• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pusinsher and black widow are pretty good. Edmondson is defintly making a case for comics superstardom.

also Love the art as well. marvel has a great breath of artist.

Cheska

This month's issue of Batman Black and White was soo good. Adam Hughes story was freakin' awesome, god damnit Selina, I love you. Hurray for the man himself tweeting back about it too, YAY! :D

Owzers

i'm all caught up on Marvel issues prior to my last dcbs shipment.

Hawkeye 8-14: I didn't care for how this last Hawkeye arc was told, i've never been fond of time jumping to show how things are connected. It was spread across too many issues to feel succinct and it would have been more annoying had I been reading it monthly. Despite that it's still a fun book even if Fraction is trying to make Clint to be semi-unlikable, this is definitely a Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog book where Clint bumbles along from time to time.

Had fun with the Lanterns flip book.
Green
: Mogo! It was cool to meet this Saint Walker.
Sad what happened to them blue lanterns. Aw, hope.
Red:
ZZ's face contortion
, haha. Red Supergirl has me hype. So strong. So angry. Just another totally rad Red Lanterns issue.

Had fun with the Lanterns flip book.
Green
: Mogo! It was cool to meet this Saint Walker.
Sad what happened to them blue lanterns. Aw, hope.
Red:
ZZ's face contortion
, haha. Red Supergirl has me hype. So strong. So angry. Just another totally rad Red Lanterns issue.

I just read through Soule's run on Red Lanterns in preparation for the whole Supergirl story, and it's been a really good read. So much better than the book was when Milligan was writing it.

Grabbed Punisher #1 today as an impulse buy, and it was awesome. I haven't read Punisher in years. Now I have to go check out the Remender and Rucka runs.

Action Comics was soooo good. Greg Pak has the voice of the fun loving Superman. After reading that, my top 3 of the week is easy.

1. Green Arrow 28
2. Forever Evil 5
3. Action Comics 28

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This might be sort of a weird question, but are there any comics that are just about normal people and normal problems? Like, no superheroes, no magic, no massive conspiracies. I guess kind of in the same vein as Daytripper.
I had an itch for something like that earlier and I started thinking about it and realized that there wasn't really anything out there in that category that I knew of. Even most non-cape comics involve massive conspiracies, crime, fantasy, or magic.
It kind of makes sense, since the comic medium inherently thrives in situations where there's more exciting stuff to draw and I probably ought to just turn to actual books for that sort of itch, but I'm still curious.

Grabbed Punisher #1 today as an impulse buy, and it was awesome. I haven't read Punisher in years. Now I have to go check out the Remender and Rucka runs.

The Remender Punisher omnibus is something like $30 shipped on eBay, just FYI. I've been on the edge of picking it up for ages now. I'll get it eventually. Haha

I think I'm done with Black Widow and I am not getting anymore Wolverine. I really liked Ms. Marvel though and I plan on getting the next one. Black Widow is not a bad book by any means but it's in the same vein as a few other books I read and not doing anything to stand out from the pack.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This might be sort of a weird question, but are there any comics that are just about normal people and normal problems? Like, no superheroes, no magic, no massive conspiracies. I guess kind of in the same vein as Daytripper.
I had an itch for something like that earlier and I started thinking about it and realized that there wasn't really anything out there in that category that I knew of. Even most non-cape comics involve massive conspiracies, crime, fantasy, or magic.
It kind of makes sense, since the comic medium inherently thrives in situations where there's more exciting stuff to draw and I probably ought to just turn to actual books for that sort of itch, but I'm still curious.

The Remender Punisher omnibus is something like $30 shipped on eBay, just FYI. I've been on the edge of picking it up for ages now. I'll get it eventually. Haha

I have some from years ago called The Waiting Place that was a really good slice of life type comic. At least I remember really liking it. Been so long since I looked at them though I couldn't tell you much about it :p

Archie bro

I recently picked up Local and Lost At Sea from Oni Press, this is what you're looking for.

So Punisher was alright. Ms. Marvel... I'm in. Forevil continues to be fun.

Action Comics was fucking amazing. Pak is nailing the fuck out of Superman.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I have some from years ago called The Waiting Place that was a really good slice of life type comic. At least I remember really liking it. Been so long since I looked at them though I couldn't tell you much about it :p

Haha thanks. I'll give that a look.

Archie bro

I recently picked up Local and Lost At Sea from Oni Press, this is what you're looking for.

Just read the synopsis of Local. That seems great! Exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
And I have Lost at Sea on my list of things to buy eventually since I loved Scott Pilgrim so much. I'll try and pick it up soon.
Thanks a lot for those recommendations!

Edit: Local was only $10 shipped on Amazon for a Like New, unread copy. Bought. Thanks again!

Double Edit: How about Essex County? Would that fit my desires/is it really good? I'm a bit wary, since it seems expensive for being black and white and what seems to be a fairly quick read from the preview on Amazon.

JEKKI

Also, I finished the first Unknown Soldier trade. Damn. I have the rest of the series in my instocktrades cart. Who is Joshua Dysart and why is he not writing any books currently?
whaaaaaaaat?!?!?!

Dysart's writing Harbinger... one of the best books out now!!

dang doods be sleeping!

Lazarus was pretty good. You can tell this is going to be a world that will take 10-15 issues to really show what everything is about.

Glad that people are digging Ms. Marvel. It was a fun book, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. It's nice to see some diversity in comics.

Also, She-Hulk next week! Yesssss!

Didn't care for the new Punisher. The two MAX runs spoiled the shit out of me for the character, and not many other interpretations can match them.

It isn't as awful as eye-patch Frank but it isn't much better. I wish there was a new Max series :(

Vibranium

Banned
Punisher was a great set-up issue this week, I'd say it eased in even better than Black Widow. It's nice getting internal monologing from Frank again, plus Edmondson's narration is way less grating than Remender's. And Mitch Gerads in killing it, looks great. I'm still wondering how Castle got out of his underwater prison though, I guess we'll have to wait even longer for that. I wonder why some of you guys weren't feeling it, it certainly made a better impression than All-New Invaders.

Didn't care for the new Punisher. The two MAX runs spoiled the shit out of me for the character, and not many other interpretations can match them.

It isn't as awful as eye-patch Frank but it isn't much better. I wish there was a new Max series :(

What? Rucka's run was awesome and Metal Gear bearded Frank was such a cool look. MAX is nice but this series is heading in a good direction.

Vibranium

Banned
thanks for that write up. I liked Natasha and Bucky as a pair. Shame it went about the way it did.

Yep, pissed me off so much. I want Latour back on Winter Soldier, The Electric Ghost was such a cool villain with a great backstory. And she made Bucky move past his guilt regarding Natasha even though he still wants to protect her (as he mentioned in Secret Avengers).

You might not like Rucka's run, but it's far far from awful.

Yep, pissed me off so much. I want Latour back on Winter Soldier, The Electric Ghost was such a cool villain with a great backstory. And she made Bucky move past his guilt regarding Natasha even though he still wants to protect her (as he mentioned in Secret Avengers).

That storyline literally is amazing. I can't believe what a talented writer Latour is, I really didn't expect it when I picked up the book to read the first time. It's a crime that he's written so little so far. I'll almost certainly buy Wolverine & the x-men off the strength of Latour on Winter Soldier. Fantastic writer and writing style, and a perfect fit for Bucky. Huge Bru fan here but I actually thin k that volume is the best thing that came of that 4 volume run. And that last page :(:(:( greeet haha. And dark hydra! I love how inbetween all that spy hijinks, the cosmic crazyness, he fits in a sect of effectively lovecraftian hydra. It's a crime they got one storyline. Would love to see the ghost return too, she could of made a great partner/support cast for him. Buck, Jobard and Electric Ghost. The book would fit in perfectly alongside their new line of street level & spy books.

Vibranium

Banned
That storyline literally is amazing. I can't believe what a talented writer Latour is, I really didn't expect it when I picked up the book to read the first time. It's a crime that he's written so little so far. I'll almost certainly buy Wolverine & the x-men off the strength of Latour on Winter Soldier. Fantastic writer and writing style, and a perfect fit for Bucky. Huge Bru fan here but I actually thin k that volume is the best thing that came of that 4 volume run. And that last page :(:(:( greeet haha. And dark hydra! I love how inbetween all that spy hijinks, the cosmic crazyness, he fits in a sect of effectively lovecraftian hydra. It's a crime they got one storyline. Would love to see the ghost return too, she could of made a great partner/support cast for him. Buck, Jobard and Electric Ghost. The book would fit in perfectly alongside their new line of street level & spy books.

Totally man, the mix of sci-fi and espionage is the perfect tone for Winter Soldier. And I want Robards back too, he was hilarious. Someday we'll have it back...

Totally man, the mix of sci-fi and espionage is the perfect tone for Winter Soldier. And I want Robards back too, he was hilarious. Someday we'll have it back...

Definitely. Objectively, I do believe it got cancelled because of timing and the movie, rather than their lack of faith or acceptance that sale figures would be lower in the midterm between Bru leaves and Latour building his run. Unfortunately I do think it could be awhile If there was an all-new book coming, I kind of feel it would have been announced already. I guess if you're a fan of Remender, it'll be good after the mini when he shows up in Cap but just the tone Remender is going for with his Cap run, I'd rather see Bucky elsewhere. And I'm not interested in Robinson at all haha.

I really think Kot would have a great grip and take on him though, and he did mentino the other day that he's dying to write a Bucky epic and that he's one of his favourite marvel characters, so hopefully it's a matter of time. Bucky in Secret Avengers with Latour writing his solo = golden. Having a nice little sandbox of Black Widow, Secret Avengers and Bucky books would be perfect.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You would probably have to go super indie tbh. People like Adrian Tomine or Dan Clowes. Lots of good autobio stuff in the indies even if it's a bit of a hoary cliche at this point (oh, you write and draw and black and white autobiographical indie comic? YOU DON'T SAY?). I love stuff like Fun Home and Pedro and Me.

Actually now that I think about it, homosexuality might be the capes and spandex of the indie comics scene.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Double Edit: How about Essex County? Would that fit my desires/is it really good? I'm a bit wary, since it seems expensive for being black and white and what seems to be a fairly quick read from the preview on Amazon.

OMG YES! Essex County is FUCKING amazing. Shit will make you so sad. Made me think about stuff no other comic has ever bought up before. Super heavy. No gay stuff in that book either iirc, which defeats my aforementioned theory.

Did anyone read 'All-New Invaders' # 02 yet? The usual sites I visit haven't reviewed it, so I'd love to hear some impressions. I'm a fan of James Robinson, but I'm not largely in love with the roster. I thought Robinson's 'Earth 2' was stellar, if a little decompressed.

Tizoc

2001-01-26.png

What're some of your fav. 4-panel-ish comics?
The above is from Nodwick, which I'm reading during work breaks.

Did anyone read 'All-New Invaders' # 02 yet? The usual sites I visit haven't reviewed it, so I'd love to hear some impressions. I'm a fan of James Robinson, but I'm not largely in love with the roster. I thought Robinson's 'Earth 2' was stellar, if a little decompressed.

I'm not digging the previews very much. The writing style seems extremely tell not show & exposition-y, I'm not sure I like the language being used to characterise the characters either. "Subby", "Guy". Sure these were golden age characters but I figured the book would be about these guys who survived it and where they are now as post-golden age heroes. The idea that they wouldn't have changed their language or colloquial is bizarre, given how they've all been living life post 1950 for a good long time, it's not like they all just returned.

Honestly though, it's very little to do with the roster right? If you like Robinson, you like his style, I imagine you'll like the book. It seems very him, and him fitting the characters to meet his needs as a writer.

I'm not digging the previews very much. The writing style seems extremely tell not show & exposition-y, I'm not sure I like the language being used to characterise the characters either. "Subby", "Guy". Sure these were golden age characters but I figured the book would be about these guys who survived it and where they are now as post-golden age heroes. The idea that they wouldn't have changed their language or colloquial is bizarre, given how they've all been living life post 1950 for a good long time, it's not like they all just returned.

Honestly though, it's very little to do with the roster right? If you like Robinson, you like his style, I imagine you'll like the book. It seems very him, and him fitting the characters to meet his needs as a writer.

The point you make about the language is what irks me about it, also their casual attitude towards maintaining their superhero/civilian identities. This is especially true of the preview for the second issue, in which Captain America and Bucky freely use their real names. I'm not as taken with it as I was Earth 2, but that had such a different feeling. I might give it another issue or two and see where it takes me. Obviously, it's early days and Robinson typically takes the time to establish and build up a world around the characters first.

The point you make about the language is what irks me about it, also their casual attitude towards maintaining their superhero/civilian identities. This is especially true of the preview for the second issue, in which Captain America and Bucky freely use their real names. I'm not as taken with it as I was Earth 2, but that had such a different feeling. I might give it another issue or two and see where it takes me. Obviously, it's early days and Robinson typically takes the time to establish and build up a world around the characters first.

Hahah this is true. I think bucky being dead to everyone was going by the wayside soon anwyay, given his appearance alongside other heroes in Original Sin and likely the rise of his profile again due to the movie, but would probably have been a strain to believe after this haha.

tim1138

Haha thanks. I'll give that a look.

Just read the synopsis of Local. That seems great! Exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
And I have Lost at Sea on my list of things to buy eventually since I loved Scott Pilgrim so much. I'll try and pick it up soon.
Thanks a lot for those recommendations!

Edit: Local was only $10 shipped on Amazon for a Like New, unread copy. Bought. Thanks again!

Good lord yes, read Essex County. It is an absolutely brilliant slice of life comic about a small rural community in Canada. If you like it, check out the Underwater Welder as well.

Messi

You guys should read issue 16 of Green Arrow also. Just to appreciate some of Anne Nocenti's Bullshit writing and see how much better a decent writer can do.

tim1138

It might just be that because everyone I have talked to thinks it is DS.

The red sky definitely hints toward it being the Anti-Monitor

Messi said:
You guys should read issue 16 of Green Arrow also. Just to appreciate some of Anne Nocenti's Bullshit writing and see how much better a decent writer can do.

Messi pls

Haha, a page from Kot's Secret Avengers reboot. Already better than the whole of Spencer's volume 1. I'm getting good hawkeye-ish vibes off this.
I'm getting COPRA vibes from it with that art and colors.

Noccenti leaving Catwoman is great. But she has now become a dangerous floater like Lobdell. Where will they end up? On your favorite title?

Messi

I'm getting COPRA vibes from it with that art and colors.

Noccenti leaving Catwoman is great. But she has now become a dangerous floater like Lobdell. Where will they end up? On your favorite title?

What if she ends up on Harley!?! FUCK, this is so much more dangerous. Give her Nightwing or someone shitty like that.

What if she ends up on Harley!?! FUCK, this is so much more dangerous. Give her Nightwing or someone shitty like that.
She won't be on Harley, that book is setting the sales charts on fire. Noccenti is used to kill properties and characters before they are given a chance. Look for her on Cyborg or Shazam.

Messi

She won't be on Harley, that book is setting the sales charts on fire. Noccenti is used to kill properties and characters before they are given a chance. Look for her on Cyborg or Shazam.

Is harley actually doing well in sales? I know gaf loves it but we generally don't represent the comic buying public.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Check out Blankets by Craig Thompson. You're basically going to be veering into that auto-bio, black and white books territory, which is great.

Mafro

Loving Brian Wood's X-Men again. Back on track in the last two issues after being derailed by that poor Battle of the Atom event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom