• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes, just read Wolverine 1. I really don't like any of Cornell's run so far. MI6 was probably my favorite of his work.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Where is it $13 shipped?

Amazon. $9 before shipping for a Used - Like New copy that was unread with minor shelf wear.
The paperback version, just FYI. Not the massive and amazing looking hardcover. I believe the paperback version has the same contents though.

At least Latour will be writing the new volume of wolverine & the x-men. After Loose Ends and Winter Soldier. have faith in this guy to bring the goods.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just finished Black Science #3 and Deadly Class #1 is it just me or is Remender firing on all cylinders lately? These two books might just be my favorite new titles in years, so much greatness from only the first issue(s)!

Rick Remender has been killing it since Fear Agent. His writing and storytelling is incredible, and he knows how to craft a long-form story while still making individual issues feel important and keep the readers' attention entirely. I didn't like Deadly Class anywhere near as much as Black Science but it was still a damn fine book.

Dear DC,

Please stop trying to make the Joker's Daughter character happen. It's a shitty character, with a shitty idea behind it, and just overall shitty. Please stop.

iqUNtBZfFRofS.gif

Thank you.

Your friend,
John

Amazon. $9 before shipping for a Used - Like New copy that was unread with minor shelf wear.
The paperback version, just FYI. Not the massive and amazing looking hardcover. I believe the paperback version has the same contents though.

Haha, yeah I assumed it couldn't be the hardcover. I'm kind not a fan of hardcovers anymore after the huge gap in price. If the prices are close or I really love the comic than fine but some of them are multiple times the price of a soft cover and I just can't justify it. But then again the softcover of some bigger editions are binded like shit and fall apart. :(

Rick Remender has been killing it since Fear Agent. His writing and storytelling is incredible, and he knows how to craft a long-form story while still making individual issues feel important and keep the readers' attention entirely. I didn't like Deadly Class anywhere near as much as Black Science but it was still a damn fine book.

With the latest Captain America, his little Remender-Verse is now airtight and phenomenal.

Owzers

so if i add a book to my pull list what should it be:

Immortal Iron Fist
Elektra
Inhuman
Original Sin mini
All New Doop mini
Secret Avengers Kot
WATXM Phenomenal Edition

do all 2.99 marvel books have digital codes now?

Thank goodness for La Maquinon's Arbitrary Comic Purchasing Rule Number 14 that says "Thou shalt not buy comics wherein the Wolverine liveth."

Kipp

Haha, yeah I assumed it couldn't be the hardcover. I'm kind not a fan of hardcovers anymore after the huge gap in price. If the prices are close or I really love the comic than fine but some of them are multiple times the price of a soft cover and I just can't justify it. But then again the softcover of some bigger editions are binded like shit and fall apart. :(

Ah, yeah. Definitely.
I'm actually sort of the opposite though. If a hardcover is oversized and has a sewn binding, I'm happy to pay more than the equivalent paperback(s). Having a solid, well-put-together, big hardcover adds a lot to my personal reading experience. And in most cases (like with omnibuses or normal oversized hardcovers), they don't really cost much more (if any more at all) than buying the paperbacks would cost, they just take longer to come out.

However, in this specific case, since it seems the Life and Times of Martha Washington is OOP, it's outrageously expensive and there's no way I'm paying $150 for a 600 page hardcover. Especially one that I don't even know if I really like yet. Haha

Immortal Iron Fist
Elektra
Inhuman
Original Sin mini
All New Doop mini
Secret Avengers Kot
WATXM Phenomenal Edition

I'd say Aaron. Sure, it's a company event, but he's the strongest writer of the bunch, and the mini will come off and give you space for one of the others after. Otherwise, Kot is an extremely promising up and coming likely to to deliver and put in a nice length run. Latour after that. I'd probably jsut judge who my favourite writer was out of those three/what kind of content I was looking for out of them.

Owzers

I'd say Aaron. Sure, it's a company event, but he's the strongest writer of the bunch, and the mini will come off and give you space for one of the others after. Otherwise, Kot is an extremely promising up and coming likely to to deliver and put in a nice length run. Latour after that. I'd probably jsut judge who my favourite writer was out of those three/what kind of content I was looking for out of them.

If i knew Latour had creative control over WATXM i'd probably pick that, but i assume his days are Bendis'd.

Kipp

Immortal Iron Fist
Elektra
Inhuman
Original Sin mini
All New Doop mini
Secret Avengers Kot
WATXM Phenomenal Edition

DOOOOP*.

*totally un-biased

If i knew Latour had creative control over WATXM i'd probably pick that, but i assume his days are Bendis'd.

Yea, I would guess he'll get a nice enough run unless Bendis/new editorial decided upon an event/wolverine death that dismantle what his books is made up of, regardless of quality. Fingers crossed for the first. Latour has really impressed me with his writing but he just doesn't have a big body of work yet, this would be a great title for him to put in a few years and show what he can do.

Immortal Iron Fist
Elektra
Inhuman
Original Sin mini
All New Doop mini
Secret Avengers Kot
WATXM Phenomenal Edition

Si Spurrier's X-Force!

But of your list, Original Sin, maybe? That's the one I'm most interested in out of that bunch.

Tizoc

Punisher #1
Holy shit, they actually bothered to make Frank be sociable, I really hate the comparisons they make with Frank and other heroes.
Non the less it's the standard fare Punisher book but this time he talks more.

Loki #1
Eh it was OK, good laughs and Thor
being a dick was handled well I feel, but DAT ENDING!
He should lose the longcoat though, and less thought/monlogue boxes.

Ms. Marvel #1
Great first issue! Liked the characters and the dialog, looking forward to the next one.

Lazarus #6
Good issue, loved the scene with the families that had their houses destroyed.
Forever ninja stalking the intruders was hilarious and somewhat awesome.

Lobster Johnson- Get the lobster #1
Tonci Zonjic is back as the artist on this mini,
2 wrestlers go ape shit and start killing people on the street, Johnson and co investigate, but there is more to these 2 wrestlers than it first seems

Superior Foes #8
Apparently this is ending by issue 15? WellI never expectedit to last long,heck I assumed this'd just be a 6 issue mini kind of thing!
Non the less this issue was hilarious, but that ending made me go 'Oh shit'
3Fadoud.jpg

Transformers: More than meets the eye 26
Liked it,
Megatron's dramatic entrance was hilarious
, but man the art still leaves much to be desired. We're heading into the endgame and I am looking forward to see what's happening after this arc.
I wonder though
Trion is looking for the Holy Grail, I remember such a thing from the 80s TF comics, but could this be related to the Knights of Cybertron in anyway?

Messi

Yeah, Jokers Daughter was good and I can pull like 7 reviews that say the same. Really deranged but interesting character.

Ok, I am going to pick up this one shot next week. But if you are wrong I am blacklisting you. Care to reconsider your opinions on the book? :p

This months best book is going to be brutal we are only a week in and I have three contenders for it. Btw am I allowed vote for that dc presents Harley book? It isn't one of the 3 but I really enjoyed it. It's also a great reminder of just how much better Harley's costume works than her new one.

Ok, I am going to pick up this one shot next week. But if you are wrong I am blacklisting you. Care to reconsider your opinions on the book?

This months best book is going to be brutal we are only a week in and I have three contenders for it. Btw am I allowed vote for that dc presents Harley book? It isn't one of the 3 but I really enjoyed it. It's also a great reminder of just how much better Harley's costume works than her new one.

No, guarantee you will like it.

Owzers

This was the only article I found on it.

Also Superior Foes jumps up to 3.99 on issue 11 :/

that's nice, i'm getting both Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk monthly to try them. Loki i only ordered the first issue.

Avengers World #1 was an interesting start, and possibly a little more fun than the other two avengers books lately.

edit: Read Avengers #25 now, New Avengers #13 a week or so ago, i can confirm that Avengers World was the best of the three.

Messi

No, guarantee you will like it.

Well then, I am quite curious. I had it in my hand a few times at he store and decided against it. I did flick through it and the art looked good.

Btw my shop had like 50 copies, must have ordered waaaaay too many.

Yeah, Jokers Daughter was good and I can pull like 7 reviews that say the same. Really deranged but interesting character.

I enjoyed it as well. Not in a "hey, I like this character" sort of way but more in a "okay, she's fucked up in a way that makes more sense and is really creepy". Marguerite Bennett went a long way in course correcting Ann Nocenti's bullshit.

Messi

I enjoyed it as well. Not in a "hey, I like this character" sort of way but more in a "okay, she's fucked up in a way that makes more sense and is really creepy". Marguerite Bennett went a long way in course correcting Ann Nocenti's bullshit.

Heh, imagine that...

Superior Foes #8
Apparently this is ending by issue 15? WellI never expectedit to last long,heck I assumed this'd just be a 6 issue mini kind of thing!

Really, where was that man? I literally just read a Spencer interview in the last week or so where he said originally the book was only given 12 issues, but due to the success and critical acclaim its receiving, it was free to keep going. In fact the whole slant of the interview was that the book would keep going despite Peter Parker returning. That's a quick turn about if that;s the case. Not that I'm calling bullshit btw, more that it's kind of ridiculous to say oh guys we had 12 but we can keep going...for that to turn out to be 15.

EDIT: Just read the stuff on it. So dumb then that on the 29th, Spencer said:

I can go ahead and reveal that when the book started, we were told that we had 12 issues. To get to go beyond that is a huge victory for the book, and a testament to the fan response, the very kind reviews, and all the great year-end lists that managed to mention us.

So we're not done yet! We're still around, and the bottom line is, we definitely have the time needed to tell the story that we set out to tell. In fact, we got to build it out a bit more. That's the good news.

This didn't sound like "we've been given a 3 issue extension to tie it up" to me, although I suppose in the context of a cancellation being at 15, I guess he could have meant it that way. Dumb. Maybe they'll get an amazing relaunch.

Ah, yeah. Definitely.
I'm actually sort of the opposite though. If a hardcover is oversized and has a sewn binding, I'm happy to pay more than the equivalent paperback(s). Having a solid, well-put-together, big hardcover adds a lot to my personal reading experience. And in most cases (like with omnibuses or normal oversized hardcovers), they don't really cost much more (if any more at all) than buying the paperbacks would cost, they just take longer to come out.

However, in this specific case, since it seems the Life and Times of Martha Washington is OOP, it's outrageously expensive and there's no way I'm paying $150 for a 600 page hardcover. Especially one that I don't even know if I really like yet. Haha

Yeah, my biggest problem is I don't want to spend that much on books I haven't read but I also don't want to buy it twice. Hardcover omnibuses are fantastic but not always available. Some split the hardcovers into smaller collections that are more pricey than the huge softcovers which is annoying. If it's a small difference then I'm happy to get the collection/omnibus. The bigger size/pages are also so much nicer to read and enjoy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really, where was that man? I literally just read a Spencer interview in the last week or so where he said originally the book was only given 12 issues, but due to the success and critical acclaim its receiving, it was free to keep going. In fact the whole slant of the interview was that the book would keep going despite Peter Parker returning. That's a quick turn about if that;s the case. Not that I'm calling bullshit btw, more that it's kind of ridiculous to say oh guys we had 12 but we can keep going...for that to turn out to be 15.

EDIT: Just read the stuff on it. So dumb then that on the 29th, Spencer said:

This didn't sound like "we've been given a 3 issue extension to tie it up" to me, although I suppose in the context of a cancellation being at 15, I guess he could have meant it that way. Dumb. Maybe they'll get an amazing relaunch.

I read that interview and did get the impression he was elated he'd have room to do what he want now. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have boasted about the 12 issues if he knew the new cutoff was 15. Relaunch could still be possible, but a U-turn decision seems very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom