all generalised thoughts from things I've taken from interviews etc over the years. Won't apply to every case though, and I'm no deep expert of this stuff.

Top Bottom