• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Boogiepop

So I read through the fourth Library Edition for Kabuki last night, and as always it was damn good stuff.

It's funny, because (and I think I mentioned this before), in having finished the series (or at least I believe this is supposed to be the last of it from what I know), my mind wanders back to my first experience with the series and David Mack.

Which is to say, it was my first convention in general, the comic book convention closest to me. My friend had actually more or less dragged me there, as he was far bigger into comics stuff than me at the time. In fact, I had barely any experience with American comics back then, having only read a few odds and ends, like the first bit of Ultimate Spider-man. Anyway, the big reason we were there was because Bendis was there, and my friend really wanted his signature (as an aside, my friend actually gave me his old, beat up copy of Ultimate Spider-man volume 1 as a half gag to have him sign because why not. And I think the thing was originally a library copy, leaving it in such bad shape that it was more tape than binding holding it together. So as a result I probably have the worst condition copy of his own work that Bendis has ever signed). And thus we waited in the midst of what was a pretty damn long line.

The funny thing is, though, that the line passed by and essentially completely cut off the booth for a certain comic creator that neither my friend nor myself had heard of, and pretty much nobody was paying him any mind. When we passed by we actually struck up a brief conversation with the creator of... Kabuki. With the funny thing being that in my head I wrote it off as some little nothing faux-anime knockoff comic without ever looking into it, and my friend and I both honestly felt like we were just kind of humoring a poor guy who nobody seemed to care about. Much as I'm glad to have been introduced to the series through the super nice Library Editions that'll sit proudly on my shelf forever, it's funny to think that if I just paid a bit more attention to him, I may well have discovered what's now one of my favorite series in comics about a decade (probably a tad less, but it's close) earlier!

tldr; It's funny to think, but I met and talked to the creator of Kabuki a good while back when I knew nothing of the series, never knowing that it would one day become one of my favorites. Which somehow feels fitting with the series in a weird way, that a conversation so trivial at the time that I don't even remember the contents has become something that would now be a precious meeting to me, and something I'd probably come to a con just to do.

PsychBat!

Banned
She's great and I love her, but she has to die or else her arc is meaningless

I mean she's not a great replacement of the original article if she wasn't gonna die. I can never get a bead on her personality and really, that's my only issue with her. She's the strong, silent type when nothing is happening and when facing what she perceives as an injustice she acts like Thor (Odinson). And that's another thing, she acts like Thor when she's raging and shouting at a villain. Is she doing that to convince others that she is Thor or is she trying to convince herself? Either way, it sounds like a kid playing super hero. When she speaks plainly and monologues to herself, that's when I can totally immerse myself in her plight. She used to be a mortal woman that could only imagine what kind of adventures Thor got himself into. Now she's Thor and doesn't have to imagine it! I think that aspect of Thor (Jane) is cool.

TheFlow

Banned
Wicked+Divine #1

welp that was a interesting start

Wicked+Divine #2

oo now this got my attention. That ending and creation of a God.

Wicked+Divine #3
that was certainly a experience. Morrigan is like crazy jane.

Wicked+Divine #4

I like the way the Gods interact with each other but Lucifer stole the show. great dialog from her.

Wicked+Divine #5

mind blown! did not see that coming.

overall:

can't believe it took me so long to start this. awesome series. love the concept

So I read through the fourth Library Edition for Kabuki last night, and as always it was damn good stuff.

It's funny, because (and I think I mentioned this before), in having finished the series (or at least I believe this is supposed to be the last of it from what I know), my mind wanders back to my first experience with the series and David Mack.

Which is to say, it was my first convention in general, the comic book convention closest to me. My friend had actually more or less dragged me there, as he was far bigger into comics stuff than me at the time. In fact, I had barely any experience with American comics back then, having only read a few odds and ends, like the first bit of Ultimate Spider-man. Anyway, the big reason we were there was because Bendis was there, and my friend really wanted his signature (as an aside, my friend actually gave me his old, beat up copy of Ultimate Spider-man volume 1 as a half gag to have him sign because why not. And I think the thing was originally a library copy, leaving it in such bad shape that it was more tape than binding holding it together. So as a result I probably have the worst condition copy of his own work that Bendis has ever signed). And thus we waited in the midst of what was a pretty damn long line.

The funny thing is, though, that the line passed by and essentially completely cut off the booth for a certain comic creator that neither my friend nor myself had heard of, and pretty much nobody was paying him any mind. When we passed by we actually struck up a brief conversation with the creator of... Kabuki. With the funny thing being that in my head I wrote it off as some little nothing faux-anime knockoff comic without ever looking into it, and my friend and I both honestly felt like we were just kind of humoring a poor guy who nobody seemed to care about. Much as I'm glad to have been introduced to the series through the super nice Library Editions that'll sit proudly on my shelf forever, it's funny to think that if I just paid a bit more attention to him, I may well have discovered what's now one of my favorite series in comics about a decade (probably a tad less, but it's close) earlier!

tldr; It's funny to think, but I met and talked to the creator of Kabuki a good while back when I knew nothing of the series, never knowing that it would one day become one of my favorites. Which somehow feels fitting with the series in a weird way, that a conversation so trivial at the time that I don't even remember the contents has become something that would now be a precious meeting to me, and something I'd probably come to a con just to do.
Awesome story. Glad you enjoyed Kabuki. One of my favorite series. The way the series evolves with his art style, the true blending of art panels with words that only can be done in the comic medium. There's really not much like it. And the library editions are sublime. I've met him at cons before too. Really friendly and accessible. Bought some prints.

It's also interesting that you were in a line for Bendis and Bendis and Mack are good friends from their indie days.

Sandfox

They sound like the exact same thing I'd expect. Cable time traveling? Oh how fresh. A Jean Grey solo focused entirely on the Phoenix? What new territory they're taking this character. Man it's a good thing that X-Men Gold is giving us a team and focus we've never had before. A team full of young mutants lead by Jubilee? Well I never...

Iceman's breaking some new ground by focusing on an older man coming out after years of being conflicted, which is a story that rarely gets told if it ever does. X-Men Blue combines two concepts we've seen into something different, but Bunn isn't exactly a draw for me. Weapon X has a derivative roster with some new blood, but one I dig and it has Pak (who gets praise but I've never read his stuff) and Land (who can at least do good action sequences when required, which is necessary for an X-Force).

Inhumans has a space adventure, cosmic prison break, and a standard super team book.

Inhumans may not have anyone here excited (except for me), but let's not act like X-Men is hitting any special buttons either
Personally, I think Generation X is interesting because it will be focusing on the "useless" mutants and finally giving them time to shine. Jean Grey has my interest because of the traveling and learning aspect, as well as Hopeless getting to write the character again. I haven't read a lot of older X-Men stuff, so I probably view the books differently.

I'm looking forward to the Inhuman books as well, so you aren't alone lol.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wicked+Divine #1

welp that was a interesting start

Wicked+Divine #2

oo now this got my attention. That ending and creation of a God.

Wicked+Divine #3
that was certainly a experience. Morrigan is like crazy jane.

Wicked+Divine #4

I like the way the Gods interact with each other but Lucifer stole the show. great dialog from her.

Wicked+Divine #5

mind blown! did not see that coming.

overall:

can't believe it took me so long to start this. awesome series. love the concept

I loved the series up until the Commercial Suicide arc. You probably won't have the same problem I had with that arc though so you should be fine there.

I mean she's not a great replacement of the original article if she wasn't gonna die. I can never get a bead on her personality and really, that's my only issue with her. She's the strong, silent type when nothing is happening and when facing what she perceives as an injustice she acts like Thor (Odinson). And that's another thing, she acts like Thor when she's raging and shouting at a villain. Is she doing that to convince others that she is Thor or is she trying to convince herself? Either way, it sounds like a kid playing super hero. When she speaks plainly and monologues to herself, that's when I can totally immerse myself in her plight. She used to be a mortal woman that could only imagine what kind of adventures Thor got himself into. Now she's Thor and doesn't have to imagine it! I think that aspect of Thor (Jane) is cool.
I think a lot of it is trying to convince everyone she's Thor, including herself. She picked up the hammer because she believed the world needed Thor. She knew what that magic could do to her body. She hasn't been able to do much of anything that hasn't been fighting cancer. I think a key part is the personality she shows on the outside is not necessarily the same as her inner thoughts, which is very prevalent early on. You can see the dissonance between her inner voice and her outer voice. As time has gone on, she's gotten more confident and has begun to own the persona that she's taken up.

I do agree that the most appealing part of her is her awe at the fact that she's Thor and all the stuff she dreamed about doing she's ACTUALLY doing. It's upsetting to see her lost that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think the Callback Issue where Darth Vader "is shut down" is my favorite moment of the Vader Series.

To bad that ended and we get a Dr I dont care with overdone joke #1 and #2 as companions now instead.

Personally, I think Generation X is interesting because it will be focusing on the "useless" mutants and finally giving them time to shine. Jean Grey has my interest because of the traveling and learning aspect, as well as Hopeless getting to write the character again. I haven't read a lot of older X-Men stuff, so I probably view the books differently.

I'm looking forward to the Inhuman books as well, so you aren't alone lol.
I'm not saying Generation X or Jean Grey can't be good or interesting, it's all just shit that's been done before. Especially Jean Grey. I'm legitimately angry at that book's premise. One of the oldest Marvel characters and they have zero confidence in doing anything that isn't Phoenix related. Fuck that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm not saying Generation X or Jean Grey can't be good or interesting, it's all just shit that's been done before. Especially Jean Grey. I'm legitimately angry at that book's premise. One of the oldest Marvel characters and they have zero confidence in doing anything that isn't Phoenix related. Fuck that.

Generation X looks more oirginal than X-Men Blue which is just a continuation of another shitty book that people already didn't like.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really liked the droids in the beginning but after Vader Down they started to annoy me. I was like I get it, its C3PO but as a psychopatic killer, how funny. Now a bit varation, please.

I just dont care about Aphra. She was there, was a not unlikely but thats it. I guess she is now teaming up with Evil Chewbacca, will get a Evil Luke and fly around in a Evil Millenium Falcon.

Best part was Vaders Badassery, even when there were moments were it was almost to badass.

Favorite arc was the Tzung-Tzu-War or whatever name it was.

Hope we get a Vader-Post-ESB Book after Episode VIII

TheFlow

Banned
Doesn't look like there is much different to get people to jump on to the x-men relaunch. people who were reading the current titles are going to feel right at home. I don't expect the sales to improve past the first issues of each.

Sandfox

Generation X looks more oirginal than X-Men Blue which is just a continuation of another shitty book that people already didn't like.

It's the time displaced O5, but this is a different premise by a different creative team, so I wouldn't just call it a continuation. We'll see if the book is good though.

Doesn't look like there is much different to get people to jump on to the x-men relaunch. people who were reading the current titles are going to feel right at home. I don't expect the sales to improve past the first issues of each.
That really depends on things we don't know.

TheFlow

Banned
It's the time displaced O5, but this is a different premise by a different creative team, so I wouldn't just call it a continuation. We'll see if the book is good though.

That really depends on things we don't know.

one of the books has the team wearing their costumes from 1979. I rest my case,

Sandfox

one of the books has the team wearing their costumes from 1979. I rest my case,
That's being done for nostalgia, with Kitty taking over the team showing how things have come full circle. We'll have to see how that and other factors play out in terms of people checking out the books.

TheFlow

Banned
That's being done for nostalgia, with Kitty taking over the team showing how things have come full circle. We'll have to see how that and other factors play out in terms of people checking out the books.
kitty means they have learned nothing. that is like a dog leading a team of wolves.

El Topo

I loved the series up until the Commercial Suicide arc. You probably won't have the same problem I had with that arc though so you should be fine there.

I think the series actually managed to perfectly integrate Commercial Suicide in hindsight. The first two volumes are sensational, the third volume is a drastic shift that (in my opinion) shines in hindsight.
The fourth volume manages to tie things together and set things up with a great ending of #22. WicDiv #23 is something else and then it's back to regular WicDiv.

Wait... So Legend of Wonder Woman Volume 2 was cancelled because the creators ran their mouths off on Twitter?

No. DC just decided not to continue with the series for whatever reason. Some people think it had to do with Wonder Woman suddenly being pulled from the UN Ambassador role, but who knows?

TheFlow

Banned
Sheriff of Babylon #3

ooooo that was good. believable dialog and that ending was great.

Sheriff of Babylon #4
4.jpg

so good gif. The intro, the revelations, and the action so good.

Sheriff of Babylon #5
powerful issue. nothing but dialog but yet it was good.

Sheriff of Babylon #6

my eyes got a little watery

Sheriff of Babylon #7

Bruh that interrogation was everything

Sheriff of Babylon #8

Nassir backstory. it was dope

Sheriff of Babylon #9
HOLY SHTI!

Power play! yo where do you go to get balls that big.

Sheriff of Babylon #10

intense chapter. Bob story during the talking was griping.

Sheriff of Babylon #11
this is the climax. where shit goes down and man does. felt like a movie

Sheriff of Babylon #12

welp that was savage. I hope there is a sequel.

Overall: easily the best written book of the year and most consistent. Better than Vision. Of course I gotta read Omega Men next week. I was going to say Nick Spencer was the best writer this year, but now it is going to King.

58684._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I didn't write a lot per issue because I just wanted to get the next issue. real page turner. especially towards the end .

Messi

No. DC just decided not to continue with the series for whatever reason. Some people think it had to do with Wonder Woman suddenly being pulled from the UN Ambassador role, but who knows?

Yeah the tweets stuff came to light after this. The insider stuff says it's about Ray Dillon talking smack about other wonder woman books and tagging DC in all the tweets.

TheFlow

Banned
I absolutely agree that it was better than Vision. Opinions and all that.

Flow, Season 2 is already confirmed

OH shit! I forgot about that promo image. I am excited and worried at the same. excited because I want more, but worried that it won't live up to the first season.

my top 5 best written this year:

1.Sheriff of Babylon
2.Black Panther
3.Vision
4.Cap:Sam Wilson
5.Cap: Steve Rogers

still gotta read more of the flintstones.

OH shit! I forgot about that promo image. I am excited and worried at the same. excited because I want more, but worried that it won't live up to the first season.

my top 5 best written this year:

1.Sheriff of Babylon
2.Black Panther
3.Vision
4.Cap:Sam Wilson
5.Cap: Steve Rogers

still gotta read more of the flintstones.

Just picked up an IPad Pro today. Gonna check some of these out. I'm also catching up on Superman by Tomasi and Batman by King. I also have a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. What else y'all got?

TheFlow

Banned
Just picked up an IPad Pro today. Gonna check some of these out. I'm also catching up on Superman by Tomasi and Batman by King. I also have a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. What else y'all got?

Immortal Iron fist by Fraction
Hawkeye by Fraction
All of Thor by Jason Aaron

I figured I might as well get some popular ones out the way.

shingi70

Banned
didn't see any of the articles and such.

I know that, but how should they hype him up? Because from I've seen they've promoted him and his various awards in a lot of editorial articles and interviews. Even realized how they fucked him up with ruining his Superman run with crossovers and rectified it by giving him his own part of the DC universe to play with.

Late to the party but Yang should be put on a high profile book in addition to New Supeeman.

VanWinkle

Overall: easily the best written book of the year and most consistent. Better than Vision. Of course I gotta read Omega Men next week. I was going to say Nick Spencer was the best writer this year, but now it is going to King.

58684._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I didn't write a lot per issue because I just wanted to get the next issue. real page turner. especially towards the end .

Wait, you haven't read Omega Men? Oh MAN are you in for a treat. Probably my favorite book this year.

TheFlow

Banned
Pretty Deadly #8

I used to love this series, but now the plot and panels are kinda confusing more than they should be. At least it is still pretty.

Pretty Deadly #9

better than the previous issue. I kinda see where this going already. Going to wait till the Image sale before I finish this arc.

let it be known that the first arc is way better.

Top Bottom