• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Messi

Wasn't that also the case with Death Vigil?

It still is. But Death Vigil didn't have good trade sales. But he owns the ip. He also is unable up give up on projects that he owns.He is doing Ravine Vol 3. A book that sold 250ish trades.

He is doing Death Vigil Lost Childhood and Death Vigil 2. These are apparently separate books and he doesn't know what he will do first.

It still is. But Death Vigil didn't have good trade sales. But he owns the ip. He also is unable up give up on projects. He is doing Ravine Vol 3. A book that sold 250ish trades.

Ravine was a solid book. I'm not into Fantasy so much as I used to be, but it was still good and enjoyable.

Death Vigil was so good. Can't wait for more.

Messi

Ravine was a solid book. I'm not into Fantasy so much as I used to be, but it was still good and enjoyable.

Death Vigil was so good. Can't wait for more.

Here's the blog

Deviant Art

goodbye 2016....you won't be missed
by nebezial, 1 hour and 33 minutes ago
Journals / Personal
well time to write up a journal.

this was a horrible year. in fact it came on the heels of a bad year already... i was today harshly reminded of my absence here. i guess silence doesn't do much and i just never dealt with commiseration well... however as it affects my readership i probably should lay the cards on the table and answer some frequently asked questions as well.

for the last two years i exerted myself with overworking for some very simple reasons. there were family members with somesevere health issues and i was the only one able to provide the financial backing.
so i did what i do best... i drew tilll it hurt.

at times i would produce two full color comics a month +other stuff as well.

you can only burn the candle on both ends for so long before the flames meet and you burn out.

still, i kept going beyond that point and it caused health issues for me as well. still family health problems seemed to subside. and then as some of you may know things took a dark turn and my mom died on halloween.

so yeah. fuck 2016.

i am doing better now. my arm issues have subsided, so i'm back doing what i do. i write and i draw.

so this misery of a year aside, what does 2017 have in store for us?

hell if i know, but i can tell you my plans.

many asked ybout switch and death vigil.

well, here are some harsh truths. switch and death vigil were financial failures. death vigil less than switch, but nevertheless they never found a market to put it in corporate terms. not big on that but at the end of the day, rent must be paid.

those two, alongside ravine present 3 beloved stories that i wanted to tell

so, will i tell them?

well, thanks to sunstone... yes.

sunstone , my erotic comedic romance ended up being a sucess i never expected just as it was the story i never planned on writing.

and now it is the salvation to my other projects.

so, 2017.

january to march i will be posting the last 3 issues of switch here for free. there is no point in printing them as the earnings would barely cover printing and distribution.
after those 3 issues are done i will sentd the trade to print.

switch will also be the very last standard single issue comic i produce. from here on out, i'm makinggraphic novels only. so basically full ytory in one book.

after switch is done, i will decide whether i will make death vigil lost childhood or the second volume of death vigil in 2017. may end up making a poll..who knows.

those among you curious about ravine... well, if death vigil and switch were low sellers, ravine was a financial abyss XD

truth is sales on that book were so low there is no way i could justify carrying on....

unfortunately... or fortunately, i was never a smart businessman. i do intend to make ravine volume 3, and give the series one last chance at life. there will be more info on it as 2017 progresses.

now, on the topic of tutorials and stuff like that, i started a twitch channel. i figured i could do q and a demonstrations or whatever there. microphone is still an issue but i will have that worked out very soon as well.

i don't know that's all that comes to mind right now, but if you have some additional questions, feel free to ask.

Stjepan

TheFlow

Banned
things that need to happen in 2017
Low returning

monstress back on a regular schedule

Sex criminals delivering an awesome arc.

PsychBat!

Banned
AZ21o5z.gif

While I'm on that matter of them being awful, do the Inhumans still have a straight up slave class that they use? Because my big takeaway from reading their parts in the whole Annihilation on cosmic Marvel was that holy crap, the Inhumans have a whole class of beings that they literally use as slaves, and that idea somehow survived up through at least that era of modern comics.

Edit: Alpha Primatives, I believe they were called. Or something like that.
Alpha Primitives occur through xenogenesis which is triggered via xenogen crystals. These were created and used well before the time of the current Royal Family and the xenogen was discarded somewhere around the time of The Unspoken One. An Alpha Primitive did occur during terrigenesis, but it was revealed that the reason for that was because of Maximus and even then it wasn't a typical Alpha Primitive. Later he reverted to his true Inhuman form.

They don't intentionally create them anymore, but they have no idea what to do with them, so they just continue to use the ones they have.

VanWinkle

I hate being on the same book for too long. No matter how good it is, I get anxious to finish it after a few days.

Been on Orion Omnibus for five days now and I'm only halfway through it (and it's only 25 issues long). Also been on Thor God of Thunder Vol. 2 for a couple of days, which is definitely good but not nearly as enjoyable as God Butcher/Godbomb.

Boogiepop

Alpha Primitives occur through xenogenesis which is triggered via xenogen crystals. These were created and used well before the time of the current Royal Family and the xenogen was discarded somewhere around the time of The Unspoken One. An Alpha Primitive did occur during terrigenesis, but it was revealed that the reason for that was because of Maximus and even then it wasn't a typical Alpha Primitive. Later he reverted to his true Inhuman form.

They don't intentionally create them anymore, but they have no idea what to do with them, so they just continue to use the ones they have.

It kind of seems like a messy, problematic plot thread left from some awkward old writing. Like, I tried doing a little more reading into it because it seems legitimately troubling, and yeah, it seems like the idea of it being an issue has long since existed, but got handwaved with a "oh, well they don't know anything else and aren't very smart, so it's totally okay to just use them." Which is still pretty messed up, since looking into it they DO have some modicum of intelligence, but they've just been kind of raised/bred for servitude. Looks like it's been kind of just swept under the rug and not discussed since that story in War/Realm of Kings or whatever that I read, though.

So yeah, good that they're at least not making more of them for perpetual slave labor through the ages, but it feels like a really messed up plot thread that probably should've been figured out better a good while ago, because "They have slaves, but it's okay because they like being slaves" isn't really a good look for anybody you're trying to push as heroes to any significant degree. (I do like that the synopsis I read mentioned that the UN apparently denied Attilan membership because of this issue, though).

Edit: Again though, really have limited experience with the Inhumans, so I'm not talking from a position of much knowledge at all on the specifics of the matter.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So X-Factor just jumped from #50 to #200 on me. Why didn't you jerks tell me they were missing 150 issues?!!?! :)

Also since when is Shatterstar strong enough to match strength with The Thing?

Drifter #15 is the first issue of the final arc, and I am eager to get to the finish line. Still like this book a lot but it has grown too enamoured with its own mysteries. Time to spill the beans and end it. Looking forward to reading the whole thing.

Edit: the next thing the guys are doing advertised at the end of the book? Viking murder mystery?

UH

YEAH. I WILL BUY THAT

No. I've eyed it, though. Think I'd like it?

Based on the Marvel reading list you posted yesterday, I really do.

The premise sounds goofy and takes a little getting used to: a comic book nerd falls into the Marvel universe, armed only with encyclopedic knowledge of these characters and the understanding that this is a fictional world. (You may be surprised to learn she has no relation to Deadpool or Gwen Stacy)

Give it a shot, I think you will like it. As freeza said it's gorgeous too, that certainly doesn't hurt.

It's kind of funny that I'm starting to understand the character of Wolverine only now. I'm enjoying both All-New Wolverine and, especially, Old Man Logan. Neither of these iterations are actually, you know, the most famous version, but they are the first versions jiving with me. Maybe it's just that it's been a rough year, but I relate to Old Man Logan's everything-is-shit-and-so-am-I attitude. And I find him fun. Of course, it helps a lot that Sorrentino's art work is fire.

Based on the Marvel reading list you posted yesterday, I really do.

The premise sounds goofy and takes a little getting used to: a comic book nerd falls into the Marvel universe, armed only with encyclopedic knowledge of these characters and the understanding that this is a fictional world. (You may be surprised to learn she has no relation to Deadpool or Gwen Stacy)

Give it a shot, I think you will like it. As freeza said it's gorgeous too, that certainly doesn't hurt.

Ok, I'll give it a try. Do you think I can just pick it up now starting at issue #9? I don't want to go back to the beginning unless necessary.

Ok, I'll give it a try. Do you think I can just pick it up now starting at issue #9? I don't want to go back to the beginning unless necessary.

It's not that hard to catch up, no. You are probably good if that's your preference. The latest arc started at #7 if you just want to try a couple

PsychBat!

Banned
I saw that page on reddit. I haven't read Foolkiller yet but I am now.

And Kate is described as Zooey Deschanel Hawkeye.

My life is complete.

EDIT: omg it just gets better

It kind of seems like a messy, problematic plot thread left from some awkward old writing. Like, I tried doing a little more reading into it because it seems legitimately troubling, and yeah, it seems like the idea of it being an issue has long since existed, but got handwaved with a "oh, well they don't know anything else and aren't very smart, so it's totally okay to just use them." Which is still pretty messed up, since looking into it they DO have some modicum of intelligence, but they've just been kind of raised/bred for servitude. Looks like it's been kind of just swept under the rug and not discussed since that story in War/Realm of Kings or whatever that I read, though.

So yeah, good that they're at least not making more of them for perpetual slave labor through the ages, but it feels like a really messed up plot thread that probably should've been figured out better a good while ago, because "They have slaves, but it's okay because they like being slaves" isn't really a good look for anybody you're trying to push as heroes to any significant degree. (I do like that the synopsis I read mentioned that the UN apparently denied Attilan membership because of this issue, though).

Edit: Again though, really have limited experience with the Inhumans, so I'm not talking from a position of much knowledge at all on the specifics of the matter.
Oh it's super awkward, but they haven't been brought up since before Infinity for sure. I don't remember them being brought up in War of Kings. Basically, just assume that Black Bolt accidentally killed all of them when he detonated the T-bomb

If I were Aftershock or Boom or an Image writer with money to spend I would be on the phone with Renae de Liz tomorrow. Her work is consistently stunning. I hope she lines something else up quickly.

Messi

DC did Liz dirty for that cancellation. She had to setup a go fund me to help her family. Dam.

Was gonna say they did her dirty. They gave her the green light and let her announce it a few months ago. Then pull the rug a week after the hardcover release. Feels like they were keeping her as a backup in case Rucka didn't deliver or people didn't like it.

If I were Aftershock or Boom or an Image writer with money to spend I would be on the phone with Renae de Liz tomorrow. Her work is consistently stunning. I hope she lines something else up quickly.

You need money to start an indie book. Something I imagine someone starting a go fund me after one book gets canned doesn't have.

Was gonna say they did her dirty. They gave her the green light and let her announce it a few months ago. Then pull the rug a week after the hardcover release. Feels like they were keeping her as a backup in case Rucka didn't deliver or people didn't like it.
Were digital sales good?
Oh, is the legend of Wonder Woman done now?

There was suppose to be a part 2 but DC out of nowhere cancelled it and now Liz is in financial trouble.

Sad to hear about LoWW vol 2. Got scared for it when DC announced that "past Amazons on adventures" mini since Liz had mentioned she wanted to do something like that after vol 2.
If its not about sales it might be connected to losing the UN partnership. Scaling everything DC had planned to promote women and Diana back sort of makes sense in a sad way.

Messi

Sad to hear about LoWW vol 2. Got scared for it when DC announced that "past Amazons on adventures" mini since Liz had mentioned she wanted to do something like that after vol 2.
If its not about sales it might be connected to losing the UN partnership. Scaling everything DC had planned to promote women and Diana back sort of makes sense in a sad way.

This better not be true. Makes my blood boil.

Renae DeLiz said:
It's odd feeling both thrilled at finding about my pregnancy and devastated at the loss of LoWW, Kinda like this :p https://t.co/ZK4XzEvF5y
https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz/status/809626463637041152

:/

Top Bottom