• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone read 'All-New Invaders' # 02 yet? The usual sites I visit haven't reviewed it, so I'd love to hear some impressions. I'm a fan of James Robinson, but I'm not largely in love with the roster. I thought Robinson's 'Earth 2' was stellar, if a little decompressed.

After the first issue clunker, I'm out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You would probably have to go super indie tbh. People like Adrian Tomine or Dan Clowes. Lots of good autobio stuff in the indies even if it's a bit of a hoary cliche at this point (oh, you write and draw and black and white autobiographical indie comic? YOU DON'T SAY?). I love stuff like Fun Home and Pedro and Me.

Actually now that I think about it, homosexuality might be the capes and spandex of the indie comics scene.
OMG YES! Essex County is FUCKING amazing. Shit will make you so sad. Made me think about stuff no other comic has ever bought up before. Super heavy. No gay stuff in that book either iirc, which defeats my aforementioned theory.

Haha. All right, thanks! One of the things I did want to avoid was the typical autobiographical comic. I've read a couple of those and they don't do much for me. I'll definitely check out Essex County though!

Good lord yes, read Essex County. It is an absolutely brilliant slice of life comic about a small rural community in Canada. If you like it, check out the Underwater Welder as well.

Thanks!

Check out Blankets by Craig Thompson. You're basically going to be veering into that auto-bio, black and white books territory, which is great.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've kind of had my fill of childhood auto-bio comics, but I've seen that book recommended quite a lot so I'll probably give it a shot eventually. Thanks!

headshot95

Neo Member
So Mitch Gerads was at my comic shop yesterday signing copies of The Punisher so I had to buy it and I was glad I did, I really enjoyed the first issue. Also, Marvel Knights: Spiderman had a sweet final issue. I really loved the art in that whole miniseries.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So Mitch Gerads was at my comic shop yesterday signing copies of The Punisher so I had to buy it and I was glad I did, I really enjoyed the first issue. Also, Marvel Knights: Spiderman had a sweet final issue. I really loved the art in that whole miniseries.

MK Spider-Man is the craziest comic that Marvel peeps aren't reading. The plot is absolutely absurd when you think about it, and it's kind of genius. The art is beautiful and I look forward to more work from that team, if they do anything else together.

'Wolverine' Marvel NOW! Live call going on w/ Alonso, Cornell, Stegman and others (CBR)

As for what's coming down the line for Wolverine this year, Alonso said that if fans are angry now, "they're going to be much angrier toward the end of the year. There's going to be a lot of controversy. What Paul is doing is building two stories here and changed up something massive. I have no doubt we'll be talking a lot over the next few months about Wolverine."
Also, maybe expect Wolverine to drop off the roster on the other X-books in the coming months.

I can't stick around for the end, but right now this all sounds a bit like for some reason Marvel actually listened to the fanboys who constantly b*tched about Wolverine "going soft" over the last few years, and decided to go in the complete opposite direction with the character than where Remender/Aaron have been guiding him and to hell with the consequences.

To have the full run of Batman nu52, I just need the Annual #1. If you all see it at your LCS, please tell me. I will PayPal some money to get it.

Read everything that I bought yesterday except Trillium which I'm not going to read until all the issues are out and just read in one sitting. Having a hard time remembering everything that's going on.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
'Wolverine' Marvel NOW! Live call going on w/ Alonso, Cornell, Stegman and others (CBR)

Also, maybe expect Wolverine to drop off the roster on the other X-books in the coming months.

I can't stick around for the end, but right now this all sounds a bit like for some reason Marvel actually listened to the fanboys who constantly b*tched about Wolverine "going soft" over the last few years, and decided to go in the complete opposite direction with the character than where Remender/Aaron have been guiding him and to hell with the consequences.

Yeah, who wants that excellent take on Wolverine anyways? I'm so tired of good Wolverine comics.

What about the soon to be relaunched Wolverine and the X-Men?
Spoiler Alert:
they talk about addressing it in the first few issues, and Wolverine thinking about who'll succeed him once he's gone. One of the upcoming covers shows Storm struggling to hold the school on her back. It's all pointing towards Wolverine leaving the school in the lurch, and others taking on the responsibility; could "Wolverine and the X-Men" be changing its title to "Storm and the X-Men"?

tim1138

Amazing something like that gets past the editoe, Mike Cotton. They need to launch a second Earth 2 book already, preferably not written by Tom Taylor.

Wasn't that why James Robinson left? DC had plans for a second Earth 2 book and weren't going to have him write it?

Wasn't that why James Robinson left? DC had plans for a second Earth 2 book and weren't going to have him write it?
Not sure, I think that was the rumor going around back then. Maybe they wanted Tom Taylor to write that one and gave him yhe big book when Robinson left. I would have loved to see his origin of Batman rather than the crap we got last month.

Mindwipe

Transformers: Dark Cybertron issue 1 is currently free on Comixology (it's not listed in the free section, you've got to search for it).

This crossover is far, far from the normal quality of the current TF books, but free is free.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Spoiler Alert:
they talk about addressing it in the first few issues, and Wolverine thinking about who'll succeed him once he's gone. One of the upcoming covers shows Storm struggling to hold the school on her back. It's all pointing towards Wolverine leaving the school in the lurch, and others taking on the responsibility; could "Wolverine and the X-Men" be changing its title to "Storm and the X-Men"?

Godammit Marvel :( They were heading in a fantastic direction with the gradual softening of Wolverine. It was genuine, natural character development. Boo.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I didn't read the "Killable" story, but I did check out the new Wolverine #1.

And it was awful.

Will just wait until the inevitable return of the healing factor and a good writer to come in and clean up the mess. Probably sooner, rather than later, when Marvel realizes that removing Wolverine from X-books means a drop in sales. :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
y'know, I cannot get over the fact that Preacher book 4 HC is completely out of stock everywhere. Even eBay, copies of ALL the other HCs up for sale, no vol 4. Argh I want it so baaaaaaaad.

y'know, I cannot get over the fact that Preacher book 4 HC is completely out of stock everywhere. Even eBay, copies of ALL the other HCs up for sale, no vol 4. Argh I want it so baaaaaaaad.
I ran into this last night looking for the Punisher MAX vol 4 HC. I was gonna get into it via the hardcovers, but that's gonna be hard with one of them OOP. at least all the TPBs are in print still.

Punisher was so. Goddamn. Good.

Fantastic art. I like Edmondson's semi-snarky/serious/Clint Eastwood/Bruce Willis style take on Frank. I never thought the day would come where Frank would grin, and I'd like it, but here it is. It is a splendid change after the relentlessly bleak MAX run.

I loved Metal Gear Frank too, but that one always felt like Cole-Alves' story with Frank as a force of nature. Frank as a person here is so interesting.

Fantastic art. I like Edmondson's semi-snarky/serious/Clint Eastwood/Bruce Willis style take on Frank. I never thought the day would come where Frank would grin, and I'd like it, but here it is. It is a splendid change after the relentlessly bleak MAX run.
It feels like a black comedy sitcom version of the Punisher.

Transformers: Dark Cybertron issue 1 is currently free on Comixology (it's not listed in the free section, you've got to search for it).

This crossover is far, far from the normal quality of the current TF books, but free is free.

Just to add to the freebie pile o' reads on Comixology: Sheltered #1, Wolverine #20 (The start of Millar's run on the title), Daredevil: Man without Fear #1, Ultimates 2 #1, and Sif #1 (Yo, Stegman on dis book) are all free right now.

Just popping in to say everyone who wouldn't shut up about Manhattan Projects in earlier threads was absolutely right.

I'm a dumbass for limiting my Hickman purchases to just New Avengers.

I knew I forgot something yesterday. Goddamnit.

East of West is great too. Well, Vol 1 is. I just read the trades so I'm waiting for vol 2 in April.

Just to add to the freebie pile o' reads on Comixology: Sheltered #1, Wolverine #20 (The start of Millar's run on the title), Daredevil: Man without Fear #1, Ultimates 2 #1, and Sif #1 (Yo, Stegman on dis book) are all free right now.

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed Sif #1. Right up my alley, I reckon.

Sheltered #1 is a good issue. Too bad that what follows isn't quite as good (but still good).

It feels like a black comedy sitcom version of the Punisher.

Ennis' Marvel Knights run was a black comedy sitcom. Anyone remember the squid? Or the Russian? Or Cyber-Russian? Or nuking an entire island and then threatening the President? Or how about feeding the Hulk C4-casserole?

Based on this issue, Edmondson's Punisher feels more... laconic? It feels like a blend of Justified and Die Hard.

Really enjoyed Earth 2 this week. The book has just been a fun ride, loved Lois' talk with Val. Forever Evil was good too, like others I loved that little moment where Catwoman informs Batman he's not running things. I'm really not sure who to expect at this point, it's been assumed Darkseid was the one to destroy Earth 3, but maybe it wasn't him. Green Lantern/Red Lantern was enjoyable. It is interesting how different this Universe is from the previous one. Obviously the heroes are as closely connected as the previous one. Hal and Guy's conversation really stresses that. Seems Superman is far from the everyone's best friend title he seemed to have in the previous universe. Still more books to go.

I loved Metal Gear Frank too, but that one always felt like Cole-Alves' story with Frank as a force of nature. Frank as a person here is so interesting.

It also felt more tangible than other Punisher stories, I found. When he blows shit up or shoots someone, it's not an affectless, abstract thing the way it usually is in his comics. It was really well done.

Omega

Banned
To have the full run of Batman nu52, I just need the Annual #1. If you all see it at your LCS, please tell me. I will PayPal some money to get it.

Read everything that I bought yesterday except Trillium which I'm not going to read until all the issues are out and just read in one sitting. Having a hard time remembering everything that's going on.

I'll check.

I'm probably going today or tomorrow so I'll let you know

Pre-ordered theeee Remender X-force omnibus aaaaand the Aaron Wolverine & the x-men omnibus. Reckon those guys should show me a good time when they release.

Guess I never thought about it before, we got any other scottish comics-gaf peeps in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom