• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Yeeeesssss, my Black Friday Christmas present to myself arrived early:
img_33642euf9.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Detective Comics #943

Astounding issue! Tynion is giving each character a chance to shine. What he is doing with clayface is something to take note of . Haven't read much of Luke Fox but I like him.

Detective Comics #944
Beautiful alt cover.
Detective-Comics-944-2-600x923.jpg

That Batwing suit up was fucking awesome! sure he acts like iron man but I don't care. The first victims are such a fascinating concept and man is the execution done at a high level in this issue. The art team does a great job of making them haunting and nothing to mess with.

Detectice Comics #945
ok Detective comics is killing it right now when it comes to variants
The action took a back seat in this chapter and I don't mind that one bit. Tynion and Barrows are doing something great. The team is battling grief, both over Tim and past sins. The first victims exposing the flaws of Gotham's greatest protectors .

I am loving this arc.

Detective Comics #943

Astounding issue! Orlando is giving each character a chance to shine. What he is doing with clayface is something to take note of . Haven't read much of Luke Fox but I like him.

Detective Comics #944
wBeautiful alt cover.
Detective-Comics-944-2-600x923.jpg

That Batwing suit up was fucking awesome! sure he acts like iron man but I don't care. The first victims are such a fascinating concept and man is the execution done at a high level in this issue. The art team does a great job of making them haunting and nothing to mess with.

Detectice Comics #945
ok Detective comics is killing it right now when it comes to variants

The action took a back seat in this chapter and I don't mind that one bit. Orlando is doing something great. The team is battling grief, both over Tim and past sins. The first victims exposing the flaws of Gotham's greatest protectors .

I am loving this arc.
Orlando's doing all that work? What's Tynion doing then?

Boogiepop

Huh. Well then, that's... huh. Just finished off that final trade of Justice League 3001, and it just kind of stops. That is a crazy amount of plot threads left hanging, and no conclusion whatsoever, just punting the two characters who were probably most usable in general terms to modern DC so I guess they could be used in the future if need be (I'm guessing nobody's touched them since yet, right?) Just out of curiosity, how much of an advanced notice do Marvel/DC actually give to a creative staff when a book end up being cancelled? Like, I know it's "easier" due to the quicker turnaround on page count, but I know Shonen Jump generally lets their creators know in advance enough that they can roughly scrap together some semblance of an ending to the work. Whereas this kind of felt like they didn't know until it came time for the last issue, and then they were stuck in a position where they really couldn't reasonably resolve things at all.

TheFlow

Banned
Ultimates Squared #1

dropped.

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Surpreme #2
actually a pretty decent issue, but I just don't care for strange related books anymore.

dropped

now that I am almost back to my full pull list I have realized that some stuff isn't worth the money.

dan2026

Damn can't even remember where I read up to on civil war 2.
With all the delays I fell of it now I can't remember where I got to.
Fuck maybe it's not even worth finishing.

tim1138

Huh. Well then, that's... huh. Just finished off that final trade of Justice League 3001, and it just kind of stops. That is a crazy amount of plot threads left hanging, and no conclusion whatsoever, just punting the two characters who were probably most usable in general terms to modern DC so I guess they could be used in the future if need be (I'm guessing nobody's touched them since yet, right?) Just out of curiosity, how much of an advanced notice do Marvel/DC actually give to a creative staff when a book end up being cancelled? Like, I know it's "easier" due to the quicker turnaround on page count, but I know Shonen Jump generally lets their creators know in advance enough that they can roughly scrap together some semblance of an ending to the work. Whereas this kind of felt like they didn't know until it came time for the last issue, and then they were stuck in a position where they really couldn't reasonably resolve things at all.

Apparently the Terri in the past stuff has been picked up in Blue Beetle. I don't read that book so I dunno to what degree though.

Once Porter left JL3K1 it felt like the book was just kinda phoned in, it's final issue was such a huge disappointment. It didn't sell well at all, so I'm sure the cancellation was no surprise to anyone and they had plenty of notice. It seems like most of those DCYou books were understood to be 12 issue runs though, so who knows what they were thinking.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that Captain Marvel art makes me full of joy

Detective Comics #946 is either a great comic or a bad one. I'm never going to look at this team the same way again after this issue, and I honestly can't tell if it's intended to have that much of an impact? I need to see how it plays out next issue, and perhaps even after that.

One thing I will be watching for is if Tynion ever acknowledges that, of
the four members of the Victim Syndicate taken down in this issue, three are taken down by exploiting the fact that they are victims. To some extent this is excusable, the Victim Syndicate have killed people and need to be stopped. It just feels entirely unnecessary for the team to do this. The only member of the Syndicate they don't completely outclass in every way is the First Victim and Batman has him occupied for the entire issue. With the other members of the Syndicate also isolated they could easily be physically overpowered. Batwoman, to her credit, is the only member of the team that does not exploit her opponent's victimhood, in her fight with Madame Crow...who she is able to defeat because her enemy completely underestimates just how damaged the average Bat-person is. They are so far beyond "afraid of what will happen if they stop." Generally speaking, this is a group of people without powers who fling themselves off rooftops every night fighting a never-ending war on crime and constantly losing ground despite infinite resources. (Tim has always been the exception, incidentally, one of the reasons I have never cared for him, and it is this that makes Spoiler's heel turn feel inevitable from the moment she first appears in this issue...though, we will see if that is really her or just a fake-out). Their mental workings would be totally foreign to the average person.

The first couple of times are not that bad, and at least Clayface knows he's being an asshole? That's a good sign. But then Batwing swoops in and proudly declares that his army of nanobots is headed into Mister Noxious' bloodstream to try and cure him...that "it probably won't work, but it'll be very painful, I promise you that." WTF. An agonizing medical procedure being forced on a mentally ill person without anesthesia...with, lol, a low chance of success. Batwing, what a hero. You couldn't have just drop kicked him dude

So I'm gonna have to see how that plays out.
What Batwing did was abominable
...it's hard to tell at this point if Tynion recognizes that or not.

Been way behind on comics and finally got some catching up done. As far as I know these are all the most recent of these books excluding this week.

All-New Wolverine

This issue annoyed the hell out of me. The double cross was obvious and in the end kind of stupid. She turned her in to the people she was going after anyways? Then it all kick off by "I heard that.". You heard the kids screaming? You heard her talking about it? This issue was just all around dumb to me.

Deadpool

The more this book gets away from the Mercs for Money the more I end up actually liking it as a continuing story and less like a straight comedic book. Not saying I didn't like the whole mercenary group arc, I just liked it for a different reason.

Champions

This is not what I wanted from my young heroes team up book. I don't have a problem with what this is and I don't really hate it. It's just not really what I want. This issue seemed just so weird and out of place to me. It's just weird to see kid heroes suddenly flying across the world to help out with real world issues. By the end of the issue you could have either had the team joking or you could have just as likely seen one of them get shot and killed and I don't know that I wouldn't have expected either to actually happen. It's just a weird situation to have these heroes in and it's not really what I want from it.

Ninjak

I have a weird relationship with this book. Every issue I have read has either been a sort of set up issue, or a crazy issue with a lot happening but me really not understanding it fully. This issue was finally following up on something I understood but it felt like mostly a set up issue. At least it had some pretty cool action and art.

Moon Knight

Well that was sad and sort of sweet.

Clone Conspiracy

I really hope a lot of these people die by the end of this.

TheFlow

Banned

solid chapter. using the first victim's weakness as an advantage was smart. They might be dangerous, but they still lack combat experience that Team Detective has.

Best part about this arc is that Steph is actually the victim of all this. I think if Batman can reach her he can make some things better.

Echo: it is clear Batwing is a dick and doesn't quite get what being a hero is all about

Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers is great. A shame that it was so short. I felt like there was a lot they could have done with the team. So many members feel underutilized, but only AS team members, if that makes sense. Blade for example, eventually breaks from the team. He's still very important, but not as part of the team so much as just for the plot. And since I read the first trade of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers (same book, just after Sam Wilson became Cap), I know that he doesn't stick around for a book that he SHOULD have stuck around for. This especially sucks because Luke talks about how they've been at this for months, but the book makes it seem like maybe one month AT MOST.

Ewing's ability to take characters no one is using and make them into something special is amazing. Genuinely one of my favorite writers as of now.

GhaleonEB

All you really need there is Infinity Gauntlet, don't worry about any of the other Infinities.

Is she familiar with X-Men? There are a lot of FANTASTIC long form fun X-Men stories
Asgardian Saga
Dark Phoenix Saga (the book that literally got me into superhero comics)
Inferno
Schism

I think the original Civil War is a pretty solid crossover adventure. Siege is fun too.

EDIT: The Squirrel Girl OGN was an excellent choice. :)

Bookmarked for the next go round. Thanks!

So I'm catching up on Supernatural S12. Started with E5 (since I'd already watched 1-4), and holy shit they did one of the most comic book things
the Thule Society resurrected Hitler using the blood of a descendant of his and then Dean killed Hitler.

This show is fucking bonkers and WHY IS IT GOOD AGAIN. FUCK.
Huh? I didn't post the image on mobile.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying.

What he means is, because I am on mobile right now, the image you posted is not spoiled. It doesn't work for me.
Yeah. Bad wording on my part.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck?

Top Bottom