• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

ElNarez

Banned
the life of pablo was a bad album with flashes of greatness and that is the perfect album to associate with carol's tenure as captain marvel

ps: come at me

I suggested that a while back. It would make the most sense, since the target movie has come, gone, and is not fondly remembered for the most part.

She's set for February at the moment. She looks so good....

6oJxK5e.jpg

Snyder dropped a short tweet convo about the next ASB arc.

All Star Batman - #5, Finale of My Own Worst Enemy -our Two Face road trip from hell story - is out 12/28, then.... (1/2)

Next, #6 starts 4-pt story that takes place just after called Batman Ends of the Earth, starring Freeze, Ivy, Hatter, Selina & Ra's. Excited

Ends of the Earth will be drawn by @jock4twenty @f_francavilla @tulalotay @AfuaRichardson & a surprise to be announced next week.

It's literally about Batman, these villains, and the end of the world. Really, really excited about it. + It teases @GregCapullo event...

Thanks again for supporting this series the way you are too. Didn't expect it to perform like this, truly. Means a lot. I love making this 1

Christian

How do you guys pronounce Busiek?

BOO-SEE-EHK?
BYOO-SEEK?

Anyway, I'm reading through his Avengers run from the late 90s and early 00s and I'm thoroughly engaged. I skipped the Wrecking Crew issues that weren't written by him. I'm about to finish the Kulan Gath arc, right before the Kang Dynasty. I get the impression that his depth of knowledge about the Marvel universe is vast, which opens all sorts of paths to explore that I would likely never even know existed, plus I think he does a super job of laying the groundwork for stories throughout the run that lead to satisfying confrontations and conclusions later on. I LOVED Avengers Forever and Ultron Unlimited, and I'm really excited to read Kang Dynasty. They all heavily feature a couple of my absolute favorite comic villains, and he's done a great job with them so far. It makes me want to read his Thunderbolts stuff, too.

BOO-SEE-EHK?
BYOO-SEEK?

Anyway, I'm reading through his Avengers run from the late 90s and early 00s and I'm thoroughly engaged. I skipped the Wrecking Crew issues that weren't written by him. I'm about to finish the Kulan Gath arc, right before the Kang Dynasty. I get the impression that his depth of knowledge about the Marvel universe is vast, which opens all sorts of paths to explore that I would likely never even know existed, plus I think he does a super job of laying the groundwork for stories throughout the run that lead to satisfying confrontations and conclusions later on. I LOVED Avengers Forever and Ultron Unlimited, and I'm really excited to read Kang Dynasty. They all heavily feature a couple of my absolute favorite comic villains, and he's done a great job with them so far. It makes me want to read his Thunderbolts stuff, too.

"I was saying 'BOO-siek'"

(I say Byoosiek)

IVX

Dazzler and Emma taking down Black Bolt was genius. This was much less "DRAW FIGHTING" and much more "Oh here are interesting smart conflicts.

WHAT IS HAPPENING???

TheFlow

Banned
Venom #1

ah they are making the symbiote the victim this time. Also this host is ruthless.

Unworthy Thor #2

this shaping up to be one hell of a mini series. I didn't know the collector was so savage.

him and the other guy i think.

where were they hiding these amazing ideas?????
Even in Death of X they had some creative stuff at the end
such as using Alchemy, knowing how resistant to psionics the Royal Family is, etc
. The problem is that DoX was not only very heavily locked down by editorial, but it was also writing in reverse, meaning they wrote something that happened a year after the fact and after everyone had moved past it.

I'll have to pick it up ASAP then

ASM Renew Your Vows #2 was very good. It's nice to have a grown Peter by a different creative team again. Enjoying the family angle a lot too. Bringing MJ into the mix really helps to separate it from Batman and Superman raising their children and fighting crime.

Hawkeye #1 was... OK. Not bad or anything but not crazy about it. I'll give it one more issue to grab me.

ASM Renew Your Vows #2 was very good. It's nice to have a grown Peter by a different creative team again. Enjoying the family angle a lot too. Bringing MJ into the mix really helps to separate it from Batman and Superman raising their children and fighting crime.

Hawkeye #1 was... OK. Not bad or anything but not crazy about it. I'll give it one more issue to grab me.

I didn't like how the Hawkeye touches were done in the computer lettering, and not built into the art.

otherwise, great stuff.

#MarvelsBackBaby

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man #10

yep this is Bendis best book right now. Probably one of the most powerful spider-man issues I have ever read. I don't want to see anyone else write Miles.

Power man and Iron fist #11

this series has definitely taken on a whole different tone thanks to the events of civil war. This issue was more of big setup. I didn't mind it because it is not everyday a cape book goes into depth when it comes to the bad guys. The book just feels more serious nowadays. I miss the jokes and fun of the first arc. Still a solid book though.

Oh my God Squirrel Girl 15 is nuts. Pun intended

My boy Taskmaster getting serious and soloing Hulk Captain America Miss Marvel America Chavez Hellcat Spider-Man Iron Man Squirrel Girl and more.

You know, I have a lot of respect for Giuseppe Camuncoli. He's clearly a workhorse who stays on schedule, his action scenes look fantastic, his "camera work" and composition are phenomenal. BUT man. An artist who does everything well EXCEPT faces really breaks the deal. Women especially, he has a hard time mixing up, and Anna Marie just looks like a child. Actually, it seems like he rushes faces a lot and they just don't look good. When he puts more time in, and there's more detail, he CAN do well.

TheFlow

Banned
Captain America: Steve Rogers #7

the perfect issue that proves Red Skull has what it takes to actually succeed this time. The plot twist at the end was cray.

Nick spencer is putting in work at marvel. They better never let him go.

this is not a battle of brawn but a batle of wits between red skull and cap.
detail.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

the perfect issue that proves Red Skull has what it takes to actually succeed this time. The plot twist at the end was cray.

Nick spencer is putting in work at marvel. They better not never let him go.

detail.jpg

So, you'd like him to leave eventually?

:}}

TheFlow

Banned
So, you'd like him to leave eventually?

:}}
that was a grammar mistake. meant to say don't let him go.

I mean if he feels he can produce a better story elsewhere then so be it but I love his stuff with the cap books, and feel he can tackle other books at marvel once he is done with them.

I feel like I am learning while reading his books.

Spider-Man #10

yep this is Bendis best book right now. Probably one of the most powerful spider-man issues I have ever read. I don't want to see anyone else write Miles.

+1

Like, I haven't been that particularly fond of the Civil War event, but I've found Miles' tie-in's to be pretty strong.

I'm also excited for that Spider-Gwen crossover coming up. I really enjoyed the Spider-Women crossover from earlier this year so it should be a fun read.

TheFlow

Banned
+1

Like, I haven't been that particularly fond of the Civil War event, but I've found Miles' tie-in's to be pretty strong.

I'm also excited for that Spider-Gwen crossover coming up. I really enjoyed the Spider-Women crossover from earlier this year so it should be a fun read.

a lot of the civil war tie ins made a lot of books more serious about social/justice issues but Spider-man is one of the few that executed it amazingly. I am also extremely eager for the cross over. I plan to read some Gwen spidey as well to prepare.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
that was a grammar mistake. meant to say don't let him go.

I mean if he feels he can produce a better story elsewhere then so be it but I love his stuff with the cap books, and feel he can tackle other books at marvel once he is done with them.

I feel like I am learning while reading his books.

Yeah, I love his two cap books too. Didn't think Ant-Man was all that great, though.

I'm almost angry that Land is on an exceptionally good Avengers book and his art isn't even that bad. It almost makes all of my dislike for him unjustified.

Is good shit mayne
That first page is nothing remotely special but that fighting is hmm good... damn. Doesn't look stilted or forced. Where the fuck has this Land been

Nick spencer is putting in work at marvel. They better never let him go.

detail.jpg
Who did the cover?

Hagi

Yeah, I love his two cap books too. Didn't think Ant-Man was all that great, though.

Ant-Man just meandered on till it finished, which is a shame as I really did like it to start with. I haven't touched either of his Cap books properly but it's nice to see them so well regarded.

TheFlow

Banned
Nova #1

well that was fun. Same seems more obnoxious in this new issue than what I can recall from his original run. Not necessarily a bad thing though, and it did deliver the lulz when tried to talking to the new girl. The colorist and penciler put in some work this issue. I liked richards's panels and the last two panels were beautiful. I am excited about this book.

Moon Knight #9

hands down a defining moment for the Moon knight character. Lemire was able to handle it well. The way the art and color changed was amazing! The chapter felt short, but man did it get through the point. No more games, no more bs, it is time to end this.

One of the few books were Bellaire gets to truly shine as a colorist.

That first page is nothing remotely special but that fighting is hmm good... damn. Doesn't look stilted or forced. Where the fuck has this Land been

Who did the cover?
Jesus Saiz

saving my ant-man read for next year.

Messi

Nova #1

well that was fun. Same seems more obnoxious in this new issue than what I can recall from his original run. Not necessarily a bad thing though, and it did deliver the lulz when tried to talking to the new girl. The colorist and penciler put in some work this issue. I liked richards's panels and the last two panels were beautiful. I am excited about this book.

Moon Knight #9

hands down a defining moment for the Moon knight character. Lemire was able to handle it well. The way the art and color changed was amazing! The chapter felt short, but man did it get through the point. No more games, no more bs, it is time to end this.

One of the few books were Bellaire gets to truly shine as a colorist.

Jesus Saiz

saving my ant-man read for next year.

Doesn't Jordie only colour 1/3 of it. Only the smallwood stuff. She definitely doesn't colour Francavilla.

TheFlow

Banned
Doesn't Jordie only colour 1/3 of it. Only the smallwood stuff. She definitely doesn't colour Francavilla.

I wasn't sure! if so then I retract my statement.

Lemire and Co have outdone themselves though. This arc was better than the last while still upping the crazy, and delivering a a great finish to the arc.

up their with Vision and deadly class when it comes to my favorite arc this year.

BOO-SEE-EHK?
BYOO-SEEK?

BOO-SEE-EHK is what I've always said. His run was what got me into comics as a kid and i think it still holds up today. I love the first arc and have a soft spot for any Avengers book that spends a healthy amount of time selecting a roster, so I still get a kick out of those issues.

I actually kind of like the idea that character stuff for Cap, Iron Man and Thor was happening in their own books, so the Avengers should focus on the rest of the team. I think that did wonders for Scarlet Witch and Vision, and I loved Justice and Firestar on the team as the newbies, so I was a little bummed at the roster shakeup.

Ultron Unlimited is definitely the high point. I love the kind of silver age feel in modern trappings the book has and Perez is the GOAT, when I think of "The Avengers" I think of his designs and that team, it's a good send off to that era.

TheFlow

Banned
Jessica jones #3

From the opening panel to the very end hell even the summary for the next issue was just one big tease. Least we know kidnapped her.My suspicions were right though
she knows something that could hurt her family and is trying to protect them in good ole Jessica fashion

Bendis might take forever to make stuff happen in his books but I am somehow enjoying all of his stuff right now.

Cage #2
since I just read Jones why not Cage.
Honestly I try not to use gifs nowadays but damn this issue blew my mind. My personal favorite for the week.
tumblr_nw4pgfIXe11rvzbdgo1_500.gif

#3 coming this month.

The colors! The action! the facial expressions! the dialog! Omg. #1 was questionable due the stereotypes, but this issue takes that all out of play. Like damn.

It honestly felt like I was watching a cartoon. Fans of Samurai Jack need to read this asap. probably the most fun mini series you will read this year.

Rogue One: Better than TFA(which I thought was a 3/5). Music is unremarkable aside from Williams' themes. Vader is a BAMF and I think his HQ was
on Mustafar going by them not naming the planet
. A bit too much "Ah ha!" nostalgia.

Owzers

I kinda want to see Rogue One in theaters even after not liking The Force Awakens much. I might just wait for the next main wars though...because i hate theaters. Rented Don't Breath, that's a movie.

Comics-Gaf-Question: If all of the floppies you have stored away were gone the next day, would you actually miss them?

Top Bottom