• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephidel

Edit: Is it official that Gambit holding the cats is the main cover? I'm going to have to hunt down a place that has variants if it isn't. :(
I think (and hope) it is - solicits have the main cover listed as Kris Anka & Jared K. Fletcher, and on tumblr Anka says twice (1, 2) that the Gambit & Cats cover by them :)
(The first of those has the image pre-yellow as well)

JRJr's Superman looks kind of old. I think it's the face? :|

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Deal.

But serious, if "Man of Tomorrow" is Geoff's angle for the book I am definitely intrigued. Would suggest a focus on the uplifting version of Superman.

Johns has some making up to do after that Justice League run, and hopefully this is where he starts. I'm in.

I think (and hope) it is - solicits have the main cover listed as Kris Anka & Jared K. Fletcher, and on tumblr Anka says twice (1, 2) that the Gambit & Cats cover by them :)
(The first of those has the image pre-yellow as well)

JRJr's Superman looks kind of old. I think it's the face? :|

YESSSS, if they make the pre yellow one a variant I'll try to pick that up also. Love the look of the cover.

Read that interview with Soule about Inhuman. Haven't read anything by the guy but it's hard not to be enthusiastic after the reviews some of his other books have had the last year, and with what he's saying there. I'd probably prefer to try out Letter 44 first, see how he is off the leash so to speak, but I could see myself checking out Inhuman.

Always had a soft spot for Mad too. Even though I can't stand most of the 90s art I grew up on, I do still like Joe Mad, I remember sitting with the issues when I was a kid where Sabretooth gutted psylocke, getting shipped off to X-Factor in secret, I definitely loved that stuff then haha.

On the superman thing, will have to just wait and see. JRJR's another guy I have a soft spot for, Ben Reilly spider-man haha, but Johns. The only thing I've read by him is the first volume of the new 52 justice league book, it really did him no favours.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read that interview with Soule about Inhuman. Haven't read anything by the guy but it's hard not to be enthusiastic after the reviews some of his other books have had the last year, and with what he's saying there. I'd probably prefer to try out Letter 44 first, see how he is off the leash so to speak, but I could see myself checking out Inhuman.

Always had a soft spot for Mad too. Even though I can't stand most of the 90s art I grew up on, I do still like Joe Mad, I remember sitting with the issues when I was a kid where Sabretooth gutted psylocke, getting shipped off to X-Factor in secret, I definitely loved that stuff then haha.

On the superman thing, will have to just wait and see. JRJR's another guy I have a soft spot for, Ben Reilly spider-man haha, but Johns. The only thing I've read by him is the first volume of the new 52 justice league book, it really did him no favours.

You read the Worst of Geoff Johns, Vol.3. The man has big stories in him that are trying to come out, unfortunately his writing and head-dude-in-charge duties can't keep up.

Check out his Superboy book with Manapul and Final Crisis; Rogues Revenge. They're short, great stories that showcase Johns' talent.

I have soured in Inhuman. It was my most anticipated book but now.....eh. Putting the ultimate company man on the book says pretty much all about it. I mean Matt Fraction had to have been putting out a product ao bad that they didn't want to see the light of day. They published Fear Itself, Morbius, Original Sin Nd Gillen's Iron Man.

But serious, if "Man of Tomorrow" is Geoff's angle for the book I am definitely intrigued. Would suggest a focus on the uplifting version of Superman.

I think I remember Geoff John's talking about how he has always liked time travel on one of the Fatman on Batman podcasts...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have soured in Inhuman. It was my most anticipated book but now.....eh. Putting the ultimate company man on the book says pretty much all about it. I mean Matt Fraction had to have been putting out a product ao bad that they didn't want to see the light of day. They published Fear Itself, Morbius, Original Sin Nd Gillen's Iron Man.

I'm definitely tempering my expectations as well. I don't like it. :/ But I will give it a shot.

Damn, University is seriously cutting into my comic reading time. Didn't even get to post my list for this week... Oh well, looking forward to Marvel's new number 1's tomorrow. Loki should be fun and Punisher looks great. Could be a good day.

Owzers

Soule interview for Inhuman does sound interesting, but it's hard to shake the feeling that this is an editorial mandate type book and that Soule is just doing what needs to be done before it gets incorporated in some type of event.

Damn, University is seriously cutting into my comic reading time. Didn't even get to post my list for this week... Oh well, looking forward to Marvel's new number 1's tomorrow. Loki should be fun and Punisher looks great. Could be a good day.

I know the feeling. I'm still working through last semester's backlog and I'm about to start another semester. Looking at the timetable though, I might be able to maintain some kind of regular reading schedule, outside of the pre-scribed readings. Uni is definitely a time hog.

Soule interview for Inhuman does sound interesting, but it's hard to shake the feeling that this is an editorial mandate type book and that Soule is just doing what needs to be done before it gets incorporated in some type of event.
It already had an event before it launched! I give it three maybe four issues before its in a new event. Then it gets a new ongoing artist, which was the plan all along.
I mean have you SEEN all the games coming out in March? Joe Mad aint got time.

woodypop

I've never been a JRJR fan, but I'll give it a shot. I remember how pissed I was a kid when I got Uncanny X-Men #300 and he had taken over on art. His characters always seemed weirdly blocky to me.
Oh god, I remember when I was a kid and got Uncanny X-Men #200. (Which was done by a less-blocky Romita Jr. lol)

#getoffmylawn

Good question, I have a bunch of omnibus and hardcover editions myself and I've just been keeping them on a bookshelf upright. Hopefully that isn't too damaging to them over the long run.

That's what I'd been doing. That one post put the fear into me though and I didn't know if standing them (the DC One Million Omnibus in particular) upright would lead to the binding breaking. I'm sure you haven't been damaging your collections.

I read that cutting out a thin cardboard piece to put under the bottom pages helps with sagging, i can't say how my results were since some of my books were sagging before i started doing that Xo. Just make sure the piece isn't too thick so it's not pushing up the pages too much, perfect fit between the front and back cover!

Thanks! That's what I was looking for! I actually rearranged my bookcase last night and laid the two Omnibus editions on horizontally on the bottom shelf. I'll leave them there for the moment until I find some cardboard.

It's the DC One Million Omnibus that I'm most worried about. It's insanely heavy and I was concerned the glue binding wouldn't be able to maintain a hold on the pages, especially after I've read through it a few times. I read that Marvel Omnibus editions are better bound, such as the Fantastic Four (Hickman) Omnibus, because they are stitched, not glued.

8bit

Knows the Score
Part of me wishes I could have lived through COIE just to experience this version of that.

The real Batman would waste a motha- what is this hippy no kill bullshit?!

Superman can tow a galaxy, what is this depowered bullshit?!

That was around the time I got into comics, just before Crisis. Used to get old bundles of Green Arrow / Green Lantern, Brave and the Bold & DC Presents from newsagents then it all went crazy.

ElNarez

Banned
I straight up don't get the hate for any part of that JRJr / Johns announcement. Like, yeah, sure, you pretty much know by the sixth issue, someone will tell someone else "Dang, this Superman, he's really showing us the way of the future", to which that guy will respond "Yeah, he's a real MAN OF TOMORROW", but honestly? It doesn't look that bad.

I straight up don't get the hate for any part of that JRJr / Johns announcement. Like, yeah, sure, you pretty much know by the sixth issue, someone will tell someone else "Dang, this Superman, he's really showing us the way of the future", to which that guy will respond "Yeah, he's a real MAN OF TOMORROW", but honestly? It doesn't look that bad.

I have no problem with the approach, I just don't think JRJR is a great fit, at least in the one single drawing we've seen.

Holy fucking balls. I just bought three books from IST and spent $78. I am cry.

Infinity
TMNT Ongoing Vol.6
Locke & Key Vol.6 w/ series slipcase

Next week looks pretty hefty, too. Though cheaper books:

She-Hulk Complete Collection Vol.1
Prophet Vol.3
Fatale Vol.4
Atomic Robo Vol.8
TMNT Ongoing Vol.7

Messi

Holy fucking balls. I just bought three books from IST and spent $78. I am cry.

Infinity
TMNT Ongoing Vol.6
Locke & Key Vol.6 w/ series slipcase

Prophet Vol.3
Fatale Vol.4
Atomic Robo Vol.8
TMNT Ongoing Vol.7

Atleast you have the IST option, try only using your local shop and paying cover price. Or maybe Amazon. Great pickups though. Jealous of the Infinity HC.

Atleast you have the IST option, try only using your local shop and paying cover price. Or maybe Amazon. Great pickups though. Jealous of the Infinity HC.

Well, IST ships internationally, now. But you'll still get raped on shipping for international orders, unfortunately.

Veil's artwork looks pretty incredible. I didn't think the entire book was going to look like that. :O

Veil #1 Preview (CBR)

3008-VEIL-AD-9b222.jpg
23945-c3830.jpg

Yeah I put a few books in and the shipping was 3/4 of the order sadly.

Eh, don't even complain. I also collect PVC figures of anime and video game characters. I have to import all that shit from Japan, and if I buy three or so figures at once, I usually end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 on shipping. In addition to the $150-$200 for the figures themselves. XD

Veil's artwork looks pretty incredible. I didn't think the entire book was going to look like that. :O

Veil #1 Preview (CBR)

This looks interesting, I might pick it up. The artwork looks a little gritty, but not quite on the level of something by Maleev. It's a good look, though.

Messi

Eh, don't even complain. I also collect PVC figures of anime and video game characters. I have to import all that shit from Japan, and if I buy three or so figures at once, I usually end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 on shipping. In addition to the $150-$200 for the figures themselves. XD

This looks interesting, I might pick it up. The artwork looks a little gritty, but not quite on the level of something by Maleev. It's a good look, though.

I buy comic statues from the USA/Japan, I know/share that pain.

Prophet Vol.3
Fatale Vol.4
Atomic Robo Vol.8
TMNT Ongoing Vol.7
I'm putting together another IST order, i may wait til next week so i can get She-Hulk CC.

Prophet I wanna start reading but i also want the backups, and those are never collected

Omega

Banned
i want to get the Infinity HC, but at the same time i have so much I need to catch up on while also reading through A Song of Ice and Fire.

why can't there be 48 hours in a day

Well, IST ships internationally, now. But you'll still get raped on shipping for international orders, unfortunately.

Is it not possible to view the postage and handling before submitting an order? I am trying to do just that, but cannot for the life of me see a quote. I don't want to complete the order to find out, only for it to be too late to cancel if the charges are too expensive.

Want Veil in ma veins so much right now. Preview is perfect. I'm thinking this will be Rucka's outlet post punisher for those kind of feelings.

You know, rereading God Butcher/God Bomb again today, and you know what's amazing? No (traditional) Asgard. No Loki. No Odin bar one panel. No earth or regular support cast, Aaron plays with the fire that is time travel, and still, incredible story.

Also those teases for the future:
guardian of the galaxy? Moves to the Sun? Becomes cosmic space cop?
I hope Aaron stays on until he's covered every idea he has for this book. Unbelievable.

I definitely need to try Johns again with something more well known to be better. I understand that volume of Justice League I read had a *purpose* to bring in the broader most mainstream fans possible, but still, absolutely terrible.

Also don't get me wrong guys, I'm not heaving for Inhuman here, just saying I'm interesting. Original Sin on the other hand...yesss plssss

Messi

Want Veil in ma veins so much right now. Preview is perfect. I'm thinking this will be Rucka's outlet post punisher for those kind of feelings.

You know, rereading God Butcher/God Bomb again today, and you know what's amazing? No (traditional) Asgard. No Loki. No Odin bar one panel. No earth or regular support cast, Aaron plays with the fire that is time travel, and still, incredible story.

Also those teases for the future:
guardian of the galaxy? Moves to the Sun? Becomes cosmic space cop?
I hope Aaron stays on until he's covered every idea he has for this book. Unbelievable.

I definitely need to try Johns again with something more well known to be better. I understand that volume of Justice League I read had a *purpose* to bring in the broader most mainstream fans possible, but still, absolutely terrible.

Also don't get me wrong guys, I'm not heaving for Inhuman here, just saying I'm interesting. Original Sin on the other hand...yesss plssss

Fantastic book, Current day Thor is best thor though.

This art pleases me. And what also make me happy is (tags for those who don't want to spoil themselves with the preview) this woman
looks to have some agency. I know with Rucka, it should be a given. But I was concerned at first that the character was gonna be a victim of one ilk or another. But on the contrary. Certain panels indicate to me that our protagonist may have purposely decided on this new start, such as it is.

REALLY excited for this.

arkon

Superman's left leg looks really wrong. And why all the lines across the costume? Are they supposed to be bits of armour? On an invulnerable man?

NEW 52- DON'T ASK JUST BUY

They changed his costume for the new 52. Some sort of Kryptonian battle armour or something.

Decided to read Invincible #1 which I downloaded for free some time last year. Just now I finished reading #4. What is it about Kirkman books that I find so addicting?

I love Invincible! The books does real down-to-earth moments well. The characters feel real. The tone is as though this is happening in our world. You get to see a young hero take pleasure in his new powers, which is fun! And the characters totally ARE fun-to-root-for heroes! Invincible and Omni-Man the Teen Team. Such awesome.

I love Invincible! The books does real down-to-earth moments well. The characters feel real. The tone is as though this is happening in our world. You get to see a young hero take pleasure in his new powers, which is fun! And the characters totally ARE fun-to-root-for heroes! Invincible and Omni-Man the Teen Team. Such awesome.

oh man, you're in for a treat. The story and artwork just get so much better. This is a book I buy monthly in addition to buying the hardcover collections as they're released. It's one of the best cape books I've ever read.

Owzers

Invincible is great, the art really makes it special though, it's vibrant event when it's over the top violent.

If you start from the beginning, it's amazing to see how much Ryan Ottley's art improves over the years.
I agree. I went back and looked at early issues and was surprised at the difference.

Oh and Lucifer run on comixology. Highly recommended for sandman fans. Carey did amazing work on it

You guys are going to flip your shit when you see the previews for Zero #6. Vanesa Del Rey's art is ridiculous.

Also, my kid is watching Green Lantern the animated series before school time right now, and Larfleeze just showed up. This show is so good haha.

If you start from the beginning, it's amazing to see how much Ryan Ottley's art improves over the years.
Ottley didn't come on until the 20's. Ottley still isone of my favorite cape artists, Rauch's colors fit so well.

I dont know how Marvel is going to keep these Miracleman reprints going. You cant keep charging five dollars for 22 pages on Walmart quality bath tissue. Then the rest of ghe pages are just pure filler. Damn they must owe Gaiman a lot of money.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its not directly a Comic, but I think this will be the best thread to talk about it.
Just bought one of this insanely books dedicated to the different phases in the history of DC. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3836535734/

Its a great book with very interesting informations and all this stuff and even while DC is as good as non existant, when it comes to non-Batman Comics in my Comicbook-Shelf, I just love it.

Do you know if there is a similar book dedicated to Marvel?

Checking out the amrvel previews bleeding cool has up ,some of these look so good. Secret Avengers with Kot looks like it'll be fantastic, and Ellis Moon Knight looks pretty awesome too. Not much to go on but I have real hopes for Latour on x-men too, his winter soldier was ridiculously good.

Decided to read Invincible #1 which I downloaded for free some time last year. Just now I finished reading #4. What is it about Kirkman books that I find so addicting?

Probably my favorite ongoing cape series. You are in for a wild ride, it only gets better from here. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom