• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

The Spider-Man short in Lee/Kirby's FF was fun!

2dAmeiO.jpg

STStZ2P.jpg

Wut?

This was like explaining who the squad was and...zzzzzzzzzz.

There's a major character in the movie whose sole job is to explain these things to you because you aren't smart enough to understand that these guys are the bad guys.

I thought you were talking about this trailer for Suicide Squad.

That's better than what I saw.

There's a major character in the movie whose sole job is to explain these things to you because you aren't smart enough to understand that these guys are the bad guys.

Yuck. I'm not going to watch a trash superhero movie. I'm going to watch a trashy superhero show instead. Flash crossover event time.

Sandfox

The Spider-Man short in Lee/Kirby's FF was fun!

Wut?

That Thing face has me thinking that someone needs to put him out of his misery.

Man y'all had an actual interesting discussion without me

Sadness
To be fair the book is just starting but it is already on the same level as other great cape/team books. Night wing took a fair amount issues for me to put it above average and this coming from a dick Grayson Stan.
I think detective comics had the best first arc from rebirth but red hood is rapidly gaining.

Other great books took a bit to ramp up but red hood comes out blazing.

If red hood nails the conclusion I will probably put it at the same level as detective, Thor, cap, and the other greats.

But trust fam I didn't want to believe that this book was good but everyone was right it is worth reading.

Also vanwrinkle don't skip the rebirth issue. So good

^I read it, flow. It was great.

It's way better than his New 52 stuff, if only because it shows that he's actually a pretty good writer when characterization and tone are right. I'm very impressed.

Tragicomedy is way too harsh with his opinion on books, IMO. You definitely should try it.
I realize I may have been too hardh a judge at the Rebirth issue, but that's only because, while it felt like a good Red Hood story, it didn't feel like the previous two books, which were very different in tone from each other. I'll check out the trade. Like:
Red Hood and the Outlaws: Rebirth #1
I'm out. I have no idea who Red Hood is for anymore. I have no idea what they are attempting to do with the character anymore. This would be a solid issue if this was my first rodeo, but considering the reality that it isn't, I just don't care. I'd be fine with this if it was just a Red Hood book, because that's all this story is. All Red Hood and no Outlaws. Just like the RHatO Future's End issue. Which begs the question: Why not give Red Hood his own series? Or is this book strictly "Red Hood and the Characters We Want to Keep and Have No Idea What the Fuck to do With Them"?

Goddamn.
So yeah.
Johns' shadow still looms large over the entire franchise.

I would like them to move away from some of the spectrum stuff. Everything after Johns has felt redundant because of that. Even the crossovers are like "Character X is a Blue Lantern now! Isn't that wacky?"
They don't know what to do with some of these characters. If you have so many factions, give them their own books. Both Red Lanterns runs were dope

List!

Aliens Life and Death #4
Briggs Land #5
Raven #4
Doctor Strange #15
Gamora #1
Gwenpool #9
Invincible Iron Man #2
Mighty Captain Marvel #0
Star Wars Doctor Aphra #2
Animosity #4

Kind of surprised they're double-shipping Aphra this month.

VanWinkle

I realize I may have been too hardh a judge at the Rebirth issue, but that's only because, while it felt like a good Red Hood story, it didn't feel like the previous two books, which were very different in tone from each other. I'll check out the trade. Like:

So yeah.

They don't know what to do with some of these characters. If you have so many factions, give them their own books. Both Red Lanterns runs were dope

I actually think that it should just be a Red Hood solo book. Don't know why either DC or Lobdell feels like he can't stand on his own.

Red Lanterns by Soule is so good. Would have loved to see a series with Saint Walker.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Black Hammer #6
The Fix #7
Horizon #6
The Hunt #5
Lake of Fire #5
Animosity #4

This is a great week if for no other reason that it's the last I'll see of Horizon and The Hunt.

I actually think that it should just be a Red Hood solo book. Don't know why either DC or Lobdell feels like he can't stand on his own.
Based on what I read of the last two books, I think he'd be best used as a Moon Knight esque character. Dark Batman + mystical/supernatural
Red Lanterns by Soule is so good. Would have loved to see a series with Saint Walker.
I also liked Milligan's run previous to that AND THANK YOU. SAINT WALKER SERIES BEING ALL JEDI KUNG FU PEACEKEEPER AND SHIT.

IT'D BE SICK AS FUUUUUUUUCK

Listicle

Aquaman #13
Archie #15
Batman #13
Cage! #3
Gamora #1
Green Arrow #13
Justice League vs. Suicide Squad #1 (wtf am I getting into?)
Locke & Key Small World #1
Nightwing #11
Power Man and Iron Fist Sweet Christmas Annual #1
Star-Lord #1
Superman #13
The Fix #7
Trinity #4

Finally actually started X-23 Complete Collection Vol. 1. Reading X-Men solos is a fascinating path to go down. Emma Frost and Cyclops were both good. This should be interesting.

I'm leaning towards solanin as my favorite comic I read in 2016 but Tokyo ghost vol 2 will go down as my disappointment of the year.

Some good stuff in there but I rolled my eyes I saw the word fleek. It seems like Remender was aiming somewhere between The Dark Knight Returns and Transmet and ended squarely in "you've got a real hawk-eye" territory

Not sure if I'm being harsh but SGM seemed less interested in vol 2 than vol 1. His work just gets a bit sloppy in comparison to his work in vol 1.

Hollingsworth colors stay on fleek tho.

Billy Tan draws child X-23 with this big-ass head
Look like she gonna tip over
That CW crossover event was terrible. I legitimately should have watched Suicide Squad.
Despite giving up on the DCCW universe, I actually considered watching that.

Instead I watched Person of Interest and now I'm significantly happier. Just watched "If-Then-Else" and that's definitely one of my favorite episodes

List.

Artful 1

Animosity 4

4 Kids Walk Into a Bank 3? Maybe? It's on comiclist

Backstagers 5
Klaus and the Witch of Winter
Slam 2

Dead Inside 1
Ether 2

Aquaman 13
Batman 13
Cave Carson's Eye 3
Superman 13

TMNT Universe 5

The Fix 7
Horizon 6
Lake of Fire 5 it's over noooooo :(

Amazing Spider-Man 22
Captain America 16
Doctor Strange 15
Gamora 1
Invincible Iron RiRi 2
Mighty Captain Marvel 0
Occupy Avengers 2
Power Man and Iron Fist Sweet Christmas Annual
Silver Surfer 8
SW: Doctor Aphra 2
Star-Lord 1
Thanos 2
Ultimates Too 2
Unbelievable Gwenpool 9
Uncanny X-Men 16
Venom 2

So stoked for Marvel this week
And those lovely indies, nice stack this week. 4 Kids pls be real

I am. I like it quite a lot. Haven't gotten to #3 yet.

Such a clever title

Ooooooooooooooh, I get it. That makes a whole lotta sense now. lol

I like Eduardo Risso but, and IDK if it's just me, I don't really like the way he draws some black people. He's using way too much stereotypes like big lips. He did the same thing in 100 Bullets.

This panel for example:

W7qoW41.png

Ooooooooooooooh, I get it. That makes a whole lotta sense now. lol

I like Eduardo Risso but, and IDK if it's just me, I don't really like the way he draws some black people. He's using way too much stereotypes like big lips. He did the same thing in 100 Bullets.

I think that you're right. It's been bugging me too. And it was one of the reasons I stopped reading 100 Bullets so I'm not sure how long I will last here despite loving the premise.

Latino and Hispanic people in 100 Bullets were also often drawn in a heavily stereotyped fashion

Edit: yeah that panel. Not so good.

Not sure if I'm being harsh but SGM seemed less interested in vol 2 than vol 1. His work just gets a bit sloppy in comparison to his work in vol 1.
I think they decided to just do two volumes around issue 6 due to sales not justifying it. Was around that time SGM started posting WIP from his Batman book as well IIRC.

In general Risso's art in Moonshine (and 100 Bullets) is designed to be provocative and uncomfortable but there are panels and characters I think are hard to defend like the one Boxy posted.

No. She had zero connections with him. She had zero connections with his story. She just came out of nowhere together with all other... Moon Girls because politically correct SJW wanted so. She is not a good replacement. Bendis just pulled same trick with Miles - death of white guy and black replacement. Only exception is that now he introduced her before he killed off Iron Man.

Comicvine community is such a welcoming place.

Ross61

New Super-Man had a fantastic first arc with a great end. And that twist at the end is definitely intriguing. I'm in for the long haul.

I'm leaning towards solanin as my favorite comic I read in 2016 but Tokyo ghost vol 2 will go down as my disappointment of the year.

Some good stuff in there but I rolled my eyes I saw the word fleek. It seems like Remender was aiming somewhere between The Dark Knight Returns and Transmet and ended squarely in "you've got a real hawk-eye" territory

Hollingsworth colors stay on fleet tho.

Man, that manga throws your heart on the ground, drives over it and then backs up to do it again.

Finished the first volume of Gwenpool. Love! I copped it digitally. Now to track down the other issues on floppy and add it to my pull.

Lessons learned from reading Gwenpool: 1) Gwenpool is awesome 2) I still prefer reading comics printed on paper.

Top Bottom