• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Sandfox

Argh, I really wish I didn't have to buy the DC Holiday Special digitally.

How's Gwenpool Holiday Special? Will probably buy that, too, if it's any good. Keep in mind I haven't read any Gwenpool.

YES. Incredible.
Gwenpool Holiday Special is really funny.

Adnor

Banned
Updated a Uncanny Avengers scene so it makes more sense after IvX #1

EurCwqQ.png

the life of pablo was a bad album with flashes of greatness and that is the perfect album to associate with carol's tenure as captain marvel

ps: come at me

Nobody is going to come after you. In a world of hot takes, your post is an Arctic tundra. Everyone agrees that album is trash, even Kanye.

Please be good, Hawkeye!

Owzers

Dcbs hasn't updated my next shipment items, if something happens to my holiday gwenpool issue I'm cancelling Christmas.

tkscz

So I'm just getting into reading Superwoman. Nice read but why did they choose such an ugly armor for Natasha? Her black and white armor was so slick. The colors complement each other so well and it's just over detailed enough to look beautiful.

Owzers

If you'd gone digital, you could be reading it right now. I am.

i can't justify the price of new release digital comics, especially when the marvel ones come with codes. Maybe i'll email dcbs friday if it doesn't update, it's all this weeks books that aren't in yet, maybe they got slowed.

Maybe comics are over and they are just letting me know.

Does it include new issues as well? Like would they be available right away or have to wait a bit?

Like I said, six month delay on new releases. The post everything coming out on a weekly basis, it's just six months after it released.

i can't justify the price of new release digital comics, especially when the marvel ones come with codes. Maybe i'll email dcbs friday if it doesn't update, it's all this weeks books that aren't in yet, maybe they got slowed.

Maybe comics are over and they are just letting me know.

I think all comics are overpriced, tbh, but I think you're overvaluing physical books over their digital counterparts. I suppose you're getting a decent discount through DCBS, but it's not like your floppies are valuable after you read them. You have to store that shit, lack the on the go convenience of a tablet, and honestly digital books look better. They pop off the screen.

GhaleonEB

I'm back to trying to find another clutch of comics for my daughter, who loves the Marvel movies and is just starting to get into the comics. At this thread's suggestion back in August, I got here three tpb's:

For her birthday she got the new Ms. Marvel Vol 1, Thor Vol 1: The Goddess of Thunder, and Captain America, Vol. 1: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection (which she really liked).

I'm looking for a nice big compendium story, something relatively stand alone, though I know there are lots of recurring stories and characters. But I'm hoping you guys can help me with some options.

Given the trajectory of the MCU movies, I thought something with the Avengers and the infinity stones might be good, so I looked to The Infinity Guantlet, but there's also Infinity War, Infinity War: Aftermath and the giant compendium Infinity, which seems unrelated but some reviews I've read say it's a decent entry point given how large it is. That's what I'm leaning toward right now - is it a good option? Needless to say I'm clueless.

I realize these are all stories with running characters and recurring plot lines, so she might be a bit lost, but I'm hoping to find something that is comprehensible to someone familiar with many of the characters, at least. Any advice is welcome, I'm trying to put in an order tonight.

VanWinkle

I'm back to trying to find another clutch of comics for my daughter, who loves the Marvel movies and is just starting to get into the comics. At this thread's suggestion back in August, I got here three tpb's:

For her birthday she got the new Ms. Marvel Vol 1, Thor Vol 1: The Goddess of Thunder, and Captain America, Vol. 1: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection (which she really liked).

I'm looking for a nice big compendium story, something relatively stand alone, though I know there are lots of recurring stories and characters. But I'm hoping you guys can help me with some options.

Given the trajectory of the MCU movies, I thought something with the Avengers and the infinity stones might be good, so I looked to The Infinity Guantlet, but there's also Infinity War, Infinity War: Aftermath and the giant compendium Infinity, which seems unrelated but some reviews I've read say it's a decent entry point given how large it is. That's what I'm leaning toward right now - is it a good option? Needless to say I'm clueless.

I realize these are all stories with running characters and recurring plot lines, so she might be a bit lost, but I'm hoping to find something that is comprehensible to someone familiar with many of the characters, at least. Any advice is welcome, I'm trying to put in an order tonight.

Does she like Guardians of the Galaxy? Abnett and Lanning's run was great. It's collected in two complete collection paperbacks, or one omnibus. I just don't think those infinity books are very good as standalone books. Requires a decent bit of cosmic Marvel knowledge.

PsychBat!

Banned

I strongly do not recommend Infinity War and Infinity. Infinity War is a chore to read with many uninteresting gears in motion that do nothing to advance the plot. And it's a sequel to Infinity Gauntlet, so you're expected to know the characters and the relationships beforehand. Infinity Gauntlet is a perfect standalone story however, you don't have to read anything prior (The Thanos Quest is excellent though, I recommend it if you are interested in seeing how Thanos operates and what drives him plus how he gets the gems). All you need to know is that he has the Infinity Gems and has put them on his own gauntlet, hence the name. Adam Warlock assembles Earth's heroes and the cosmic pantheon to stop Thanos' mad bid to win Death's heart. It still holds up 25 years later.

Infinity on the other hand is entirely unrelated to those stories. Infinity is really an arc that runs through Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, but Marvel has made the silly mistake of labeling it as a standalone event. There are the core solo issues such as Infinity #1-6, but do not be fooled, reading the Avengers/New Avengers is absolutely necessary. Here's an image to better explain what I'm saying.
Risky to read just Infinity as you will be confused to what is happening entirely.

Hope I helped. :D

VanWinkle

YES. This DC Holiday Special is awesome so far. Love the Dini/Charritier frame, and the Superman/Batman story was utterly wonderful.

Kevinroc

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #2: Still a fun book but I miss the backups. I wish there was a way they could be a regular thing...maybe we could get some more stories like that in an annual?

There are some family dynamics I was concerned about starting to show up here: "this fight is too dangerous for you" is a subject that gets tossed around a LOT between various members of the Parker family in this issue. I'm hoping Conway sees this as a necessary topic for the book to address and that he will dispense with it quickly. We do seem to be headed towards
Annie saving the day
, so that's a possibility.

Quick question though. I thought this was
like the universe where Regent killed everyone and stole their powers...is that not turning out to be the case
? I guess we will probably know for sure here in short order.

It is and it isn't. Regent killing everyone happened on Battleworld. In the actual RYV universe, Regent was a blip on the radar who didn't kill all the superheroes and was defeated by the Parkers.

I'm surprised to discover that I just don't care much about Rebirth Superman. Everyone loves it... and why not? Classic Supes. Plus an adorable kid. The whole sweet family thing. I read the Batman/Damien issues and I should have been loving it. But I didn't.

I like fun comics. Moon Girl. Squirrel Girl. Jonsey. Deadpool. But I thought Rebirth Superman was... well, kinda stupid. Oops.

Dalek

Squirrel Girl! It's the best!

I'm surprised to discover that I just don't care much about Rebirth Superman. Everyone loves it... and why not? Classic Supes. Plus an adorable kid. The whole sweet family thing. I read the Batman/Damien issues and I should have been loving it. But I didn't.

I like fun comics. Moon Girl. Squirrel Girl. Jonsey. Deadpool. But I thought Rebirth Superman was... well, kinda stupid. Oops.

Have you read Gwenpool yet LM?

The best Infinity Stones story is still Infinity Gauntlet but that's got an old-fashioned style that didn't pop up in our last batch of recs. It is dialogue and exposition heavy and filled with characters she won't know. That said it's super rad so you should go for it anyway, take a shot.

Psych is right, the other two are no good. Infinity War is bad and Infinity sits smack dab in the middle of Hickman's Avengers saga, which is awesome but huge.

If she liked Thor or Ms. Marvel the next volumes of those are even better, so that's one option. If she liked Winter Soldier, the character, Brubaker went on to write a book that was just called Winter Soldier that I thought was good. It's standalone and 19 issues total so probably three trades? If she liked Winter Soldier because of the spy angle, the new Black Widow (by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee) is really cool, stands alone...it's a little adult, but not really more so than Captain America: Winter Soldier.

Lessee what else. It's hard to come up with Avengers stuff because so much of it weaves in and out of all the events these days. But one recent story that might work is Avengers: Rage of Ultron, which is its own thing and features a lot of characters from the movies. Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe has tons of characters in it, is a lot of fun and a great introduction to Squirrel Girl. Who is, indeed, the best.

Batgirl: Year One is a REALLY great comic if you want to try DC (though it sounds like you mostly want Marvel).

Good luck! I hope she gets some stuff she likes!

Dalek

The best Infinity Stones story is still Infinity Gauntlet but that's got an old-fashioned style that didn't pop up in our last batch of recs. It is dialogue and exposition heavy and filled with characters she won't know. That said it's super rad so you should go for it anyway, take a shot.

Psych is right, the other two are no good. Infinity War is bad and Infinity sits smack dab in the middle of Hickman's Avengers saga, which is awesome but huge.

Gonna edit in a couple recs. On my phone

Don't forget Infinity crusade!

Hoofa

You really nailed it with that birthday, great stuff. If she enjoyed Thor, Jason Aaron's other book that he writes at Marvel, Dr. Strange is really really good. It has nothing to do with the infinity stones, but it's probably a safe bet now to follow down the path she's started, if she liked the writing on Thor, Strange is probably a good bet. I concur with Echo's recommendation of more Winter Soldier too. Again, you know she likes Bru, and the actual run itself is great. Haven't tried Black Widow yet unfortunately, but it's had great reviews.

Could always look at some spider stuff with the upcoming movie. Spiderman by Bendis, Spider-Gwen by Latour, something like that.

That first page is nothing remotely special but that fighting is hmm good... damn. Doesn't look stilted or forced. Where the fuck has this Land been
Somewhere we can never go. Hopefully this Land comes back for Weapon X with Pak. I feel like Land's quality at this point completely depends on the writer. Ewing is better than Bunn confirmed.
Comics-Gaf-Question: If all of the floppies you have stored away were gone the next day, would you actually miss them?
For my completed runs that either haven't been collected, or are hard to acquire, or just for my completed runs in general: yes. For some single issues that are particularly old or were gifts or personal favorites of mine: yes. For issues of an incomplete run of a series that was dropped for a reason: fuck no. I have a lot of all three, so for the most part yes.
TecHoe
today I found out that one of the shops I go so straight-up did not order Uber: Invasion #1 and that is fucked up enough that I had to share
also fucked up how I get made fun of for stanning for WicDiv, when I could be made fun of for stanning for the King/Finch/Janin/Bellaire Batman run, the theatrical cut of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, David Ayer's Suicide Squad, the Humphries/Garney Uncanny X-Force run, and COUNTLESS OTHER, ACTUALLY FAR MORE INDEFENSIBLE THINGS

this is what I do when I do not post in this thread, by the way

https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/16342-hentai-as-an-art-form/
I feel like you're having a rough day big guy.
Oh man. Do I HAVE to stay for Teen Titans now? Daaaaamn it.

Damn. I'm excited because I like pretty much everyone involved.
I'm excited because JLA spins out of it and I'm super jacked for that.
Yo, weird ass late ass question

How did ya'll feel about orginal sin
Any book that gives me this:
Can't possibly be bad.
I've never read Trinity War, but I got the feeling they really didn't know where to take the story. They know what they're doing this time, plus it's contained and will only last two months. Plus I'm pretty much a fan of all the writers and like the artist involved. The story has me interested, particularly the third party too. I'm all in.
Trinity War was a boring clusterfuck. Forever Evil was great, though.
Hey folks, I'm looking to pick up a Christmas present for a friend of mine and was hoping for some recommendations of some of the best Batman or X-Men books of the last 5 years. Thanks.
Spurrier's X-Force and Bendis' All-New X-Men AND his Uncanny X-Men were all pretty great. Spider-Man and the X-Men was another great book. Like, it was super good. Like, real fucking good.
Updated a Uncanny Avengers scene so it makes more sense after IvX #1

EurCwqQ.png
Real talk: Duggan writes a good Rogue. Most writers tend to write one of three different Rogues: Angry brawler, mopey introvert, or southern sweetheart. I feel like Duggan manages to blend all three pretty well, and taps into the leadership skills she's acquired over the years.

X-Factor is starting to get too time travely. I feel like this story is starting to get away from PAD a bit.
Is that when it starts to get into Messiah Complex? Because I thought that was a cool storyline.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I went with Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why, Infinity Gauntlet, and Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe because that sounds amazing. As always, I was clueless.

I'll grab the Winter Soldier collection for her birthday next year, with the next batch. At this rate Marvel Unlimited might not be far behind. Appreciated!

DC Rebirth Holiday Special did a pretty great job of emulating a holiday variety show, including running about twenty minutes longer than it should have and awkwardly acknowledging the holidays that are not Christmas. Even the framing device seems to know when the book has overstayed its welcome, because that's the precise moment when it vanishes.

But for the most part this is sweet holiday fun. I even enjoyed Harley playing host. There were only two stories I truly didn't like. The first was the Batwoman story which is barely a holiday story at all, boo! And it features a mysterious dessert which shapeshifts and changes size and...is obviously a piece of cake, right? This drove me crazy. That is cake, Batwoman. That's cake.

The other story I didn't like featured Detective Chimp, aka the most overexposed ape in comics. I hated it for completely obvious reasons

My favorites were Jon/Damian and the Flash which both made me go DAWWWW which is what these stories are supposed to do, so good job to those stories

Okay I kind of liked the Bat Chimp story

tim1138

DC Rebirth Holiday Special did a pretty great job of emulating a holiday variety show, including running about twenty minutes longer than it should have and awkwardly acknowledging the holidays that are not Christmas. Even the framing device seems to know when the book has overstayed its welcome, because that's the precise moment when it vanishes.

But for the most part this is sweet holiday fun. I even enjoyed Harley playing host. There were only two stories I truly didn't like. The first was the Batwoman story which is barely a holiday story at all, boo! And it features a mysterious dessert which shapeshifts and changes size and...is obviously a piece of cake, right? This drove me crazy. That is cake, Batwoman. That's cake.

The other story I didn't like featured Detective Chimp, aka the most overexposed ape in comics. I hated it for completely obvious reasons

My favorites were Jon/Damian and the Flash which both made me go DAWWWW which is what these stories are supposed to do, so good job to those stories

Okay I kind of liked the Bat Chimp story

You are dead to me

Top Bottom