• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just voted in the Serious Issues podcast year end awards too. Theirs came with nominations most of which sucked. Especially their Image noms.

Remember when Spider-Man was good?

This is not a rhetorical question. I have only been reading comics since 2012, and cannot for the life of me remember when a solid run other than maybe Superior.

Brand New Day and the start of Slott's run were generally pretty good, although with some dips here and there and some weird blindspots.

JMS's run was all out amazing aside from One More Day, but now you're going back a long time.

The book desperately needs a new writer and a new direction.

mreddie

Best new character is...

Nadia Pym

Just kidding...

jem-05.jpg

Land art aside, Ewing's Mighty Avengers has been pretty dope
I don't know what was up with his run with Bunn's Uncanny X-Men, but his action sequences are infinitely better here
I guess I need to check that out

Man I'm getting a lot of books on Wednesday
Don't read Glitterbomb expecting to know where it's going.

You won't
Does Glitterbomb pick up after the first issue?
Yes

Boogiepop

Well, I quite thoroughly enjoyed that. Just read Renew Your Vows from Secret Wars, and then topped it off with #1 of the new series. Yes, I am definitely, definitely down with this.

Sandfox

Brand New Day and the start of Slott's run were generally pretty good, although with some dips here and there and some weird blindspots.

JMS's run was all out amazing aside from One More Day, but now you're going back a long time.

The book desperately needs a new writer and a new direction.
JMS also had Sin's Past and The Other, depending on how you feel about that story lol.

TheFlow

Banned
so far I can only decide on best cover atm.

This is hands down my favorite cover of the year. like I get goosebumps. The thing is TMNT has a shit of crazy covers this year.
TMNT63_cvr-MOCKONLY-330x500.jpg

runner up

Unpopular opinion, Shade: the Changing Girl is the best book anyone is publishing right now

I think it's an extraordinary work of art

it has potential, but it is too early for me have a decisive verdict on it. I am waiting till the first arc is over to decide.

Land art aside, Ewing's Mighty Avengers has been pretty dope

That last issue before Secret Wars got me misty.

Remember when Spider-Man was good?

This is not a rhetorical question. I have only been reading comics since 2012, and cannot for the life of me remember when a solid run other than maybe Superior.

Superior and BND.

The trick is Slott is like Bendis was on Ultimate Spider-Man, wherein, the quality is rather static. Slott's run is never too bad, but it's not really great either. He's a steward. The guy you put on a series to keep it alive until you have a great take on it. He's a Fabian Nicieza. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, who else at Marvel is going to do Spider-Man? Duggan is my best shot and I feel that'd just be a weaker version of his Deadpool.

-----

Most Improved
Superman

Biggest Letdown
Daredevil

Best Book
My Hero Academia

Best Written
Sheriff of Babylon

Best Colorer
Jordie Bellaire

Best Penciller
Chris Samnee

Best Cover
No Clue

Best Suprise of the Year
Vision

Best Single Issue or Arc
Contest of Champions #4 - Night Thrasher Returns

Best Mini-Series
Superman: American Alien

diaspora

I'm honestly not sure who I'd want on Spider-Man other than Slott at this point. Waid did an alright job but I don't know if he'd even do an extended run. I could dig a short 6 issue series by Ellis but even then =\

Anyone have that "take that nonsense back to Manhattan where it belongs" image of Kamala? Been searching high and low for it.

e- never mind, I'm just bad at Google.

Messi

yea I am starting to see that. Lot of the books being 4 dollars is too much for me to keep up with atm.

They discount them down to $2 on Comixology after two months.

Get in on Giant Days if you haven't. Wonderful book.

I read Moon Knight #9 and I got fairly misty. It all came together really nicely and fuck I just wanna see what's next. That last bit before the last page had me like :(

Finished X-Men: Evolution and have come to the conclusion that it is 1/2 of an amazing X-Men cartoon. Once mutants are "outed" it's like x1000 times better. I'm really disappointed that they weren't able to move on with other X-Men stories in future seasons. The ending is both a perfect ending but also an excruciating tease at where the show could have gone.

Also started Young Justice. Really cool show.

that costume belongs in the trash

TheFlow

Banned
They discount them down to $2 on Comixology after two months.

Get in on Giant Days if you haven't. Wonderful book.

I read Moon Knight #9 and I got fairly misty. It all came together really nicely and fuck k just wanna see what's next. That lady but before the last page had me like :(

I love giant days. holding out for a Christmas cmx sale before I buy the rest up.

Sandfox

Waid and Samnee Spider-Man would interesting. I would just turn RYV into the main book personally because it has a strong creative team that gets the character and it would make fans happy.

diaspora

Waid and Samnee Spider-Man would interesting. I would just turn RYV into the main book personally because it has a strong creative team that gets the character and it would make fans happy.
Eh, I find RYV far worse than the main series, mostly crippled by the family and setting imo.

What about Fraction Spider-Man? I know he won't go back but would you guys approve?

I don't know. Mr. DeConnick seems to be a pale imitation of his former self. There's a spark missing from his more recent work that was always there when he was in his prime doing work for Marvel.

Messi

I don't know. Mr. DeConnick seems to be a pale imitation of his former self. There's a spark missing from his more recent work that was always there when he was in his prime doing work for Marvel.

I believe his name is Matt Fraction DeConnick if we are being formal.

Messi

So I read the first issue of The Flintstones. I've had it since the release but never read it.

Holy Fuck. What is this thing. It's amazing.

Someone tell me the artist doesn't leave. Also tell me they are doing the Jetsons.

You guys weren't kidding. I was floored.

TheFlow

Banned
Did you like the cartoon growing up? If so you will smile throughout. But this is confident in a way I didn't think it would be.

loved the cartoon, watched the animated specials and movies including the crossover with the jetsons. I watched the kid flintstones. Hell I even watched the adult versions.

so yea I am fan lol .

sucks that the price for #1 is still 4 bucks.

Sandfox

So I read the first issue of The Flintstones. I've had it since the release but never read it.

Someone tell me the artist doesn't leave. Also tell me they are doing the Jetsons.

Conner and Palmiotti are doing Jetsons.

Messi

loved the cartoon, watched the animated specials and movies including the crossover with the jetsons. I watched the kid flintstones. Hell I even watched the adult versions.

so yea I am fan lol .

sucks that the price for #1 is still 4 bucks.

They were all on sale buy one get one in the DC sale as they aren't rebirth :(.

Oh and the art is so good

Keep going. The coming issues dive more into political and social commentary. Very relevant and smart. It's in a similar place as Prez. This is probably the next best thing.

Top Bottom