• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Thinking of checking out the Attack on Titan manga. That Season 2 trailer looked pretty awesome. The only manga I've read is Parasyte, will I be lost? Not sure if AoT is a good relatively introductory series.

You'll be fine. It's a lot of reading to catch up on at this point, and the manga is probably ahead of where season 2 will end by now. I wouldn't stop with AoT, though. There's some really good manga out there once you wade through all the fluff.

TheFlow

Banned
Thinking of checking out the Attack on Titan manga. That Season 2 trailer looked pretty awesome. The only manga I've read is Parasyte, will I be lost? Not sure if AoT is a good relatively introductory series.

Although on the plus side, some of the issues I've seen in reviews, mainly with it having a lot of "shonen" tropes (not sure what that is), won't be a problem for me, because I'm completely unfamiliar with anything manga related
I liked attack on Titan but stopped a year or 2 ago for the manga. Not what people say check it out for yourself

Merry Christmas comicgaf <3

RcSIWc4.jpg

Although on the plus side, some of the issues I've seen in reviews, mainly with it having a lot of "shonen" tropes (not sure what that is), won't be a problem for me, because I'm completely unfamiliar with anything manga related

Shonen is basically "boy's" manga (think Naruto, One Piece). AoT is a good deal more "mature" than most examples, in terms of gore, tone, etc. It's been a while since I've read it, though, so maybe it mellowed out. The art really ended up putting me off, the author's got a thing for crosshatching. Downright 90's in spots. Plus, the story got pretty meandering, and not in a good way-- it felt like the plot kept stalling so the author could spend time elaborating on new, ever more gruesome sequences.

You should read Eyeshield 21 instead. It's much, much better.

Shonen is basically "boy's" manga (think Naruto, One Piece). AoT is a good deal more "mature" than most examples, in terms of gore, tone, etc. It's been a while since I've read it, though, so maybe it mellowed out. The art really ended up putting me off, the author's got a thing for crosshatching. Downright 90's in spots. Plus, the story got pretty meandering, and not in a good way-- it felt like the plot kept stalling so the author could spend time elaborating on new, ever more gruesome sequences.

From what I've heard, the story has gotten back on track as of late, but I had the same issues with the art. Though art always comes in second to me in terms of importance. It's always the story that matters most... Unless the art is absolute dog shit.

Is Superman the most relatable major DC hero?
Certainly is for me.

I've lived a very normal middle-class mom and pop life

The problem that is enountered a lot id that people think feats = an interesting character, and the powers are what makes them relatable relative to their feats

So naturally Superman sucks because no feat is impossible with his power set

The Fade Out was pretty good but I was slightly disappointed by the third trade. It didn't match with the scope of first two acts and felt a bit rushed. Enjoyed it overall but not as much as some of their work in Criminal.

Brodsky's whole character arc was very well written I thought. Felt a lot more focused than the lead character's.

From what I've heard, the story has gotten back on track as of late, but I had the same issues with the art. Though art always comes in second to me in terms of importance. It's always the story that matters most... Unless the art is absolute dog shit.

It really did get distractingly bad for me, especially in darkly lit scenes. Good to hear the plot's gotten back on the rails though.

I mean, depends who you are? He's certainly the best everyman archetype right now, but not everybody relates to the job/wife/kid thing.

Nope it's Kyle Rayner (GL) who struggled with the weight of godlike power in a way that I found relatable

I think Superman is relatable on a human level right now which is an impressive feat. That character has come a long way over the past decade. But he's literally supposed to be the ideal person to possess such insane power, when in fact no human could truly resist its corrupting influence

New Super-Man or Batgirl.

Certainly is for me.

I've lived a very normal middle-class mom and pop life

The problem that is enountered a lot id that people think feats = an interesting character, and the powers are what makes them relatable relative to their feats

So naturally Superman sucks because no feat is impossible with his power set

Superman is about the moral and ethical choices. Alternatively, you play it way up and do a *new Greek mythology* take, where Superman is doing all kinds of weird shit.

MartyStu

None of the big three DC heroes are particularly human or relateable.

Superman is probably the closest, but that is entirely because of his family (Lois, Jon, Ma, Pa).

Batman is most likely the furthest, but I think that is sort of the point of his character.

Superman is about the moral and ethical choices. Alternatively, you play it way up and do a *new Greek mythology* take, where Superman is doing all kinds of weird shit.
I like Supes for that reason. He explores that aspect in a way that a lot of superheroes can't. He's born with godlike powers and is raised by a regular-ass family to be a good dude. He has the power to help people and he does. He talks to them and helps them big or small and he always gices second chances, but sometimes those core beliefs are challenged. He becomes frustrated and doubtful, and this caused him to fuck up. He's stubborn and 100% believes he's in the right (to the point of overt self-righteousness) but he has to flex or else even he breaks. And because he's a regular dude at heart, he needs to BE that regular dude. He can't be Superman all the time, but he does when he's needed and that's what's important.

And then there's all those sick fights breh. It's nice to just have a good dude protecting people.

None of the big three DC heroes are particularly human or relateable.

Superman is probably the closest, but that is entirely because of his family (Lois, Jon, Ma, Pa).

Batman is most likely the furthest, but I think that is sort of the point of his character.

You know what me and Batman like?

MAKING MONEY.

I1eLcjT.gif

I can't relate to Tom King's Batman at all.

I feel like Tom King Batman is going to be like Morrison Batman. You got to wait for it all to be out before you get a good read on it. It's not the same level of crazy that Morrison's run was, but I can already tell I need at least full arcs before I judge a story. I already acted prematurely with the
Catwoman
stuff, even though the jury is still out on how that will end up.

Neoxon

I absolutely adored the Power Man & Iron Fist Sweet Christmas Annual. It's funny how (Uncle) Iron Fist was more aware of what Danielle was into than Luke.

tim1138

So, I'm not going to jump on them now (due to my previously mentioned lock down on further purchases), but for future reference, does Comixology have LoSH stuff covered enough that it'd be plausible to jump into that stuff? It's something I've been interested in as they seem to have some really big fans, but I never really knew how to approach that stuff. And am I right in thinking that the Fourth World stuff is still incomplete on there, or do they have that all up by now?

Also, the one thing that maaaaay make me break my "no more purchases" with a single exception because I probably would've put this on higher priority had I remembered... There was a run on I believe Batman and Robin, that was well liked around the time Morrison was doing his thing (but not Morrison's Batman and Robin). IIRC it at least somewhat covered the mourning of all that stuff with Damien? Either way, I recall hearing it mentioned quite a few times positively, but I'm blanking on exactly what run I'm thinking of. Can anyone point me to that run, and am I remembering correctly that it was really well liked?

The Batman and Robin run you're thinking of is the Tomasi/Gleason N52 run.

So far half of the Fourth World is up, they've got New Gods and the Forever People but are missing Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and Mr Miracle. I'm guessing by this time next year CMX will have all of that and the rest of Kamandi up. I'm hoping they'll add the Demon so I can retire my hardcover of that as well.

The Twilight Children - I have no idea where the book took me or what happened but I really enjoyed the ride.

Noah Van Sciver's Disquiet - This was ok. A collection of shorts and some worked for me and some did not at all. Some great art though.

I got Darth Vader Volume 1 for Christmas... and ehhh. I really didn't like it at all. The story was... ok-ish? But the art was awful... Really basic/flat colouring, all of the lines were the same width, no depth -- it kinda looked like the basic details were traced from a photo, but none of the shading was copied.

Does any of that change in further issues, or should I just walk away now?

cj_iwakura

Pretty much ran to get Suicide Squad VS Justice League thanks to the OP since I loved N52 SS(and the film). Can't wait for the rest.

Feels like a nice continuation from SS's post-credits scene, heh.

The only one I recognize from the ending group is Lobo, are any of the others special?

Top Bottom