• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Harley Quinn has turned into a top ten seller? It was DC's fourth best selling title in January?!

Messi

Harley Quinn has turned into a top ten seller? It was DC's fourth best selling title in January?!

Because some of you don't believe me. It's a legitimately good book and people love Harley Quinn.

GAFs December book of the month and 2nd in November. Top voted DC book in Jan but wasn't enough to make top 3

:p

Harley Quinn is insanely popular all things considered.

I read Ms. Marvel, Loki, Black Widow, Wolverine and that Adventures of Superman Joker 2-parter.

All were great except for Wolverine, Seriously, what the fuck was that last page? Can't believe this is the same Cornell that wrote Captain Britain & MI-13 and that really good Doctor Who annual from a few weeks ago. Ablative armour in fiction is a pet hate of mine, don't like it here either. Also, they just glossed over the Kitty Pryde situation in ONE SENTENCE which is infuriating.

The Joker story in Superman was really, really good. Like, best issue of any Superman book in years good. We need Max Landis to do a full Superman movie, stat (no, Death & Return doesn't count).

Is the Superman story with the Joker that people are talking about the one I read about where
Superman stops Joker while refusing to enable any of his usual BS, then goes to the Batcave and threatens Batman because he knew about Joker's plot but didn't do anything because he wanted to see what Clark would do because he's Batman, the jerk who does dumb things because he's mysterious and @$$holish?

My favorite "Joker in Metropolis" story remains the one with the Harley/Mercy catfight and the Lena Luthor giant robot.

arkon

We'll see how it's faring 5 or 6 issues down the line. If it's still up there then fair enough, they've done something right to get the interest of the market.

OmegaX

Because some of you don't believe me. It's a legitimately good book and people love Harley Quinn.

GAFs December book of the month and 2nd in November. Top voted DC book in Jan but wasn't enough to make top 3

:p

Harley Quinn is insanely popular all things considered.

I loved Harley Queen before the new52 turned her basically in a female Joker. I hate her new outfit too. Does this book retcon some of those changes?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

not surprised. Their female character led books tend to be the best stuff they got going on right now. Wonder Woman, Batwoman (for a while), now Harley Quinn.

But Kortupt said the one shot was good :(. I don't like the character though.Has Joker ever met her in any book?

I just didn't care for it, and no he hasn't fully met her. The story just felt really forced and some parts very not like their character.
Like Batman apprehending her, but letting her keep the face for the lamest stupidest reason, and not being the one to take her to arkham.
The whole thing just felt extremely convoluted, uninteresting, and forced to me.

I just didn't care for it, and no he hasn't fully met her. The story just felt really forced and some parts very not like their character.
Like Batman apprehending her, but letting her keep the face for the lamest stupidest reason, and not being the one to take her to arkham.
The whole thing just felt extremely convoluted, uninteresting, and forced to me.

At the time though, she did not really do anything to warrant Batman staying with her. She wasn't the hardened criminals Batman usually faces. What does Batman care that she has the Jokers face? Batman just see's her as a head case teen who needs to talk to some Dr's. I think the story felt forced because that's what she is. Her whole life she has forced herself to live a lie. The character comes with no natural progression. She has an idea of an identity and runs with it. She lacks soul. That's what's fascinating about her. She is another character the embodies chaos. Hence.....Jokers Daughter.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nooooooo! Mark Millar got to Francesco Francavilla!

It's only a variant cover, whew.

Has Green Arrows sales gone up anymore or has it reached its peak?

16 - 19,888
17 - 36,043 (Lemire takes over)
18 - 28,080
19 - 29,922
20 - 27,541
21 - 26,924
22 - 26,172
23 - 25,449
23.1 - 26,855 (Count Vertigo, +14,741 with regular covers)
24 - 24,620
25 - 29,591 (Zero Year tie-in)
26 - 24,687

Numbers come from Comichron.

We'll see how it's faring 5 or 6 issues down the line. If it's still up there then fair enough, they've done something right to get the interest of the market.

Yeah, things could change. I don't have an opinion on the comic itself, having not read it, but I'm just surprised to see a non-event non-main character book jump right up there.

Seriously, the art for Punisher is so good. Love the style and use of colour.

Unlettered previews from Punisher 3
The-Punisher-3-Preview-1-de996.jpg

The-Punisher-3-Preview-2-a6f7e.jpg

The-Punisher-3-Preview-3-0c0b3.jpg

I guess to me, anyone fucking around with Joker's face, considering the shit it causes when it was just chilling at the police station, is worth some attention. I think considering the type of people who make up his rogues gallery, it's worth nipping one in the bud. It's not just oh she's just a crazy lady. I guess I just don't like the forced symbolism, it feels amateurish. It's like shitty Andy Warhol art, that he bullshitted his way into making people think was amazing. Express that the character has identity issues, emptyness, or lacking soul through interesting story telling. Don't make the writing and story empty, soulless, and be poorly thought out or convoluted to do that. It just didn't work for me, the character didn't work for me. We already have a female agent of chaos connected to the Joker in harley. We don't need a shitty version of her.

I guess to me, anyone fucking around with Joker's face, considering the shit it causes when it was just chilling at the police station, is worth some attention. I think considering the type of people who make up his rogues gallery, it's worth nipping one in the bud. It's not just oh she's just a crazy lady. I guess I just don't like the forced symbolism, it feels amateurish. It's like shitty Andy Warhol art, that he bullshitted his way into making people think was amazing. Express that the character has identity issues, emptyness, or lacking soul through interesting story telling. Don't make the writing and story empty, soulless, and be poorly thought out or convoluted to do that. It just didn't work for me, the character didn't work for me. We already have a female agent of chaos connected to the Joker in harley. We don't need a shitty version of her.

I respect that, don't agree with it, but respect it.

I just finished batman The black mirror and it was really good. Is any of his other batman stuff any good?

Yea, pretty much all of it. Volumes 1-3 of the new series are all brilliant, and the current arc is getting rave reviews. Beoynd that, there's some stuff he co-plotted that has spun out of his batman stuff. Gates of Gotham written by Higgins ( I wouldn't recommend but some would) and Talon written by Tynion (I would recommend but some wouldn't).

Dude is amazing though. American Vampire, The Wake, Swamp Thing, Severed. I think it's all top comix.

Vibranium

Banned
Seriously, the art for Punisher is so good. Love the style and use of colour.

Unlettered previews from Punisher 3

Amazing as usual. I love how Frank is being more sociable these days, it makes him less suspicious when he's not killing people and gives us a great look at his inner character.

One thing I'm wondering though is how regular people in California don't know he's the Punisher. Is he going by a fake last name or something? During Rucka's run everyone knew if I remember correctly. His time in the underwater prison may have changed things though (I still want an answer as to how he escaped).

dan2026

I believe you, Harley Quinn IS great.

Also I really don't like The Punisher.
Or should I say, I don't like him in the regular Marvel U.

He should of been locked up ages ago. What sets him apart from all the other psycho killers the Avengers regularly battle?

Vibranium

Banned
I believe you, Harley Quinn IS great.

Also I really don't like The Punisher.
Or should I say, I don't like him in the regular Marvel U.

He should of been locked up ages ago. What sets him apart from all the other psycho killers the Avengers regularly battle?

Tsk tsk tsk. You mean the same Frank who managed to take on the Avengers for a good amount of time by himself before finally being overpowered? (very impressive for someone with no powers).

And the reason he hasn't been locked up that much is because he has friends in the military and police who approve of what he does, so he gets weaponry and some cover. Plus he has Wolverine as well, the Avengers don't know that though. Also, he was in prison for some time after War Zone so he was imprisoned.

Eldren

Don't scare us like that! Not cool.
Thank GOD it's just a cover.

I can already guess the captions on the first page of that Punisher preview

"Okay, this looks bad"

"Aw, RV, no."

hey comicsbros, what happened in the last 2 months???

Hey Supes, good to see you back. Have you been keeping up with monthly releases? Deadly Class seemed to be a popular choice, did you read it?

Amazing as usual. I love how Frank is being more sociable these days, it makes him less suspicious when he's not killing people and gives us a great look at his inner character.

One thing I'm wondering though is how regular people in California don't know he's the Punisher. Is he going by a fake last name or something? During Rucka's run everyone knew if I remember correctly. His time in the underwater prison may have changed things though (I still want an answer as to how he escaped).

Maybe regular folks don't care, since he's the only going that bothers to do anything about supercrime. Considering the Avengers don't give a fuck about LA unless some space cocksucker shows up to jizz all over it or something.

I think the people in the diner know, but don't care since they support him.

I can already guess the captions on the first page of that Punisher preview

"Okay, this looks bad"

Someone should photoshop that in.

Tizoc

Wait what's this about Joker in a Superman book? Which issue is that?

Also more talk about Ms. Marvel!

Really, where was that man? I literally just read a Spencer interview in the last week or so where he said originally the book was only given 12 issues, but due to the success and critical acclaim its receiving, it was free to keep going. In fact the whole slant of the interview was that the book would keep going despite Peter Parker returning. That's a quick turn about if that;s the case. Not that I'm calling bullshit btw, more that it's kind of ridiculous to say oh guys we had 12 but we can keep going...for that to turn out to be 15.

EDIT: Just read the stuff on it. So dumb then that on the 29th, Spencer said:

This didn't sound like "we've been given a 3 issue extension to tie it up" to me, although I suppose in the context of a cancellation being at 15, I guess he could have meant it that way. Dumb. Maybe they'll get an amazing relaunch.

I'd love to be proven wrong, this is among my fav. Marvel books.

They'll finally be 6.

THEY CAN BE THE SINISTER SEVEN!

Owzers

I added the Red Lanterns Soule trade to my dcbs order, issues 21-26 and the Green Lantern Annual for $8.49....i'd rather have it in print i think.

Anybody else not feeling East of West anymore? The art is stunning but nothing is going on. The world keeps on introducing all these new characters and not really advancing anything. I think I'm gonna drop it and just trade wait it.

Think I'm calling it quits on Morning Glories TP 3. This story lost all narrative and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'm all caught up and I still don't have much of an idea of what's going on. XD

For some reason, the artwork and dialogue still make it an engaging series for me. Gotta hand it to Spencer. Even though he's stringing us all along, it's still an enjoyable book. The payoff better be amazing, though.

Anybody else not feeling East of West anymore? The art is stunning but nothing is going on. The world keeps on introducing all these new characters and not really advancing anything. I think I'm gonna drop it and just trade wait it.

Yep. Barring a miracle, I'm dropping it after the end of the second arc. I've enjoyed it. I think it's well done. But at this point it feels like work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom