• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

PsychBat!

Banned
I think Revenge and Return are on the same level.

I don't much like ranking stuff though. I get shat on for thinking Iron Man 3 is crap while thinking Iron Man 2 is okay.

shingi70

Banned
I think Revenge and Return are on the same level.

I don't much like ranking stuff though. I get shat on for thinking Iron Man 3 is crap while thinking Iron Man 2 is okay.

I'd agree with that, and man I just made thread saying I like the 90s bat films more than TDk.

Owzers

I hope you guys are enjoying your Harley holiday statues, having great Christmas discussions with it and your other statues, about what you're painting next and which pie you should bake.

VanWinkle

Got Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition. This was the last big DC crisis event that I hadn't gotten. The dust jacket is reeeaaally beautiful.

nSbBQeu.jpg

Unfortunately, the cover board on the back got very badly damaged. I'm hoping the third party seller I bought it off on Amazon has a replacement, but I'm not holding out hope. Not the worst thing in the world if I have to keep this one.

Early year syndrome

Yeah, I guess so. :(

tim1138

Got Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition. This was the last big DC crisis event that I hadn't gotten. The dust jacket is reeeaaally beautiful.

nSbBQeu.jpg

Unfortunately, the cover board on the back got very badly damaged. I'm hoping the third party seller I bought it off on Amazon has a replacement, but I'm not holding out hope. Not the worst thing in the world if I have to keep this one.

How well versed are you in the minutiae of the pre-crisis DCU? CoIE is extremely dense.

VanWinkle

How well versed are you in the minutiae of the pre-crisis DCU? CoIE is extremely dense.

I'm admittedly not TOO familiar with the goings-on of pre-Crisis DC, but I know some from my readings of pre-Crisis comics and I have done research in the past. I have heard it's really dense. I've come to grips with accepting that I won't understand everything going on in these crisis books. I was able to enjoy Final Crisis a lot even though it was insane. Infinite Crisis I had a little more trouble with but still enjoyed it. It had a lot of callbacks to CoIE, which I really should have read before IC.

kmfdmpig

Comics are such a nice escape from real world shit, sometimes.

My cat has been sick for a few weeks. Yesterday, X-rays found cancer, and because she was in a lot of pain we had her euthanized this evening. Miserable experience, but reading a few comics, at least for a moment, helped make the day a bit less difficult.

Sandfox

The Venom covers are fire.

My cat has been sick for a few weeks. Yesterday, X-rays found cancer, and because she was in a lot of pain we had her euthanized this evening. Miserable experience, but reading a few comics, at least for a moment, helped make the day a bit less difficult.
Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

shingi70

Banned

Sorry to hear about that.

kmfdmpig

Thanks, Sandfox, Freeza and Shingi. Sorry to worsen the mood. It'll be OK. He lived a happy, fulfilled and fairly long life.

In happier news - I'm excited to read Riri Iron Man 2 as the first one was so fun.

nSbBQeu.jpg

You're saying you have Zero Hour?

Thanks, Sandfox, Freeza and Shingi. Sorry to worsen the mood. It'll be OK. He lived a happy, fulfilled and fairly long life.

In happier news - I'm excited to read Riri Iron Man 2 as the first one was so fun.

Doesn't worsen the mood at all, you should share if it's on the mind, really sorry to hear that :( nothing clever or uplifting to say on my end, I'd be genuinely gutted too, but I'm glad he had a good life and comics are helping you along.

So sorry to hear about your kitty :(

Word of caution, that issue is actually really emotionally heavy.

kmfdmpig

Doesn't worsen the mood at all, you should share if it's on the mind, really sorry to hear that :( nothing clever or uplifting to say on my end, I'd be genuinely gutted too, but I'm glad he had a good life and comics are helping you along.

So sorry to hear about your kitty :(

Word of caution, that issue is actually really emotionally heavy.

Thanks!

Speaking of DC events - I know it's not widely liked, but I'm a big fan of Invasion, which was recently done on the CW shows, in a fun, but not at all faithful way. What worked so well for me with Invasion is that it showed each character pitching in where they could without having Batman appear to be the peer of Superman or have the Manhunter comparable to Martian Manhunter. It also seemed to be coordinated well between all of the different series. Any other Invasion! fans in this community?

Boogiepop

...I hadn't actually paid too much attention to that number, but I knew it was creeping up. But yeah, hooooooly crap at how big my Comixology account has grown. Note that I think part of this is me clicking on "Free Comics"->"Add all to cart" every once in a while for a year or so before I actually started using it, so part of that is due to this, I guess, but....

I started buying digital comics for the first time early this year. My "recently purchased" number on Comixology? 3979 books. My unread is at a mere 3012 though, so... that's something, I guess?

But yeah, I apparently went in pretty damn hard on the digital game, holy crap.

Also, on a completely unrelated note: holy crap at that last secret bonus level thing in Mario Run. I've 100%d every Mario platformer (except Lost Levels I guess, but I straight up haven't gotten around to playing that in general), some more than once, but that... that was too much, and I'm done with it (got in sight of the goal and then died, so I ALMOST beat it at least). Almost entirely because "incredibly demanding and precise platforming challenge" doesn't mesh THAT well with the whole platform/setup the game has going on, resulting in a stream of nonstop finicky deaths. (I still think the game works fine for pretty much everything else, but this was just not functioning as smoothly as it needed to be for me to find that last level worth putting the time in to beat).

tim1138

I'm admittedly not TOO familiar with the goings-on of pre-Crisis DC, but I know some from my readings of pre-Crisis comics and I have done research in the past. I have heard it's really dense. I've come to grips with accepting that I won't understand everything going on in these crisis books. I was able to enjoy Final Crisis a lot even though it was insane. Infinite Crisis I had a little more trouble with but still enjoyed it. It had a lot of callbacks to CoIE, which I really should have read before IC.

Just as long as you know what you're getting into. I remember in an OT thread someone recommending CoIE as a good entry point to comics, that was good for a laugh.

I'm interested in seeing your impressions, so let us know what you think.

Tim is the official ComicsGAF DCU historian.

f5cac7210a70c85a0774a7a7ac5141a6.jpg

I've certainly been called worse, and that's a bitching Time Trapper.

Oh dang, I'm sorry. :(

Are the Crisis events canon anymore? Didio said they weren't and then we had Convergence so I don't really understand it.

Based on the last page of JL vs SS, one of them certainly seems to still be in play.

Are the Crisis events canon anymore? Didio said they weren't and then we had Convergence so I don't really understand it.
They always were until the New 52, but even Flashpoint was just another Crisis event as far as Rebirth is concerned. Technically always has been, it's just that everyone "forgot" about it. Then Convergence and Rebirth undid everything.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

That sucks man. :( Had a dog die back in the summer and now I've got a kitty who
Probably won't be around much longer either.

shingi70

Banned
Thanks!

Speaking of DC events - I know it's not widely liked, but I'm a big fan of Invasion, which was recently done on the CW shows, in a fun, but not at all faithful way. What worked so well for me with Invasion is that it showed each character pitching in where they could without having Batman appear to be the peer of Superman or have the Manhunter comparable to Martian Manhunter. It also seemed to be coordinated well between all of the different series. Any other Invasion! fans in this community?

I'm a Legends man myself. I own all there issues of Invasion on comixology and bought them before the CW crossover. I haven't gotten a chance to actually read them yet.

TheFlow

Banned
Invincible Iron-man #2

oo that was good. Bendis is actually moving the plot faster than his other books. can't wait for her to get the real suit.

I think RiRi is going to be a favorite of mine.

Slam #2

my favorite issue of the week. slightly edges out Cage. Like wow I felt like this chapter gave me so much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dont collect useless trash.

trust me on this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's wrong with buttons?

I meant any collection, at least physical. Yes, I realize the irony of saying that in a comic book thread, but my comic book collection is part of the reason why I feel that way these days.

I meant any collection, at least physical. Yes, I realize the irony of saying that in a comic book thread, but my comic book collection is part of the reason why I feel that way these days.

Did you have a stack of comics fall on you, crushing you and also your dreams?

Top Bottom