• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Let's see.

Thor : Awesome, great art and the Roxxon Energy Corporation. (There's a blast from the past)
Transformers : Awesome, Prime being awesome, Megatron being awesome, Shockwave planning 100,000 steps ahead.
Batman : Eh, sorry Snyder, still don't care about Harper.
New X-men : Fun but Angela why are you even there? You don't fit it.

Harper was the best thing about it.

>:[

You people would wish Nocenti on poor Lois. First DC dissolves her marriage to create that awful SMWW pairing that will change the DC Universe forever™, then Lobdell gives her electric-psychic-whatsit powers, and now you want Nocenti to render the Pulitzer Prize -winning journalist wholly unintelligible.

monome

You people would wish Nocenti on poor Lois. First DC dissolves her marriage to create that awful SMWW pairing that will change the DC Universe forever™, then Lobdell gives her electric-psychic-whatsit powers, and now you want Nocenti to render the Pulitzer Prize -winning journalist wholly unintelligible.

yes.

let DC break her.

this is the Nu52. the World is meaner. every decision counts.
Make this series into how Lane becomes a alcoholic because she doesn't have to rely on her smarts and, huuummm, goods to get stories now that she knows, everything.

then the twist would be to get Wonder Woman and Lois Lane together. that would sell.

Messi

Pls spike. How can you hate SMWW. You hurt me.

Holy shit haha, I'm not even sure what I'm reading, just that it's some sort of genius. This article confirms to me why I'm a reader and consumer, not a creator or artist.

Crazy btw guys, WW is one of my top two DC favourites, effectively because she isn't a superhero but an amazonian greek demi-god in it, and it rotates around the greek pantheon and tells a tale very much in the style of the greek myths. I'll drop it if the next writer reverts to regular superheroics, I hope that stuff will remain contained to JL and SM/WW. Let it be noted though, that this is the first WW book I've ever followed. Just goes to show you can't win with everyone.

Holy shit haha, I'm not even sure what I'm reading, just that it's some sort of genius. This article confirms to me why I'm a reader and consumer, not a creator or artist.

Crazy btw guys, WW is one of my top two DC favourites, effectively because she isn't a superhero but an amazonian greek demi-god in it, and it rotates around the greek pantheon and tells a tale very much in the style of the greek myths. I'll drop it if the next writer reverts to regular superheroics, I hope that stuff will remain contained to JL and SM/WW. Let it be noted though, that this is the first WW book I've ever followed. Just goes to show you can't win with everyone.
I think it would be cool if WW was the main character. It's been apparent aince the first issue she is not. This story has to be one of the most decompressed things this side of Bendis.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Triangle motif? The fuck?

I quickly scanned it but he's totally right. The colors within the scenes and the lighting/shadows do form triangles on a good number of those pages and direct your eyes. I'm going to fully read the post after work but it seems super interesting and reverse-engineering comics is pretty cool, because you know, great writers and artists put actual thought into their work.

Somebody tell Matt to reverse-engineer a Lobdell comic. See if he just posts a link to google image search for "horseshit".

ReiGun

iyemFmp0N0hgZ.gif

I think it would be cool if WW was the main character. It's been apparent aince the first issue she is not. This story has to be one of the most decompressed things this side of Bendis.

Well, granted I'm behind you guys man, they're only up to issue 18 via trade, so I can't speak to the last few months, but I dunno. She's definitely part of a wide, pretty cool, cast but I think I'd characterise her as the lead for sure. She's most proactive character, everyone turns to her in each situation/conflict, the book is being driven mostly by the drama surrounding her parentage and what happened to the amazonians, which is a plight pretty personal to her. The hell arc, the arc where they go to posidon and hades and trick them,
Apollo
getting the throne, Orion, most of it has been pretty WW-centric and following her so far. Maybe the most recent story has focused on the side characters to flesh them out more.

This is one of those things though, where reading by trade, a story is just a story and I read it and it's done. If the story is about the people around her, I don't have to put up with six months of reading that, I just read the story, move onto other series until the next trade drops. I have a different set of frustrations such as waiting inbetween, DC's lazy trade release schedule, but I don't have any of that between opening the pages and putting them down on a full arc. So maybe I'm not the best to judge. I would drop it though if the book changed focus though.

frye

This is cool as hell.

Ben Urich, a reporter and friend of Daredevil, listens to the murder of a source who confessed to being bribed by the Kingpin to bear false witness against Daredevil (who, you of course all know, was actually introduced in Miller’s very FIRST issue of DAREDEVIL as writer and artist. DUH, i know, 101 shit, but here we are).

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

Amazing X-Men #4 Preview (CBR)

It doesn't get talked about much, but with all the sh*t going on with the X-Men comics today this is the book that comes closest to the core principles of what an X-book should be about. Emotional, enjoyable, and living up that adjective every time. (So far) it's the book where all of the ongoing drama of time-displaced teenage X-Men and schisms and anti-mutant hysteria just falls away.

Pls spike. How can you hate SMWW. You hurt me.
Don't misunderstand; I'm not hating on the book, not when I know almost nothing about it. By willful action, and for the sake of my health, I know almost nothing about it.

Sometimes when I read a professional reviewers review I have to make a judgement call whether they are actually reviewing it or if they are part of the marketing team and are actively trying to push the book as though they have a financial interest in it's success.

Amazing X-Men #4 Preview (CBR)

It doesn't get talked about much, but with all the sh*t going on with the X-Men comics today this is the book that comes closest to the core principles of what an X-book should be about. Emotional, enjoyable, and living up that adjective every time. (So far) it's the book where all of the ongoing drama of time-displaced teenage X-Men and schisms and anti-mutant hysteria just falls away.

I'll definitely be checking it out when it goes trade man. Really blown away by how good the two Bendis x books have been, but Jason Aaron is one of my favourite writers period, with no misgivings about anything he's done. So I'll give it a shot for sure, and with Latour on W&TXM, they could build up some really good stuff between each other too.

I'm trying not to go crazy down the rabbit hole here. After not reading marvel books for so long, and now I'm on a good few, I'd really like to stay where the quality is at, and 4 x-men team books sounds overkill for my wallet, but if they be good, I can't no to good creators doing good work, whether it'd independent work or superhero work.

Sometimes when I read a professional reviewers review I have to make a judgement call whether they are actually reviewing it or if they are part of the marketing team and are actively trying to push the book as though they have a financial interest in it's success.

IGN? Tell me it's IGN.

Also, why in the fuck are they canceling Justice League of America? It's like one of DC's top selling books at the moment. I don't understand why they hate their Justice League books [International] and axe them while other books languish at the bottom of the charts.

IGN? Tell me it's IGN.

Got it in one bro.

Owzers

IGN reviews got me into monthly comics...i still like em. Only time i doubt them is when they give a dc book a good review.

Also that All New X-Men review...different tastes and stuff.

SRG01

I'd say it's better than just worth checking out, imo it's one of the absolute best pieces of work in the medium in the last decade. Incredible piece of work that sits nice and complete as a 4 volume series. Just a great piece of twisting fiction with an incredibly hard edge to it due to the factual nature of a lot of the stuff that pops up in it. Also I loved the paper they used for the trades, so there's that too.

Jesus, the (non-spoiler) review for x-men legacy here makes the series sound phenomenal Click Sounds like Spurrier managed to come in and do exactly what he wanted to do.

Legacy was the best X-Men book this season. The final blurb by Spurrier really nails it.

Got it in one bro.

Haha, there was never any doubt in my mind man. How can you expect anything else when they gave a game review position to a guy who was a professional extra on television shows prior to joining them.

IGN reviews got me into monthly comics...i still like em. Only time i doubt them is when they give a dc book a good review.

Also that All New X-Men review...different tastes and stuff.

Why would you do this, everything has been so chill today.

It was, best series of the past few years IMO. Best X-Book since X-Statix. And those covers.

Legacy was the best X-Men book this season. The final blurb by Spurrier really nails it.

So stupid. Everything was so good for me when I was ignoring Marvel books, now I just keep finding things to buy :( I hope they do stuff like this more often now, especially since they're committed to seasons of stuff or however they want to put it. If they already know they are going to refresh a book with a new creative/direction every 18-24 issues, why not put stuff out that is pitched to finish at that point for good, and end up with books like this which are full, complete, successful runs that end oppose to cancelled with really cramped attempts at tying things up. Makes for a good library in the future.

Owzers

Why would you do this, everything has been so chill today.

Can't.....help myself. I just started reading my backlog of Wonder Woman issues yesterday with #15, good stuff. I forgot half of what was going on though...but i'm rolling with it instead of rereading. I love Chiang's art on the book and i'm one of those people who enjoy a large cast of characters the book has and don't mind that it isn't all Wonder Woman all the time. It's still her book though.

I tend to agree with Comic Vines generous reviews. I'm not usually disgusted enough with comics to warrant a 1-2 star review and they don't either. I can only name a handful of comics that I have read that were terrible enough to completely trash. Villains month Joker and Damian Son of Batman come to mind.

Also, why in the fuck are they canceling Justice League of America? It's like one of DC's top selling books at the moment. I don't understand why they hate their Justice League books [International] and axe them while other books languish at the bottom of the charts.

Got it in one bro.
Im disappointed we never got to really see that lineup in action. Loved those brahs.

tim1138

I always assume reviews from Rama, CBR, and ComucVine are like video game reviews and just paid marketing by the publishers.

GrandHarrier said:

Story reasons. I seem to remember them teasing that there may not even be an America left post Forever Evil. Realistically though, blame Diane Nelson and her two book maximum for Johns. He always sounded pretty excited about that book and exploring the characters relationships.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I took Bendis' class at Portland State. When Fraction came in, he had us all reverse-engineer a page from Batman: Year One. It was one of my favorite assignments.

Do you write, Bronson? I'd love to hear more about that if you can recall any specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom