• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

When I think of manga I think of reading in reverse, black and white, thick-rough paper, and a small trade.

Just messing with you. I was talking about Solanin.

dI8G5Jh.png

ElNarez

Banned
a thing I hate about the discourse around movies is the idea of "just remove your brain for this one", the idea that you could enjoy a movie mindlessly, as a pure spectacle of light and sound, usually associated with big loud action blockbusters

it's a bad idea on its own, and, sometimes, it actively makes it harder to enjoy a film

for instance: Suicide Squad

don't just watch it, WATCH it, pay attention to everything, consider every element the movie brings forward, how it makes you feel and why it makes you feel that way

everything about it is on purpose, and once you realize what that purpose is, you'll realize that Suicide Squad is a great fucking film

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Started reading the new Doctor Strange series like suggested, I enjoy his playboy character---I guess MCU is still "child friendly" so they probably won't go that route in the future, but it'd be a nice change of pace since even Tony Stark in the films despite being a "playboy" never really focuses on his sex life as far as I remember. Actually I feel like all the MCU films are oddly undersexed despite the occasional wink and nod, there's never even been an in-bed scene has there?

Also checked out Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy since it was advertised as tying into the cool looking Monsters Unleashed event, I really like how intense Moon Boy is in his narration. He's pretty fucked up honestly.

Oh, they have Funko POP! comics now?
I know right? And the worst part is that he only draws X-23 like that. No one else.
Ooooooooooooooh, I get it. That makes a whole lotta sense now. lol

I like Eduardo Risso but, and IDK if it's just me, I don't really like the way he draws some black people. He's using way too much stereotypes like big lips. He did the same thing in 100 Bullets.

This panel for example:

W7qoW41.png
Is that technically racist? Sometimes I'm not sure.
Comicvine community is such a welcoming place.
Man these fuckers are still salty? Jesus christ get over it. Riri is more a replacement for Rhodes than Tony and Rhodes had nothing going on for him anyways. As much as I wanted my Riri War Machine/Doom Iron Man buddy series.
a thing I hate about the discourse around movies is the idea of "just remove your brain for this one", the idea that you could enjoy a movie mindlessly, as a pure spectacle of light and sound, usually associated with big loud action blockbusters

it's a bad idea on its own, and, sometimes, it actively makes it harder to enjoy a film

for instance: Suicide Squad

don't just watch it, WATCH it, pay attention to everything, consider every element the movie brings forward, how it makes you feel and why it makes you feel that way

everything about it is on purpose, and once you realize what that purpose is, you'll realize that Suicide Squad is a great fucking film
I've always respected the fact that you have a very genuine opinion that you defend ardently and is very well-formed and articulated. And I agree with what you're saying about movie discourse. It especially bothers me when people talk about "turning off their brain" for a movie and then complain about obvious things that happened/didn't happen in the movie that they missed because they "turned off their brain."

However, you will never be able to convince my that SS was not one of the most (absolute definition of) average action movies I've seen.

RaoulDuke

wondering if anyone has advice for me.

I'm looking to buy the Hickman FF omnibus #1 and 2, #2 is available everywhere for a reasonable price. But it seems like #1 is out of print and sold out everywhere. Its listed on Amazon and ebay for hundreds of dollars.

Should i just try calling shops and see if they have one left on their shelves? Called a few so far but no luck.

wondering if anyone has advice for me.

I'm looking to buy the Hickman FF omnibus #1 and 2, #2 is available everywhere for a reasonable price. But it seems like #1 is out of print and sold out everywhere. Its listed on Amazon and ebay for hundreds of dollars.

Should i just try calling shops and see if they have one left on their shelves? Called a few so far but no luck.

It would be very very unlikely that you would find it in a comic store in any medium to large town/city. (There are many facebook groups where such information is shared and people tend to pick up such rare books for each other).

TheFlow

Banned
Sorry bk you didn't like red hood #1.

Red hood deserves a solo like everyone else but I don't mind this time because Artemis is a boss

TheFlow

Banned
List #glad Image has low output for next week. bolded for best books.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda #2

Cage #3

Captain America: Sam Wilson #16

Doctor Strange #15

Gamora #1

Invincible Iron-Man #2

Occupy Avengers #1

Mighty Captain Marvel #0

Power man and Iron Fist Sweet Christmas Special

Star Lord

Thanos #2

Venom #2

Slam #2

Superman #13

Raven #4

Nightwing #11

Green Arrow #13

Cave Carson has a cybernetic eye #3

Batman #13

Man I knew Laura's origin was fucked but hot damn

This reminds me, who do you think is the Marvel equivalent of someone like a Wally West? Someone who evolved above their role and totally usurped the mantle and became even better than the one that came before? I can't really think of anyone

This reminds me, who do you think is the Marvel equivalent of someone like a Wally West? Someone who evolved above their role and totally usurped the mantle and became even better than the one that came before? I can't really think of anyone

5ALhKbg.jpg

TheFlow

Banned

Thor

I haven't seen it yet, so no comment on the quality, but you fall on your sword quite often to defend media. I can't tell if you're intentionally contrarian, really love something, or just enjoy stirring the pot.

One thing I know for certain: you didn't discover or notice something about Suicide Squad that the rest of the world missed. GAF reviews that tell the reader to "open their mind and realize how brilliant this is" are good for a chuckle, and not much else. It's great that you had a different emotional response to the film than the vast majority.

I hope I do, too. I want to like the movie. I'm not happy with DC's recent movie offerings, but all it takes is one winner to get me on board.

TheFlow

Banned
Red Hood and the outlaws #5

that was one amazing issue. great use of panels and sound effects. Black Mask revealed his true face. woah.

I think Lobdell and Nightwing have been suffering a identity crisis or something and I am glad the villains of both books are calling them out on it. They need to evolve past their father's shadow.

New Superman #4

good issue, got a lot more dark than I was expecting.

New Superman #5

that escalated quickly. I like what they are doing with Father and Son. Plus the China commentary is cool.

New Superman #6

YO the feels were delivered in this Chapter! Solid first arc has been completed. Yo the bombs have been dropped this issue. I did not see that ending coming.

I am so excited for next year. The new arc looks very promising.
School of Batmen

My only complaint is the book lost some of the charm that came with the first 3 issues. Like the book went from Great to just good to great towards the end of #6. With the darker tone came some changes.

Another thing I like about this book is That Kennen has the chi/essence of new 52 superman. So for his powers to work he has to capture the feel of Clark. his ideals. and channel it. Kinda cool martial art situation.

Also guys the writer of this book is one of my favorite Graphic novel writers and has won a shit ton of awards. I am surprised DC doesn't hype him up more.

Gene Luen Yang

If New Superman finishes and he goes to marvel I can think of 3 titles I want him on

Steve Rogers: self-righteous asshole
Si.

Plus Mosaic, Moon Girl and Kamala and the Inhumans/X-Men are even.
Huh

I feel disappointed. Like I'm not getting the book I want out of this, but I don't know what book I want out of this. The Black Bolt solo is the one I'm most excited for

mreddie

I feel disappointed. Like I'm not getting the book I want out of this, but I don't know what book I want out of this. The Black Bolt solo is the one I'm most excited for

Royals is just the early Inhumans only on a journey
Black Bolt is a weird one, I guess it's set somewhere during Royals
Secret Warriors is basically the All-New/Uncanny Inhumans

At least with the X Solos

Iceman is a powerful gay man
Jean Grey is about a young Jean Grey armed with the knowledge and is ready for the Phoenix coming back
Cable is Doctor Who with a gun
Weapon X is Weapon X again

They sound more better than the Inhuman books.

Ross61

Red Hood and the outlaws #5

that was one amazing issue. great use of panels and sound effects. Black Mask revealed his true face. woah.

I think Lobdell and Nightwing have been suffering a identity crisis or something and I am glad the villains of both books are calling them out on it. They need to evolve past their father's shadow.

New Superman #4

good issue, got a lot more dark than I was expecting.

New Superman #5

that escalated quickly. I like what they are doing with Father and Son. Plus the China commentary is cool.

New Superman #6

YO the feels were delivered in this Chapter! Solid first arc has been completed. Yo the bombs have been dropped this issue. I did not see that ending coming.

I am so excited for next year. The new arc looks very promising.
School of Batmen

My only complaint is the book lost some of the charm that came with the first 3 issues. Like the book went from Great to just good to great towards the end of #6. With the darker tone came some changes.

Another thing I like about this book is That Kennen has the chi/essence of new 52 superman. So for his powers to work he has to capture the feel of Clark. his ideals. and channel it. Kinda cool martial art situation.

Also guys the writer of this book is one of my favorite Graphic novel writers and has won a shit ton of awards. I am surprised DC doesn't hype him up more.

Gene Luen Yang

If New Superman finishes and he goes to marvel I can think of 3 titles I want him on

What do you mean by "hype him up more".

Royals is just the early Inhumans only on a journey
Black Bolt is a weird one, I guess it's set somewhere during Royals
Secret Warriors is basically the All-New/Uncanny Inhumans

At least with the X Solos

Iceman is a powerful gay man
Jean Grey is about a young Jean Grey armed with the knowledge and is ready for the Phoenix coming back
Cable is Doctor Who with a gun
Weapon X is Weapon X again

They sound more better than the Inhuman books.
They sound like the exact same thing I'd expect. Cable time traveling? Oh how fresh. A Jean Grey solo focused entirely on the Phoenix? What new territory they're taking this character. Man it's a good thing that X-Men Gold is giving us a team and focus we've never had before. A team full of young mutants lead by Jubilee? Well I never...

Iceman's breaking some new ground by focusing on an older man coming out after years of being conflicted, which is a story that rarely gets told if it ever does. X-Men Blue combines two concepts we've seen into something different, but Bunn isn't exactly a draw for me. Weapon X has a derivative roster with some new blood, but one I dig and it has Pak (who gets praise but I've never read his stuff) and Land (who can at least do good action sequences when required, which is necessary for an X-Force).

Inhumans has a space adventure, cosmic prison break, and a standard super team book.

Inhumans may not have anyone here excited (except for me), but let's not act like X-Men is hitting any special buttons either

TheFlow

Banned
They sound like the exact same thing I'd expect. Cable time traveling? Oh how fresh. A Jean Grey solo focused entirely on the Phoenix? What new territory they're taking this character. Man it's a good thing that X-Men Gold is giving us a team and focus we've never had before. A team full of young mutants lead by Jubilee? Well I never...

Iceman's breaking some new ground by focusing on an older man coming out after years of being conflicted, which is a story that rarely gets told if it ever does. X-Men Blue combines two concepts we've seen into something different, but Bunn isn't exactly a draw for me. Weapon X has a derivative roster with some new blood, but one I dig and it has Pak (who gets praise but I've never read his stuff) and Land (who can at least do good action sequences when required, which is necessary for an X-Force).

Inhumans has a space adventure, cosmic prison break, and a standard super team book.

Inhumans may not have anyone here excited (except for me), but let's not act like X-Men is hitting any special buttons either
slow clap

Ross61

They have A list writer who knows his Chinese culture. He is a bigger deal than Marvel picking up Coates.
I know that, but how should they hype him up? Because from I've seen they've promoted him and his various awards in a lot of editorial articles and interviews. Even realized how they fucked him up with ruining his Superman run with crossovers and rectified it by giving him his own part of the DC universe to play with.

TheFlow

Banned
I know that, but how should they hype him up? Because from I've seen they've promoted him and his various awards in a lot of editorial articles and interviews. Even realized how they fucked him up with ruining his Superman run with crossovers and rectified it by giving him his own part of the DC universe to play with.

didn't see any of the articles and such.

TheFlow

Banned
taking advantage of my unlimited.

Archie #3

decent issue. Veronica first day at school. highlight was the throw up page.

Archie #4

the reason why Archie and Betty broke up. Damn the feels.

Archie #5
never make a deal with the devil.

Archie #6
Veronica is interested in Archie because he pissed her dad off but we are starting to get signs she actually has some feelings for him outside of that. Mr.Lodge finally figured out who destroyed his mansion so shit is about to go down.

Overall impressions:

I read this series back in 2015 but stopped after #2 because I was pulling so much stuff. Coming back makes me realize nothing wows me about this comic but it is somewhat still entertaining. I love archie's wallbreaking, and the high school drama. #1 is still the best issue with #2 right behind it.

The first arc was decent, but I am still not in a rush to catch up on archie comics.

Birthright #1

this would be one of the strongest #1 but it felt a lil rushed on delivery. but damn what a great start.

Birthright #2

Better than I could of imagined. wasn't interested but the concept is pretty damn cool. He fucking rekted the police force.

I am a huge fan of fantasy and crazy character designs and this is scratching tht itch.

Birthright #3

OK so this is doing a better job than Seven to eternity when it comes crazy fantasy, bad guys, and character designs. I am invested in this. The pale rider is fucking crazy. The gideons are so cool

Birthright #4
Mikey suffering from PTSD makes sense. Earth is foreign to him now.

Birthright #5

DAMN this was epic. The plot is moving in a great direction.

up there with saga.

Top Bottom