• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Boogiepop

...Huh. Totally Awesome Hulk went into celebrity tie-in mode I guess (I don't keep up with the sports, so I'm not actually at all familiar with the guy) which is eeeeeh... but it also went full on
Space Jam
. I'm not sure if this wraps back around to kind of making me okay with it, but... maybe?

Edit: Also, Foolkiller remains great into the second issue. I mean, assuming it's not already a mini (is it, I'm not sure?) it's totally not going to last, because it's a freaking Foolkiller book. But it's totally good stuff that's worth reading.

Messi

...Huh. Totally Awesome Hulk went into celebrity tie-in mode I guess (I don't keep up with the sports, so I'm not actually at all familiar with the guy) which is eeeeeh... but it also went full on
Space Jam
. I'm not sure if this wraps back around to kind of making me okay with it, but... maybe?

There is a cool crossover coming up soon.

The person is Jeremy Lin. Greg Pak is a huge fan.

latest

latest

All-New X-Men #16: Another excellent issue and perhaps the best single issue of any X-team book of 2016. I realize that's a low bar for many of you, but this arc actually did turn out to be pretty entertaining. It may read a little funny when collected, we'll see. The arc does a good job of tying almost everything together in the end, but you still have this weird pacing where every issue is a small story featuring a couple of characters, then suddenly last issue the Goblin Queen popped up and started destroying Miami. But most of those individual stories were decent-to-good, and the two-issue Goblin Queen fight has been a terrific climax, especially this issue.

I don't want to spoil what happens, but I LOVE the twist on (this isn't really a spoiler but I'm going to tag it anyway just to be safe)
the evolution of a classic character featured in this issue. I did not see it coming at all and it's my favorite twist so far on the evolution of the O5.
I'm very excited to see where that goes, I'm sad it probably has to play out in X-Men: Blue but I guess I'm going to be giving that book a serious try now.

I will, however, restate my criticism of this creative team's complete inability to provide satisfying team action scenes. There is some good stuff in the big fight of this issue, especially towards the end, but once again the All-New X-Men do not work as a coordinated team ever. The only team member who is allowed to do combo moves is still Idie, because her powers do not work otherwise. Everyone just does their own thing and I think it's the book's greatest weakness.

Comics-Gaf-Question: If all of the floppies you have stored away were gone the next day, would you actually miss them?

Nope. I often give them away when I have the chance.

TheFlow

Banned
Flow takes on the X-men

Death of X #4

Meh. worth reading to see how willing Emma is to protect Scott's legacy and get rid of the cloud.

IvX #0

That was actually solid, and a perfect way to introduce this new event. no complaints what so ever. Emma was awesome of course.

IvX #1
And it delivered! I was expecting some fuckery but it was flawless. Everything I wanted to happen did happen. Emma was the mvp of this but there is a cool scene with Magneto that is amazing.

I am fully on board for this event. can't believe this is the same people who gave us death of X

I'm going to give IvX a try, we've already hit the bottom of the barrel with Death of X so the only way is up.
oh man it is fucking great and this is coming from someone who avoids events.

Hagi

What the hell IvX #1 was good, like really bloody good. Why couldn't you bums write Death of X this well? Old Man Logan summed up my issues with all this cloud bullshit in one panel. Beast is still terrible but
he gets it from all angles this issue and it's glorious!
I really loved Emma in this and
having her and Dazzler take out Black Bolt was on point. The whole Magneto and Jean feints were great as well.
This is on now, cross fingers for no delays.

oh man it is fucking great and this is coming from someone who avoids events.

Isn't it just? not going to lie, I'm bloody surprised. Maybe this X-Men revival won't be bad after all.

Mindwipe

I kinda want to see Rogue One in theaters even after not liking The Force Awakens much. I might just wait for the next main wars though...because i hate theaters. Rented Don't Breath, that's a movie.

Comics-Gaf-Question: If all of the floppies you have stored away were gone the next day, would you actually miss them?

No, but to be fair I've probably bought about five floppies since Infinite Crisis. Trades and digital for life.

Don't Breathe is great
don't kill me mods

Owzers

I've rewatched some of the Star Wars prequels late at night when bored and it's still baffling how they were allowed to be so terrible. Someone should have made them better...by force if they had to.

TheFlow

Banned
What the hell IvX #1 was good, like really bloody good. Why couldn't you bums write Death of X this well? Old Man Logan summed up my issues with all this cloud bullshit in one panel. Beast is still terrible but
he gets it from all angles this issue and it's glorious!
I really loved Emma in this and
having her and Dazzler take out Black Bolt was on point. The whole Magneto and Jean feints were great as well.
This is on now, cross fingers for no delays.

Isn't it just? not going to lie, I'm bloody surprised. Maybe this X-Men revival won't be bad after all.

definitely possible the relaunch can be solid, but I am going to wait till this event ends before I go hard with optimism.

TheFlow

Banned
Avengers #2

the art is the saving grace of this book and the reason I will come back despite the uninteresting story. Sorry guys I can't seem to give a care for where this arc is going. Also that Spider-man Joke about drake was too much for me, and I am a drake stan.

Hawkeye #1
If you liked her solo stuff in Fraction's run you will like this. It is basically a sequel, hell it even takes place in the same state. Kate is always in over her head but I enjoy watching her stumble out of situations. I hope this run doesn't feel like Deja Vu to me because I recently finished Fraction's run earlier this year.

overall not the strongest start but I believe this book has potential. Also Bellaire is coloring a lot of marvel books. She is putting in work and is the reason why I would consider her best colorist because she is consistent amongst a variety of books.

what a stunning cover.

Hawkeye #1
If you liked her solo stuff in Fraction's run you will like this. It is basically a sequel, hell it even takes place in the same state.

Yeah, I thought this might be the case so I passed on it. I didn't dislike her parts of the Fraction run, but I didn't like it enough to pay $3.99 for another issue.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, I thought this might be the case so I passed on it. I didn't dislike her parts of the Fraction run, but I didn't like it enough to pay $3.99 for another issue.

I thought her solo stuff in Fraction's run were kinda all over the place but that Madam Masque/man who couldn't leave the city subplot was amazing.

I would like for other young avengers/lucky/ and a awesome foil like Madam Masque to become staples. If it is just random no name criminals and veronica mars/archie type shennigans then I am most likely out too.

Kelly Hawkeye is basically Veronica Mars.
pretty much

Velinos

I went to my local comic book shop for the first time in a couple years yesterday while doing some Christmas shopping. I didn't pick anything I wanted up in case someone got it for me for Christmas, but I did pick one thing up. The owner was giving me some recommendations for a gift based on other series the guy had read and mentioned the series Revival from Image. It was a horror series, which I like, but the thing that clinched it for me was that it takes place in the town where I grew up. I picked up the first trade and read the first issue last night. Story is pretty good so far and it is kinda weird recognizing places and locations mentioned in the book. Anyone else here read this series?

I don't think it's as strong as her issues in Fraction's run. But we'll see how it shakes up. Art is nice at least.

Foofaraw

Read Shade #3

Mmmmm, need more. Continue to love the colors, line work, story. Aces book. Also, Dial H back up was pretty solid.

TheFlow

Banned
Caught up on all the marvel books I care about. Now time for Motor Girl to end a perfect day of reading.

I love books that have awesome covers.
Infamous Iron Man #2

it takes some solid writing to make Doom being a hero appealing to the audience. Bendis does a good job, and the artist is no slouch either. Grimm being a dick is warranted but causing all damage is not cool. love the suit as well. Keep it coming.

Great Lake Avengers #2
not as enjoyable as #1 but I will wait till about #4-5 before I decide to drop.

Mighty thor #13
hate to say this but this issue was boring. which is worse than bad because a bad book is at least going to stay in your mind some. but oh well. I can handle 1 meh issue out of 13.

Top Bottom