• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I only picked up four comics today:

Superior Spider-Man #26
All New X-Men number...the GOTG crossover one
Avengers #25 or #26? Whichever one that got released last week.
Guardians of The Galaxy #11

I vote for Green Arrow every single month, it's hands down the best thing DC is publishing.

I know I cry about this often, but I really can't wait for this trade to arrive. I can't say I've been hugely impressed with Lemire's DC work. Animal Man, JLD, even Frankie, none of it has truly truly compelled me. Now I say that believing he is absolutely one of the most talented creators in the industry, and finding Sweet Tooth to be one of the most heart wrenching, endearing long form story I've ever read. I just don't think he fits cape books as well as some out creators. I believe with GA though. Having saw the previews, heard you guys speak about, read his interviews, this feels like THE one. It feels like the book that's the best fit for him, and the direction that's the best fit for the character. I really think this is going to blow me away. Plus Sorrentino. Hnng.

So I only picked up four comics today:

Superior Spider-Man #26
All New X-Men number...the GOTG crossover one
Avengers #25 or #26? Whichever one that got released last week.
Guardians of The Galaxy #11

What you thinking of the jean grey crossover then?

tim1138

I know I cry about this often, but I really can't wait for this trade to arrive. I can't say I've been hugely impressed with Lemire's DC work. Animal Man, JLD, even Frankie, none of it has truly truly compelled me. Now I say that believing he is absolutely one of the most talented creators in the industry, and finding Sweet Tooth to be one of the most heart wrenching, endearing long form story I've ever read. I just don't think he fits cape books as well as some out creators. I believe with GA though. Having saw the previews, heard you guys speak about, read his interviews, this feels like THE one. It feels like the book that's the best fit for him, and the direction that's the best fit for the character. I really think this is going to blow me away. Plus Sorrentino. Hnng.

This run on Green Arrow is hands down the best work for hire writing he's ever done, the most recent issues have put it ahead of those fantastic first 6 or so issues of Animal Man with Travel Foreman. After some thought, I've put my finger on what makes GA and those first Animal Man issues so good, much like his creator owned work they are personal stories that are really about the interplay and relationships of families (typically fathers and sons). His strongest suit as a story teller are those very grounded, personal stories.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
That's interesting because that Darwyn issue is Darwyn through and through to me. He's using the x-statix specific color scheme but otherwise, I never once thought he was immitating Allred's style and I really loved his Edie. I dont even thing Mr. sensitive did a single double legged vault or tucked in flip! But i get what youre saying--that series belongs to Milligan and Allred.

Haha. Go figure. :p
To be fair, I haven't seen much of Cooke's work. I've seen a bit of New Frontier and his Wolverine and Doop miniseries (and I loved the art in both of those cases), but that's about it. From what I recall on those, Cooke had a very crisp, clean style, but on the X-Force issue it seemed almost the opposite, with a much less crisp, clean sort of style. I think it may have to do with him (or the inker?) using really thick lines in the X-Force issue.

This run on Green Arrow is hands down the best work for hire writing he's ever done, the most recent issues have put it ahead of those fantastic first 6 or so issues of Animal Man with Travel Foreman. After some thought, I've put my finger on what makes GA and those first Animal Man issues so good, much like his creator owned work they are personal stories that are really about the interplay and relationships of families (typically fathers and sons). His strongest suit as a story teller are those vety grounded, personal stories.

This is all music to my ears man. I've been quite a fan of Ollie through the show, and not only are you right there with what draws a good story out of Lemire, I think it's good for the character. It seems like a synergistic relationship between character and creator. You really can't go wrong with Sorrentino as your partner too. It was amazing how fast Ivamp went off the rails after Sorrentino came off, going from incredible to eh. Absolutely you could put some of that down to the rushed oncoming cancellation, but the art transformed that world, made you believe in it's horror. I can't wait to see all Sorrentino's work on GA.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I vote for Green Arrow every single month, it's hands down the best thing DC is publishing.

I did read Phantom Stranger, and I agree, there are no filler or wasted issues. Week by week the plot keeps trucking along (and I mean that in a good way).

I just finished Green Arrow. Flawless issue. That fight with
Ollie's father
using panels as a backdrop was something else. Sorrentino needs to stay at DC and especially Green Arrow for now.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sorentino is amazing. The way he draws action scenes within typical comic book action words is amazing everytime.

Art spoiler not story.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bfv7YyRIAAACO5g.jpg

Yo, I was going to say that STUNK is my new favorite onomatopoeia. Also, good call on spoilering that. When you turn the page and hit that, you just have to pause, hug the book, and then stare for 10 minutes with drool dripping down the side of your mouth.

Keith Giffen on JL3000: "They're NOT Clones" (Newsarama)

Nrama: And the book called him "Barry," but he had red hair. You do know you got Wally West fans excited with the early images of this redhead.

Giffen: I know, I know. I saw the red hair and just thought, well, we can attribute that to incomplete records and the process. I wanted to avoid the "he's Wally!" or the "he's Kon-El!" No, they're not. Please stop saying that. I'm not lying to you about that. They're really, really not. All you're doing is setting yourself up for a disappointment, if you're going in that direction. That was not Wally.
So, what's the next theory?

tim1138

I just finished Green Arrow. Flawless issue. That fight with
Ollie's father
using panels as a backdrop was something else. Sorrentino needs to stay at DC and especially Green Arrow for now.

The way Sorrentino uses panels in the page layouts is some straight up Frank Quitely shit. He's just operating on a different level than any other artist right now.

A little stupid, to be honest. Crossover was unneeded and the reason to hold a trial felt a little silly, but hey, Bendis gotta get them comics off the shelf.

Also, getting a little hyped for Remender on Winter Soldier. I really enjoyed his Uncanny X-Force, so I hope his Winter Soldier is up to scratch.

ReiGun

Sorentino is amazing. The way he draws action scenes within typical comic book action words is amazing everytime.

Art spoiler not story.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bfv7YyRIAAACO5g.jpg

n6DZ7.png

That was soooooo good.

Is it good from the beginning of the reboot or has it just recently gotten good?
It's good from when Jeef Lemire takes over at issue 17.

Forever Evil 5 was just all kinds of summer popcorn flick fun.

Black Manta tearing Shadow Thief in half.
Deathstroke holding a gun to Luthors head.
Luthor talking Deathstroke into joining him.
Deathstroke popping Copperhead in the head.
I like Deathstroke if you didn't know.
Sinestro just absolutely obliterating Power Ring. Dead! Damn!
Then the ultimate fun, Batman trying to boss Bizarro, Lex, Sinestro, Black Adam and Deathstroke around and say he is in charge and they just look at him like he is off his marbles. Then Selina softly whispers in his ear, "they're in charge".
Last, the start of the creature that destroyed the CS world is coming here.

That was just pure fun and a joy to read. I smiled and laughed out loud and made faces at certain scenes and was reminded why this hobby is the best.

What do you think the creature is? Their version of Darkseid?

yeah, but literally NOTHING worked on the priests.

Power cosmic? immune. force blasts? they just reformed. Telepathy? just scanning them almost broke xavier's mind. Black Bolt screaming? useless. Magneto was an "omega level threat" to the mapmakers, but the priests barely took notice of him before obliterating him and everyone else with one. word.

The mapmakers seem a lot like the phalanx, personally. scan, adapt, etc. but not unkillable. I don't know WHAT plot device they're going to whip out to kill the priests, for whom science and magic are just "amusing concepts."

I think the answer lies in the incursions themselves. Their is a reason why future Iron-Woman gave Tony the ultimate tool to stop an incursion and I think it is not simply a one-time free out of jail card for the Illuminati.

ReiGun

I think there's only one Darkseid; Apokalips and New Genesis seem to exist outside the multiverse. So either Darkseid has come back, or it's something else. Could be the Anti-Monitor.

There is only one Darkseid. All of the New Gods are abstracts that exist outside of the multiverse and are able to manifest projections of themselves in the different universes.
E2, World's Finest and JL offer some answers and hints to this.

tim1138

There is only one Darkseid. All of the New Gods are abstracts that exist outside of the multiverse and are able to manifest projections of themselves in the different universes.

Haha I feel like we had this conversation a month or so ago.

ReiGun

Of course, the New Gods only being abstracts makes the fact that Wonder Woman went to New Genesis kind of weird. Maybe we were just seeing what Diana perceived as New Genesis? Or maybe I'm interpreting this abstract business wrongly?

It was basically confirmed in the Darkseid Villain Month issue wasn't it?

Of course, the New Gods only being abstracts makes the fact that Wonder Woman went to New Genesis kind of weird. Maybe we were just seeing what Diana perceived as New Genesis? Or maybe I'm interpreting this abstract business wrongly?

I think we need to wait till we get more info on this, as Morrison explained the whole thing before the last reboot and we do not know how much survived the journed to the N52. As far as I get it, even when WW is on New Genesis she will be completly dwarfed by the NG, but the main problem happens when a NG is crossing over into the Multiverse with full force as than space/time crashes/starts to crash as seen in Final Crisis.

What we know to be true in the N52:
We know that NG/Apokolips is outside the Multiverse as shown in the Darkseid issue.
Kal and Diana were both seen on New Genesis (WW) and Apokolips (JL).
We have heard that Cyborg got the JL to Apokolios.

Picked up Unwritten TP 8 and Ms. Marvel.

Was kinda hoping Wilson would have avoided the stereotypes given she is a converted muslim herself and her ability to weave a story given Air.

Hard to say how much is her and how much is Marvel editors. I'll stick with it for a few issues and hope it picks up.

n6DZ7.png

That was soooooo good.

It's good from when Jeef Lemire takes over at issue 17.

It became great when Lemire started writing. I think he started on issue 17 or 18.

Issue 17 is when Lemire/Sorrentino took over and it was a huge leap in quality.

Issue 17 is where that creative team gets onboard. I've heard you can pretty much go from there and the first 16 are not worth bothering with.

Start with issue 17 and ignore 1-16 like the plague.

Awesomesauce, thanks guys!

Yes. At least most of it. :)

EDIT: And I love your avatar! Theoreticians ftw!

Thanks. MTMTE had to have some avatar representation in here. Also, he has a grappling hook.

I read Superior Foes and my geek sensors are tingling about (Spoilers on more than one book)
the final page. Isn't Bullseye out of the picture after what happened in Waid's Daredevil?

Loki singing Wicked in the shower made my day.

KidDork

Picked up Green Lantern #27, just to see what's what. I haven't read a Green Lantern book in a few years.

Not a fan of Eaglesham's art. He's done the impossible and made Soranik Natu ugly.

Nope, no way no how. This is just your weekly prozac high kicking in or something. Beyond the kick-ass first panel, this is the worst comic he's had to put out. Maybe he just couldn't get enthused over having to draw total no-name shmucks for half of it, or just rushed deadline, I dunno. He's also got a newborn kid on the way, so life juggling is at an all-time high I'm sure.
aPGHFqR.jpg

His brief Fantastic Four couple of issues stint was fucking amazing (possibly his best), issues on Scarlet Spider when the inker gave his work a wide berth rather than over-simplifying, and his Superior Spider-Man issues were also top shelf. Theres something distinctly lacking beyond the one or two action page splashes in Wolverine #1. The atrocious plot and shitty writing probably don't help.

ohh yea I loved him on FF way more than Spiderman, I forgot he did that

I'm dying too but I really liked JLD, Frank, and AnimalMan lol
I can't wait

Picked up Green Lantern #27, just to see what's what. I haven't read a Green Lantern book in a few years.

Not a fan of Eaglesham's art. He's done the impossible and made Soranik Natu ugly.

I stopped reading Green Lantern shortly after the New 52 started. I'd been reading the entire pre-reboot Johns run on GLC and GL up to that point, so I was probably just Green Lantern'd out by then. Recently I've been reading Soule's run on Red Lanterns and have been digging it.

MG310

Haven't read any of his Tynion's stuff but I love that he was in artist's alley at NYCC last year doing Weird Crappy Batman Sketches for a dollar.

Nesotenso

Nah she doesn't. Read LAtour's last volume of Winter Soldier and that is him pretty much up to date. He's basically still off the map and dead to most. There's a plot thread in
Secret Avengers
with him which has involved him literally in one panel so far, but apparently that will be paid off in the last issues of
how to main a mockingbird
. Going forward, expect him to appear in New Invaders, Remender's Winter Soldier mini (but this is set in the past and he's more terminator here) and Cap around issue 18 onwards. I hope we see him under the pen of Edmondson or Kot eventually though, I think he'd be much more suite din the page sof Secret Avengers or Black Widow (or even his own book). The one big spot I'm really excited to see him in is in Original Sin under the pen of Aaron, Aaron has definitely name checked him as appearing. I doubt he'll have a big role but with Nick Fury taking centre stage he definitely might command a sideplot of his own (nick sending him in to extract something from somewhere or the like):

Click

thanks for that write up. I liked Natasha and Bucky as a pair. Shame it went about the way it did.

KidDork

I stopped reading Green Lantern shortly after the New 52 started. I'd been reading the entire pre-reboot Johns run on GLC and GL up to that point, so I was probably just Green Lantern'd out by then. Recently I've been reading Soule's run on Red Lanterns and have been digging it.

I was the same way. Too much Lantern, and I needed time away. Not sure if I'll pick up another issue of GL. I did try an issue of Soule's Red Lanterns, and really enjoyed that as well. Maybe that's all the Lantern I need right now: Guy raging about stuff.

NEw Avengers- everyone is fucked. the builders are jobbers comapred to thesse guys.

Ms.marvel- enjoyable fist issue, a pit cliche but intresting moving foward

Dysun

Forever Evil 5 was good even if a bit on the slow side (as usual)

Black Adam giving props to Sinestro for leading the way that Adam does. Batman holding firm on being the leader even when its obvious he's in no position to do so.
Sinestro's destruction of Power Ring was great, and now E3 Anti-Monitor (?) has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom