• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
If a comic is out of print would you guys buy a volume in a different format to compete your collection? I just got The Punisher Max Vol 1 in hardcover and saw the fourth one costs $200 dollars...

Once I get up to that point in the series I may consider buying it for that much.

Nice. I was hoping the new Punisher would be good so I'll have a look. Been awhile since I've been Punished.

vrM29qa.gif

Owzers

Superior Spidey #25: The book reads like a tv show i hate yet continue to watch. The dialogue is stiff partly because that's how Otto is, the characters are annoying, but i'm still interested.

tm24

I loved Punisher. Great book. Always weird to see Yucca Valley in media. Place is always depressing. Reading Ms Marvel now

Just read Black Widow and Punisher, it must be croc week.

Black Widow continues to impress me, had no idea a BW series could be so good. Glad to see Noto's artwork remains consistent.

Punisher was something else, it read good and looked good, but the story was so condensed it's hard to call it a best new series yet.

Owzers

So I just subscribed the Marvel Unlimited as a DC guy I'm completely overwhelmed.

read.....Immortal Iron Fist or Runaways by BKV. :O

At least hit #26 before you say that. :p

I have it pre-ordered through 30, i'll probably get 31 but am deciding if i should not pre-order Amazing Spider-Man #1 and wait until it hits Marvel Unlimited to read it. Depends if i can still sell my issues with no problem and care about having a digital code.

The Jutty

I have it pre-ordered through 30, i'll probably get 31 but am deciding if i should not pre-order Amazing Spider-Man #1 and wait until it hits Marvel Unlimited to read it. Depends if i can still sell my issues with no problem and care about having a digital code.

Love Runaways. Will definitely check out Immortal Iron Fist. I was thinking about jumping into Young Avengers or just working my way through major marvel events. When was the last real reboot?

tm24

Just read both Ms Marvel and Loki. Holy shit. So good. I really don't know what i love better. That last page of Loki though. So good.

So my bro's bday is coming up and he's mostly been a DC guy due to how many non-continuity or classic stories there are in trade (like All-Star, DKR, Red son and the like). I want to jumpstart him on marvel Books and Marvel Unlimited seems like it would be perfect. Is there any way to see what's on the service? I would love for him to finally be able to know what im obsessed with Runaways, Nova (anything with DnA attached really) and Daredevil

Toa TAK

Banned

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to jump on board the Amazing Spider-Man.

I guess it all depends on how Superior ends. I do like Slott's work on Superior, so we'll see.

Love Runaways. Will definitely check out Immortal Iron Fist. I was thinking about jumping into Young Avengers or just working my way through major marvel events. When was the last real reboot?

OMG yes. The Brubaker / Fraction Immortal Iron Fist was an amazing run. Can't wait for the new series.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys, thoughts on Life and Times of Martha Washington?
How bad do the later stories get? It's hard to tell when people are over-exaggerating Miller's descent into craziness.

8bit

Knows the Score
Guys, thoughts on Life and Times of Martha Washington?
How bad do the later stories get? It's hard to tell when people are over-exaggerating Miller's descent into craziness.

I was thinking it wasn't that bad so checked Wikipedia for a synopsis as I only seem to remember a couple of series. The first half of her stories are as far as I remember, there is no way I've read the latter ones, and yes, they seem to be pretty crazy.

Hateful hateful shit. Why Spaceman but no Trillium :(

I suppose though, all my other Lemire books are softcover, so it'll sit in with them better.

Avengers bounces off the AIM stuff
Avengers World (inexplicably) seems to bounce of Secret Warriors

This is something Spencer started with Secret Avengers, which I guess makes for a more sensible stream of thought. Secret Warriors -> SA picks up a few characters -> Spencer keeps his own threads going in Avengers World. Daisy obviously appears in SA, and there are cameo's from
Sebastian and Gorgon
. I guess some of his plot stuff for AW for originally planned for SA as the
Gorgon
thing in AW is foreshadowed way back in #2 of Secret Avengers. Shame Secret Avengers as a book is not a patch on Secret Warriors, one of the best marvel books in years.

There's a marvel book this week actually that features a group from SW, but I don't want to say it haha since it's kind of a surprise in it.

I don't know if it's intentional but Slott writes the Avengers in Superior Spidey like they are the dullest people in existence.

That's because everyone is dull when they are compared to the motherfucking SUPERIOR SPIDERMAN!

Too be fair no one is as awesome as Peter is either. He's just the best.

Spoiler it. tell me. I need to know!!!

The Howling Commandos PMC has been hired to hunt Frank Castle and finish him off
in the new punisher series.

It actually makes sense Edmondson would be interested in writing them, if you consider his previous creator owned work in The Activity, and the stuff they like to get up to.

tm24

The Howling Commandos PMC has been hired to hunt Frank Castle and finish him off
in the new punisher series.

It actually makes sense Edmondson would be interested in writing them, if you consider his previous creator owned work in The Activity, and the stuff they like to get up to.

Didnt even make that connection. Forgot all about that subplot since they kinda disappeared at the end of the book to focus on the SWs themselves

Does Hickman's Avengers pick up any threads from his FF run? I've got the Infinity HC coming along with the first several volumes of Avengers and New Avengers but I haven't finished his FF run just yet.

New Avengers just started to reference a few things Reed did during Hickman's FF, Infinity has some very very slight references and Avengers 24.NOW takes a note or two from his FF run. But neither New Avengers nor Avengers need any FF knowledge to be understood, nor do the spoil the FF run in any way. It is more or less one or two eastereggs for us Hickman fanat *ahm* ... fans.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hmmmmmm well, if you read BotA first it will make you think better of Infinity, so do that. It also might make you want to stop reading comics though....

Jesus man it's nowhere near that bad. The last issue of BotA is a bit poopy, and the first few were a little shaky. However, there is a point in the middle where everything is firing and there's
a new future x-team popping up every issue
, it's bonkers fun. Infinity is elegant, far reaching space opera. It also rocks.

Speaking of crossovers, I read Forever Evil 5 last night. I'm starting to really hate the narrative style of "Caption boxes telling a story from youth" PAGETURN "I'm LEX LUTHOR and I blah blah blah". Johns catching Synder disease or something. The issue itself was OK, I liked Sinestro ripping that brah's arm off (SO METAL). But this felt like it should have been #2, not #5. Nothing has happened yet in this story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If a comic is out of print would you guys buy a volume in a different format to compete your collection? I just got The Punisher Max Vol 1 in hardcover and saw the fourth one costs $200 dollars...

Once I get up to that point in the series I may consider buying it for that much.

As I mentioned last night, experiencing the same with Preacher HC 4 right now too (what is it with 4th volumes??). I think the only sensible thing to do would be to buy it in a format that it's available in. It's only a story - formats are nice, but is maintaining OCD uniformity worth $200 to you? Because it sure as shit ain't to me. Protip - nobody is ever going to judge you based on mixing trade formats up on your bookshelf.

You're in the wrong thread there with that. (in regards to the poster above me talking about buying 2 PS2's for the haul thread on gaming side)

Back on topic with comics Action Comics was damn good this week. Pak has been nailing it. Forever Evil Arkham Wars was mostly MEH, it seems really out of Sync with the main Forever Evil story. It talks about a time frame of weeks, and days and in the main Forever Evil book it's been 48 hours and some big bad is showing up. It just feels not very thought out, not very connected. Argus and Rogues Rebellion are definitely much higher quality than Arkham Wars.

Detective Comics I'm not sure on yet, mostly cause I'm not sure how I feel about Gothopia yet. This was what the 3rd or 4th chapter in the story and I'm still just not feeling it.

"What the FUCK is this shit.": Literally what I said after turning the last page of Wolverine #1

Who thought this was a good idea? Why? HOW?
Axel Alonso. Just be patient brah, he had the same reaction to the pitch but he said it's going to change the Marvel U forever. Just wait until September for issue 13. I think Cornell Morbuised Wolverine though.

Interview with Ellis about Moonknight. Not much to say or of note. I dont like it when he says he doesn't know how long he will be in the book or that he only does one project a year. For a character like this we need a brah to come out and say "i am going to do the definitive run on this character and ou will have to kill me in gjis ring if you want this belt."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was thinking it wasn't that bad so checked Wikipedia for a synopsis as I only seem to remember a couple of series. The first half of her stories are as far as I remember, there is no way I've read the latter ones, and yes, they seem to be pretty crazy.

Ah, well, I already put in my order for it, so I'll give an update on how those later stories end up being. Haha. Couldn't resist 600 pages of Frank Miller for $13 shipped.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Wolverine as a character is fucked for 2 years straight then after all the interviews I've read. Marvel-ous. After Aaron and Remender had finally transitioned him into a sense-making core of the universe, lets just turn him into a random asshole instead.

All because Paul "my entire publication list is a trainwreck" Cornell wants to write some total wank. I apologise on behalf of Britain.

Axel Alonso. Just be patient brah, he had the same reaction to the pitch but he said it's going to change the Marvel U forever. Just wait until September for issue 13. I think Cornell Morbuised Wolverine though.

Between the Red Skull and Age of Apocalypse and [GAME OF THRONES SPOILER REDACTED BECAUSE LET'S BE LIKE THEM, INHUMANITY, RIGHT], there's no earthly way the BIG SEPTEMBER WOLVERINE SHOCKFEST isn't his hand getting cut off.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
does vertigo paper still suck

Is Bendis still too over valued at Marvel?

Then yes, it still sucks. I bought the wake collected volume and it's horrid. No sign of a synopsis on the back either, just an advert for that new Frank Darabont tv show.

Dumb. Just dumb.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So Wolverine as a character is fucked for 2 years straight then after all the interviews I've read. Marvel-ous. After Aaron and Remender had finally transitioned him into a sense-making core of the universe, lets just turn him into a random asshole instead.

All because Paul "my entire publication list is a trainwreck" Cornell wants to write some total wank. I apologise on behalf of Britain.

Woah, Paul Cornell did some great stuff for DC. Let's not get crazy here.

TheWraith

Just finished Black Science #3 and Deadly Class #1 is it just me or is Remender firing on all cylinders lately? These two books might just be my favorite new titles in years, so much greatness from only the first issue(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom