• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Yeah. The living weapon shit was already brutal enough. That was unnecessary. They could have easily just had her as a street rat being used by a gang to commit crimes or something if you really wanted to add to it. Feels like they did it just for NYX. But whatever. It's done

Nyx had a different feel to it than most of the street-level Marvel stuff. It really didn't feel like it fit in with their usual lineup.

yeah it comes from Quesada, I read all those Kyle/Yost X-Men comics for some reason and they don't ever really bring it up. It's actually Liu who reestablishes it iirc
Yeah she does
Nyx had a different feel to it than most of the street-level Marvel stuff. It really didn't feel like it fit in with their usual lineup.
It was like Runaways if you made them fucked up and not superheroes and then more fucked up

I've never read Runaways, but I assume

mreddie

CBRs Marvel ANAD Gone Too Soon List

15. Venom: Space Knight
14. Rocket Raccoon & Groot
13. Red Wolf
12. Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D.
11. Guardians of Infinity
10. Black Knight
9. Drax
8. Nova
7. All-New Hawkeye (LOL WUT)
6. New Avengers
5. Astonishing Ant-Man
4. Karnak
3. Mockingbird
2. Nighthawk
1. The Vision

13. Red Wolf
10. Black Knight
9. Drax
8. Nova
6. New Avengers
5. Astonishing Ant-Man
4. Karnak
3. Mockingbird
2. Nighthawk
1. The Vision
Vision had a complete story so that's fine. Nighthawk works as is so I'm fine with it, but I do wish there was more. Karnak is just floating in the ether somewhere. New Avengers could have continued with the ones that didn't carry over in to USAvengers, but I enjoyed where they went and I very much am looking forward to USA (heh). Howling Commandos felt painfully boring. Almost too much B-level cheese to the point of being C and maybe even D. All-New Hawkeye was so boring and I dropped after the pre-Secret Wars arc. Venom Space Knight was awesome and unique and I'm upset with where it went, but the new book has an interesting concept on its own.

Didn't read the rest and I notice Illuminati isn't on there, thus invalidating the entire list.

Sandfox

13. Red Wolf
10. Black Knight
9. Drax
8. Nova
6. New Avengers
5. Astonishing Ant-Man
4. Karnak
3. Mockingbird
2. Nighthawk
1. The Vision

Sean Ryan's Nova sucked and from what I've heard the same is true for Drax and Hawkeye.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

13. Red Wolf
10. Black Knight
9. Drax
8. Nova
6. New Avengers
5. Astonishing Ant-Man
4. Karnak
3. Mockingbird
2. Nighthawk
1. The Vision

Can't say I'll miss any of them.

Might have missed Mockingbird if they hadn't cancelled it before I got a chance to read it on MU.

Sandfox

But it was so depressing though
Sam has a sad life and things like that happen to him pretty often. There's an issue in his book where the kids at Wolverine's school invite him to hang out for Halloween only for it to turn out that they were trying to invite Speedball and messaged the wrong person.

Owzers

Suicide Squad initial impression: The movie dropped off a bit
with the power rangersish typical squishy face enchantress army, the diablo vs enchantress brother fight, some of the Croc stuff was just...bad? Bad. I didn't like the Croc at allllllll. I'm probably going to think worse of the movie over time but initially i really liked it, harley was great and as i assumed, i continue to like Will Smith. The plot was weak and the beginning seemed like too many quick chopped up scenes mashed together, but i liked the pacing. And how is the whole device destroyed by shooting explosives with a bullet, is this a QTE out of a game for a movie closing? Comic movies...still a mixed bag of other bags that hold things because they are bags. I didn't like the scene where the joker shocked harley or when she jumped in the acid, but apart from that i liked most Joker scenes despite thinking i was going to dislike everything Leto. I still kind of dislike everything Leto, even when i liked stuff.

I want my harley holiday statue :(

Sam has a sad life and things like that happen to him pretty often. There's an issue in his book where the kids at Wolverine's school invite him to hang out for Halloween only for it to turn out that they were trying to invite Speedball and messaged the wrong person.
I don't get why everyone dislikes Sam. I genuinely don't, but what's worse is how he doesn't seem to climb out of it, and when it seems like he does it turns out he did a really dumb thing. Like, supremely dumb. Champions #2 is about the closest he came to a net positive when he basically says "Fuck off Cho," and then hits him with his power demo.

Sandfox

I don't get why everyone dislikes Sam. I genuinely don't, but what's worse is how he doesn't seem to climb out of it, and when it seems like he does it turns out he did a really dumb thing. Like, supremely dumb. Champions #2 is about the closest he came to a net positive when he basically says "Fuck off Cho," and then hits him with his power demo.

Sam has his moments and seeing him get a win after all the struggles make them all the better. Sam has a good number of characters around the Marvel Universe in his corner though. I recommend checking out Duggan's run.

That's the one with the racist ass convo between Tony and T'challa, yeah?

Racist? Nahhhhh. Just anxious about the economy

F4i54Hd.jpg

13. Red Wolf
10. Black Knight
9. Drax
8. Nova
6. New Avengers
5. Astonishing Ant-Man
4. Karnak
3. Mockingbird
2. Nighthawk
1. The Vision

Venom, Ant-Man and Mockingbird. Those are the only three I agree with. Everything else on this list was either bad, mediocre or told a complete story.

Maybe Nighthawk

mreddie

He was the first in DIVERSITY PUSH IN MAH BOOKZ

And yet, it was 2012 and people were still bitter with Rich while Thanos and Star Lord got off scott free.

He was the first in DIVERSITY PUSH IN MAH BOOKZ

And yet, it was 2012 and people were still bitter with Rich while Thanos and Star Lord got off scott free.

I don't think it was a diversity thing. A lot of people who hate Sam don't even realize he is a white/Latino character.

But it is a legacy thing. Generally speaking I think we as comic book fans don't appreciate the extraordinary effort and patience that goes into establishing a legacy character successfully. Kamala is the exception, not the rule.

I don't think it was a diversity thing. A lot of people who hate Sam don't even realize he is a white/Latino character.

But it is a legacy thing. Generally speaking I think we as comic book fans don't appreciate the extraordinary effort and patience that goes into establishing a legacy character successfully. Kamala is the exception, not the rule.

I think it's more of a Marvel specific thing. DC has a pretty long history of successful legacy characters, in some cases completely surpassing the original in the eyes of most of the fans (Wally says hi).

But Marvel's real push on legacy characters is pretty recent, and their fanbase doesn't seem to be taking well to a lot of them.

I think it's more of a Marvel specific thing. DC has a pretty long history of successful legacy characters, in some cases completely surpassing the original in the eyes of most of the fans (Wally says hi).

But Marvel's real push on legacy characters is pretty recent, and their fanbase doesn't seem to be taking well to a lot of them.

You may have a point there

Edit: except on recency. Marvel has a long history of pushing legacy characters but very few end up in the same league as the originals

Sandfox

It's not really a Marvel specific thing as much as it's a modern fan thing IMO.

Yea I always liked DC adding legacy and history to their universe. Marvel until recently always just reset the timeline of when the main characters were introduced.

Well I did update to say I am not sure that particular point stands up to scrutiny, you have War Machine, how many Thors, Caps, Ant-Men etc.

It's true that characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man are almost always the same characters but that's true of most AAA DC characters as well

You may have a point there

Edit: except on recency. Marvel has a long history of pushing legacy characters but very few end up in the same league as the originals

Fair point there.

Although it feels like this current era is the first time in a long time that Marvel was really doubling down on legacy characters. A lot of the older ones like War Machine, Beta Ray Bill, etc came during a very different time.

mreddie

Marvel put their characters on ice many times, it's just now the people replacing them have alot more backlash because of the internet, would you imagine the feedback after the Demon in the Bottle conclusion with Rhodey becoming Iron Man or Monica as Captain Marvel?

MG310

Was it Jeph Loeb immediately turning people off too? 2-3 years off of Red Hulk/Ultimates 3/Ultimatum

Well I did update to say I am not sure that particular point stands up to scrutiny, you have War Machine, how many Thors, Caps, Ant-Men etc.

It's true that characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man are almost always the same characters but that's true of most AAA DC characters as well
I know there was us agent, war machine, etc but it never felt the same as the "families" that D.C. Started to foster where they all were working together a lot. Batman had a family and legacy with Robin and batgirl characters. Flash was one huge speedforce family. Supes post doomsday had steel, super girl, super boy, etc. Wonder Woman had wonder girl. Diana replaced her mom as WW, black canary was picking on the legacy from her mom, And so on. Then pre 52 you had the JSA being the "old guard" to the JLA new to John's JSA and Robinson's starman I loved that stuff!

Marvel seemed terrified of sidekicks like the ghost of Bucky loomed over them for decades.....except for rick jones.

VanWinkle

I know there was us agent, war machine, etc but it never felt the same as the "families" that D.C. Started to foster where they all were working together a lot. Batman had a family and legacy with Robin and batgirl characters. Flash was one huge speedforce family. Supes post doomsday had steel, super girl, super boy, etc. Wonder Woman had wonder girl. Diana replaced her mom as WW, black canary was picking on the legacy from her mom, And so on. Then pre 52 you had the JSA being the "old guard" to the JLA new to John's JSA and Robinson's starman I loved that stuff!

Man I love all that stuff so much. Makes for such captivating comics. I really need to get the second and third volumes of JSA omni.

Sandfox

Brevoort is cutting back on his online activity due to fans getting aggressive with him. I'm guessing part of it has to do with BC harassing him a while back as well.

The more I think about it the more I return to my original argument that it's simply exceptionally difficult and sometimes it doesn't work out.

There are a lot of comic fans that just want to read about their favorite characters so it takes a perfect storm to get a new character to take off to that level.

Marvel put their characters on ice many times, it's just now the people replacing them have alot more backlash because of the internet, would you imagine the feedback after the Demon in the Bottle conclusion with Rhodey becoming Iron Man or Monica as Captain Marvel?
The Riri comments are bad and make me question whether a black female superhero other than Storm will be able to carry an ongoing that accepting by the comic fandom.

Marvel seemed terrified of sidekicks like the ghost of Bucky loomed over them for decades.....except for rick jones.
I would say Marvel was over that by the 90s at the latest with Spider-Man and the X-Men.

See, I think you're showing you're bias a bit here. I will show you my own to illustrate what I mean: I do not care if Flash is Wally West or Barry Allen, to me they may as well be the same person. I did not even realize one of the four Supermen from post-Death of Superman was the Eradicator until recently and I know virtually nothing about Steel. And so on.

War Machine, Thunderstrike, Beta Ray Bill, Scott Lang, Ben Reilly, U.S. Agent, they're all hugely significant characters to me. They are families. There is definitely a Spider-family right now, a Thor family, etc.

And furthermore most of these characters on either list could not hold a solo title for long and have rarely supported long-running solos with the exception of the Bat-family and possibly later generations of the X-Men

There are exceptions on either side of the fence all over the place but for every successful new Lantern there is a Lantern who was once a rising star and is now relegated to cameo level, so to speak.

Sandfox

So according to the solicitation for Avengers 5.1,
the mysterious Avenger whose return to life was teased in Avengers #1 is female. It would also have to be someone that was around 60s since that book is about the Kooky Quartet.
Any guesses?

Top Bottom