• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

They didn't write Annihilation

Oops, my bad. I should clarify, I read Annihilation and Conquest and then all the rest of the cosmic stuff they were involved in. Nova, Guardians Of The Galaxy, War Of Kings, Realm Of Kings, Thanos Imperative. I always forget they didn't write Annihilation. In my mind, those two are linked with all the cosmic stories so I just associate them with that first story.

thetechkid

Assuming you haven't read them yet there is Green Lantern Rebirth and Sinestro Corp War before the ones you listed.

I haven't read those, but I know what they were about. Also I've already read Blackest Night so I just planned on skipping them unless there is something of importance there that comes back later that I missed in the summaries I've read.

I haven't read those, but I know what they were about. Also I've already read Blackest Night so I just planned on skipping them unless there is something of importance there that comes back later that I missed in the summaries I've read.
If you know what happens already I guess you don't technically need to read them, but you'd be missing out on some pretty good comics by passing them by.

I don't mind the worldbuilding. I know Hickman is building up to something big.

Is he really? Are you sure? I ask because I genuinely do not know. I don't know Hickman's work well enough to trust that it's going to pay off. That the pieces will come together and stuff will really happen eventually. If that's the case, I might try to practice patience. As it is now, I don't find it to be quite an entirely satisfying read. Like Korupt said, they just keep introducing characters and get me caring about a thread and then it's dropped. Is this just the minutiae of Hickman's genius?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is he really? Are you sure? I ask because I genuinely do not know. I don't know Hickman's work well enough to trust that it's going to pay off. That the pieces will come together and stuff will really happen eventually. If that's the case, I might try to practice patience. As it is now, I don't find it to be quite an entirely satisfying read. Like Korupt said, they just keep introducing characters and get me caring about a thread and then it's dropped. Is this just the minutiae of Hickman's genius?

It worked with his stuff on Fantastic Four because it built off of the emotional bonds in place you find in a family with kids, parents, grandparents, and their uncles. Made for a good cathartic pay-off in the end with Future Franklin Richards as the lynch pin.

His work on Avengers just feels totally dry in comparison because nobody means anything to anyone else and he uses his own new characters to push anything of meaning plot-wise and it feels a stretch even calling it Avengers at a time. The rolling cycle of "no THESE are the baddest dudes in the galaxy! undefeatable!!" is also wearing thin.

I think his stuff almost REQUIRES a (pre-established) core family focus to work at this point, otherwise it feels like going through the motions wheel spinning with no connect. I'm not sure East of West will ever have that kind of focus to it, so it didn't really register for me.

I won't attempt to talk anyone around on Hickman, I think you either love him or hate him. However, as a full on lover of his works and having read everything bar his FF run, I would say that I can't imagine reading 20 pages of his work at a time, once a month, would be fulfilling at all. You want to sit down and dig into his stuff.

However, as another caveat, I'd pretty much say sitting down and reading 20 pages of any comic once a month is a bad idea, so who am I to say haha.

Sweet preview of the fuse #1 up on CBR. I really think Greenwood has come on a lot in the last few years. Although, I think it helps he gets in from the ground floor here, his style is so different to Mitten, he was never going to look good as a replacement on Wasteland. His cartoony edge is more suited to colour too, I think.

I loved the Ollie vs. Dad spread. The one you're talking about was a little harder for me to follow.

I agree it was definitely a bit harder to follow than your standard action scene, but I love the creativity of it. Before this series I had no idea who Sorrentino was, but now he's at the top of my radar as far as artists go.

Bii

Anyone else going to San Diego Comic-Con this year? Just bought my tickets an hour ago. I settled for Thursday/Friday (though I did have the option of getting Saturday and Sunday) but figured it'd be too much for my 18-month old.

rCIZZLE

Anyone else going to San Diego Comic-Con this year? Just bought my tickets an hour ago. I settled for Thursday/Friday (though I did have the option of getting Saturday and Sunday) but figured it'd be too much for my 18-month old.

Was planning on going but I got a bad lottery ticket apparently. None of the three in my group could get in until both Friday and Saturday were sold out so I guess we have to try our luck in the general public one whenever that happens. Guess I'll definitely be going to all 4 days at NYCC this year though which makes missing SDCC suck a little less.

Owzers

Avengers World #2: Marvel artists and writers, Marvel in general, let terrible character designs go even if you are attached to them.

Andrew_Forson_%28Earth-616%29_from_Avengers_World_Vol_1_2_001.jpg

That is so awful i want to hate this book just to spite the design. I hope you aren't proud of yourselves.

Without the beehive hats, AIM's just another bunch of generic evil dudes.

I'm still not sure of the differences between their Evil Country and Marvel's other Evil Country (Bagalia, I think it's called?).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
However, as another caveat, I'd pretty much say sitting down and reading 20 pages of any comic once a month is a bad idea, so who am I to say haha.

Man, I'm the same way. Sometimes even when I don't get around to continuing a comic for a few days I feel lost when I return to it. I can't even imagine reading a plot-heavy or even semi-complicated comic just one issue a month.

I live in San Diego county and have never been... I really want to go this year.

Sweet preview of the fuse #1 up on CBR. I really think Greenwood has come on a lot in the last few years. Although, I think it helps he gets in from the ground floor here, his style is so different to Mitten, he was never going to look good as a replacement on Wasteland. His cartoony edge is more suited to colour too, I think.

I'm REALLY stoked for this series and hope people buy the shit out of it. Not only do we have a female protagonist, but she's middle-aged. And she does not appear to be predisposed to using her feminine wiles to get the bad guy. YAY.

It worked with his stuff on Fantastic Four because it built off of the emotional bonds in place you find in a family with kids, parents, grandparents, and their uncles. Made for a good cathartic pay-off in the end with Future Franklin Richards as the lynch pin.

His work on Avengers just feels totally dry in comparison because nobody means anything to anyone else and he uses his own new characters to push anything of meaning plot-wise and it feels a stretch even calling it Avengers at a time. The rolling cycle of "no THESE are the baddest dudes in the galaxy! undefeatable!!" is also wearing thin.

I think his stuff almost REQUIRES a (pre-established) core family focus to work at this point, otherwise it feels like going through the motions wheel spinning with no connect. I'm not sure East of West will ever have that kind of focus to it, so it didn't really register for me.

It's interesting you say that because it's some of the familial/parental-type bonds that have worked best for me in East of West. One of my favorite bits is
Death's plot line with his child. More recently, the whole thing with that poor guy fusing with that pain/pleasure creature. And he was basically mothered by one of the characters prior to the fusing. Who was it, I dunno, War, maybe? Can't remember. But I loved that bit and the whole thing about him not saving or sparing him from that development I thought was really interesting.

Some of the other family stuff is less interesting like the House of Mao stuff. And the recent thing with the brothers.

One thing I will say about East of West that I enjoy is how the characters seem to alternate gender with each incarnation. I appreciate that element because it plays ever so subtly with notions of the fluidity of gender.

Owzers

Without the beehive hats, AIM's just another bunch of generic evil dudes.

I'm still not sure of the differences between their Evil Country and Marvel's other Evil Country (Bagalia, I think it's called?).

I hate all of Marvel's random crap. Beehive Aim guy merging with Halo armor is the worst.

Avengers World #2: Marvel artists and writers, Marvel in general, let terrible character designs go even if you are attached to them.

That is so awful i want to hate this book just to spite the design. I hope you aren't proud of yourselves.

An artist is told to make a beehive uniform look formidable, it was probably the best outcome.

I've been pretty impressed with what Hickman has been doing with A.I.M., they never seemed like a threat before, just a tool for MODOK to use. Now they are pulling people left and right from dying universes. It will be interesting to see where this all goes.

Yeah, i got lucky and landed Fri/Sat/Sun for me and two friends. My other friends are fairing less lucky, hopefully they can get some from the open sale

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
What about the Hulk/Banner and how he was incorporated. And strongly linking the whole thing with Fury and Shield. Also introducing Captain America through a WW2 adventure like Ultimates 1 did and then taking his story straight into Avengers.

seeing as how they removed the dominant persona as well as the cannibalism from the hulk, and they kept the fact that he feels too unstable to be around the avengers, thats 616. the shield avengers I'll give you. and the captain America story I doubt was done to homage. but to push the avengers movie forward with just enough of an established background like they did with Thor.

Man I am loving The Walking Dead comics! Much better than the show in my opinion.

I've always enjoyed the comic more out of the two, but both are a blast. Honestly, the current story arc of the comics is starting to wear on me, though. Something big needs to happen soon. But you won't have to worry about that until you get passed issue #110.

SSJLuffy

I've always enjoyed the comic more out of the two, but both are a blast. Honestly, the current story arc of the comics is starting to wear on me, though. Something big needs to happen soon. But you won't have to worry about that until you get passed issue #110.

I'm currently on Issue 23. Honestly, the first few issues were only alright but the series has been getting better and better each issue, but holy shit when they got to the prison it got addicting... I've read like 4 issues today (might not sound like a lot but for me its a lot I usually read like an issue a day) and I don't plan on stopping.

I have a feeling this series is gonna kill me when I gotta read monthly.

Also, I like how the TV series and comic are different. Makes it interesting to read the source material and when I catch up it'll be nice to see something different than what I've already read.

Also, I like how the TV series and comic are different. Makes it interesting to read the source material and when I catch up it'll be nice to see something different than what I've already read.

Well, they pretty much had to. The comic was so far ahead, if they didn't change things up, people who also read the comic would get bored because they would always know what was coming.

SSJLuffy

Well, they pretty much had to. The comic was so far ahead, if they didn't change things up, people who also read the comic would get bored because they would always know what was coming.

Lots of animes adapt the manga and don't really change anything and they are awesome in my opinion at least. But I guess I see your point.

Anyway, back to more Walking Dead.

Lots of animes adapt the manga and don't really change anything and they are awesome in my opinion, at least. But I guess I see your point.

Anyway, back to more Walking Dead.

Right, but this is America we're talking about. A lot of people here have the attention-spans of goldfish.

Messi

How is the Saga vol 1 trade so insanely popular? It's been #1 for so long. It's a great read but you would have to think it would have slumped in sales a bit by now. I'm very happy it keeps selling though.

Owzers

I like the Walking Dead comics and the show is Heroes-tier for me, something that makes me cringe yet i still watch it. I don't care if they change stuff up, but there's no pacing to the seasons and sometimes characters are just too dumb, namely Andrea.

How is the Saga vol 1 trade so insanely popular? It's been #1 for so long. It's a great read but you would have to think it would have slumped in sales a bit by now. I'm very happy it keeps selling though.

Word of mouth, I imagine. After people finish it, there's a "hey dude, you gotta read this". And the trend continues. It's a good thing, Saga is a great series and deserves to be read by everyone.

Bii

Yeah, i got lucky and landed Fri/Sat/Sun for me and two friends. My other friends are fairing less lucky, hopefully they

You should try and go, at least for a day and experience all of the chaos. This will be my fourth year in a row.

I think it's been gaining a consistent flow of new readers, mostly by word of mouth. I didn't start reading Saga until August 2013 and had to get the first two trades before I started on the monthlies. One of my friends just started reading comics and I recommended Saga to him, so I'm sure he'll contribute to those sales once he buys it.

Messi

Word of mouth, I imagine. After people finish it, there's a "hey dude, you gotta read this". And the trend continues. It's a good thing, Saga is a great series and deserves to be read by everyone.

Well funny you say that. When I started back reading comics in July last year I went into a comic store in the USA just looking for a bat book of some kind to read. They had a top 10 trades rack and it had Batman new 52 vol 1 on it and while looking at the rack SAGA was #1. For some reason I knew SAGA was a big thing, I must have overheard it somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea where. I looked at it because being honest I liked the look of Alana and her wings. What sold me most was the 9.99 price tag.

Still have to get that SAGA #8 issue. So beautiful.

OCT120541_2.jpg

You should try and go, at least for a day and experience all of the chaos. This will be my fourth year in a row.
you may have meant to quote the other guy, but yeah i went last year on sunday and it was craaaaazy. one day (the shortest one, too) is not enough to see what you wanna see

seeing as how they removed the dominant persona as well as the cannibalism from the hulk, and they kept the fact that he feels too unstable to be around the avengers, thats 616.

I'm talking more of the how characters fit in the plot, not specifically what versions of them are being used. If you put the first Captain America movie and the Avengers movie together, it ends up looking a lot like the first six issues of the Ultimates:

Captain America, the first Avenger, is introduced, fighting in WWII.

He gets taken out and seemingly dies but is revived in the future by SHIELD, which is preparing to put together a new superhero team to deal with an alien threat.

The team features the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow and is overseen by Samuel L Fury.

They decide to involve Bruce Banner for his scientific knowledge, which at first seems like a terrible mistake when the Hulk goes on a rampage, but it turns out to be the ace in the hole when the monster ends up saving the day against the aliens.

Bii

you may have meant to quote the other guy, but yeah i went last year on sunday and it was craaaaazy. one day (the shortest one, too) is not enough to see what you wanna see

Oops, meant to quote Kipp.

I went for all four days last year and I still didn't even manage to see most of what I wanted to see...and that was without attending any panels at all.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Add my shop to the "sold out of Captain Marvel" list. And sold out of Previews. I am really bummed.

Omega

Banned
Well funny you say that. When I started back reading comics in July last year I went into a comic store in the USA just looking for a bat book of some kind to read. They had a top 10 trades rack and it had Batman new 52 vol 1 on it and while looking at the rack SAGA was #1. For some reason I knew SAGA was a big thing, I must have overheard it somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea where. I looked at it because being honest I liked the look of Alana and her wings. What sold me most was the 9.99 price tag.

Still have to get that SAGA #8 issue. So beautiful.

https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/c/OCT120541_2.jpg?h=480c13ef687b74494d663ace7ea8808a[img][/QUOTE]

Yep, love that cover.

A 1920x1080 version of that is my wallpaper

I've been on board since day one, so I have every issue so far. It's fun to collect full runs of books you like.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking the time at last years ECCC to have Fiona sign my copies (or at least 1 and 8). But the line was just too damn long. I'm pretty sure only Scott Snyder's was longer.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking the time at last years ECCC to have Fiona sign my copies (or at least 1 and 8). But the line was just too damn long. I'm pretty sure only Scott Snyder's was longer.

Don't signatures decrease the value of the book unless you've got one of the CGC people present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom