• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Decided to go and buy the battle of atom HC in my local store. Fuckers wanted 69.99 for it. FUCK THAAAAT. Its on Amazon for 30.

79.99 for Infinity too.

Edit: oooh that Captain Marvel preview art is lovely.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Decided to go and buy the battle of atom HC in my local store. Fuckers wanted 69.99 for it. FUCK THAAAAT. Its on Amazon for 30.

79.99 for Infinity too.

Holy shiiiiiit, crazy bloody prices! Who buys at those prices? Is that for an oversized HC?

Its not directly a Comic, but I think this will be the best thread to talk about it.
Just bought one of this insanely books dedicated to the different phases in the history of DC. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3836535734/

Its a great book with very interesting informations and all this stuff and even while DC is as good as non existant, when it comes to non-Batman Comics in my Comicbook-Shelf, I just love it.

Do you know if there is a similar book dedicated to Marvel?

Marvel the Untold Story perhaps?

Checking out the amrvel previews bleeding cool has up ,some of these look so good. Secret Avengers with Kot looks like it'll be fantastic, and Ellis Moon Knight looks pretty awesome too. Not much to go on but I have real hopes for Latour on x-men too, his winter soldier was ridiculously good.
Those all look pretty schway. Shalvey needs to stay on Moon Knight. Im worried theyll have him fill in somewhere and say it was the plan all along. Announce some shit DC.

Holy shiiiiiit, crazy bloody prices! Who buys at those prices? Is that for an oversized HC?

The Infinity definitely is an oversized, I actually jsut ordered it there. Amazon usually makes me wait, but I found an ebay comic store front that had it up for cheaper than my amazon pre-order, I couldn't resist. £39, which I guess is roughly $65 or 46 euro, tax is already included in the price. Not horrific considering it's 3-4 volumes and a few extra issues binded into an oversized HC with digital code included.

Super hype to read the story itself, I really enjoyed the Hickman Avengers stuff so far.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Infinity definitely is an oversized, I actually jsut ordered it there. Amazon usually makes me wait, but I found an ebay comic store front that had it up for cheaper than my amazon pre-order, I couldn't resist. £39, which I guess is roughly $65 or 46 euro, tax is already included in the price. Not horrific considering it's 3-4 volumes and a few extra issues binded into an oversized HC with digital code included.

Super hype to read the story itself, I really enjoyed the Hickman Avengers stuff so far.

You should enjoy it if you've been digging Avengers all the way. He manages to have all the pieces be relevant and the scope is pretty damn epic. really fun space opera.

Goddam. The art and the colors in Larfleeze are incredible. Too bad Giffen and DeMatteis think they are funnier than they really are. Wasted potential.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well, I gave it a chance because of Stegman art, but Wolverine #1 was fucking terrible. What is this ridiculously terrible extended cast of total nobodies? Wolverine is just someones hired goon now? Its ridiculous how much this clashes so totally with the far better Wolverine Jason Aaron writes. Blegh.

Wish you'd stayed on Scarlet Spider Steggers rather than this musical chairs game of getting assigned to shitastic writers after experiencing Superior Yost-iness.

Alright I kinda went overboard. Picked up the TBPs of Superior Spider-Man books 1-4 and the Arms of the Octopus book, Captain Marvel book 2, Thor: God of Thunder and Indestructible Hulk book 1, and Scarlet Spider book 2. Thanks for the earlier recommendations. Still need to check out Young Avengers and see if I dig it.

Any impressions on the new Thunderbolts run? I like the lineup but am apprehensive about the writing and art. How about Secret Avengers?

Toa TAK

Banned
So has anyone read up on Ms. Marvel, yet?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. But that cliffhanger had me
now she's a blonde white chick?
Classic.

The art really is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the next issue. Plus, it's probably got one of my favorite pages of all time with
Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Iron Man
... You'll know it when you see it.

I'm on board for this series.

You should enjoy it if you've been digging Avengers all the way. He manages to have all the pieces be relevant and the scope is pretty damn epic. really fun space opera.

For sure man, I got Avengers 1 & 2 and the new avengers vol. 1 the other week there and had a blast. The new universe stuff showing up too, whaaa. I look forward to sharing my thoughts when it arrives!

. How about Secret Avengers?

So I liked it, but the plotting bugged me. Spencer's run finishes up with volume 3, I would honestly wait til may and just buy 1, 2 & 3 together man, IF you already know you're a fan of Spencer's writing. If not, you could try the first volume just to see if you like Spencer, but like I said, decent, some fun ideas but usual Spencer plotting annoyances. I'm just going to catch up in may with volumes 2 and 3 when I can read the whole run as one piece. For example, there's a plot point started in issue one that seems pretty significant, and they don't go anywhere near it again for the whole volume. There's a plot point set up in the point one short story that the main series doesn't touch at all. Spencer eneds to learn to just wade in and break some toys in amongst his long plays. Much more excited for Kot's run that properly starts in March.

Well, I gave it a chance because of Stegman art, but Wolverine #1 was fucking terrible. What is this ridiculously terrible extended cast of total nobodies? Wolverine is just someones hired goon now? Its ridiculous how much this clashes so totally with the far better Wolverine Jason Aaron writes. Blegh.

Wish you'd stayed on Scarlet Spider Steggers rather than this musical chairs game of getting assigned to shitastic writers after experiencing Superior Yost-iness.
Damn that's bad to hear. Just put Stegman on a book and give him a legendary run. He can do a lot issues a year he doesn't need to be cycled like HGH. There's so much this brah can exceed at. Goddam.

Switching back to Scott Kollins and that colorists. These brahs would be a perfect fit for Doom Patrol.

Just caught up on Invincible 108. Kirkman sure loves his ultra violence. Goddam I so want more Invincible figures to be made. Seeing Conquest again just overcame me with thoughts of him as a fig. So schway.

So I liked it, but the plotting bugged me. Spencer's run finishes up with volume 3, I would honestly wait til may and just buy 1, 2 & 3 together man, IF you already know you're a fan of Spencer's writing. If not, you could try the first volume just to see if you like Spencer, but like I said, decent, some fun ideas but usual Spencer plotting annoyances. I'm just going to catch up in may with volumes 2 and 3 when I can read the whole run as one piece. For example, there's a plot point started in issue one that seems pretty significant, and they don't go anywhere near it again for the whole volume. There's a plot point set up in the point one short story that the main series doesn't touch at all. Spencer eneds to learn to just wade in and break some toys in amongst his long plays. Much more excited for Kot's run that properly starts in March.

Thanks. Sounds like something I should catch up on in a few months when the other Avengers/New Avengers TBPs are coming out.

Thanks. Sounds like something I should catch up on in a few months when the other Avengers/New Avengers TBPs are coming out.

What Thor was it you got, The God Butcher, or both God Butcher and God Bomb?? They are absolutely incredible man, I got them in the mail maybe 4-5 days ago, and I've read them both through twice in the last few days. Really feels like something special.

I got God Butcher, right now I'm just getting caught up after the Marvel Now relaunch and I prefer paperbacks to hardcovers, so unfortunately will be waiting a couple months for the God Bomb book to come out in Paperback. I've heard awesome things though, can't wait.

So has anyone read up on Ms. Marvel, yet?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. But that cliffhanger had me
now she's a blonde white chick?
Classic.

The art really is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the next issue. Plus, it's probably got one of my favorite pages of all time with
Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Iron Man
... You'll know it when you see it.

I'm on board for this series.

Got it this morning and loved it. I love what Alphona's doing with the art. Also...Circle Q and Chatty Bob. Awesome.

Vyer

Thinking about really condensing my pull list. I've been basically grabbing whatever catches my interest week to week, but I think I need to get organized.

Considering dropping everything Green Lantern except Red Lanterns, dropping Aquaman, dropping everything X-Men except All-New and dropping Superior Spider-Man.

Got it this morning and loved it. I love what Alphona's doing with the art. Also...Circle Q and Chatty Bob. Awesome.

Whoa, used to use that logo for an avatar for a long time. Kinda threw me for a sec to see it again, haha.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I feel like I only liked Ms Marvel because of the delightful art. The writing felt pretty tone deaf and crappy with the laziest possible blonde american characters plucked out of Cliches 4 Dummies. The very name of KAMALA KHAN shows they want to hit those generic Peter Parker origin story notes but with a touch of modern spin (lol she writes fan-fiction), but I feel like that all gets in the way of anything truly interesting. Probably a good MY FIRST COMIC for a different readership mind, which may be what theyre using it as.

Its still one of few bright spots on an increasingly shitty Marvel release list. Even New Avengers is beginning to drag now with yet another "HERES ANOTHER GRUESOME REALITY DYING" filler comic while Dr Strange does 5 pages of canon importance. I hope New Warriors #1 is really, really, really good because I am lacking a great deal of cape-hype post cancellation of all my fave books :/

Messi

Thinking about really condensing my pull list. I've been basically grabbing whatever catches my interest week to week, but I think I need to get organized.

Considering dropping everything Green Lantern except Red Lanterns, dropping Aquaman, dropping everything X-Men except All-New and dropping Superior Spider-Man.

Whoa, used to use that logo for an avatar for a long time. Kinda threw me for a sec to see it again, haha.

Might as well just finish out superior now..

Dysun

They need to get Cornell off this book, it's terrible

Toa TAK

Banned
I thought that was only happening for #26? Is it still going to be an awkward mix from here on in? I like Cammuncoli's art enough for him to just finish up the series.
Might as well just finish out superior now..

PLEEEEASE! Bookend this series. Or do all of Amazing Spider-Man or something.

Anything but... you know who...

Pie and Beans

I thought that was only happening for #26? Is it still going to be an awkward mix from here on in? I like Cammuncoli's art enough for him to just finish up the series.

Sorry, I was referring to the joyous time of Scarlet Spider with amazing Stegman art and Yost writing combined before Stegman was lured into Slott's schlock-land and now got passed a Wolverine book nobody wants to read. Wish he'd landed on the new Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny Avengers or New Avengers. Just something of adequate quality that isn't doomed to cancellation within 18 months aka; New Warriors, the 2nd death of Scarlet Spider in the making.

Toa TAK

Banned
Sorry, I was referring to the joyous time of Scarlet Spider with amazing Stegman art and Yost writing combined before Stegman was lured into Slott's schlock-land and now got passed a Wolverine book nobody wants to read. Wish he'd landed on the new Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny Avengers or New Avengers. Just something of adequate quality that isn't doomed to cancellation within 18 months aka; New Warriors, the 2nd death of Scarlet Spider in the making.

Ah okay. I know he did art for Scarlett Spider, but I got confused. My bee.

They need to get Cornell off this book, it's terrible
Just wait until Spetember's issue 13 that is gojng to change everything!

Goodness, admist all the chaos and carnage there was actually a sliver of hope in Earth 2!
You're kidding. I just can't quit this book. Bat's origin was so lame and I don't want another Superman character. So in DC can promote to outlets like EW and USAToday, "Look Superman is black now!"

Unai

Holy Mother of God!

Several weeks ago I started reading the Green Lantern comic books from 2005 and further (thank you, comixology!). I only started reading DC after the New 52, so I didn't know a lot about the DC universe outside of the movies and cartoons.

I'm in the middle of the Sinestro's War now, and I have to say, I'm having a blast! I think I just found my favorite super heroes. The history is so ahead of everything I have ever read in a comic book (al least to me) that is not even funny. Every time I finish reading an issue I want to read the next one to know what is going to happen.

Looking foward to the Blackest Night.

tim1138

There is a scene in Earth 2 will a slightly cheesy monologue, it's basically Taylor speaking through
Lois
about his love for the character of
Superman
. It was a nice calm before the storm issue for the Wonders, but Lord knows the rest of the populace is still getting royally effed in the a by
Supes

There is a scene in Earth 2 will a slightly cheesy monologue, it's basically Taylor speaking through
Lois
about his love for the character of
Superman
. It was a nice calm before the storm issue for the Wonders, but Lord knows the rest of the populace is still getting royally effed in the a by
Supes

Yeah, that interview that Tom Taylor did was interesting because
of how much he seems to love Superman and how much he wishes that he could write the happy-go-lucky Superman. It's almost a shame that he has been so effective at the Asshole Superman and coincidence that he has been given two of them to work with.

Green Arrow 28. Slow clap, bravo!, crowd cheer, 10, happy dance, fist pump. Book is amazing.

Guys.....it's happening!

These were the original solicitation details for Catwoman #29, out in March.

Written by: Ann Nocenti Art by: Patrick Olliffe Cover by: Rachel Dodson, Terry Dodson

Catwoman is tired of slumming it, so she’s making her bid for high society. There, she’ll find her greatest challenge yet: proving herself the best thief in the world! “The Race of Outlaws” starts here!

Well, that appears to have been amended to the following,

Written by Sholly Fisch, with art by Patrick Olliffe and Tom Nguyen and a cover by Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson.

In this story, Catwoman goes undercover via Gotham City’s high society when she’s recruited to infiltrate WayneTech! But what – or who – is lurking within?

So… will there be no Race Of Outlaws at all?

Cheska

Guys.....it's happening!

You know, I thought you guys were over exaggerating about how horrible Catwoman had gotten...but then I caught up. I kept thinking, it'll get better, one more issue but it just kept getting more twisted and fucking dumb. At least the Zero Year and Gothopia tie ins were well done, and I'll definitely be trying it out if it's a new writer on board.

tim1138

Yeah, that interview that Tom Taylor did was interesting because
of how much he seems to love Superman and how much he wishes that he could write the happy-go-lucky Superman. It's almost a shame that he has been so effective at the Asshole Superman and coincidence that he has been given two of them to work with.

Yeah it's pretty clear he created
Val
to fill that niche for himself as a writer.

ReiGun said:
Characters being all smiley and enjoying each other's company, if only for a moment. This is not the Earth 2 I know!

Also, dat Aquawoman.

Aquawoman is pretty fantastic and needs to stick around.

Green Arrow 28. Slow clap, bravo!, crowd cheer, 10, happy dance, fist pump. Book is amazing.

Can't wait to read it!

Guys.....it's happening!

UKmiH63.gif

tim1138

Bought that GL/RL flipbook issue to see Red Lantern Kara and man I dunno what's worse, Venditti's writing or Billy Tan's art. The human anterns alternate between looking like adults and teenagers from one panel to the next, and Hal's face and mask seems to change from panel to panel as well. As strong of a grasp as Soule has on Guy and the Reds, Venditti is completely lacking on Hal. Glad I dropped that when Johns left.

Messi

Guys.....it's happening!

You know, I thought you guys were over exaggerating about how horrible Catwoman had gotten...but then I caught up. I kept thinking, it'll get better, one more issue but it just kept getting more twisted and fucking dumb. At least the Zero Year and Gothopia tie ins were well done, and I'll definitely be trying it out if it's a new writer on board.

Cheska, you should have believed me. It is truly some horrendous shit. I am glad to see the nightmare is nearly over and that hack is being removed from the book.

Zero year by Layman was cool though.

tim1138

I realize I'm probably not Marvel's intended audience (since I don't do tumblr fan fic or whatever the kids are into these days) for Ms Marvel, but good lord was the ending incredibly forced and ham fisted. Thank goodness the art was so stunning.

I realize I'm probably not Marvel's intended audience (since I don't do tumblr fan fic or whatever the kids are into these days) for Ms Marvel, but good lord was the ending incredibly forced and ham fisted. Thank goodness the art was so stunning.
Was that thing posted on BC with yhe captains? When are these brahs going to stop having forty plus year olds write teen characters? It's like doreigners that learned english through MTV or Howard Cassel. There is a twenty five year old brah out there that works at Walmart that can do it for $9.30 page rate.

I don't think I've read a more fucked up cape book than I did with the Jokers Daughter 1shot. Marguerite Bennett really dived into the character and brought out this very mentally disturbed teenager. I thought it was really well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom