• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

TheFlow

Banned
in the middle of my marathon might as well tell yah about a book series that let me down.

Wolf 2-4

the concept and team of this book had me so hyped that I bought the first volume blindly. I did not enjoy it at all. So much potential but the writing was so vague. Also it was hard to understand because the writer decided to give the European characters accents that did not transfer well on pages. The ending of the arc wasn't good, and it felt Like I was missing something.

one my least favorite 2016 books.

TheFlow

Banned
The Strange Talents of Luther Strode #1-6

The Legend of Luther Strode #1

hands down the most violent and over the top action series I have ever read. The book doesn't give you a chance to think about the plot because shit is going down every other page.

I am going to pick up the rest during the next image sale. it got my interest.

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers #1

solid issue, and I like how we are starting with Tommy joining the team instead of a full on origin. The art is a little rough at times.

will sale wait this

TheFlow

Banned
I love Tradd Moore's art. His line work is so intricate and the action scenes so visceral.

yea his art is why I loved ghost rider so much.

also has anybody read this. it is looks good based off previews.
joyride_cover.png

Sandfox

Comixology is having a sales on every issues of Uncanny X-Men before the Bendis run, and the first issues of the November Marvel Now books. The majority of those books look like they're going to be good IMO.

Boogiepop

Comixology is having a sales on every issues of Uncanny X-Men before the Bendis run, and the first issues of the November Marvel Now books. The majority of those books look like they're going to be good IMO.

...This is what I wanted, but also not quite. I wanted to catch up on the rest of Claremont X-men after where the omnibus stuff ended, which this will kind of let me do... but I wanted to do New Mutants alongside it at least, and that's not in this sale...

I guess I'll at least pick up the relevant components from this sale, but I may need to hold off on actually reading them till I can get the other odds and ends that I need for my read-through.

After reading the X-23 Complete Collection Vol. 1, I am now firm in my belief that I need to read Kyle and Yost's New X-Men. I like their writing. Now if I could just nab some trades of it...

Thoughts on a couple of these newer image series

Glitter bomb
Surgeon X
Green Valley
Cannibal
Moonshine

I tried all of these. Surgeon X had a good first issue but went down hard in the second. Green Valley was a bit too smug for its own good, I thought. Cannibal's premise doesn't quite work.

I'm enjoying Moonshine largely on the promise of its premise. Glitterbomb is fantastic. I have all kinds of nice things to say about it soon. Those are the only two I'm still pulling.

I like Glitterbomb a lot. It's weird and dark and bonkers as hell. Good drama, too.

I tried all of these. Surgeon X had a good first issue but went down hard in the second. Green Valley was a bit too smug for its own good, I thought. Cannibal's premise doesn't quite work.

I'm enjoying Moonshine largely on the promise of its premise. Glitterbomb is fantastic. I have all kinds of nice things to say about it soon. Those are the only two I'm still pulling.
Thanks for the updates. From the previews glitterbomb seemed the strongest of that list of books I've never heard too much for it. Moonshine I'm intrigued due to the same duo of 100 bullets and others.

Edit: If there's other newer image books you'd recommend I'd love to hear about them. I did pick up some like Kill or be Killed, lake of Fire and Black Monday Murders due to the creative teams and/or praise I've heard.

Can we talk about this page from Gwenpool Holiday Special

First let me say I appreciate how hard it is to draw people dancing and partying, especially on the demanding schedule of comics. But. But.

Johnny Storm walking into a building must be the actual worst thing that can happen to a fire marshal in Marvel New York

Miles is swinging around the room on Christmas lights running into decorations, beverage in hand. He's been drinking. Canon

Is that just a character I'm not recognizing or is there really a random person floating in space

P.S. I'm more than halfway through the Gwenpool Holiday Special and still
no Gwenpool =/

Same with Glitterbomb. I ain't telling you shit. You need to know absolutely nothing going in.

Very true

Sandfox

Can we talk about this page from Gwenpool Holiday Special

First let me say I appreciate how hard it is to draw people dancing and partying, especially on the demanding schedule of comics. But. But.

Johnny Storm walking into a building must be the actual worst thing that can happen to a fire marshal in Marvel New York

Miles is swinging around the room on Christmas lights running into decorations, beverage in hand. He's been drinking. Canon

Is that just a character I'm not recognizing or is there really a random person floating in space

P.S. I'm more than halfway through the Gwenpool Holiday Special and still
no Gwenpool =/

Very true
This year's holiday special is better IMO.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Williams, get your red cohort under control man, his hatred for superheroes is getting out of control!

I guess I didn't need to link my image and use all those spoiler tags huh

The parts with Gwenpool were great

Whelp. Now for the 2016 special. Yes.

I found the 2016 Gwenpool Holiday Special rather underwhelming. I appreciate the novel take but outside of the first half of the
Pantsgiving story
I didn't think it worked.

And then the last ten pages of the book is unapologetically a
Halloween
story, no relation to anything else that happens, it's just sort of there. It's not a clever decision, it makes it feel like they couldn't even get enough juice out of their angle to fill one special

I'm sort of surprised there wasn't a New Mutants book announced for ResX but I guess USAvengers has too much of the team for it to work. Maybe in 2018 when the movie is out and the book has been cancelled/is about to be relaunched again? What's the rest of the team doing now apart from Illyana and the AIM members?

Top Bottom