• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot95

Neo Member
Anybody else not feeling East of West anymore? The art is stunning but nothing is going on. The world keeps on introducing all these new characters and not really advancing anything. I think I'm gonna drop it and just trade wait it.

I feel the same way. I still enjoy each issue but I find myself having a hard time remembering whats happening because each issue is about completely different things it seems. I feel it would read much better in trade format. I would have no trouble double dipping for that series.

Nesotenso

ok I want to read through all of Hickman's Avengers work. I know it is useful to read through all of Avengers and New Avengers to get all of Infinity.

How many issues have been there of each so far? Does Avengers World replace the main Avengers title? or is he writing three Avengers books now?

Yep. Barring a miracle, I'm dropping it after the end of the second arc. I've enjoyed it. I think it's well done. But at this point it feels like work.

That's how I felt about Manhattan Projects, which I still read, but I trade-wait it now. It's one of those books that's easier to read in trade format than on a monthly basis. I'm still in for East of West, as I'm enjoying it. And it's one of Hickman's better works at the moment. So yeah, I still like it, but probably not as much as Lazarus. Rucka is just killing it.

Owzers

ok I want to read through all of Hickman's Avengers work. I know it is useful to read through all of Avengers and New Avengers to get all of Infinity.

How many issues have been there of each so far? Does Avengers World replace the main Avengers title? or is he writing three Avengers books now?

Avengers is on 25, New Avengers 13, Avengers World...3ish. Avengers World didn't replace anything, it's by Spencer and Hickman, i think mostly Spencer going forward. Avengers World #1 was a lot of fun and feels more adventurous than the other two Avengers titles which both feel a little too happy with themselves.

went to the shop, they were out of Ms. Marvel (and Wolverine but that's w/e), so i picked up Punisher instead. hope it's as good as y'all are saying
I just finished batman The black mirror and it was really good. Is any of his other batman stuff any good?
Yeah, but I don't think Court of the Owls or Death of the Family are as good as TBM

thetechkid

Most shops I went to were out of Ms Marvel, ending up getting the last copy at one of my last stops.

I'm looking into reading some Green Lantern stories at the recommendation of a friend and from the little research I did, the big story arcs seem to be: Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Revolt of the Alpha-Lanterns, War of the Green Lanterns, Death of the Red Lanterns, Rise of the Third Army, Wrath of the First Lantern, and Lights Out. Are there any that I'm missing?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Can someone explain the enormous amount of Millar hate here?

Bad writer? Sure, but look at how many people picked up stuff like the new Wolverine.

Overhype and over-promotes his own stuff? Lots of other creators puff themselves up and is it really that hard to ignore some hype?

I'm not the biggest fan but its mind blowing how people single him out here. Gives an elitist feel to these threads.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Bad writer? Sure, but look at how many people picked up stuff like the new Wolverine.

Overhype and over-promotes his own stuff? Lots of other creators puff themselves up and is it really that hard to ignore some hype?

I'm not the biggest fan but its mind blowing how people single him out here. Gives an elitist feel to these threads.

It's more the mindless and gratuitous violence. Rape is not a plot point to be throw around lightly and he seems to use it just to show that someone's a bad guy. His stuff doesn't need to be a violent as it is, he can get the same emotion and message across without having every female character get raped.

I think aside from the terrible writing, he has a tendency to rely on shock-value to move books. Usually in the way of gore or rape.

And yes, I've seen Crossed. That's something else ENTIRELY.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
It's more the mindless and gratuitous violence. Rape is not a plot point to be throw around lightly and he seems to use it just to show that someone's a bad guy. His stuff doesn't need to be a violent as it is, he can get the same emotion and message across without having every female character get raped.

Thank you. This actually makes sense but the hate still seems a bit much. I haven't read enough of his stuff and don't recall any rape (I only read mostly his mainstream stuff) but I was curious why he always got blasted so singularly.

Thank you. This actually makes sense but the hate still seems a bit much. I haven't read enough of his stuff and don't recall any rape (I only read mostly his mainstream stuff) but I was curious why he always got blasted so singularly.

I know for sure Kick-Ass 2 had rape. And maybe Nemesis, if I'm not mistaken?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's a lot of needless rape and gore in his creator owned stuff. He uses rape like Scott Snyder uses a character's internal monologue about their father.

I know for sure Kick-Ass 2 had rape. And maybe Nemesis, if I'm not mistaken?

Didn't he also do that one where the victim's womb was booby trapped so she had to give birth to her brother's son?

Messi

Anybody else not feeling East of West anymore? The art is stunning but nothing is going on. The world keeps on introducing all these new characters and not really advancing anything. I think I'm gonna drop it and just trade wait it.

Dropped it 2 months ago for this very reason. Art is amazing though and dat paper quality.

tumblr_l98pb3xOyB1qbcsb2.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I think on top of this, it's even easier to dislike him and dismiss his comics when he often implicitly does the same by conceiving new comics as movie pitches.

Tizoc

I think aside from the terrible writing, he has a tendency to rely on shock-value to move books. Usually in the way of gore or rape.

And yes, I've seen Crossed. That's something else ENTIRELY.

Wait we talking Frank Miller or Mark Millar?
If Mark Millar, I don't recall him ever writing Crossed, and while I understand him using shock value I don't think he's even used rape? You sure you're not mixing the writers up?

Crossed is by Garth Ennis originally btw.

Nemesis didn't have rape IIRC...

I'm looking into reading some Green Lantern stories at the recommendation of a friend and from the little research I did, the big story arcs seem to be: Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Revolt of the Alpha-Lanterns, War of the Green Lanterns, Death of the Red Lanterns, Rise of the Third Army, Wrath of the First Lantern, and Lights Out. Are there any that I'm missing?

Assuming you haven't read them yet there is Green Lantern Rebirth and Sinestro Corp War before the ones you listed.

You know what's lame? The Infinity OHC doesn't contain Avengers 12-13. Literally the only way to get them via trade AND Infinity is to double dip. Avengers volume 3 gets you 12-17, but if you wanted to read infinity, the only way is via the OHC, which contains 14-23. So fucking dumb. Worst part? Most listings of the OHC are advertising it as having those two issues in it. Apparently Marvel amended that at some point.

Going by this picture of the back cover that a seller put on their ebay listing

Mafro

I think on top of this, it's even easier to dislike him and dismiss his comics when he often implicitly does the same by conceiving new comics as movie pitches.
Aside from his willy-nilly use of rape, over-the-top, unnecessary violence and massively overblown self promotion, this is what annoys me about him the most these days. A lot of his creator-owned stuff seems to get picked up for a movie before it's even out, I guess it helps to have a lot of friends in high places in the movie business.

Also, speaking as someone from Scotland, he's a massive hypocrite when it comes to his pro-Scottish independence stance. He constantly goes on about that on Twitter when he was more than happy to accept his MBE from the Queen last year. Presumably he'll be relinquishing that if Scotland becomes independent based on his views.

Also, speaking as someone from Scotland, he's a massive hypocrite when it comes to his pro-Scottish independence stance. He constantly goes on about that on Twitter when he was more than happy to accept his MBE from the Queen last year. Presumably he'll be relinquishing that if Scotland becomes independent based on his views.

Oh dude haha. I didn't want to say it when Suffah asked about him, since it's outside of the comics realm ,but it was the first thing I thought too.

Eldren

Oh man, it's not even that they've just decided to go their separate ways, they've had a falling out? That sucks. Annihilation is what properly got me into comics a couple of years back. Profound sadness indeed.

I think once we all see where Cornell is going with this book we will be calling Wolverine the break out book of All New Marvel Now. I haven't seen the full sales but I am surprised nothing else by Marbel cracked the top ten. Hopefully great books like Black Widow and Inhuman are high enough to sustain a lengthy tale.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

I don't mind the worldbuilding. I know Hickman is building up to something big.

Hawkeye is a comic where it feels like the plot hasn't moved in a year. The adventures of Kate and Clint was amazing for awhile but they need to move past the Clown and Bro Gang plot. Also the delays...

Just one more friendly reminder, it is Green Lantern day (Sector 2814, 2/8/14) and most GL nu52 books are on sale for .99 on Comixology. Also, if you follow the current creators on Twitter today, they will be giving out GL comics and swag as the day goes on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

elitist? no. have you ever wondered why all of his series that have been made into movies have been altered to varying degrees? because that mess isn't palatable by the average person. then there's the shitting on the intelligence of his fanbase or putting out hot garbage series, and I think the hate is well deserved. I bought all of wanted and kick ass based on his work on red son and wondered what the hell happened. the unfunnies exists, and he helped turn hank pym into a joke again.

Oh man, it's not even that they've just decided to go their separate ways, they've had a falling out? That sucks. Annihilation is what properly got me into comics a couple of years back. Profound sadness indeed.

WIshing I hadn't got rid of those 3 annihilation HCs I had back in the day, they go for about £50 each on ebay now :(

Owzers

You know what's lame? The Infinity OHC doesn't contain Avengers 12-13. Literally the only way to get them via trade AND Infinity is to double dip. Avengers volume 3 gets you 12-17, but if you wanted to read infinity, the only way is via the OHC, which contains 14-23. So fucking dumb. Worst part? Most listings of the OHC are advertising it as having those two issues in it. Apparently Marvel amended that at some point.

Going by this picture of the back cover that a seller put on their ebay listing

Hmmm odd they amended it. DC does that with Green Lantern event trades, they put out the main trade and sometimes overlap issues with the individual title's trade.

Hmmm odd they amended it. DC does that with Green Lantern event trades, they put out the main trade and sometimes overlap issues with the individual title's trade.

See the thing is, it's not the overlapping I mind, it's the very small quantity of missing issues. I get that they made two routes. One for people who really like Avengers, and jsut want to barrel on with their regular book( although, with this particular book, I find that hard to imagine), or those who want the event. Regular volumes 3 for the people who don't want Infinity, volumes 3 inside of the Infinity OHC for those who do (given that they aren't just doing an infinity 1-6 HC - a seperate annoyance that would solve this).....except the OHC misses two of volume 3's issues. So you literally can't come out with all the issues unless you buy both books. So you're talking about buying volume 3, and having to pay for the overlap of 4 issues...to get two. I wouldn't mind buying the volume 3 and getting some overlap for a decent amount of unique issues, but it's a full volume purchase to get hold of two issues. I find that so uncool, especially given that they originally said 12 and 13 would be in there.

Owzers

If Marvel were going to charge 75 MSRP for Infinity, They might as well charge $100 and do a proper Omnibus of Avengers 1-23, New Avengers 1-13, Infinity 1-6.

I have all the issues on my trusty Ipad who would in no way betray me and have my comixology account get lost in the cloud of doom. I skipped Infinity OHC partly because i didn't really like it, and partly because it's a chunk of Avengers/New Avengers and if i were going to have those issues in print i'd also like the previous ones. Infinity was pretty much set up since the beginning of Avengers and New Avengers, feels weird to have people just jump in at issue 14, the arbitrary start of prelude to Infinity.

arkon

Yeah. It was the big take-away from the story on bleedingcool last month when they mentioned that there'd be a new DnA story in an upcoming GotG issue. There was that tweet from Abnett, which got some in that thread wondering what had gone on.

I wonder if it had something to do with their creator-owned work. They'd recently finished off Hypernaturals which I'd enjoyed and was a taste of what they could be like if they'd been put back on the Legion again.

Saw Spencer has tweeted a few times about Superior foes, obviously a reaction to the bleeding cool article. It does sound like the book will finish at 15. He basically says itd be ncie for it to keep going, lists the various ways you can support and how he'd like to write "a little more" but it definitely sounds like it'll wrap sooner than later and that the interview he did with CBR was supposed to be more of a celebratory "woo, we did so well we get to go A LITTLE longer" and not the way it kind of came across. That said, Marvel aren't stupid. They will have looked at the good reviews, reception, the potential to grow the fan base and spider-line, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an amazing reboot. EVERYTHING to do with side spider-man stuff is probably up in the air though, with the major editorial change, probably why he's not erring on the side of letting the fans down gently.

Blader

They didn't write Annihilation

I don't mind the worldbuilding. I know Hickman is building up to something big.

Hawkeye is a comic where it feels like the plot hasn't moved in a year. The adventures of Kate and Clint was amazing for awhile but they need to move past the Clown and Bro Gang plot. Also the delays...

The delays have really killed it. I'm sure it'll read fine in trade, but single issues it's been really drawn out.

Throw me into the group that agrees that Mark Millar is just truly awful.

I'm not a fan either but you have to give him credit for the Ultimates. That was really well done, and pretty much was the template the movies used for the Avengers. Which, a billion dollars later, turned out pretty well for them.

There's no doubt that his characters are generally extremely unlikeable, and almost everything he does seems to suggest a deep-seated contempt for humanity. Which is weird, because he seems like a quiet, nice, soft-spoken guy in real life.

The delays have really killed it. I'm sure it'll read fine in trade, but single issues it's been really drawn out.

Yeah, this has frustrated the hell out of me. I get what Fraction's going for, but the delays have killed the momentum of the story heavily. I think we're catching up now, but it's very frustrating. I read in an IGN interview that the Tracksuit Dracula stuff will be resolved by 20 or 21. I wonder if he'll keep going after that?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm not a fan either but you have to give him credit for the Ultimates. That was really well done, and pretty much was the template the movies used for the Avengers. Which, a billion dollars later, turned out pretty well for them.

There's no doubt that his characters are generally extremely unlikeable, and almost everything he does seems to suggest a deep-seated contempt for humanity. Which is weird, because he seems like a quiet, nice, soft-spoken guy in real life.

it wasn't the template for the movies though. there were ideas taken, sure(black fury, the chitauri, Hawkeye's design) but that's as far as it goes. marvel wants people to like the avengers.

When is Captain Marvel starting? Liked the preview of that book and I've never read about her before.

I think it's like March or April of this year the reboot starts again for that. And apparently it will incorporate, at least somewhat, what happened in the last series they had.

it wasn't the template for the movies though. there were ideas taken, sure(black fury, the chitauri, Hawkeye's design) but that's as far as it goes. marvel wants people to like the avengers.

They've influenced each other over the last few years. IIRC, Iron Man started weaing red-and-gold armour (as opposed to the mostly gunmetal suit from Ultimates 1 & 2) in Ultimate Marvel after the first movie came out. They must be mad salty Black Widow was killed off at the end of Ultimates 2.

I don't hate Mark Millar, I just groan when I see stuff like the Nemesis panels (the last Millar comic I ever bought). The man is very good at elevator pitches and talking to Hollywood suits. I think he just believes his own hype. It's a shame because I love the idea of Starlight, but I'll probably give it a miss.

Godamn, Green Arrow #28 was beautiful. The double page fight scene spread was one of the best layouts I've seen this side of JH Williams III.

What about the Hulk/Banner and how he was incorporated. And strongly linking the whole thing with Fury and Shield. Also introducing Captain America through a WW2 adventure like Ultimates 1 did and then taking his story straight into Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom