• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Hickman has any plans on finishing his SHIELD book?

Yup, Weaver campaigned to finish it over another Avengers arc and something else he turned down. He's had issue 5 done for awhile, just needed Hickman to turn in the script for 6 to draw it. That's what Weaver is working on right now, so should be good to go later this year.

Click

DC COMICS
Batman #28 (Zero Year keeps on delivering)
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #5
Justice League 3000 #3
Justice League Of America #12
Superman Wonder Woman #5

IDW PUBLISHING
Transformers Robots in Disguise #26

IMAGE COMICS
Walking Dead #121 (This is my last arc unless it somehow ends with an interesting situation)

MARVEL COMICS
All-New X-Factor #3 (I'm still not convinced but PAD deserves an arc or two)
All-New X-Men #23
Avengers #26
Deadpool #23
Secret Avengers #15
She-Hulk #1
Superior Spider-Man #27.NOW
Thor God Of Thunder #19.NOW (Ribic's return! I'm really looking forward to this)
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #1
Wolverine And The X-Men #41 (It will be sad to see Aaron off, but Latour seems like a nice choice to replace him.)
X-Force #1 (Wasn't going to pick this but I'll give it a try because you guys have continually praised SixGun Gorilla.)
X-Men Legacy #24

ONI PRESS
Letter 44 #4 (Because two Soule books a week isn't enough)

DC COMICS

Wolverine And The X-Men #41 (It will be sad to see Aaron off, but Latour seems like a nice choice to replace him.)

I would feel good about this man. Admittedly, he doesn't have a big enough body of work yet to guarantee he'll turn it out every time, but that Winter Soldier arc was so so good. Such intelligent writing, I haven't saw a writer with such a solid grasp on the themes he wants to explore and tell the story with such style at the same time come out of no-where like that in a good while. Just brilliant stuff, hopefully he can show that with W&XM. Being Aaron's friend and partner on their own book too means they'll probably be pretty tight over this and amazing x-men, supporting each other with characterisations and events in sync.

Any Infinity tie-ins other than Avengers/New Avengers worth reading? Going to pick up those HCs this week (that preorder deal for Infinity at instocktrades is nuts!)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reading the old Death's Head series (late 80s) and it's enjoyable. I kind of wanted to explore DH a little more since my only exposure to him was in the mid to late 90s and it was with Death's Head II (which I felt, at the time, was the most AWESOME character design) - and I remember being legit shook that the original killed DH II. It's weird though, while I like it, I don't love it.

And I guess I gotta be honest, Death's Head can look downright derpy.

2amOi7S.jpg

But you talk to a 15 year old me, and this was the HOT SHIT

gERXfLg.jpg

AJahrMl.jpg

Dat List:

Marvel:
All-New X-Factor #3
All-New X-Men #23
Avengers #26
Deadpool #23
Revolutionary War: Death's Head II #1
She-Hulk #1
Superior Spider-Man #27.NOW - BOOK OF THE WEEK
X-Force #1
X-Men Legacy #24

DC:
Batman #28
Injustice: Year Two #2
Justice League 3000 #3
Legion of Super Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga TPB
Power Girl: Power Trip TPB
Superman/Wonder Woman #5

Others:
Legenderry: A Steampunk Adventure #2 of 7 (Dynamite)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise #26 (IDW)
The Walking Dead #121 (Image)
Eternal Warrior #6 (Valiant)

I would feel good about this man. Admittedly, he doesn't have a big enough body of work yet to guarantee he'll turn it out every time, but that Winter Soldier arc was so so good. Such intelligent writing, I haven't saw a writer with such a solid grasp on the themes he wants to explore and tell the story with such style at the same time come out of no-where like that in a good while. Just brilliant stuff, hopefully he can show that with W&XM. Being Aaron's friend and partner on their own book too means they'll probably be pretty tight over this and amazing x-men, supporting each other with characterisations and events in sync.
For a moment I forgot Aaron is still on Amazing X-Men. Two simultaneous books by different great writers is just what the Wolverine side of the X-Books needs to properly flesh out. Specially considering the dreck that is the Wolvie solo book.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I recall the naysayers saying something about how terrible Zero Year was going to be and lamenting a year of shit. How did that turn out?

I was not amongst this number. I had faith in Snyder/Capullo. I think weekly series are very very hard to maintain quality on though, both with art (hey what's Patrick Olliffe doing these days??) and the writing. 52 was prob the best it ever got, and even that was super patchy at times.

Let's say it's a B-grade book. That' not good enough. 2.99 a pop four times a month, do you really have $12 a month spare for mediocre? They have to do something incredible to make this be good.

Also, tying into the Beyond stuff is making this an unhill battle for me to care about, and I can almost guarantee I'm the biggest Batman fan on GAF. Top three at least.

For the sake of argument let's pretend that the stories do end up being B-grade. You consider that mediocre? Not good? So comics are either mediocre or amazing? ;)

As a huge Beyond fan I love the idea of bringing him into main continuity.

Also, talking about characters like they're real makes us sound like 14 year old girls or Sherlock fans.

Or, y'know, it sounds like people having fun with their hobby. Sometimes it's fun to play along like it's real, for the sake of argument. It gives you a chance to dig deeper and join your imagination to this world of fiction just by thinking it through and debating with others. I've done this on message boards with regards with TV shows I was really into (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, being one). I also do this all the time with my mom and soap operas.

I don't always want to think about how a plot point is unfolding right now because it's a particularly important sales week or because the writer is ticking something off a list. Sometimes I'm so invested in a story or a characters choices that I just want consider the mind of that character. How could he do that crazy thing? What was he thinking? Is it because of..? He's surely unredeemable now, or is he, etc.

I think these threads would be more fun if we allowed ourselves this play.

Owzers

Holy shit man, do you guys ever go on the cbr forums and feel like you felt into an alternate dimension where superheroes are real? It feels like half the discussions on there are held in this meta-kayfabe fashion as if the characters are real and genuinely accountable for their actions, outside of writers etc., it's kind of incredible to read haha.

I pretend all of you people are real.

I hope the Batman flash forward issue isn't solely about selling me on Eternal.

Splatt

I've been reading Dustin Weaver's blog that doniewhalberg linked to, and Dustin really comes across as cool, down to earth dude.

Can't wait for those final issues of S.H.I.E.L.D to land into my hands.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For the sake of argument let's pretend that the stories do end up being B-grade. You consider that mediocre? Not good? So comics are either mediocre or amazing? ;)

As a huge Beyond fan I love the idea of bringing him into main continuity.

Yeah totally, B-grade stuff gets dropped or Byrne-stolen. I only want to spend money on A-grade books, anything else is just a waste of money and time. This is what's wrong with comics man, too many folks spending money on stuff that is just alright. I could spent the UK equivalent of $12 a month on the remaining Preacher trades I've not got, or the last few Moore series I've not picked up, or any of the other classic runs out there. Or I could spend it on something I'll read once and struggle to remember ten minutes later. I'm hardline, man, you know this aiout me by now. It's either setting my balls on fire or it gets dropped after three issues and talked shit about forever more. I will occasionally buy something just so I have the right to trash talk it, but it as to be A-grade badness to get me to bite.

If you're into Beyond then I can see this series having more validity. But to me, Beyond isn't really Batman. It's Spider-Batman. And that's OK I guess. I blame ITV for their spotty broadcast of the show when I was a teen. If they showed it consistently I might give more of a crap. But to me, Beyond will always be that series I was raging at because they stopped showing the REAL Batman cartoon for it!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Or, y'know, it sounds like people having fun with their hobby. Sometimes it's fun to play along like it's real, for the sake of argument. It gives you a chance to dig deeper and join your imagination to this world of fiction just by thinking it through and debating with others. I've done this on message boards with regards with TV shows I was really into (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, being one). I also do this all the time with my mom and soap operas.

I don't always want to think about how a plot point is unfolding right now because it's a particularly important sales week or because the writer is ticking something off a list. Sometimes I'm so invested in a story or a characters choices that I just want consider the mind of that character. How could he do that crazy thing? What was he thinking? Is it because of..? He's surely unredeemable now, or is he, etc.

I think these threads would be more fun if we allowed ourselves this play.

Hey I'm sorry - please understand my posts are 50% true meaning, 50% bluster, hyperbole and pisstaking.

We have some very enthusiastic and uncritical fans here which is lovely. Let me be the cantankerous old bastard I am as well please :)

Owzers

b-grade are toss-ups. Once i find more interesting books to add to my pull list they tend to get cut, or in the case of Buffy i'm tired of being underwhelmed so i'm sitting out season 10 until reviews/trades. Though those are probably...c-grade...things i'm thinking of like Bendis books, JLoA, Amazing X-Men

Hey I'm sorry - please understand my posts are 50% true meaning, 50% bluster, hyperbole and pisstaking.

We have some very enthusiastic and uncritical fans here which is lovely. Let me be the cantankerous old bastard I am as well please :)

Yeah, sure. But if I think you're making sweeping statements that could make younger, less-confident forum contributors fear sounding like a dumb 14-year old Sherlock fan in their posts, then I'll probably check you. Not everyone is as old and verbose and confident as you and I. It would be nice to create an environment in which the kids can show up and just be like "shit, bros, Batman is so cool! Did you see in issue 28..?'

b-grade are toss-ups. Once i find more interesting books to add to my pull list they tend to get cut, or in the case of Buffy i'm tired of being underwhelmed so i'm sitting out season 10 until reviews/trades. Though those are probably...c-grade...things i'm thinking of like Bendis books, JLoA, Amazing X-Men

Yeah, if you prioritize discovering and reading the best of what's out there, you end up with a lot of number #1 and first arcs of series. And it can be hard to drop B-grade books when there is something legit appealing to you about a series. I'm trying to become tougher with my standards. If I'm gonna permit mysel to try so many series than I have learn when to drop that guillotine.

There are so many aspects of life one has to be serious, and an adult in. When it comes to comics and video games, I enjoy things that allow me to escape back to childhood. For me, comics and games are relax and escapism time. I'm not saying I don't look for quality, but I'm not cutting off B-level games or books either. There's so much out there that is interesting and enjoyable with out having to be the best of the best. That's my personal take on it.

Mdk7

Guys, as i dino fan i have to ask you this... How is Turok? It's not looking that hot judging from those pictures, at least art-wise.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
If you're into Beyond then I can see this series having more validity. But to me, Beyond isn't really Batman. It's Spider-Batman. And that's OK I guess. I blame ITV for their spotty broadcast of the show when I was a teen. If they showed it consistently I might give more of a crap. But to me, Beyond will always be that series I was raging at because they stopped showing the REAL Batman cartoon for it!

Beyond is actually a great concept and series. It links directly to Batman and not via vague allusions, and maintains a pretty damn high quality through and through. The comic series, prior to this Higgins run, was also very good and Terry, in my mind, is an organic and great Batman.

As for Spider-Batman--I mean, sure, Terry's young and busts out a quip from time to time, but the interplay between Terry and Old Man Bruce is what makes the series stand out and entirely different and great. I've always liked Terry more than Peter Parker because Terry always seemed more logical, dependent, and just righteous. Also, Batman Beyond as a show was just leagues ahead of every Spider-Man animated show.

I'm all for Terry's introduction into the new 52 because why not merge a brilliant offshoot with the current DCU and see what happens when some great writers get their hands on it.

Guys, as i dino fan i have to ask you this... How is Turok? It's not looking that hot judging from those pictures, at least art-wise.
I addressed it briefly in an earlier post. Only one type shows up in the first issue, a group of raptors, and only for a few pages. They look like raptors with feathered plumage, and that's about it. Not particularly detailed designs or even very colorful, which was disappointing to me for a book about dinosaurs.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Beyond is actually a great concept and series. It links directly to Batman and not via vague allusions, and maintains a pretty damn high quality through and through. The comic series, prior to this Higgins run, was also very good and Terry, in my mind, is an organic and great Batman.

As for Spider-Batman--I mean, sure, Terry's young and busts out a quip from time to time, but the interplay between Terry and Old Man Bruce is what makes the series stand out and entirely different and great. I've always liked Terry more than Peter Parker because Terry always seemed more logical, dependent, and just righteous. Also, Batman Beyond as a show was just leagues ahead of every Spider-Man animated show.

I'm all for Terry's introduction into the new 52 because why not merge a brilliant offshoot with the current DCU and see what happens when some great writers get their hands on it.

I loved the Beyond tv series, but I hated the
"Terry is the secret son of Bruce"
coda episode. Sort of undermined the whole "self-determination" core of Batman, imo. I'm really enjoying the BB 2.0 comic though.

On the A grade/B grade comic thing, this is just how I look at it: There are so many A grade comics if you look in the right places, and are into a diverse set of genres, publishers etc., I would never need to buy a *B grade book* as we're calling them, or books that are fine disposable fun in my mind.

I understand the place those books have in the market eg. some will consider them A grade due to their own personal preferences, or people will recognise them as B grade but want that escapism, but for me, there are too many good books in the first place. Between Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, Oni, the big two and so on, and given that I like many genres and writing styles, I literally never need to buy a fine or even good book. I can just buy 30 books that obliterate my mind and know I'll come back to them for years and that I've hit what I'm willing to spend on comics.

If I had more money, or less other needs such as other hobbies like games, or going and doing thing in real life with my girlfriend and kid, I probably would keep going and buy books that are *B grade* too. As it is, there are so many top quality books out, I have no need or place on my book shelf for disposable fiction that I might read and never come back to. This is a pure preference though, and not something I assert that everyone should be doing. If you want to buy a book regardless of it's reviews because it has that green lanter you like it in, or the artist draws some really nice T n A, or anything reason really, that's fine by me. I'll always advocate what I think is a real literary experience first though, because that's what I go in for, books that will change how I think about fiction, or life, or whatever. Books that change me.

Netprints

I need some help. I want to get into comics, mostly marvel, where do I start? Whats good? I bought the first volume of guardians of the galaxy. It is okay so far. But where else do I start. There seems to be soooo many different storylines (timelines) that I don't want to jump into a comic that makes no sense to me. Just need some help.

I need some help. I want to get into comics, mostly marvel, where do I start? Whats good? I bought the first volume of guardians of the galaxy. It is okay so far. But where else do I start. There seems to be soooo many different storylines (timelines) that I don't want to jump into a comic that makes no sense to me. Just need some help.

What characters are you interested in

To add to the A/B comments. I think there are also different types of fans. There are folks who are just straight up fans of the medium, and there are folks who are fans of characters, or fans of artists/writers. What fills your need is going to be determined by the type of fan you are. That said I think it's important to have a welcoming environment to all fans, since all of them are needed to keep the industry going.

Iron man, Thor, Captain America. and Hulk. But I would be down for stuff like ant-man because I want to learn more about him.

The Thor book currently being written by jason aaron has been absolutely amazing. It's been my first time reading thor. Previous knowledge not demanded beyond "norse god of thunder," for the most part.

arkon

Did we read the same thing? Her race and religion are the only topics of conversation. The issue starts with her drooling over bacon, or crying out loud.

I'm not even going to go into how Kamala equates being white with being beautiful (or at the very least, being not white with being not beautiful) at the end of the chapter.

How does that follow? So if she had transformed into Faiza Hussain instead, that would be Kamala equating being white to being not beautiful and also being not white to being beautiful?

Yeah it depends on what characters you're into, but look up anything that relaunched with their Marvel NOW! initiative. That's pretty much the best starting point you're going to have and there are quite a few trade paperbacks coming out now (Avengers and New Avengers TBPs launch in March and April - the hardcovers are 3 or 4 books in at this point).

I've been reading Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z, Thor: God of Thunder and Indestructible Hulk (Vol 1. paperbacks of those last two just released). I like them all a lot and they're all good starting points for where these characters are at currently.

I also cannot recommend Hawkeye and Captain Marvel enough. Love both those books. Can't speak for the current run of Iron Man as I haven't read it. Never been a huge fan of his solo books.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I loved the Beyond tv series, but I hated the
"Terry is the secret son of Bruce"
coda episode. Sort of undermined the whole "self-determination" core of Batman, imo. I'm really enjoying the BB 2.0 comic though.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it undermined any aspect of Terry. All it did was provide a good story connecting two animated shows. Terry still became the Batman and earned the cape and cowl through his own actions and dedication, without any knowledge of his "real" lineage. His genes didn't give him his moral compass and they didn't give him the resolve necessary to be the Batman.

arkon

On the A grade/B grade comic thing, this is just how I look at it: There are so many A grade comics if you look in the right places, and are into a diverse set of genres, publishers etc., I would never need to buy a *B grade book* as we're calling them, or books that are fine disposable fun in my mind.

I understand the place those books have in the market eg. some will consider them A grade due to their own personal preferences, or people will recognise them as B grade but want that escapism, but for me, there are too many good books in the first place. Between Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, Oni, the big two and so on, and given that I like many genres and writing styles, I literally never need to buy a fine or even good book. I can just buy 30 books that obliterate my mind and know I'll come back to them for years and that I've hit what I'm willing to spend on comics.

If I had more money, or less other needs such as other hobbies like games, or going and doing thing in real life with my girlfriend and kid, I probably would keep going and buy books that are *B grade* too. As it is, there are so many top quality books out, I have no need or place on my book shelf for disposable fiction that I might read and never come back to. This is a pure preference though, and not something I assert that everyone should be doing. If you want to buy a book regardless of it's reviews because it has that green lanter you like it in, or the artist draws some really nice T n A, or anything reason really, that's fine by me. I'll always advocate what I think is a real literary experience first though, because that's what I go in for, books that will change how I think about fiction, or life, or whatever. Books that change me.

Snyder certainly changed the way I think about my mentors. I like to start a new day with a new Snyder-monologue in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom