• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness.

X-Force 123. Best issue ever or best issue ever?

X-Force_Vol_1_123_Textless.jpg

X-Statix just keeps getting better and better.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh my goodness.

X-Force_Vol_1_123_Textless.jpg

Great but not the best. That Darwyn Cooke issue that has the page with Edie and Guy touching through the wall. Incredible. Issue 124?

The entire X-force run is perfect. X-Statix unravels a bit towards the end but it's a hell of a ride.

I'm so happy to see people enjoying X-Force and X-Statix. It's my all time favourite and led me to really loving Allred's artwork. Reading it on release was the first time I'd ventured outside of the standard superhero stuff, I feel it helped me grow as a comic book reader.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Inked Stegman is like a new artist.

His Stuff On Wolverine >>>>>>>>>>>>> *

Nope, no way no how. This is just your weekly prozac high kicking in or something. Beyond the kick-ass first panel, this is the worst comic he's had to put out. Maybe he just couldn't get enthused over having to draw total no-name shmucks for half of it, or just rushed deadline, I dunno. He's also got a newborn kid on the way, so life juggling is at an all-time high I'm sure.
aPGHFqR.jpg

His brief Fantastic Four couple of issues stint was fucking amazing (possibly his best), issues on Scarlet Spider when the inker gave his work a wide berth rather than over-simplifying, and his Superior Spider-Man issues were also top shelf. Theres something distinctly lacking beyond the one or two action page splashes in Wolverine #1. The atrocious plot and shitty writing probably don't help.

Eldren

How come nobody has ever said how good the superior foes of spiderman is? Just picked up issues 1-5 over the weekend, good stuff!

I have the first trade pre-ordered (it's scheduled to release about a month from now) and I'm really looking forward to it. I loved Steve Lieber's Hawkeye issue and from what I've heard it's a really funny book.

I have two books on the way. I pre-ordered Avengers Arena volume 3 a while back so once I finish the Secret Warriors omnibus (might be a while yet) I'll probably binge on all 3 of those trades. I've heard good stuff about the series so I'm excited to check it out.

I also managed to get the Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection (the start of Brubaker's Captain America run) for £20 as opposed to the more typical price of £50. I had some help from donie on that one. I kind of want to read it before I see the film, so I've got two months to get on that.

Got back from the comic shop a little while ago. Grabbed my pulls along with a few impulse buys. Picked up:

Ms. Marvel #1
Red Lanterns / Green Lanterns #28
Lazarus #6
X-Men #10.NOW
Black Widow #3

and the impulse buys:

Swamp Thing #28
Punisher #1

Oh my goodness.

I'm so happy to see people enjoying X-Force and X-Statix. It's my all time favourite and led me to really loving Allred's artwork.

X-Statix was my first Marvel omnibus (Iron Fist doesn't count because it wasn't even the complete series). Bought it around the time it came out, mainly because of the Michael Allred art. But man, that series blew me away. So great. I'll buy most anything that Allred does artwork for, so I'm looking forward to seeing the new Silver Surfer series.

Witness a potential comics superstar spread its wings http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50720

Its from BOOM so I am worried. The only thing that can have a decent run there is Adevnture Time. At least its not Oni.

Looks pretty good. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

ElNarez

Banned
Everyone on twitter being all like "Why Stephen why this is gonna go wrong aaaaah" because of New Avengers #13 when the idea things are gonna go perfectly right is even fucking scarier, considering what we're dealing with.

EDIT: Also, you should be even more scared because yeah, this is gonna go right, but it's still not going to be enough. Everything dies, motherfuckers. EVERYTHING. DIES.

dan2026

Everyone on twitter being all like "Why Stephen why this is gonna go wrong aaaaah" because of New Avengers #13 when the idea things are gonna go perfectly right is even fucking scarier, considering what we're dealing with.

Strange knows what he is doing.

And really given the stakes, any port in a storm.

Nope, no way no how. This is just your weekly prozac high kicking in or something. Beyond the kick-ass first panel, this is the worst comic he's had to put out. Maybe he just couldn't get enthused over having to draw total no-name shmucks for half of it, or just rushed deadline, I dunno. He's also got a newborn kid on the way, so life juggling is at an all-time high I'm sure.
aPGHFqR.jpg

His brief Fantastic Four couple of issues stint was fucking amazing (possibly his best), issues on Scarlet Spider when the inker gave his work a wide berth rather than over-simplifying, and his Superior Spider-Man issues were also top shelf. Theres something distinctly lacking beyond the one or two action page splashes in Wolverine #1. The atrocious plot and shitty writing probably don't help.

Dang, that ain't bad. I'm just so glad he's getting inked again. That Superior stuff was too flimsy.

ReiGun

Ms. Marvel #1: Hmm....meh. A young girl struggling with her racial and cultural identity is an interesting and worthwhile angle to take, but did not like the way it was handled nor did I walk away particularly liking or interested in Kamala. The art was lovely though.

Action Comics #28: I'm not one to ship characters as I don't believe every instance of two people having a pleasant interaction = deep burning love. However, I'll be damned if it doesn't look like Pak is pushing Lana and Clark hard here.

Forever Evil #5: I lol'd when
Luthor and crew gave Batman the "We will fuck you up. Lower your motherfucking voice" face when Bruce tried to buck at them.
I still can't ignore that not much has happened in this series though. The best parts of this event have been Rogues and JLA.

Green Arrow #28: Book of the week so far. This "Outsider's War" arc has been great so far. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just bought the complete collection of unknown soldier for $25, hopefully it doesn't suck. :p

You got the Joshua Dysart one, right?

I just saw an ad for a new Garth Ennis Unknown Soldier collection, and now I'm really curious about that one.

Filthy Slug

Goddam someone with talent please create a Doc Strange kngoing. Has Marvel figured out how to write magic yet,Quesada?

There was an issue of Matt Fraction's Defenders that dealt with some punk trying to out-magic strange and it's one of the best Dr. Strange comic's I've ever read. I think Fraction could kill on an ongoing.

Green Arrow #25: Book of the week so far. This "Outsider's War" arc has been great so far. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

I think you meant 28 and not only book of the week but if DC fans are honest with themselves, a contender for book of the month.

I have two books on the way. I pre-ordered Avengers Arena volume 3 a while back so once I finish the Secret Warriors omnibus (might be a while yet) I'll probably binge on all 3 of those trades. I've heard good stuff about the series so I'm excited to check it out.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

You'll be caught up in time for Avengers Undercover. It's taking too long....

ReiGun

I think you meant 28 and not only book of the week but if DC fans are honest with themselves, a contender for book of the month.

Yeah, 28 I meant. And I totally agree. The book has been one of DC's best ever since Lemire took over and just gets better as time goes on. He and Sorrentino are putting in work, here.

This is probably the stupidest question ever but will Galactus be in the new Silver Surfer book? Is that, like, a given or is he dead or something? I don't hear word of him and that's too bad because he is fucking amazing.

Splatt

This is probably the stupidest question ever but will Galactus be in the new Silver Surfer book? Is that, like, a given or is he dead or something? I don't hear word of him and that's too bad because he is fucking amazing.

He's currently busy destroying Ultimate universe.

Forever Evil 5 was just all kinds of summer popcorn flick fun.

Black Manta tearing Shadow Thief in half.
Deathstroke holding a gun to Luthors head.
Luthor talking Deathstroke into joining him.
Deathstroke popping Copperhead in the head.
I like Deathstroke if you didn't know.
Sinestro just absolutely obliterating Power Ring. Dead! Damn!
Then the ultimate fun, Batman trying to boss Bizarro, Lex, Sinestro, Black Adam and Deathstroke around and say he is in charge and they just look at him like he is off his marbles. Then Selina softly whispers in his ear, "they're in charge".
Last, the start of the creature that destroyed the CS world is coming here.

That was just pure fun and a joy to read. I smiled and laughed out loud and made faces at certain scenes and was reminded why this hobby is the best.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Avengers 14: Holy shit, our heroes are ultra fucked.
Even in a world where they team up with the X-Men and Doom, they still get rocked

Regular Galactus fused with Ultimate Gah-Lak-Tus and they are in the process of eating Earth.

I'd still be surprised if Galactus didn't show up at some point. He's pretty integral to the Silver Surfer's character. But you still have a bunch of other characters to explore, like the In-Betweener.

If Slott really wants to write Silver Surfer as the Marvel Universe's equivalent to the Doctor, he could always steal the "crack in the universe" plot thread from the last few years and bring Galactus back that way.

I'm excited for that book either way. I know most of you hated the preview but I really liked it, awkward attempts at Who-isms aside (such as Norrin talking to his "ship", or has the surfboard always had a personality?).

New Avengers 14: Holy shit, our heroes are ultra fucked.
Even in a world where they team up with the X-Men and Doom, they still get rocked

The mapmakers at least appear to be killable. The black priests laughed off fucking everything.

Strange just turned the dials up to 11, so we'll see where that goes.

Superior foes continues to be the best thing marvel is putting out though. Thanks Obama

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The mapmakers at least appear to be killable. The black priests laughed off fucking everything.

Strange just turned the dials up to 11, so we'll see where that goes.

Superior foes continues to be the best thing marvel is putting out though. Thanks Obama

Yea but it looks like you either take them all out at once or they beat you.
They adapted to both Magneto and Doom in seconds, the first time destroying all the X-Men at once with a genetic bomb or whatever.
I think Strange could take them now, but he'd have to kill them all in an instant.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Great but not the best. That Darwyn Cooke issue that has the page with Edie and Guy touching through the wall. Incredible. Issue 124?

The entire X-force run is perfect. X-Statix unravels a bit towards the end but it's a hell of a ride.

That one was great too. Another issue that went and surprised me again at how good all around X-Statix is.
However, it made me realize how much I actually like Allred's art. I'm assuming Cooke was trying to imitate Allred a bit since it didn't look much like his other stuff I've seen, but his art in that issue did nothing for me at all. Seeing Allred's art in the next issue was very nice.

Messi

Punisher #1: Lovely Art and a pretty good opening issue, I get the feeling the real outline of the story will be established in the next issue. This served as a decent introduction to Frank.

Loki #1: I am not sure what I expected from this, I can't say I finished the book feeling satisfied. I really don't like the look they went for with Loki. Some of the dialog was funny/smartassy. The ending made want to see where the next issue goes, but just about. I really didn't expect
the twist with original Loki at the end and am not sure where they are going with this.

Night of the living Deadpool #1: They went with an interesting direction for the art, personally I really like how it looks. It is a very striking look only having Deadpool in colour. It is also interesting the different vibe deadpool gives off when there is nobody to bounce his jokes off of. He comes across much more unhinged/insane. I did get a fair few laughs from the zombies still being able to say some random things. I also really dig this series covers.

Yea but it looks like you either take them all out at once or they beat you.
They adapted to both Magneto and Doom in seconds, the first time destroying all the X-Men at once with a genetic bomb or whatever.
I think Strange could take them now, but he'd have to kill them all in an instant.

yeah, but literally NOTHING worked on the priests.

Power cosmic? immune. force blasts? they just reformed. Telepathy? just scanning them almost broke xavier's mind. Black Bolt screaming? useless. Magneto was an "omega level threat" to the mapmakers, but the priests barely took notice of him before obliterating him and everyone else with one. word.

The mapmakers seem a lot like the phalanx, personally. scan, adapt, etc. but not unkillable. I don't know WHAT plot device they're going to whip out to kill the priests, for whom science and magic are just "amusing concepts."

Cheska

Hey what do you guys think of Half Past Danger? One of the nice guys at my LCS suggested it today and admittedly it looked good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Power cosmic? immune. force blasts? they just reformed. Telepathy? just scanning them almost broke xavier's mind. Black Bolt screaming? useless. Magneto was an "omega level threat" to the mapmakers, but the priests barely took notice of him before obliterating him and everyone else with one. word.

The mapmakers seem a lot like the phalanx, personally. scan, adapt, etc. but not unkillable. I don't know WHAT plot device they're going to whip out to kill the priests, for whom science and magic are just "amusing concepts."

Yea the priests are far beyond anything we've ever seen before.

Filthy Slug

That one was great too. Another issue that went and surprised me again at how good all around X-Statix is.
However, it made me realize how much I actually like Allred's art. I'm assuming Cooke was trying to imitate Allred a bit since it didn't look much like his other stuff I've seen, but his art in that issue did nothing for me at all. Seeing Allred's art in the next issue was very nice.
That's interesting because that Darwyn issue is Darwyn through and through to me. He's using the x-statix specific color scheme but otherwise, I never once thought he was immitating Allred's style and I really loved his Edie. I dont even thing Mr. sensitive did a single double legged vault or tucked in flip! But i get what youre saying--that series belongs to Milligan and Allred.

Where's the ultimate nullifier when you need it.

tim1138

I vote for Green Arrow every single month, it's hands down the best thing DC is publishing.

I did read Phantom Stranger, and I agree, there are no filler or wasted issues. Week by week the plot keeps trucking along (and I mean that in a good way).

X-Statix was my first Marvel omnibus (Iron Fist doesn't count because it wasn't even the complete series). Bought it around the time it came out, mainly because of the Michael Allred art. But man, that series blew me away. So great. I'll buy most anything that Allred does artwork for, so I'm looking forward to seeing the new Silver Surfer series.

You clearly have great taste! I'm pretty much the same about Allred's artwork. I hope his FF gets at least the oversized HC treatment, andnthensame for Silver Surfer when it comes out. I'd love a hardcover collection of iZombie too for that matter...I think I just want all the hardcovers of anything Allred has done...all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom