• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow. That's pretty impressive. Obviously took some planning.

Up to the start of the 3rd volume. I read the first two trades and have floppies for the current run.

It's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't. If you're already caught up to the story, just let this serve as a lesson for the future to keep an eye out for books that look interesting so you can get in on the ground floor next time.

Messi

Wow. That's pretty impressive. Obviously took some planning.

It's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't. If you're already caught up to the story, just let this serve as a lesson for the future to keep an eye out for books that look interesting so you can get in on the ground floor next time.

In on that harley ground floor with my 1 in 25 cover

dc-comics-harley-quinn-issue-1b.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You should try and go, at least for a day and experience all of the chaos. This will be my fourth year in a row.

Yeah, I'll definitely try my best to make it. It seems like a really great time.

I like the Walking Dead comics and the show is Heroes-tier for me, something that makes me cringe yet i still watch it. I don't care if they change stuff up, but there's no pacing to the seasons and sometimes characters are just too dumb, namely Andrea.

This is the difference between the book and series that I cannot abide. I don't know who that shadow of a woman was on the show but she was not my Andrea.

I'm excited that TWD comics Andrea figure will drop this summer! Had to wait for the third round of figures and watch as Penny and Michonne's Pet were made first but- still! Yay! Finally my Andrea figure!

This is the difference between the book and series that I cannot abide. I don't know who that shadow of a woman was on the show but she was not my Andrea.

Yeah, she was an angry, pissy Andrea. Not at all like the one in the comics. I'm glad
she got killed off in the TV series

Owzers

The only other acting i have a problem with is King Carl, but he's improving.

WATXM #40: I can see why you guys like it, but i'm immune to x-men feels now, the wolverine/cyclops moment meant nothing to me. It's Aaron writing a Bendis character.

Finally got around to hitting the shop to pick up this week's haul.

Marvel Comics
Black Widow #3
Captain America #16.NOW
Loki: Agent of Asgard #1
Ms. Marvel #1
New Avengers #14
Punisher #1

Image Comics
Lazarus #6

Dark Horse Comics
Lobster Johnson: Get the Lobster #1

Other Publishers
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #1 (Dynamite)

Thoughts on the new #1's debuts this week:

-Ms. Marvel #1
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, which is to say that I wasn't entirely sold on the concept before and found that it exceeded my expectations as a result. This issue doesn't really try anything new with its protagonist; Kamala's story of youth caught between cultures and yearning for something more to free her is pretty standard as far as these narratives go. It works, though, because Kamala is a genuinely likeable and relateable character, her family and friends are distinctive and quickly established, the artwork is incredible in its fluidity and packed with details, and the "cliffhanger" (come on, people, she's a shape-shifter) is sure to raise eyebrows and land the hook.
I'll definitely be checking out the next issue, and possibly adding it to the pull list.

-Loki: Agent of Asgard #1
Wow, this first issue leaned heavily on the Avengers movie, didn't it? I mean, that makes sense given that outside of the usual audience for comics, this book's target demo is the Loki fans who know him from the movie. And I have to say, mission accomplished in setting that tone: I found myself "hearing" Loki's dialogue internal and external in Hiddleston's voice. The story itself was a bit underwhelming though, and while the Avengers referencing worked in some areas it felt forced and heavy-handed in others. The cliffhanger, though, had its intended effect and I join others in going "WHAAAAAAAAT?!?
I'll check out the next few issues, at least, but hopefully that leaning stops soon.

-Punisher #1
This felt less like the first issue of a new series, and more like a continuation of something I haven't read. There's no setup here, no explanation for why Frank is working out of Los Angeles with a supporting cast in place; he's just there, doing what comes naturally. There's an assumption of familiarity here and, while a daring approach to take, that may not work in every reader's favor. Also, this Frank is a bit of a talker, with a sardonic edge I'm unaccustomed to seeing from him. A different take, but not necessarily a bad one. The artwork is clean and without flash, which suits a Punisher book very well.
I have to admit, I'm not sold on this; it hasn't grabbed me like the start of Rucka's run did.

-Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #1
Maybe I read through it too fast, but the story here felt very disjointed. Also, the braves' dialogue in some scenes seemed too modern, and that threw me out of the story. The artwork reminded me a bit of Punisher's, very clean and not flashy, with a nice use of shadows in some panels. The dinosaurs, however, weren't very impressive to look at -- and that's a problem for a book about dinosaurs. The most interesting thing about this issue was the ending "hook"; 13th Century European Crusaders, conquering the Americas with captive dinosaurs? That's quite the hook.
I might give the second issue a flip through off the rack, but I don't think I'd buy it outright.

I flipped through Rover Red Charlie #3 off the rack, got to the part where
the wild boy on a leash is made to lick the big bulldog's privates for him
, and promptly put the book back onto the shelf. There's the Ennis I've come to expect. :|

Kipp

Woo! Just got my copy of Black Beetle in the mail that I got for free through the rewards program at work. So excited to read it.
It's a really solid little hardcover, too. Of course, I wasn't expecting anything less from Dark Horse. If Marvel and DC made their standard size hardcovers the way Dark Horse does with a sewn binding and no dust jacket, I'd buy way more of them.

Woo! Just got my copy of Black Beetle in the mail that I got for free through the rewards program at work. So excited to read it.
It's a really solid little hardcover, too. Of course, I wasn't expecting anything less from Dark Horse. If Marvel and DC made their standard size hardcovers the way Dark Horse does with a sewn binding and no dust jacket, I'd buy way more of them.

Hells yeah. Black Beetle is awesome. I'll prolly double dip with that Hardcover,,

Bums me out tho that Black Beetle: Necrologue got delayed till June ?!. :-(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, I finished yesterday the second Invincible Iron Man Omnibus by Matt Fraction and I just love his work. The whole arc with Tony Stark on the run was so great written, thrilling and funny on the same time. The story with Stark Resilent and Tonys start from the beginnign was very interesting to read. To bad, that the whole part with Detroit Steel was really boring. I hope, the rest of the run stays on the high level. I ordered immidiatly My Monsters and Unfixable (I am really excited to see how Tony deals with Doctor Octopus) and will soon buy the rest. I am really excited to see what the Mandarin is planing.

Is the Annihilation Omnibus worth preordering when I never read anything related to the cosmic Marvel Universe?
I know who most of the characters and races are and want to get some knowledge about the universe before the Guardians of the Galaxy movie starts, but I really dislike the current series. Should I buy it?

Owzers

So, I finished yesterday the second Invincible Iron Man Omnibus by Matt Fraction and I just love his work. The whole arc with Tony Stark on the run was so great written, thrilling and funny on the same time. The story with Stark Resilent and Tonys start from the beginnign was very interesting to read. To bad, that the whole part with Detroit Steel was really boring. I hope, the rest of the run stays on the high level. I ordered immidiatly My Monsters and Unfixable (I am really excited to see how Tony deals with Doctor Octopus) and will soon buy the rest. I am really excited to see what the Mandarin is planing.

Is the Annihilation Omnibus worth preordering when I never read anything related to the cosmic Marvel Universe?
I know who most of the characters and races are and want to get some knowledge about the universe before the Guardians of the Galaxy movie starts, but I really dislike the current series. Should I buy it?

Definitely get it, Annihilation was one of the better events to come out from Marvel. instocktrades.com will probably have it half off on release week.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Definitely get it, Annihilation was one of the better events to come out from Marvel. instocktrades.com will probably have it half off on release week.

Im from germany, so sadly I cant buy my Omnibusses to these insane low prices. It will be around 80€ in germany and maybe drop in price until may. But I will wait and maybe buy it somewhere else.

Marvel has really an insanely good Omnibus Lineup in the next couple of months with Annihilation, Uncanny X-Force by Remender, Spider-Man by Roger Stern and Infinity Gauntlet. If I had the money I would buy all of them^^

Vibranium

Banned
Finally got around to hitting the shop to pick up this week's haul.

-Punisher #1
This felt less like the first issue of a new series, and more like a continuation of something I haven't read. There's no setup here, no explanation for why Frank is working out of Los Angeles with a supporting cast in place; he's just there, doing what comes naturally. There's an assumption of familiarity here and, while a daring approach to take, that may not work in every reader's favor. Also, this Frank is a bit of a talker, with a sardonic edge I'm unaccustomed to seeing from him. A different take, but not necessarily a bad one. The artwork is clean and without flash, which suits a Punisher book very well.
I have to admit, I'm not sold on this; it hasn't grabbed me like the start of Rucka's run did.

I definitely agree with you Spike that Punisher certainly has some big questions to answer, like why Frank is growing more comfortable with talking in public (I'm a believer that all character personality evolution should be explained), how he's not identified as The Punisher with a lot of the general public, how he got to California/out of the Avengers prison, etc. I expect Edmondson to answer at least a few of those though.

Still, I'm sold on this team and the long haul.

Vibranium

Banned
Without the beehive hats, AIM's just another bunch of generic evil dudes.

I'm still not sure of the differences between their Evil Country and Marvel's other Evil Country (Bagalia, I think it's called?).

Well AIM kind of do need a redesign to make their hats and suits look more hi-tech, but I agree that this current artwork is terrible.

HYDRA already got an amazing design by David Aja in Immortal Iron Fist that Marvel editorial refuses to adapt for some stupid reason:

These dudes look like they mean business with unique outfits that nevertheless look tactical.

KidDork

Read Punisher. It was a good first issue, with that noir feel I've always associated with good Punisher stories.

The thing with Punisher--the thing that always stands out when it's clear the story is set in the established Marvel Universe--is why he's been allowed to keep doing what he's doing for as long as he has. Has this ever been explained? Why haven't the Avengers just taken him down?

Splatt

Read Punisher. It was a good first issue, with that noir feel I've always associated with good Punisher stories.

The thing with Punisher--the thing that always stands out when it's clear the story is set in the established Marvel Universe--is why he's been allowed to keep doing what he's doing for as long as he has. Has this ever been explained? Why haven't the Avengers just taken him down?

They did, at the end of Rucka's run.

Noone knows how he escaped maximum security underwater prison. It should have been explained in Thunderbolts how he escaped, but, apparently, everyone forgot about it when Way left the book.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
New Punisher has inspired me to go back and reread Ennis and Aarons runs. Grabbing them off ebay now...Ennis Vol 4 is crazy expensive for some reason. Also tempted to wait for Aaron omnibus.

How was Ruckas run?

KidDork

Noone knows how he escaped maximum security underwater prison. It should have been explained in Thunderbolts how he escaped, but, apparently, everyone forgot about it when Way left the book.

Thank you. I didn't read all of Rucka's run. My bad.

Looked through the All-New Marvel NOW! March-April Previews. Iron Fist and Secret Avengers look to be on point! How is Dan Slott with dialogue and characterization, guys? I'm learning that the strength of this key for me. Slott is doing Silver Surfer, a character I've become interested in.

Kipp

Anyone have any clue why this omnibus has a MSRP of $124.99 even though it's "just" 880 pages? I was under the impression that an omnibus had to break the 1000 page mark to hit that price point.

Anyone have any clue why this omnibus has a MSRP of $124.99 even though it's "just" 880 pages? I was under the impression that an omnibus had to break the 1000 page mark to hit that price point.

Because monies. People have been clamoring for an Annihilation omnibus for a while. The extra $25 is probably just a "giving the fans what they want" tax.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there a trade with Annihillition: Conquest announced? Just read over there in the Marvel Events Thread, that Annihilation was just the beginning of multiple events.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I caught up on several weeks of comics. My favorites were Deadly Class, Black Science, The Punisher, and Zero. Constantine was good and was pretty interesting
with its portrayal of God.

Vibranium

Banned
Looked through the All-New Marvel NOW! March-April Previews. Iron Fist and Secret Avengers look to be on point! How is Dan Slott with dialogue and characterization, guys? I'm learning that the strength of this key for me. Slott is doing Silver Surfer, a character I've become interested in.

A lot of people feel that his supporting cast characters are very generic and the same, a la Bendis. Fortunately Silver Surfer will only have him and his female companion (like Dr. Who haha) so things could improve. I'm not picking up the book though (or reading Superior right now) so I wouldn't be the best person to rely on.

Generally I like how he writes Spider-Man/Spock though, it's everyone else I have a problem with. Plus some of his stories for me can be overly cheesy or feel like retreads (love Spider-Island though, that was cool). JJ is one character Slott has completely wasted for example, Jameson needs way more development than becoming mayor. I want to see evolution where he puts his Spidey hatred behind him (over a long arc though), and not because of Doc Ock's hardline methods.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people feel that his supporting cast characters are very generic and the same, a la Bendis. Fortunately Silver Surfer will only have him and his female companion (like Dr. Who haha) so things could improve. I'm not picking up the book though (or reading Superior right now) so I wouldn't be the best person to rely on.

Generally I like how he writes Spider-Man/Spock though, it's everyone else I have a problem with. Plus some of his stories for me can be overly cheesy or feel like retreads (love Spider-Island though, that was cool). JJ is one character Slott has completely wasted for example, Jameson needs way more development than becoming mayor. I want to see evolution where he puts his Spidey hatred behind him (over a long arc though), and not because of Doc Ock's hardline methods.

You want Ultimate JJ then.

I definitely agree with you Spike that Punisher certainly has some big questions to answer, like why Frank is growing more comfortable with talking in public (I'm a believer that all character personality evolution should be explained), how he's not identified as The Punisher with a lot of the general public, how he got to California/out of the Avengers prison, etc. I expect Edmondson to answer at least a few of those though.

Still, I'm sold on this team and the long haul.

I think this is just a more sociable take on Castle, since it essentially feels like a reboot.

I treat every new creative team as a total reboot, otherwise the story, especially for Castle, gets more and more ridiculous.

For me, I treat Rucka and Edmondson as one timeline. Rucka's run starts several years after Central Park, hence the silent sentinel of punishment Castle. He goes to prison, is there for a long time, comes to some realizations, and eventually escapes. Cue Edmondson.

Ennis is a separate timeline. Fraction/Remender is one timeline. 80s/90s Punisher is another.

Boom, my sanity remains

They did at the end of Rucka's run. Pretty sure this is a question that's been dealt with a few times.

Ultimately, I think the Avengers just don't give a shit. They have bigger shit to worry about unless they need the higher moral ground

New Punisher has inspired me to go back and reread Ennis and Aarons runs. Grabbing them off ebay now...Ennis Vol 4 is crazy expensive for some reason. Also tempted to wait for Aaron omnibus.

How was Ruckas run?

Excellent. Very different from Ennis, Fraction, Remender, and Edmondson.

diaspora

Rulk probably bailed/ busted him out.

Superior Spider-List

Astro City #9
Coffin Hill #5
Fatale #20
Fuse #1
Walking Dead #121
All-New X-Men #23
She-Hulk #1
Wolverine & The X-Men #41
X-Force #1

Bigfoot

How was Ruckas run?
Is Ennis Vol 4 the 12 issue volume also called "Welcome Back Frank"? If so, that is one of the best Punisher stories I've read. Also read through all the Punisher Max stuff years ago which had some great arcs. Never did read the second non-Max Punisher Ennis did... I should track that down along with this new Punisher.

It's been sometime as I've skipped the last 2 runs, and Punisher is one of my favourite characters.

Blader

Didn't really care that much about the new Punisher #1. Wasn't bad, but just kind of blah.

Ennis' Punisher MAX is still, for my money, the definitive run on the character. Aaron's stuff was good, with some *gorgeous* artwork, shame it was cut down so quickly.

frye

Is Ennis Vol 4 the 12 issue volume also called "Welcome Back Frank"? If so, that is one of the best Punisher stories I've read. Also read through all the Punisher Max stuff years ago which had some great arcs. Never did read the second non-Max Punisher Ennis did... I should track that down along with this new Punisher.

It's been sometime as I've skipped the last 2 runs, and Punisher is one of my favourite characters.

Probably talking about the fourth hardcover of the MAX series.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Didn't really care that much about the new Punisher #1. Wasn't bad, but just kind of blah.

Ennis' Punisher MAX is still, for my money, the definitive run on the character. Aaron's stuff was good, with some *gorgeous* artwork, shame it was cut down so quickly.

No question Ennis' run is the definitive run.

I like Steve Dillon but damn if his characters don't look the same in all his books. His Punisher run was basically the cast of Preacher impersonating Frank and friends.

Probably talking about the fourth hardcover of the MAX series.

Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom