• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Really a shame about Legend of WW. Read the first volume when it was digital - somebody here recommended it to me actually - straight through and loved it

Thank you whoever that was

Sanford greene asked me what I want for my commission.

I am thinking luke cage and iron fist or black panther

giphy.gif

TheFlow

Banned
Eh. Considering how many Batman and Superman books come out in a year, I don't think it's that bad. She's another pillar of DC, same as them.
True m. All I know is year one burnt me out ok Wonder Woman origin stories for a bit. Like rebirth talks about how her origin is told so many times and that is exactly what we got this year.

Boogiepop

My question with all this terrigen cloud nonsense is... why can't they have been, like, sucking it up or something? Especially with all the tech in the universe, plus the fact that they've had so much time to solve it, seemingly, you'd think they could manage that. Like, it's one big old cloud that they're already tracking and following, doesn't seem like it would be that crazy to just keep taking and storing it bit by bit. But I guess the easy answer is because that's what the plot calls for, so you just have to roll with it.

Also, just to confirm: IvX is an event with tie-ins like most of them, so I can just buy the main issues, correct? This isn't a Battle of the Atom/Archie Sonic/Mega Man crossovers/whatever else style thing where it's effectively using the other series as parts of its whole to slot in, right? IE I can skip anything not titled "IvX Issue #X", right?

My question with all this terrigen cloud nonsense is... why can't they have been, like, sucking it up or something? Especially with all the tech in the universe, plus the fact that they've had so much time to solve it, seemingly, you'd think they could manage that. Like, it's one big old cloud that they're already tracking and following, doesn't seem like it would be that crazy to just keep taking and storing it bit by bit. But I guess the easy answer is because that's what the plot calls for, so you just have to roll with it.

Also, just to confirm: IvX is an event with tie-ins like most of them, so I can just buy the main issues, correct? This isn't a Battle of the Atom/Archie Sonic/Mega Man crossovers/whatever else style thing where it's effectively using the other series as parts of its whole to slot in, right? IE I can skip anything not titled "IvX Issue #X", right?

The Inhumans consider interfering with the cloud an affront to their species and there is zero political will to do anything to help mutants just like always

And I believe that's correct

True m. All I know is year one burnt me out ok Wonder Woman origin stories for a bit. Like rebirth talks about how her origin is told so many times and that is exactly what we got this year.

Oh yeah, origin stories can get tiring real quick after the initial one is told. Like how Sony keeps rebooting the Spider-Man movies. I like what they're doing with WW Rebirth, though.

TheFlow

Banned
Luke watching Danny teach Dani kung fu

Or is it considered poor form to ask for something really specific? I never do this

I thought so
Well he said be specific. I think I asked for too much because you just inspired me to ask for training scenerio.

edit: I just gave him like 4 ideas I thought of. to see what he thinks.

Oh yeah, origin stories can get tiring real quick after the initial one is told. Like how Sony keeps rebooting the Spider-Man movies. I like what they're doing with WW Rebirth, though.
yep. that is why I am so burnt out on Green Goblin on the big screen. yet at the same time he is kinda crucial.

Messi

Sejic posted a blog on deviantArt. Mostly old info but this is new.

january to march i will be posting the last 3 issues of switch here for free. there is no point in printing them as the earnings would barely cover printing and distribution.
after those 3 issues are done i will sentd the trade to print.

tim1138

Well, I didn't read it. I just brought it up because Flow mentioned other WW books that came out this year. What was so bad about it?

It was a god awful portrayal of Diana. It covered her time on Themyscira right up to leaving for man's world and
portrayed as totally self absorbed, spoiled, and entitled feeling. She achieves a number of feats on the island but only to make a stable girl who ignores pay attention to her. Ultimately during the tournament to crown a champion she decides to cheat by unleashing a bunch of evil monsters she captured to tilt it in her favor. The monsters run amok and maim and kill a number of Amazons, including the stable girl. Diana is sent away from Themyscira and forced to wear the dead Amazon's armor as penance and to atone for her horrible behavior.

It pretty much runs counter to everything WW is.

Messi

Sanford greene asked me what I want for my commission.

I am thinking luke cage and iron fist or black panther

Don't pick iron fist and Luke Cage. He told me everyone asks for them and it's nice doing other things. I think you will get a better piece asking for someone else. He steered me away from PMIF to Amerikate.

TheFlow

Banned
Don't pick iron fist and Luke Cage. He told me everyone asks for them and it's nice doing other things. I think you will get a better piece asking for someone else. He steered me away from PMIF to Amerikate.

damn! well I gave him a lot of ideas including a Daredevil vs Bullseye.

The Inhumans consider interfering with the cloud an affront to their species and there is zero political will to do anything to help mutants just like always

yep. 100% correct. Old Man Logan sums up the entire conflict as well as one possibly could in IvX #1:

"If we don't destroy the cloud, we all die. If we do, what's the worst that can happen, a bunch of people stay as they are and don't get superpowers? Destroy the thing."

The inhuman position is completely ludicrous and totally indefensible.

eh...maybe not. Occasionally with these crossovers something ends up in a side book that's completely crucial to the plot. This absolutely, positively happened with Civil War II: the most relevant book in that entire arc wasn't a mainline book, it was one of the Captain America: Steve Rogers issues.

Messi

damn! well I gave him a lot of ideas including a Daredevil vs Bullseye.

Giving him a few characters and letting him pick is easily the best way to do it. I've got my best commissions this way. I gave him. America, Kate, Monica Ram, Misty

Boogiepop

That seems really, really dumb. Especially since it's not even like it's some ancient sacred mystical cloud, since it's a recent development, right? (I mean it being in cloud form, not the terrigen as a general thing, of course).

Like, hell, even without thinking too deeply on it, I don't see why both sides couldn't be satisfied with, say: Use Magneto to create large metal container, pull around cloud (or part of the cloud if it's too big for that, and if so then repeat), seal air tight, compress as needed. Storm could help "herd" it with wind control for extra ease. And then the cloud is safely contained and they can funnel it back into their mystical caverns or whatever they want (I'm not well read on Inhumans to be fair, and I also haven't read any of the stuff that sets all this stuff off in particular). And that's just using two people's powers, who are already clearly invested in the matter, much less doing something like, say, bringing in the Richards/Pym/Stark types who could whip up something even more direct and easy to use.

As is the mutants are far and away in the right, but it still seems stupid that this is somehow considered a problem that can only be solved with "let all the mutants die" or "blow up the cloud", with no other possible ways to deal with it. Also, I really, really hope they avoid having Kamala actually fully support the Inhuman side on this, even though I know that they will. She's obviously going to end up involved, but I'm hoping she'll get off with a "why are you jerks attacking my dog?!" type snap judgment fight or something like that, rather than saddling her with being on the super crappy side of this thing full force.

That seems really, really dumb. Especially since it's not even like it's some ancient sacred mystical cloud, since it's a recent development, right? (I mean it being in cloud form, not the terrigen as a general thing, of course).

Like, hell, even without thinking too deeply on it, I don't see why both sides couldn't be satisfied with, say: Use Magneto to create large metal container, pull around cloud (or part of the cloud if it's too big for that, and if so then repeat), seal air tight, compress as needed. Storm could help "herd" it with wind control for extra ease. And then the cloud is safely contained and they can funnel it back into their mystical caverns or whatever they want (I'm not well read on Inhumans to be fair, and I also haven't read any of the stuff that sets all this stuff off in particular). And that's just using two people's powers, who are already clearly invested in the matter, much less doing something like, say, bringing in the Richards/Pym/Stark types who could whip up something even more direct and easy to use.

As is the mutants are far and away in the right, but it still seems stupid that this is somehow considered a problem that can only be solved with "let all the mutants die" or "blow up the cloud", with no other possible ways to deal with it. Also, I really, really hope they avoid having Kamala actually fully support the Inhuman side on this, even though I know that they will. She's obviously going to end up involved, but I'm hoping she'll get off with a "why are you jerks attacking my dog?!" type snap judgment fight or something like that, rather than saddling her with being on the super crappy side of this thing full force.

The cloud has to be destroyed, per IVX. it's been shrinking, with the terrigen gradually dispersing into the atmosphere, soil, etc. in 2 weeks time this is going to rapidly accelerate and the entire planet will be uninhabitable. The cloud is WAAAY too big to just throw it into a cave or something- IVX #1 is showing it as somewhere around the same size as australia.

Since the inhumans simply don't care all that much about what happens to mutants because the spread of inhumans are more important- they're just not going to allow anyone to alter it period. It's not really all that unusual either- plenty of human groups have called for horrible things to be done to mutants en masse plenty of times.

edit: it should also probably be pointed out that the inhumans have been pushing the "Sacred" line frequently in regards to the cloud, but this is mostly bullshit. What they want is for the cloud to continue to roll across the population of the planet, triggering more inhumans so they add to the total known number of the species. Even if you COULD compress and can the cloud somehow, this wouldn't get them what they wanted.

TheFlow

Banned
Sheriff of Babylon #1

Welp that was a crazy strong start for a #1. Lot of Brutal scenes.

Bingo.

Think about it. I'm sure he loves PMIF but he draws it all day for work. I'd be shocked if he picked them out of a list.

Maybe Kamala. His Kamala is lovely.
oh lord I have probably spammed him too much. but I gave a solid list of my fav characters both guy and girls.

Boogiepop

The cloud has to be destroyed, per IVX. it's been shrinking, with the terrigen gradually dispersing into the atmosphere, soil, etc. in 2 weeks time this is going to rapidly accelerate and the entire planet will be uninhabitable. The cloud is WAAAY too big to just throw it into a cave or something- IVX #1 is showing it as somewhere around the same size as australia.

Since the inhumans simply don't care all that much about what happens to mutants because the spread of inhumans are more important- they're just not going to allow anyone to alter it period. It's not really all that unusual either- plenty of human groups have called for horrible things to be done to mutants en masse plenty of times.

edit: it should also probably be pointed out that the inhumans have been pushing the "Sacred" line frequently in regards to the cloud, but this is mostly bullshit. What they want is for the cloud to continue to roll across the population of the planet, triggering more inhumans so they add to the total known number of the species. Even if you COULD compress and can the cloud somehow, this wouldn't get them what they wanted.

I mean, yeah, at this point I guess there's likely little they could do, it's more that this comic literally showed at least 8 months of "top scientific minds" trying to come up with a solution, with the Inhumans bringing aboard Beast for the matter. And the alternative solutions mentioned are just things like "try to come up with a cure for all the mutants". Also, knew it was big, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to see it as THAT big. I actually haven't read how it happened, but I guess I assumed it was the terrigen they always had around, just let loose, which from half remembered knowledge I thought was in a cave or whatever (don't know my Inhumans, like I said). Regardless, it should be possible to compress it to at least some degree. So even if you say you can't compress it much for some reason, couldn't you, say, compress it down to a containment unit you set as an artificial island or something, worst case scenario?

But yeah, the Inhumans ARE generally self serving dicks in the past from what little I do know of them, yeah. But that's kind of not what IvX felt like it was selling the problem as. IE the comic boiled it down to "blow it all up" or "screw all mutants, let em die" as the only possible solutions. Not "there probably are perfectly fine solutions, but the Inhumans won't let us use any of them."

Oh, and wouldn't the "leave the planet" potential option raised in the comic also still be an issue, because mutants can be born to humans? IE, wouldn't that be leaving any new mutant born to a terrible and early death still?

Edit to catch your edit: Fair enough (though again, in the comic's pushing "oh it's a two-sided issue" crap, it doesn't come off as that being the main issue). So then, they're calling "sacred" to refuse to go back to the way things were for them before (which IIRC involved potential Inhumans willingly subjecting themselves to the mists) so they can continue to force people to awaken as Inhumans rather than letting them have a choice? Because that just pushes them even harder on the villainous scale.

Ross61

It was a god awful portrayal of Diana. It covered her time on Themyscira right up to leaving for man's world and
portrayed as totally self absorbed, spoiled, and entitled feeling. She achieves a number of feats on the island but only to make a stable girl who ignores pay attention to her. Ultimately during the tournament to crown a champion she decides to cheat by unleashing a bunch of evil monsters she captured to tilt it in her favor. The monsters run amok and maim and kill a number of Amazons, including the stable girl. Diana is sent away from Themyscira and forced to wear the dead Amazon's armor as penance and to atone for her horrible behavior.

It pretty much runs counter to everything WW is.

That kinda sounds like an interesting take on WW.

TheFlow

Banned
Last issue for the night.

Sheriff of Babylon #2

Don't have too many thoughts on the plot yet because my brain is still piecing everything together. I am loving what I am reading though. Those couple of pages are something else.

I thought It was okay but not something I had any trouble dropping when he announced he was moving it to OGN's.

It was one of the books I looked forward to when it was still, you know, coming out. It was a combination of the Sejic art and humor that made me enjoy it so much. It was a fun twist on Witchblade when the old book was so serious.

Boogiepop

While I'm on that matter of them being awful, do the Inhumans still have a straight up slave class that they use? Because my big takeaway from reading their parts in the whole Annihilation on cosmic Marvel was that holy crap, the Inhumans have a whole class of beings that they literally use as slaves, and that idea somehow survived up through at least that era of modern comics.

Edit: Alpha Primatives, I believe they were called. Or something like that.

Messi

Sheriff of Babylon #1

Welp that was a crazy strong start for a #1. Lot of Brutal scenes.

oh lord I have probably spammed him too much. but I gave a solid list of my fav characters both guy and girls.

The girl :(. Heartbreaking. I felt legitimately sick after that.

He's cool man. I was emailing back and forth for like 3 days.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok So guys this is what I am getting.

Sam Wilson and Misty

<3.

The girl :(. Heartbreaking. I felt legitimately sick after that.

He's cool man. I was emailing back and forth for like 3 days.
yea he is laid back. reminds me of comic-GAF.

Top Bottom